Australians in the house FTW!

Place to find and meet up with other members of the ZS community in your area of the world and organize. Note: ZS is not responsible if you find the crazy people.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Tetra Grammaton Cleric
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Australians in the house FTW!

Post by Tetra Grammaton Cleric » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:14 am

Okay, there's a few of us here...

Let's do a quick whip round and sound off. Several people have expressed the idea of working something out and talking to the ZS Board about exploring the idea of establishing an Australian chapter of some sort.

I know the first thing i'm going to do towards this is actually get my ZS membership sorted (once I have the use of my credit cards back :roll:)

As I discussed with Swearwords in pm's recently, the typical ZS model for regional chapters may not be appropriate as we're scattered over an area larger than the Continental United States of America (I think, don't quote me on that).

That, or we'll have to work like dogs to recruit enough willing live humans in our own states to indulge in charity and disaster awareness with a zombie survival twist with us to justify state ZS chapters.

This is of course all something the ZS Board has the call on, all I'm suggesting here atm is that we get a head count of who's from Australia here, who'd be interested in getting something together and so forth...

Off the top of my head I can think of...

The Gunslinger
Indiana
Tehuringa
Blackmesa
Swearwords
Cleaner
Ranked Below
Cleric (Me)

Did I miss anyone? Forgive if I did, it's getting late and I'm about to drive my 4year old to her grandmother's in Bunbury for a couple of days.

Sing out boys n girls.
-
"I shoot the dead." - Harlen Maguire, The Road to Perdition.

FAK SURVIVOR GARDEN
Hk33k - in memorium.
-

Big Mac

Post by Big Mac » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:03 am

What about Crocodile Dundee?

You call that a knife? This is a knife!

That's a spoon!

I see this isn't your first time playing knifey/spoony!

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:21 am

Damn convicts making up stories to impress the ladies. :lol:

It's a smaller difference than I thought though. We only have about 1.5 mil km2 more than you.
Nothing is ever what it seems, but everything is exactly what it is.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

Tetra Grammaton Cleric
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Tetra Grammaton Cleric » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:09 pm

Hmm, interessssssssssting. I've never done the excercise (hence the "don't quote me on that") before either. Damn the real estate savvy forefathers of your country and their shiny beads and trinkets! :lol: How much did you guys pay for Alaska btw? Was it put on lay-away? :wink:

Just crappy jokes people. Though I'm probably crazy to make jokes like that on Veteran's Day. :shock:

1.5 square million k's? Meh, wait until the rising oceans swallow your coastlines and gigantic earthquakes courtesy of Lex Luthor and/or Beings from the planet formerly known as Krypton seperate the land west of the San Andreas from your mainland.

Our Abroholos Islands will rise from the ocean depths and reveal an entirely new and truly massive (and as mineral rich as the rest of the state, if not moreso) chunk of land for us.
Actually I have a small aluminium dinghy and a TGC flag ready to claim that new land for myself the moment it begins to happen - Preparedness FTW!

The score will be evens-stevens then my friend and I will be God-Emperor of a brave new mining boom fuelled land. 8) Muahahahahahahaha!

You guys also have the advantage of having those deluxe volcanic soils. The majority of our soils are old - old - old.

Whereas we have the old population density advantage. At 1 person person square kilometer/density if we don't want to put up with each other we don't have to. It does also allow for Stations (Giant Ranches) that really are "bigger than Tejas". :wink:
Big Mac wrote:You call that a knife? This is a knife!

That's a spoon!

When that episode of The Simpsons aired way back in the day we looked at each other just knowing that internationally it would haunt us through all eternity.

We were right.

