COZS North shoot Jan. 3

Place to find and meet up with other members of the ZS community in your area of the world and organize. Note: ZS is not responsible if you find the crazy people.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

FriedCheese

Re: COZS North shoot Jan. 3

Post by FriedCheese » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:39 pm

Anyone goint to the IDPA shoot the following Saturday? (the 10th). It looks like it's still on and the side shoot is shotgun again :D
Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must.
Duke of Wellington

"Lucky is the man who has to never confront what he is truly capable of"
CSI

Got One?
,——'¯¯';=====±—-
!‚–’¯¯ƒ¹¶

Squirrley

Post by Squirrley » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:14 pm

Zombie Squad doesn't care about weather. It just adds another dimension onto training.
Gundown wrote:Then I saw the bear and thought... holy shit this rum is fucking awesome!

Impus
Favorite Zombie Movies: Die, You Zombie Bastards!

Post by Impus » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:21 pm

I'm in for tomorrow rain, shine, hell or high water in case I hadn't made that clear. I'll be bringing Madwolf, dragging him by his nuthair if he balks. Squirrelly sleeps in the snow so I can't imagine he'll be punking out, but let's let him speak for himself. Jvandenhaus set this shoot up, so I expect he'll be a go. Firestorm probably lives closer to the site than anyone else, so if we can make it, he can make it. You, Friedcheese, are in. I've got a couple of friends I'm trying to strongarm into coming...

The meet is on.
Let Me Die Not Quietly, But Valiantly And Violently

ZSC:012 Tenimus Altus Humus

Impus

Post by Impus » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:34 pm

Squirrley wrote:Zombie Squad doesn't care about weather. It just adds another dimension onto training.
Gumption. Good All-American word (via Scotland). I like gumption...

gump⋅tion
 /ˈgʌmpʃən/[guhmp-shuhn]–noun Informal.
1. initiative; aggressiveness; resourcefulness: With his gumption he'll make a success of himself.
2. courage; spunk; guts: It takes gumption to quit a high-paying job.
3. common sense; shrewdness.
Origin: 1710–20; orig. Scots

I brought my snowshoes and sub-zero clothing. If the snow gets deeper than about 10" on the road, I'll park and hike in with my XD .45, SKS, targets and ammo.

Abacus
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Abacus » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:36 pm

I am in, along with Dirtnapper and Rowan.
(providing, of course, that Dirtnapper manages to sling his arse out of bed on time)

I admit I am a little worried about the weather. Not the snow, because there are a number of us who have faced worse from Impus' camping trips, but the 10-20 mph winds projected. A target stand, which is basically a big cardboard sail, and high winds...well we could practise shooting flying zombies.

I went up there once with Trainwreck and the high winds forced us to abandon our shooting session, bummer.

Bad weather makes good training. ;)
ImageImage

Squirrley

Post by Squirrley » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:10 pm

Jvandenhaus wrote:I admit I am a little worried about the weather. Not the snow, because there are a number of us who have faced worse from Impus' camping trips, but the 10-20 mph winds projected.
I was just up there recently and there was virtually zero snow on the ground, so at least that's good. The wind is gonna be fun and exciting, although there seemed to be a number of largeish rocks lying around as usual.
Gundown wrote:Then I saw the bear and thought... holy shit this rum is fucking awesome!

trainwreck

Post by trainwreck » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:08 pm

All right, I know it's really short notice, but I need a new ride up! My friend got "food poisoning" and wussed out. Impus, If there's still room on the bus, I'd love to hitch on.
trainwreck: ZS12 Official Pack Animal

congochris

Post by congochris » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:32 am

High winds are why you drill great gobbing holes in the feet of the stand and use monster nails to secure then to the ground... Or install posts and use steel free weights to hold them down.

Looks like oldfart and I are going to spend the day cleaning and moving stuff in preperation for the installation of a secure place to store our long arms. Hiding them in my kids' closet when we had to skedaddle out of town showed my mother rather pointedly that paying 1K+ for a safe is cheaper than buying all of our guns all over again.

FriedCheese

Post by FriedCheese » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:44 pm

Hey everyone.
Had a great time meeting all of you.

Whoever had the cameras, let's see the PICS!

(Handle names are good enough) :)

My name isn't in Google yet, like to keep it that way 8)
Duke of Wellington

CSI

Got One?
,——'¯¯';=====±—-
!‚–’¯¯ƒ¹¶

Squirrley

Post by Squirrley » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:00 pm

congochris wrote:High winds are why you drill great gobbing holes in the feet of the stand and use monster nails to secure then to the ground... Or install posts and use steel free weights to hold them down.

Or use rocks :P We're cheap, lazy bastards.

Also you guys shoulda come, it was great! tons of people there, we pretty much took over the range. I'm also demanding pics be posted.

trainwreck

Post by trainwreck » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:31 pm

It was a great time, and I was pleased to meet all of you. As for taking over the range, who's gonna fight 9 people with guns?

