COZS North shoot Jan. 3

Place to find and meet up with other members of the ZS community in your area of the world and organize. Note: ZS is not responsible if you find the crazy people.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Abacus
ZS Member
ZS Member

COZS North shoot Jan. 3

Post by Abacus » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:20 am

All COZS,

As you may have already noticed, we are planning a shooting day as a follow up to our "day of the pistol" training DVD.

The day: Saturday Jan 3.
The time: First RV is at 0730

The directions:
The first RV point is Wild Bill's Grill in Lyons. 160 Main Street,
Lyons, CO 80540, for those of you who wish to map it. I will be at the Grill eating breakfast at 0730. All those who wish to caravan up to the shoot site are encouraged and welcome to join me there. Besides, the food is good. Their pancakes are awesome. So, breakfast will probably last for about a half hour or so, depending as people show up. If all goes swift and well, we leave the comforts of Lyons behind us around 0800 and drive up to the shoot site, which should put us there around 0830 or so.

I know plenty of us are capable of finding these sites just based on the lat and long and their GPS. I however am not yet that sophisticated, so...google maps to the rescue.http://maps.google.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Just go to google maps, paste in the coordinates, and it will give you the map of the location. Then add your address for directions to the site from your very own residence. What a marvelous modern age we live in.

North Shooting Spot

N40 10.002 W105 27.509

The agenda as I see it so far:

There are three things I think would be a good thing for us to do.
1. Have fun converting money into noise. Bring some of your toys. Bring ammo to try out someone else's toys. Learn something new about a weapon you've never handled before.

2. Do the Zombie Squad postal match. If the Jan one is up by then, we'll try it, if not, we'll run the Dec one for giggles.

3. A few weeks ago some of us got together and watched a pistol training DVD. That DVD covered a few things like moving while firing, two techniques for retreating while firing and firing from cover. The DVD also had certain scenarios set up with cover, shoot and no-shoot targets. I was planning on setting up our course of fire based on that.
For those of you who couldn't make it and are worried about being behind the class, don't sweat it. These are very basic tactical tools. If you missed the DVD, I am positive you will be able to grasp in 15-20 minutes what it Bill Wilson like 90 minutes to demonstrate.
These techniques and drills will of course not transform you into a Mr. William Badass, but they will give you something new to consider and practise other than standing still and punching holes in paper.

What you should bring:
A good attitude!
Whichever pistols, rifles or shotguns you want to shoot or show off and of course all the mags and ammo and other accessories that go with them, including a holster. Any ammo for weapons you know someone else has that you want to try. The most common rounds are probably 9mm, .45, 5.56, 7.62x39 and 12G. If you don't have a weapon, buy some of those and I guarantee you will have something to shoot. I personally plan on bringing some 5.7mm to try out Dirtnapper's FN P90.

I'd also suggest ear and eye protection, a hat or sunblock, some water maybe a little snack bar, sturdy clothing and footwear (I don't know how cold or snowy it will be up there, so consider warm clothing layers, caps and gloves if necessary).
Bring your own targets with tape, tacks or staples to hold them. I will have about a dozen target stands. For the training scenario, I think we will use 6 stands for the stage, so we will be able to set up at least two stages. If you have your own stands, I suggest bringing them. You may also want to bring some sort of tarp or ground cover (again, not knowing what the conditions will be exactly) I usually bring my poncho liner.

Whew, not finished yet.

Myself, I plan on bringing a small assortment of weapons. A few 9mms a 10mm and a .45, maybe a couple of .357's. A couple shotguns, my AR, my AK.

Possibly my M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, SKS, .357 lever action or some of my C&R bolt actions if anyone is interested. I also have a simple little .22 rifle and pistol if someone wants to shoot cheap.

If anyone wants one of the possibles, let me know ahead of time. You buy the ammo, I'll bring the weapon.

For those of you that have weapons you would like to share with others, please feel free to post your lists here, so we can see them and buy our own ammo accordingly.

I'd also like to see those who plan on attending, respond in here, just so I can have a rough head count to expect. This isn't limited to ZSers if you have a shooting buddy you want to bring, bring. I'll be inviting some guys from my PT club.

Any questions?
ImageImage

Squirrley

Re: COZS North shoot Jan. 3

Post by Squirrley » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:20 am

Sounds glorious. I'll be dragging up one of my .22s and my/my dad's 9mm, and possibly (depending on how Christmas goes :P) my sporterized Mauser, along with my target stand. If anyone needs extra hearing protection I can probably find tons.

And, of course, I'm in for breakfast. YAAAY BACON!

And, as always, I'm glad to give rides. Although I think there's no one in between my house and the range, I might be convinced to take a detour. For bacon.
Gundown wrote:Then I saw the bear and thought... holy shit this rum is fucking awesome!

trainwreck

Post by trainwreck » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:29 am

FOOD!!!!!

Oh, and a .40 S&W, a .357 mag and a spanking new (to me) 12 gauge shall accompany me.
trainwreck: ZS12 Official Pack Animal

Impus
Favorite Zombie Movies: Die, You Zombie Bastards!

Post by Impus » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:15 am

I'm there with bells made from empty casings on. Bringing .45, 7.62, .30-06, and 12g. I'll probably spend the night before in Denver, so I don't have to drive all the way in one early-morning shot.
Let Me Die Not Quietly, But Valiantly And Violently

ZSC:012 Tenimus Altus Humus

madwolf
Favorite Zombie Movies: Days of Darkness!