:lol:
-
Last edited by Tetra Grammaton Cleric on Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

FAK SURVIVOR GARDEN
Hk33k - in memorium.
-

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:31 pm

Tetra Grammaton Cleric wrote:Image

Hmm, interessssssssssting. I've never done the excercise (hence the "don't quote me on that") before either. Damn the real estate savvy forefathers of your country and their shiny beads and trinkets! :lol: How much did you guys pay for Alaska btw? Was it put on lay-away? :wink:

Just crappy jokes people. Though I'm probably crazy to make jokes like that on Veteran's Day. :shock:

1.5 square million k's? Meh, wait until the rising oceans swallow your coastlines, giantic earthquakes courtesy of Lex Luthor seperate the land west of the San Andreas from your mainland and our Abroholos Islands rise from the ocean depths and reveal an entirely new and massive chunk of land for us. Actually I have a small aluminium dinghy and a TGC flag ready to claim that new land for myself the moment it happens - Preparedness FTW!

The score will be evens-stevens then my friend. 8) Muahahahahahahaha!

You guys also have the advantage of having those deluxe volcanic soils. The majority of our soils are old - old - old.

Whereas we have the old population density advantage. At 1 person person square kilometer/density if we don't want to put up with each other we don't have to. It does also allow for Stations (Giant Ranches) that really are "bigger than Tejas". :wink:

That's a spoon!

When that episode of The Simpsons aired way back in the day we looked at each other just knowing that internationally it would haunt us through all eternity.

We were right.

-
Hahahahahahah. Serious win.

Seriously, If you ever move to/visit the US, you've got a couch to sleep on, just for that post.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

Tetra Grammaton Cleric
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Tetra Grammaton Cleric » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:49 pm

Cz wrote:...visit the US, you've got a couch to sleep on...
You really do know Australians don't you?

It's the tradition of the travelling Aussie abroad...

"G'day, remember me? We met in a bar in Singapore/I sold you a ticket to the water slides on the Queensland Goldcoast/Your mother met my mother on a canadian cruise/I had sex with your sister during her backpacking days... I'm just on a bit of a hack around the world and while I was in Nuke Magnet I thought I'd look you up. Hey, nice couch - looks comfy. Got any beer? Don't worry if you don't I bought a carton (24 - 30 cans). **sound of beer can opening** What's for dinner? Hey, is your sister free tonight? I'd love to catch up with her..."

-

FAK SURVIVOR GARDEN
Hk33k - in memorium.
-

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:14 pm

Tetra Grammaton Cleric wrote:It's the tradition of the travelling Aussie abroad...
As someone with Australian friends, I can +1000 that.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:37 pm

Yep. I've known several of you, and can say I loved em all. What limited oz-speak I know comes from hanging out w/ them.

Amusing story:
My mother was in Sydney during a storm, and her umbrella flipped inside out, so for several moments she's trying to swing it around the right way in the rain, but she eventually does it and it "fwoomp"ed back into place. She stands there for a second to compose herself, and notices a guy in a doorway clapping his hands loudly going "Well done, good on ya!" and looking genuinely delighted.

Tetra Grammaton Cleric
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Tetra Grammaton Cleric » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:51 pm

Fwoomp. [pronounced:phh-woo-hmp] Cz dictionary definition: The sound of an inverted umbrella suddenly returning to it's originally intended shape.

hahahahahahahaha. Cool.
czechnology wrote:...a guy in a doorway clapping his hands loudly going "Well done, good on ya!" and looking genuinely delighted.
Yep. It's how we roll. We love to root* for the battler. Later that bloke would have told his mates down at the pub about your Mom and they all would have had a shout.

also consider this post a bump Oz.

FAK SURVIVOR GARDEN
Hk33k - in memorium.
-

Big Mac

Post by Big Mac » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:07 pm

Tetra Grammaton Cleric wrote:

That's a spoon!

We were right.

-
Oh your Aussies that is one of the funniest episodes out there!

blackmesa
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (1978 + 2004) (they were both good!)
28 Days Later (I know, not technically a zombie movie, but it's still good)
Night of the Living Dead

Post by blackmesa » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:13 pm

Hooray Australia! I live in Sydney and I'd be interested to see how this turns out. Often, there'll be a surprising number of Aussies on primarily US based forums- I'm so glad the internet was plugged in for Australia all the way back in 2005! :mrgreen:

We can probably establish some kind of survivalist guide to Australia, talking about some of the lesser known threats; drop-bears, warm beer and so on.