P.S.: Fried Cheese's Benelli and Saiga were big hits!
trainwreck: ZS12 Official Pack Animal

Impus

Post by Impus » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:13 pm

Got 20 pix, willing to send them to someone with a photobucket account or burn disks for anyone who asks. Going to be fussing around Denver tomorrow, so let me know.

Too tired to write up a proper AAR. Will do in a day or so, after the guns are clean. Had a great time!

FriedCheese

Post by FriedCheese » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:15 pm

IMP - PM sent.
Duke of Wellington

CSI

Got One?
,——'¯¯';=====±—-
!‚–’¯¯ƒ¹¶

firestorm

Post by firestorm » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:32 pm

What a great time, hanging out with this crew makes me realize I need more firepower. I might need a second job to pay for said firepower. Thanks to those who introduced me to new firearms.

Dirt_Napper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead, Resident Evil franchise, Quarantine

Post by Dirt_Napper » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:55 pm

Rowan and I had a great time also. What a wonderful way to spend a warm and tropical Saturday in the lovely state of Colorado. You guys rock. Also, thanks to everyone who helped us haul all the supplies and equipment to and from the vehicles! Anyone want to come over and clean them now? :-S

Dirt

P.S. - Squirrley, I'll post pics when you stop being so damned demanding! :-P (Or when I rest for a little while. I'm beat!)
"I'm afraid we have a zombie problem." - Frank West

rowan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by rowan » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:12 pm

I had a fantastic time and it was great to see the turn out! Thanks JV for bringing the target stands and Imp for grabbing some xtra targets during the LAST MINUTE ammo run. ;-) Not only did I find out I love my AR15 (YAY!), but I also found out the 9 and 45 aren't as scary as I thought they would be. Now, I just need to find ones that fit in my hand really well (or steal DirtNappers..hehehehehe).

But seriously, thanks to you all and I hope to see you again at the next get together.

Rowan

Abacus
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Abacus » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:05 pm

All,

I am really impressed. We had a fantastic turnout, a grand total of about 15 people (Me, my PT buddy, Dirtnapper, Rowan, Impus, Friedcheese, Trainwreck, Madwolf, Squirrley, Firestorm and like three guests.

We pretty much took the place over, setting up two pistol stations and one rifle/shotgun station. There were about five or so non ZSers that showed up, and they were pretty much all jerks between the old man complaining that we were shooting guns too loud and saying he was going to steal all of our brass; and the schmuck who decided to set up his firing line downrange of mine. Luckily there were no incidents.

We ran the practical application of the pistol DVD. Three targets, one no shoot between two hostiles. Advance on the targets while alternating shots between targets. As far as I could tell, everyone did it, and we didn't even do it badly. I'd guess that less than 10% of our rounds missed the targets altogether, and that was mostly in the first run of the course. Three to five runs later, some of us were moving swiftly and producing good groups. It was amusing to see groups of people walking around, traversing their weapons, dry-running the course to drill in the technique. Those were also the people who did the best at it.

Doing the same thing with rifles was embarrassing. That will definitely require more work.

Then we ran the same thing retreating from the targets using the fast step and slow step techniques. I discovered I prefer fast step much to my surprise. I'm not sure how many people actually did the retreat drill. If it wasn't many, then it should be part of the next range day, 6 rounds alternating, then take cover and 2 more rounds alternating fired from cover sounds good to me.

The postal matches weren't as popular. I shot one of them, and I did so badly that I doubt I'll post it. But that's ok, I'd much rather have spent the time on a useful shooting technique than on an artificial scenario.

The weather was cool but clear. No snow, no wind. Seemed to drop into the 20's and up to the 30's depending if the sun was directly on you or not. Some really pretty moments when clouds drifted over the mountaintop. I love Colorado.

Rowan and Dirtnapper cleverly provided coffee, cocoa, tea and soup. And while that was nice, I'm hoping that it won't be quite as cold next time to make that a necessity.

We had two visits from the park rangers. Both were cool . I even managed to give one guy a zombie target with the website on it.

So, as to what went wrong, or could be done better next time.
1. Punctuality. We're a prepper group remember? Have the things you need before the morning you need them.
2. Structure. I would have preferred it if we could have set up both pistol courses up closer to each other. However, some folks really came through here with radios that could be used to communicate between courses. Well done.
3. DON'T SHOOT THE TARGET STANDS! If you feel the need to see what it looks like when you destroy one, make your own.

Other than those things, I think we were a huge success. Lunch at Oscar Blues was good also. Productive. A really neat idea for "adopting" the shooting site for maintenance and cleaning came up. I liked the notion of making a contribution that we actually see the material benefit from.

We have plans on doing part 2 to the DVD, which will then have another range day associated with it. More info to come.

