SoCal Events

Place to find and meet up with other members of the ZS community in your area of the world and organize. Note: ZS is not responsible if you find the crazy people.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

toecutter

Re: SoCal Events

Post by toecutter » Sun May 31, 2009 9:28 pm

Ok, so I did some research, the last weekend of june (27-28) is ARRL field day, so I will be busy that weekend working with the TCARA club at prado dam. If anyone feels like attending I'll be making a post about it later.
EMT-B, FEMA-CERT volunteer, NRA certified instructor, Ammunition Manufacturer, General Class License holder, Keeper of the GEARS handbook. Maintainer of W6GLN/R.

California Chapter Forum

muscleman_coffeemesto
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by muscleman_coffeemesto » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:24 am

What the hell is TCARA. When I google it I keep getting the suggestion of Tiara. Don't tell my you make prom dresses for under privileged youth, do you?
I don't believe in karma.
Karma is just justice without satisfaction,
And I don't believe in justice.

toecutter

Post by toecutter » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:30 am

I think this may say more about you than you think.

http://www.tcara.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It was the first result when I googled it...

ARRL field day is an event that tests each club's ability to communicate with other clubs and perform a variety of tasks in order to accrue points, which really only buy you bragging rights. However, it's an opportunity for those who are unfamiliar with amateur radio to see what it's all about, and even try operating a station. I will be operating in 2m, 1.2m (220mhz) in packet and RTTY modes, possibly doing some PSK31 for HF also.
EMT-B, FEMA-CERT volunteer, NRA certified instructor, Ammunition Manufacturer, General Class License holder, Keeper of the GEARS handbook. Maintainer of W6GLN/R.

California Chapter Forum

muscleman_coffeemesto
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by muscleman_coffeemesto » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:30 am

You should bring some of that info to the meeting this sunday.
And I would never wear a tiara, or let my girlfriend wear one. (yeah, I like girls)

muscleman_coffeemesto
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by muscleman_coffeemesto » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:54 pm

Oh, that reminds me. The moped party I'm doing this saturday is still on in Downtown LA.
Info can be found here:
http://www.fistfullofsins.com/schedule.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PaleHorse

Post by PaleHorse » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:26 am

I posted a few event ideas and dates, via email, to those who went to the charity campout. Just wondering what you all wanted to do over the next few months as far as organized activities and events. I like to plan ahead in the event I have to request time off.
CALIFORNIA LINKS
California Chapter Discussion
SoCal - Event Planning

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

PaleHorse

Post by PaleHorse » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:18 pm

These are some of the ideas we came up with at the camping/charity event plus a few of my own. I like to plan ahead so I can get time off of work and be able to plan things around my family activities. Obviously all this can change depending on what the group actually wants to do. All of our events so far have been open to the public so pretty much every event is a public meeting no?

August Shoot - We discussed shooting in August.
I'm free the weekends of the 1st, 15th, 29th

September - open to ideas?
I'm free the weekends of the 12th and 26th.

October - We discussed Drew's idea of having a "Desertcon"
I'm free the weekend of October 10th or 24th. I think this is a great idea. Toecutter's Desertcon idea is looking perfect for this month. I say we start planning it now and work out what classes we can bring to the table. We are still up in the air on location, logistics, days, etc. If we are going to promote it as a statewide "please bug out to our location" type of event we should try to get it all hashed out asap?

November

Some type of Charity/Public Meet
Im free the weekend of the 7th or the 21st. Dani Monster said this is National Homeless Youth Awareness Month . I think a drive to help out this charity, that Dani works with, would be great for our second charity event and first charity event as a Region/Chapter. Planning it now, would give us enough lead time for it to be somewhat successful. If we chose to do this, we should start organizing it now and working on the logistics of it all. Should we promote it regionally, statewide or nationally?

December- Open for ideas. Most likely I will be bugging in with my family for the month of december.
CALIFORNIA LINKS
SoCal - Event Planning

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

muscleman_coffeemesto
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by muscleman_coffeemesto » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:34 pm

Well, we've already used Nacho for the campsite cleanup. I say we use Dani for the homeless thing, although I thought she said October was Homeless Month.
I've tried on several occasions to contact Soopkan in Lucerne Valley so we can use the Lions Club shooting range. He's the president over there, so I can only imagine how busy that guy is right now.
I'll be in SF the weekend of the 7th - 9th meeting up with Ricky and Whisk-i to sign paperwork.

If we want to turn desertcon into just a camping thing, there's always Joshua Tree. It's a National park now, so I guess guns are ok, but no shooting them...

toecutter

Post by toecutter » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:04 pm

If you guys want to just do a regular desert camping trip we can head out to either 29 palms or landers. I have a line on places at both where we can camp, but if we want to do any exploring it's best to do by car. We can shoot at both locations (or nearby anyways).