Indiana

Post by Indiana » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:37 pm

Dude, If your beer is warm you are really doing it tough :lol:

swearwords

Post by swearwords » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:55 pm

Aaargh, not the drop bears!!! Seriously though, we should do something about all the Bundy drinkers, like check to see if their insides actually work properly...

Last time i had a bottle, we used it to strip the paint off my mates Datsun Stanza. ha ha, can't get much more Australian than Datsuns and Bundy....

But on a more serious note, an Australian chapter would be a nice thing to have, I'll start recruiting some of my non sceptic friends as soon as possible....
Ignore the smoke...

swearwords

Post by swearwords » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:57 pm

blackmesa wrote: We can probably establish some kind of survivalist guide to Australia, talking about some of the lesser known threats; drop-bears, warm beer and so on.
Make sure that we inculde radioactive South Australian Killer Possums in the guide, when a possum weighs 97kg and has 7 inch fangs, its time to be scared.... those nuclear tests have some explaining to do.
Ignore the smoke...

Tetra Grammaton Cleric
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Tetra Grammaton Cleric » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:31 pm

blackmesa wrote:Hooray Australia! I live in Sydney and I'd be interested to see how this turns out. Often, there'll be a surprising number of Aussies on primarily US based forums- I'm so glad the internet was plugged in for Australia all the way back in 2005! :mrgreen:

We can probably establish some kind of survivalist guide to Australia, talking about some of the lesser known threats; drop-bears, warm beer and so on.
[Warning Sign:] DO NOT FEED THE AMERICANS UNNECESSARILY. [/Warning Sign:]

-------------------------------------------------

I got a pm from TheGunslinger in Canberra. He's busy atm but is keen to try and get something together.

-------------------------------------------------

Indiana - Warm beer? Image that is doing it tough! :lol:
-

FAK SURVIVOR GARDEN
Hk33k - in memorium.
-

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:59 pm

So how much do you guys really love/hate Paul Hogan for giving you a stereotype besides convicts?

Also I know about Drop Bears so don't try anything.

Tetra Grammaton Cleric
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Tetra Grammaton Cleric » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:42 am

Cz wrote:So how much do you guys really love/hate Paul Hogan for giving you a stereotype besides convicts?
I can only speak for myself here. After the first movie, it was okaaaay. CD as a stereotype was a bit of a badass if a bit of a dick at the same time. It also started that "Australia: Flavour of the month" thing that got a lot of people thier start in hollywood. So, not so bad, we got to foist all our crap actors on you and it was okay. :)

After the other CD movies and that "Shrimp on the Barbie" series of ads? :roll: No thanks.

WTF is a shrimp? Now I understand the concept of 'target audience' and all that (hell, I mostly post in americanisms or internationalisms for that very reason) but c'mon! It's a fk'n prawn! Or a mf'n big ass crayfish! :evil:

I probably shouldn't say this next thing, what with not speaking ill of the dead and all that but... Steve Irwin? *does best impression of chris rock's voice* The worst thing about Steve Irwin? That he was so much more popular in the US than he ever was over here. And you'all lurrrved him from what we could tell. And, yeah - We ain't like that. Stereotype or otherwise. At all. None of us. Steve was just... ...err... ...very special.

I dunno if you can dial into http://www.google.com.au without it defaulting but if you can punch "cultural cringe" into the search window and then click "pages from australia". You'll understand.

On the subject of aussie actors in hollywood these days - hell, you got the bad ones and the good ones now (Eric Bana FTMFW!). Even the bad ones you wouldn't know they are aussies - so good are thier accent skills for the most part.
Cz wrote:Also I know about Drop Bears so don't try anything.
How 'bout Bunyips? MinMin lights? Yowies? Mullalyasauruses? Black Great Cats? South Australian Killer Possums (weighs 97kg and has 7 inch fangs)?
Or this?

Welcome to the jungle baby. 8)

-------------------------------------
blackmesa wrote:We can probably establish some kind of survivalist guide to Australia
You humble me. Here I was thinking of a Zombie Walk meets Pub Crawl fundraiser to kick things off. Why do all my plans involve alcohol?

