Colorado Springs/Denverites: Who wants CPR/AED training?

Place to find and meet up with other members of the ZS community in your area of the world and organize. Note: ZS is not responsible if you find the crazy people.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Would you be willing to pay $20 - $50 for a CPR/AED class?

Yes
67%
No, that is too expensive
11%
Maybe...if it's under $30
11%
That's a lot of money, but I am willing to help plan a fundraiser to subsidize the cost for ZS members.
No votes
Not interested in becoming CPR/AED certified.
No votes
Already certified.
11%

Total votes: 9

posie

Colorado Springs/Denverites: Who wants CPR/AED training?

Post by posie » Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:12 am

In reference to this thread: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 66#p769412" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Impus, I just wanted to add some stuff about the CPR classes. I'm certified to teach as a BLS Healthcare Instructor with the American Heart Association, which means that I can teach BLS level and below, such as Friends & Family, Heartsaver, etc. As some of you know, I was an EMT-II and volunteer firefighter for 3 years in rural Alaska, and I taught CPR/AED to my fellow EMTs there. I also teach CPR/AED classes to my coworkers at my current job.

In order for me to teach the class, I would need to rent supplies. The most cost-effective method would be to teach 2-3 classes in one day and get 12-18 people certified. Each class holds 6 students and requires 4.5 hours. I am not allowed to "borrow" training materials from my work, where I also teach CPR/AED. Sorry.

We could rent the manikins/dummies, training AED, and DVD. Unless the students want to buy their own book for $15 (at cost, we might want to charge more?), we can just keep them and reuse them for each class.

Items needed:
Student textbooks: $15 each or $90 for 6. Optionally each student would get their own book to take home. My plan is to buy 6 books and use them as reference-only (i.e., nobody takes their book home).
Mandatory One-Day Rental of 2 dummy kits, 2 trainer AEDs, 2 ambu-bags, and one training DVD: $135
Mandatory face masks to use with the ambu-bag (BVM), 1 per student, $2.50 each
Mandatory $4 fee to the American Heart Assoc. for each student's certification card
Optional: a take-home "pocket face mask" for each student, $6 each
---------------------------------
Total for 6 students: $44-$50 per student (low cost is without the optional pocket mask and no take-home textbook)
Total for 12 students: $25.25 - $38.75 per student
Total for 18 students: $19-$35 per student
These prices are before tax and assume that we have a free meeting space in which to teach the class.

The maximum number of classes I could teach in a day is 3 classes. That is 15 hours of work including 1/2 hour per class for remediation - realistically we would have the first class begin at 8AM sharp on a Saturday for the early risers. If I taught three classes back-to-back I wouldn't get done until 10 o'clock at night. However, since the students are already paying a lot of money per class I would be happy to donate my time as a volunteer. Depending on who we rent the training equipment from, we might be able to rent the dummies and training DVD for a whole weekend. Then we could teach up to six classes total.

Also, the pricelist for the equipment is through the Colorado CPR Association which is located in Denver. If we teach in the Springs, I would have to find a different agency to rent from. The prices I listed are from the CO CPR Assoc., their price list is here: http://www.cocprassn.com/prices/Pricelist1.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The whole class is video-based and would require a large room with a television/DVD player. We could easily use a library conference room or perhaps PoorImpulseControl could get us some meeting space through his work. Ideally I want someplace that is free.

Ideally we would collect payment in advance of the class for each student to reserve his/her spot in the class, unless we could do a fundraiser to front the capital for the equipment rental beforehand.

What do you guys think? Would you be willing to pay $20 - $50 for a CPR/AED class? Just to let you know, this is a bargain -- typical prices for the BLS Healthcare Provider classes in Denver are $50 without the book, or $59 with the book. You can find training courses anywhere through the AHA website: http://www.americanheart.org/presenter. ... er=3012360" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I can get enough interest, I will contact places regarding equipment rental and get some firm numbers. I live in Colorado Springs, but if we have enough interest, I would be happy to teach classes in Denver.
Last edited by posie on Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

trainwreck

Re: Colorado Springs/Denverites: Who wants CPR/AED training?

