Zombie Squad signed on for the first Zombie Cruise

Place to find and meet up with other members of the ZS community in your area of the world and organize. Note: ZS is not responsible if you find the crazy people.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Akin
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn Of The Dead, Shaun Of The Dead

Re: Zombie Squad signed on for the first Zombie Cruise

Post by Akin » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:36 am

Mikeyboy wrote:That is a Royal Caribbean ship, I have been on a cruise with them. Real nice and lots of fun. I also find it ironic that it goes to Haiti and Jamaica and Cozumel. Haiti is the birthplace of Zombies. Zombies are also big in Jamaican folklore. Cozumel also has the Mayan ruins, human sacrifices, so there is the possibility of Zombies.

Also I know some prep folks may be spooked by Haiti being a port of call, but I'm assuming the ship port at Labadee, Haiti which is a private port resort (meaning sealed off from the rest of the country with security). I did a 7 day cruise hitting multiple ports around the Caribbean and I had concerns about going to Haiti, but Labadee was one of the nicest, safest and most fun.

This zombie cruise sounds like it will be a blast. I really wish I could go.
Yup, Labadee is a closed company town. I was unsure about visiting Haiti back in 2010, after the earthquake, on my cruise on the Allure, but it was for naught. All of the staff working there are actually the staff of the ship... they just change costumes and carry on. The only exceptions are the few carefully screened locals who are let in to sell local crap.

The lobster lunch in Labadee was pretty damn good...
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Captain Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper

Purple_Mutant
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Purple_Mutant » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:52 pm

For the benefit of those of us too poor to attend; someone should get permission to play ham radio aboard the ship. Then we could talk to you and you could tell us about all the fun we are missing out on. Of course I probably wouldn't find a cruise ship very much fun.

Seriously though, someone from ZS should bring some HF equipment on the trip. I bet it would be fun to play ham radio from a ship. It would be fun to try to contact you. If you are going to bring radios, make sure to notify amateur radio newsline. It would be cool to have a ZS dxpedition mentioned on newsline.
Apathy wrote:We are a bunch of adults who own too many guns and actively prepare for the zombie apocalypse. There is something wrong with each and every one of us.
Emergency prep and Autism

Acronyms

My photography and art

Purple_Mutant
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Purple_Mutant » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:18 pm

Something else I was wondering. What sort of rules does the ship have regarding what you can and can't bring with you? Would they allow you to bring any kind of knives or other tools?
Apathy wrote:We are a bunch of adults who own too many guns and actively prepare for the zombie apocalypse. There is something wrong with each and every one of us.

Acronyms

My photography and art

Akin
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Akin » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:45 pm

Purple_Mutant wrote:Something else I was wondering. What sort of rules does the ship have regarding what you can and can't bring with you? Would they allow you to bring any kind of knives or other tools?
No firearms at all, and nothing with a blade, either. Don't know about any other tool.

They have metal detectors and your luggage is screened, just like at an airport.

At least back in 2010 when I was on the Allure.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Captain Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper

Purple_Mutant
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Purple_Mutant » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:55 pm

Akin wrote:
Purple_Mutant wrote:Something else I was wondering. What sort of rules does the ship have regarding what you can and can't bring with you? Would they allow you to bring any kind of knives or other tools?
No firearms at all, and nothing with a blade, either. Don't know about any other tool.

They have metal detectors and your luggage is screened, just like at an airport.

That's another good reason to avoid cruise ships. I don't feel comfortable going anywhere without a knife. I would at least want to be able to carry a Swiss Army knife.

Acronyms

My photography and art

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:08 pm

I dont know why the song Ship of Fools keeps playing in my head...
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

Akin
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Akin » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:14 pm

Purple_Mutant wrote:That's another good reason to avoid cruise ships. I don't feel comfortable going anywhere without a knife. I would at least want to be able to carry a Swiss Army knife.
I know the feeling. If I'm not nekid for whatever reason, the very least I have on me is my Spyderco Police model knife.

Except when overseas. I suppose I could look into the legalities of a knife in Europe for my trips there, but on a cruise, it's a no-go.

Basically, you need to decide if the risk is worth the fun of the vacation.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:30 am

Akin wrote:

+1 to what Akin said I went in 2012 and I found that the security and not being able to bring even a small knife even higher on a cruise ship than air travel. If you put a pocket knife in your check bags it will be removed. Also every time you get off the ship and then get back on you have to go thru security and go thru metal detectors and stuff gets X-rayed. For the record though I would not want to carry even a small pocket knife overseas, especially Mexico. You are a foreigner, even if you use it in self defense , you are going to get charged with a carrying/using a deadly weapon, and you don't want to do time in prison in Mexico, Jamaica, or Haiti.

itzybitzyspyder
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living DeadBoth), Dawn of the Dead(both, 28 Days Later, the crappy ones on SyFy channel, B movies

Post by itzybitzyspyder » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:04 am

I can barely afford gear so a cruise is out of the question. Sounds fun though!
~sent via pigeon with a note on it's foot

manowar1313

Post by manowar1313 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:31 pm

Look amazing, sorry though too rich for my blood.

Also is this in the right section?
Anyone wanting to talk sh*t about my guns needs to remember I'm holding a gun.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:38 am

manowar1313 wrote:Look amazing, sorry though too rich for my blood.

Also is this in the right section?

It /was/ in the right section, because ZS was involved with it.

That said, the cruise organizers have pushed it back a year or so, apparently it was too rich for everyone's blood. :lol:

I'll see about getting it out of Announcements today.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Return to “Meeting room”