California Chapter Forum

PaleHorse

Post by PaleHorse » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:07 am

I like toecutter's Desertcon idea. I think shooting is definately part of the event. Whether we have a range on site or have to drive a bit works... Anyone care to lock in any dates?
CALIFORNIA LINKS
SoCal - Event Planning

muscleman_coffeemesto
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by muscleman_coffeemesto » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:50 pm

October 3rd is my 20 year HS reunion, so that weekend is booked. Let's also try to keep Halloween weekend open. That leaves us with a whopping three weekends to nail down for October.
Oct. 9th - 11th
Oct. 16th - 18th
Oct. 23rd - 25th

whisk.e.rebellion
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later. Dawn of the Dead (both versions). Return of the Living Dead. Shaun of the Dead. Dead Alive.

Post by whisk.e.rebellion » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:41 pm

Damn. 29 Palms is a seven hour drive -- each way -- for me...

If you guys do a three day/two night mock bug out, that'd make it worth the drive...
I survived Zombie Con 2011: Full Spectrum Pain
I survived Zombie Con 2012: Our word is "douchebag"
I survived Zombie Con 2014: <Insert inappropriate website here>

Brendan Sullivan

Post by Brendan Sullivan » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:49 pm

whisk.e.rebellion wrote:Damn. 29 Palms is a seven hour drive -- each way -- for me...

If you guys do a three day/two night mock bug out, that'd make it worth the drive...
Same for me. If I can bum a ride with someone for the duration from somewhere nearer like SanFran, I'd consider it.

whisk.e.rebellion
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later. Dawn of the Dead (both versions). Return of the Living Dead. Shaun of the Dead. Dead Alive.

Post by whisk.e.rebellion » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:52 pm

Brendan Sullivan wrote:
whisk.e.rebellion wrote:Damn. 29 Palms is a seven hour drive -- each way -- for me...

Same for me. If I can bum a ride with someone for the duration from somewhere nearer like SanFran, I'd consider it.
If you can make it to Monterey County, you could always ride with me on a SoCal excursion. San Fran is two hours north of me, so it's a bit out of my way to pick someone up for a SoCal trip.

nacho
Favorite Zombie Movies: Sugar Hill (1974)

Post by nacho » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:23 am

PaleHorse wrote:I like toecutter's Desertcon idea.
+1

toecutter

Post by toecutter » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:43 am

How do you guys feel about doing something over a holiday weekend, I don't want to lock in any dates until I get my school schedule worked out, as well as my work schedule worked out. This is part of the reason I've been non-commital about doing anything up north.

Since it sounds like there is enough demand for it, I think I'm going to have to get serious about planning desert-con. I'm not going to limit attendance to ZS, it's going to be an open-invite event, and maybe I can get lucky and line up some speakers.

California Chapter Forum

whisk.e.rebellion
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member

Post by whisk.e.rebellion » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:16 am

toecutter wrote:How do you guys feel about doing something over a holiday weekend
I like the idea of having an extra day to play, but I imagine that travel time would be increased by at least 20% due to holiday traffic.

But don't mind me, I'll just keep my yankee ass up here :lol:

PaleHorse

Post by PaleHorse » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:09 pm

not much holiday traffic on presidents day or columbus day
CALIFORNIA LINKS
SoCal - Event Planning

muscleman_coffeemesto
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by muscleman_coffeemesto » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:32 pm

Hey, starting this month, my work is furloughing my ass anyway. I'll have every friday off from now on. Let's hear it for 10% + pay cuts!
In other words, I'm open. Oh, and count on me to collect my brass from now on. I still have some to drop off with you Drew.

mega-hertz
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, 28 days(the one where Sandra bullock goes to rehab and has to kill her way back to the bar and gets naked a lot when she fights all those zombies)

Post by mega-hertz » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:31 am

muscleman_coffeemesto wrote:October 3rd is my 20 year HS reunion, so that weekend is booked.
my 20 is sept. i think. i'm going to miss it ( R&Rs don't match up). can you go as me micky? :lol:
you could get away with it to, i haven't seen any of those fuck's since june 89' :twisted:
" I'm hiding in Honduras. I'm a desperate man. Send lawyers, guns and money. The $h!t has hit the fan." Warren Zevon......R.I.P.
fart lol!

muscleman_coffeemesto
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by muscleman_coffeemesto » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:08 am

If I went as you, I'd do the Family Guy thing and show up in a space suit and tell everyone I was an astronaut.

mega-hertz
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, 28 days(the one where Sandra bullock goes to rehab and has to kill her way back to the bar and gets naked a lot when she fights all those zombies)

Post by mega-hertz » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:26 am

muscleman_coffeemesto wrote:If I went as you, I'd do the Family Guy thing and show up in a space suit and tell everyone I was an astronaut.
:idea: hell yeah!!! don't forget the cowboy hat and gold chain :lol:
" I'm hiding in Honduras. I'm a desperate man. Send lawyers, guns and money. The $h!t has hit the fan." Warren Zevon......R.I.P.
fart lol!

Return to “Meeting room”