Post by trainwreck » Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:20 am

I like the idea, but I am one poor mofo. More people need to sign up for this!
trainwreck: ZS12 Official Pack Animal

posie

Post by posie » Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:22 am

trainwreck wrote:I like the idea, but I am one poor mofo. More people need to sign up for this!
Agreed. It's a lot of money for a class. I also hate fundraising, so I'm not terribly keen on the idea of having to figure out ways to make money so we can subsidize the cost.

Abacus
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Abacus » Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:41 am

I can afford it, I'd do it.
ImageImage

CandiceV
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (original version, Diary of the Dead, Dance of the Dead, Dead in Breakfast (if that one counts)

Post by CandiceV » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:14 pm

My honey and I have been meaning to do this for quite some time and would be interested providing it takes place after December 19th (we are won't be able to afford it until than). If its alright I'll also see if I can't get a couple workmates/friends interested as well to help bring down prices.

Squirrley

Post by Squirrley » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:42 pm

I'm going to need my CPR updated in like 6 month when it expires, but I'll probably be doing it up north with Firestorm and others, or up in Dillon at the local ARC place where I got it done last year.
Gundown wrote:Then I saw the bear and thought... holy shit this rum is fucking awesome!

firestorm

Post by firestorm » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:47 pm

Sent you a pm, let me know how I can help.

posie

Post by posie » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:13 pm

Hey y'all,

I need to check around and see if there are any agencies here in the Springs that have dummies to loan. Does anybody have friends at a local FD or some other agency that might have dummies and a training AED that we can borrow?

Candace, it's going to be a few weeks (or maybe months) until I can get this together. Like I mentioned, I have to teach it up in Denver where I work, so with all the commuting and upcoming bad weather, I'm sure I will have my hands full. =P But it's important, and I would love to help folks here get certified.

As Squirrely and Firestorm said, Firestorm has the northern part of COZS covered. We've just gotta figure out a cost-effective way to do it here!

congochris

Post by congochris » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:25 am

Got some guys at work on the el paso county wildfire crew. I'll check with them.

Impus
Favorite Zombie Movies: Die, You Zombie Bastards!

Post by Impus » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:30 pm

I'm in. When I get back from the East coast I'll start looking around for dummies and books we can borrow. If it turns out to be too pricey for folks, let's think about a fundraiser.
Let Me Die Not Quietly, But Valiantly And Violently

ZSC:012 Tenimus Altus Humus

posie

Post by posie » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:56 pm

I have a call in to the Southwest Regional CPR over on Templeton Gap Road. They rent equipment. I'm waiting for an answer on pricing and whether they will process my students' cards.

Also, I talked to the Colorado CPR Assoc. in Denver, and I can rent equipment over a weekend and only pay for 1 day! Pretty awesome!

That means: If we can get commitment (and prepayment) from 24-36 people to take this class (4-6 classes over one weekend), the cost per student would be around $29-$35 including the books. The way this would work is as such: We'd take a poll and gauge interest. Once I had a signup list of at least 24 people, I'd calculate the costs, get an exact estimate from the CPR rental folks, and send out an email so that people can sign up for the class/date/time of their choice.

We could even do 1 class in the Springs, and 1 class in Denver, if people prefer. Again, I don't know what anyone's weekend schedule is like... but if folks are agreeable, shoot me a PM or reply to this thread.

Also...if anyone wants to get certified as an instructor, you can sign up for my class (or another, if you want I can give you the info I've collected so far), and then I can help you find a CPR center where you can take the CPR/AED instructor course. It is really simple and fun, and we can use all the CPR/AED instructors we can get!

Impus

Post by Impus » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:50 pm

Seeing as we've got about 15 people statewide, and the Denver folks are making their own arrangements, we should probably just bite the bullet and figure it's going to be a smaller, spendier class. Either that or everybody hoof it up to Denver and do it with Firestorm and the crew.

Impus

Post by Impus » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:05 pm

Bump to see if there's any interest in this down Springs way.

Return to “Meeting room”