COZS North shoot Jan. 3

Place to find and meet up with other members of the ZS community in your area of the world and organize. Note: ZS is not responsible if you find the crazy people.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Squirrley

Re: COZS North shoot Jan. 3

Post by Squirrley » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:51 pm

Is this just a drive down one day, camp, shoot in morning, drive back up? Or like a friday-saturday-sunday thing?
Group kitchen-y stuff is always a good idea, I think. Giant pot of hot water for drinks/etc, and I'd like to at least do a big dinner. I've got at least one dish in mind that I'd like to see how hard/easy it is to make in the field, and car-camping seems like a good intermediary step.

I also am planning on driving my subaru down - not very good ground clearance but I am strong with the hippie ways I think, and thus will be able to meditate my hippie-mobile over any high-centering obstacles. Or something. I can probably take 2 or 3 (or possibly 4 if we like duct-taping people/things to the roof rack) other people. I would not be opposed to setting up some sort of car shuttle thing, but that's probably best left to set up on-site.

Gear:

*My dad has some sort of tarp sunshade structure type thing(basically a bunch of big sticks with little metal pokey bits to go into the grommets, and I believe one big expandable center pole thing) that I'm sure we could rig up, especially with the use of cars. If someone has a more real shade shelter/tent, (like one of those nifty collapsible ones or the like) it'd probably be better, although I'll bring at least a tarp or two anyways.

*A folding table or two for the kitchen (and possibly gun stuff) would be needed I think, we might have one still (but I can't remember, and it might be interesting trying to strap it to a subaru roof rack or something. Unless I find a short one)

*Stove - It would probably be easier to cook on a 'normal' car camping stove than to do it over a fire pit, I think. We have a double-burner Coleman propane stove that I may be able to borrow. Others (like DN/R's) could be helpful too. Actually having DN/R's as a hot water one leaving the double burner open for cooking might be all we need, unless someone wants to to a real fancy group meal.

*Cooler. For real food, and possibly for cold drinks depending on how hot it is. Again, I have access to several of varying sizes.

*Everyone needs to remember to bring folding camp chairs! I have 3 I'll bring, two of which I can loan out. (for a price... of BACON! MUAHAHAHAHA)

Thats all the specialty 'car camping' stuff I can think of. It looks like I have access to some of all of it. Guess we need to set a date, and start a head-count before we can do too much more planning?

I would also not be opposed to a group-buy of ammo. 9mm, maybe some .357/.38 special, (243 and 270 possibly - dad's old deer guns) and does anyone by chance have anything they like to shoot thats chambered in 7mm Mauser? :P
Gundown wrote:Then I saw the bear and thought... holy shit this rum is fucking awesome!

firestorm

Post by firestorm » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:12 am

I’m in depending on the date. I have the usually camping gear.
I also have access to 2-10x10 easy-up tents (standard white event tents). This will give us a 10x20 foot shade area.
I would need to drive down and could pick people up. The tents will take up the entire back of an SUV so seating will be limited.
I also like the idea of a group meal.

Impus
Favorite Zombie Movies: Die, You Zombie Bastards!

Post by Impus » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:54 pm

As far as dates and duration go, nothing has been set down yet. How about this as a rough idea:

1. I and folks who can make the time for it will show up Friday afternoon/evening and get the basics set up; fire pit, woodpile, potty area, etc. Everyone else can show up Saturday morning/noonish and get their own camps and whatever community gear they bring set up. The afternoon can be spent shooting and hiking (in opposite directions!). We do a group dinner that night, a group breakfast Sunday morning, some more shooting, then teardown, cleanup and go home.

2. Dates... We can't really COUNT on the weather up here being cooperative; As most of you know, in Spring especially, mountain weather can turn 180 degrees on a dime. But a late April thru mid-May date should give us a chance at decent weather. I'd like to try and make Zombiecon this year, so if we can avoid a scheduling conflict there, I'd appreciate it. April 24-25-26 Looks good, May 1-2-3 is Labor Day weekend, 8-9-10 is Mother's Day weekend, 15-16-17 is Armed Forces Day weekend, 22-23-24 Is Memorial Day Weekend.

3. We haven't had any issues with this so far, but I want to make this clear upfront: We don't drink and pack. If you're 21+ and want to crack the scotch out, please put your unloaded firearms in a locked vehicle. Violation of Colorado Statute 18-12-106 is a class 2 misdemeanor, aside from being a generally bad idea. If you're staying dry, please feel free to carry in any legal and responsible manner that you see fit.
Let Me Die Not Quietly, But Valiantly And Violently

ZSC:012 Tenimus Altus Humus

Impus
Favorite Zombie Movies: Die, You Zombie Bastards!

Post by Impus » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:51 pm

Thinking about it, I'm inclined to say that May 15, 16, 17, Armed Forces Day weekend, might make the most sense. Late enough we might get good weather, not a 3-day weekend, so we're more likely to have the place to ourselves. Anyone have an opinion?
Let Me Die Not Quietly, But Valiantly And Violently

ZSC:012 Tenimus Altus Humus

Return to “Meeting Room”