Post by madwolf » Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:31 pm

I'm in depending on my finances, essentially, if I can afford the ammo, I'm in. If not, I may come along anyway to hang out and watch, a day in the mountains is better than a day at home anytime ;)
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

congochris

Post by congochris » Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:39 pm

I'll (hopefully) be in woodland park taking the tech exam for a HAM radio license.

Failing that, I'll be at the co springs REI members only garage sale. :lol:

There's definately a lot going on that day.

trainwreck

Post by trainwreck » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:58 am

congochris wrote:
There's definitely a lot going on that day.
I know! I've got shooting in the morning, a birthday party for a friend in the afternoon/early evening, and a concert at night.

I should probably take the fourth off as well.

anotheroldfart
Favorite Zombie Movies: Hell, they're all good.

Post by anotheroldfart » Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:31 pm

Chris' and my plans just went out the window. Just got notified that my mother passed early this morning. We may be back by the 3rd, but after driving to OK, arranging and attending a funeral and driving back, we won't be in any shape for anything.

Have fun, with the shoot, and be safe!
Murphy's Military Corolary #1
Remember, your weapon system was provided by the lowest bidder...

Squirrley

Post by Squirrley » Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:25 pm

Oh geeze, my condolences.
Gundown wrote:Then I saw the bear and thought... holy shit this rum is fucking awesome!

Impus

Post by Impus » Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:08 pm

Condolences, AOF. Safe travels.

madwolf

Post by madwolf » Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:56 pm

Damn man, sorry to hear that, my condolences.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

FriedCheese

Post by FriedCheese » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:36 am

Oldfart, I'm sorry for you and your family's loss.
Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must.
Duke of Wellington

"Lucky is the man who has to never confront what he is truly capable of"
CSI

Got One?
,——'¯¯';=====±—-
!‚–’¯¯ƒ¹¶

FriedCheese

Post by FriedCheese » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:53 am

Just confirmed I can come and play. I'm on-call so pending a Y2K bug on that day I'll be there.

I'll have my XD in 9mm; AR-15 in .223 & .22LR(got Spike Tactical conversion); Tricked 10/22;GSG-5 22LR; Saiga 12ga; Benelli M4 12ga.
***(most will stay in the truck unless someone wants to try them. First box of 22LR ammo is on me of course (550 rounds).
So if any above sounds like a good money waster to you / bring money or ammo and your welcome to send down range as fast as you'd like.

I personally would recommend 12ga crowd pleasers (semi-auto 12ga's) Ammo to get: wallymart-kills-the-little-store of Federal 1200 FPS bird shot or Remington bird shot 1200 FPS - or any 00, 000, slugs. I think you can still get 15rds of 00 for $10 from wally.

It'll be great to meet you all.
~Cheese.
Duke of Wellington

CSI

Got One?
,——'¯¯';=====±—-
!‚–’¯¯ƒ¹¶

Impus

Post by Impus » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:05 pm

Madwolf: If you wanna ride up with me that morning, you're welcome to. And any chance you've got crash space the night before?

madwolf

Post by madwolf » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:45 pm

Yes and yes, our couch is super comfy, I know, I nap on it all the time :D

Impus

Post by Impus » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:23 pm

Groovy. For this trip we need cargo space, so the Zombie Bus can take me, Madwolf, and two more folk +gear. Sound off if ya wanna ride!

Squirrley

Post by Squirrley » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:52 am

OOoooooh I wanna ride on the zombie bus! As long as it doesn't try to eat me.

Abacus
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Abacus » Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:16 pm

99 zombies outside of the bus,
99 zombies outside,
If one of those zombies should happen bite someone,
100 zombies outside of the bus.

Hmm, that didn't work out as well as I had originally thought.
ImageImage

firestorm

Post by firestorm » Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:33 pm

I'm in, I just got the ok by the real boss (my wife.) I will bring the 12g, SA XD 9mm and 10/22 (I need to 0 in the tech sights.) I'll also bring the auto reset target for the 22's. See you at the grill at 7:30am.

Impus

Post by Impus » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:05 pm

Zombie Bus crewmembers: Impus, Madwolf, Squirrelly. Got room for one more, who's in?

Impus

Post by Impus » Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:39 pm

Zombie Bus is currently putzing around Denver. Friday I'll need to do an ammo run, as my supplies are somewhat limited. Friday night at Madwolf's place. Saturday morning get on the road around garbage-man time, pick up Squirrelly in Boulder, meet folks in Lyons, go shootin'. And REI is having a sale that day, so if we get back in time, I may hit the flagship store downtown.

trainwreck

Post by trainwreck » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:39 am

Everyone, it looks like it's gonna be cold. Don't forget your thermals and gloves!

Impus

Post by Impus » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:26 pm

Brought my cold weather gear and oiled my boots. New pair of YakTrax waiting to be tried out. Nothing less than 2' of snow, -50F temps, or the Zombocolypse will stop this trip!

FriedCheese

Post by FriedCheese » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:38 pm

So... who without a doubt will be going tomorrow morning?
*me
and...
Duke of Wellington

CSI

Got One?
,——'¯¯';=====±—-
!‚–’¯¯ƒ¹¶

Return to “Meeting room”