:roll:

-

FAK SURVIVOR GARDEN
Hk33k - in memorium.
-

Big Mac

Post by Big Mac » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:07 am

Foster's....Australian for Beer.....if by beer you mean sewage that is somehow fermented even further....eh?

I've heard Aussies actually unload Foster's on us because they actually don't like it, is this true?!

What is a Vegemite Valley?

Tetra Grammaton Cleric
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Tetra Grammaton Cleric » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:49 pm

Big Mac wrote:Foster's....Australian for Beer.....if by beer you mean sewage that is somehow fermented even further....eh?

I've heard Aussies actually unload Foster's on us because they actually don't like it, is this true?!
Yes. It is true. No one, repeat - NO ONE in Australia drinks Fosters (aka: cat's piss). It is just another example of our... ...err... ...sense of humour.

Big Mac wrote:What is a Vegemite Valley?
Haven't heard that one before. But I'm thinking Hershey Highway. :shock:

-

FAK SURVIVOR GARDEN
Hk33k - in memorium.
-

swearwords

Post by swearwords » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:55 pm

Big Mac wrote:Foster's....Australian for Beer.....if by beer you mean sewage that is somehow fermented even further....eh?

What is a Vegemite Valley?
Aargh, fosters...noooo, but seriously I live in Tasmania, home to some of the best beers in the world, so I'm kinda spoiled.... Boags premium, Oh yeah....

As far as the vegemite valley thing, I'm not so sure myself, maybe its a chick with a yeast infection??? just a guess though...
Ignore the smoke...

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:28 pm

I'm really trying very hard not to imagine the taste/smell of vegemite having anything to do with any of a womans parts.

Tetra Grammaton Cleric
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Tetra Grammaton Cleric » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:18 pm

czechnology wrote:I'm really trying very hard not to imagine the taste/smell of vegemite having anything to do with any of a womans parts.
Cz, please beehive yourself. :lol:
We're trying to get an Australian ZS chapter or similar established. That ain't gonna help our cause. :lol:

Did you like the Cottesloe Sea Serpent pic?

-

FAK SURVIVOR GARDEN
Hk33k - in memorium.
-

Big Mac

Post by Big Mac » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:47 pm

Yes. It is true. No one, repeat - NO ONE in Australia drinks Fosters (aka: cat's piss). It is just another example of our... ...err... ...sense of humour.

-
Well I tried one once, a friend of mine who seems to have a British AND Aussie fetish (how exactly is that possible?) drinks it religiously. I tried one and I had to say, it felt like I was going to need to be airlifted to the nearest hospital...

Tetra Grammaton Cleric
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Tetra Grammaton Cleric » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:13 am

Big Mac wrote:

-
Well I tried one once, a friend of mine who seems to have a British AND Aussie fetish (how exactly is that possible?) drinks it religiously. I tried one and I had to say, it felt like I was going to need to be airlifted to the nearest hospital...
FRAGO follows: Divert urgent retrospective MEDEVAC to Big Mac's position. Case of poisoning requiring immediate stomach pump and colonic irrigation. Repeat, retrospectively URGENT.

Translation: it's disgusting and probably very bad for you.

Though some of the smaller brewers that Fosters have bought out and now distribute their products make awfully good beers. Cascades Premium out of Tasmania where Indiana and Swearwords hail from is a nice enough drop.

I prefer Tooheys Extra Dry when I drink beer though it does have possibly one of the weirdest ad campaigns ever.

On the other hand, Carlton Draught (which I don't really like) has the best advertising campaign ever.

Anything that utilises O Fortuna in any cool way is way cool and made of 100% pure unadulterated win.

O Fortuna FTMFW!

i couldn't find the neo genesis evangelion vid that uses that same techno version. sbs used it over here to promote nge. e7 will have to do for the vid's soundtrack only. best o fortuna remix eva!
-

FAK SURVIVOR GARDEN
Hk33k - in memorium.
-

Return to “Meeting room”