Thanks to everyone who showed up, and helped set up, tear down and make it a success, especially those who came all the way from CO Springs. That was what I wanted COZS to be like.

Ta.
ImageImage

FriedCheese

Post by FriedCheese » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:07 pm

Thanks to IMPUS for the pictures!

"what do you mean you missed?"

PS90

And huge amount of firepower!

Duke of Wellington

CSI

Got One?
,——'¯¯';=====±—-
!‚–’¯¯ƒ¹¶

madwolf
Favorite Zombie Movies: Days of Darkness!

Post by madwolf » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:57 pm

Wow, what an excellent day!

Lots of very valuable instruction courtesy of Jvandenhaus, lots of amazing guns to be shot, courtesy of everyone, lots of ammo to be shot courtesy of Impus and lots of tasty snacks and drinks courtesy of Dirtnapper and Rowan, and of course, lots of great company courtesy of everyone.

Thanks guys for making this an excellent learning and training experience along with a great opportunity to meet some more of the awesome ZS people.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

wrongben
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead Alive, Shaun of the Dead, Boy Eats Girl, Of The Dead Series originals only, Resident Evil, Evil Dead series, Return of Series, and many cheesy B-horror style zombie movies for good laughs

Post by wrongben » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:35 am

It was a fun time up there so a big thanks to everyone that let me use there guns.

Dirt_Napper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead, Resident Evil franchise, Quarantine

Post by Dirt_Napper » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:41 pm

Just a quick note everyone... I'll be posting my pics tomorrow evening... I went to try and post them earlier this week, and I discovered that *ahem* someone (okay, without pointing fingers, it's a female and her name starts with an "R" and ends with an "owan") absconded with my mini-USB cable for my camera! }:->

I cannot convey enough how much I enjoyed this outing, and how much I look forward to our next get together!

Dirt
"I'm afraid we have a zombie problem." - Frank West

Squirrley

Post by Squirrley » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:51 pm

I felt the pistol drilling was extremely beneficial for me. Also drooling over the numerous sets of his/her matching rifles. I can't wait for the southerly camp n shoot!

Impus

Post by Impus » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:25 pm

Yeah, the South Area Camp-n-Shoot should be a good time. I'm gonna throw out some ideas for y'all to chew on...

1. I've scouted the location, but only got out of the van to piss. I want to go back and hike around, see if there are any good dayhikes for those of us desiring exercise. Pix of the site are available to whoever wants to post 'em.

2. One group meal? A critter roast? Group breakfasts? Theme potluck? Coffee urn? Group buy of burgers-n-dogs? Other food ideas? Everyone should, of course, bring enough non-perishables, comfort foods, and snackies to see them through the event, but we could do something mo' betta fo' food.

3. Group ammo buy? Common calibers? How much for Buy-in? We should at least provide some ammo for those who want to shoot the more exotic calibers.

4. Big tent/pavilion for group use?

5. Inclement weather plan. So long as the snow's not deep enough to keep us from driving in and out, I'm OK. But at what point do we reschedule? On the one hand, the idea here is a more comfortable trip than our usual hikes, camps, snowshoots. But on the other hand, we ARE Zombie Squad, after all. Pressing on regardless of conditions is somewhat in order.

6. Speaking of pissing, there is very little cover out there, as the Hayman Fire burnt out all the underbrush. Some sort of arrangement for twelve lords-a-pooping and eleven ladies leaking should be worked out. Town is not so far that we can't make privvy runs, but an "in house" solution should be available.

7. Carpooling. Some of you may have vehicles with zip for ground clearance, or are unreliable. Some of you may just want to be social or save on gas. Sometime after the Food Drive let's start communicating with each other and deciding who wants to ride with whom.

The floor is open!

madwolf
Favorite Zombie Movies: Days of Darkness!

Post by madwolf » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:24 pm

Do we have a rough projected date for this event?

I'd like to try and acquire some hardware beforehand if there's enough time.

I think a ginormous coffee urn would be an excellent idea, I'm sure we'll give one a good workout, especially if it's cold. I'll have to introduce you guys to "Sock" if you're not familiar ;)

Also, a group meal wouldn't be a bad idea, like a big breakfast, or dinner perhaps then everyone fend for themselves for the other meals.

I think a group ammo buy for common calibers would be a good idea as well and stand ready to contribute to such an affair. On a related note, the conclusion to my ammo survey is that .40 is indeed the most plentiful ammo at this time and, more significantly, Gander Mountain has mountains of ammo on hand. I was shocked at their selection, actually. Although, they are a tad pricey I thought.

A good sized common area tent or rainfly arrangement would be nice, especially if there's not much tree cover. Maybe if someone has a white trash pavillion or something?

As for pissing, we could wrap a tarp around a few trees for a little privvy area, maybe. That way the world is watching one take a dump.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Return to “Meeting Room”