New Orleans, Louisiana: I have a question...

Place to find and meet up with other members of the ZS community in your area of the world and organize. Note: ZS is not responsible if you find the crazy people.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Egor

New Orleans, Louisiana: I have a question...

Post by Egor » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:14 pm

Hi All,

Greetings from the Crescent City. I'm curious about something: In the PAW, when the SHTF, what is a "zombie." I ask this because I have a friend who's a whole lot more prepper than I am, and he believes that all those who are sickly dependent on the system will resort to inhuman ways in order to survive, or out of fear, etc. They would be the zombies. Do you think that's true? Or what do you think about it?

Nice to meet you all. I look forward to being here. This is my first post. Image

woodsghost

Re: New Orleans, Louisiana: I have a question...

Post by woodsghost » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:11 am

Hi there!

Some people talk that way and think that way. That all those who are unprepared are going to be looking to get enough to live from those who were prepared. It is like the ant and the grasshopper story.

In localized disasters it is clear you will have looters and you will have people who open their hearts and homes to those in need. Those who open their homes are usually those who are far away from any disaster. If you read about Katrina, or the flooding in Texas, you will see examples of this.

A larger breakdown of society will result in people getting pretty desperate. If you are interested in first hand accounts, I would look up peoples experiences with the collapse of the former Yugoslavia and the civil war and genocide which happened there. You might also read about Somalia, in the early 90's, and their experiences with a famine. There are stories of Argentina and the economic collapse they experienced. Finally, I would start reading the stories of Venezuela today.

In none of these would I say people became "zombies." But many predators came out. Many people died. Many people turned to quite desperate means of survival. I think you will get the most benefit from reading their stories yourself.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:14 am

Egor wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:14 pm
Hi All,

Greetings from the Crescent City. I'm curious about something: In the PAW, when the SHTF, what is a "zombie." I ask this because I have a friend who's a whole lot more prepper than I am, and he believes that all those who are sickly dependent on the system will resort to inhuman ways in order to survive, or out of fear, etc. They would be the zombies. Do you think that's true? Or what do you think about it?

Nice to meet you all. I look forward to being here. This is my first post. Image

Welcome to the forum.
Please do post an introduction on the introduction thread.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:11 am

Egor wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:14 pm
he believes that all those who are sickly dependent on the system will resort to inhuman ways in order to survive, or out of fear, etc. They would be the zombies.
Welcome Egor. I believe a societal breakdown functions much like alcohol, or Herr Eskine's super soldier serium; it tends to amplify the true essence of one's character. Just are there are mean drunks versus friendly drunks, there will be petty, vicious people and those that strive to help should the S ever HTF. Or at least not harm those who are less prepared.

At ZS we use zombies not so much as a label for certain kinds of people in a disaster situation, but as a broad metaphor for whatever emergency or desperate contingency each of us strives to prepare for. It's the whole "if you're prepared for the zombie apocalypse, you're prepared for anything" idea. We each do our own risk assessment as to what that situation might be. We also try not to pass judgement on those who are at a different place on the risk/preparation continuum than we happen to be.

The basic principle however is to have some level of personal preparation so you never find yourself in that situation where you have to be that petty, vicious survivor who visits harms upon others in order to survive. In the time of the apocalypse: be the friendly drunk.

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:20 pm

Bienvenue Monsieur Egor,

No, unprepared people are not zombies, people or skels. Dehumanizing language is often used to make it easier to do things to people that we would not normally do. Steal from “fat cat” bankers, exterminate Jewish vermin or as John Wayne said in The Fighting Seabees “Tojo and his bug-eyed monkeys”.

As has been mentioned in other threads in our magnificent forum, “no man is an island“ that means we work with our community establishing relationships friendships gently encouraging that we should all have water in case of the next hurricane and knocking on doors reminding people to close their shutters when the winds pick up. This does not mean to become a charity for those who are not prepared but it also does not mean to discard those who didn’t have the foresight that we have.

Some people will act in desperation, we don’t want to be seen as fat easy targets to be re, nor should we be cold impregnable fortresses. There is always strength in numbers, and and the bonds of friendship are stronger than the bonds of fear.

If somebody wants to play it the hard way, eventually they will run out of ammunition.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

Return to “Meeting room”