It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 5:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:40 am 

I present the Springtime Virginia get-together, camp-n-shoot, etc, etc. This has been a big success the past and expect it to be as good this time.

Friday is normally meet-n-greet, gear setup, show and tell, etc.

Saturday is range and skills day The range is on-site on the top of the mountain, it is a "primitive" range, target stands are advised to hold your targets, 4x4 up the hill is a good idea.

Sunday is clean-up and most of us go to the IHOP in Winchester for breakfast and recap of the weekend, it is on the way back to the interstate.

This is a car camping type of event, It will be May in the Mountains, so rig for a fair amount of wind, rain, maybe even some light snow. Any questions, feel free to PM or email me or ask on this thread. ** Anyone that is hesitant for lack of gear or whatever PM me, I am sure I or someone else has something to loan. **

DATES: MAY 2,3,4, 2014 (Friday, Saturday and leave on Sunday)

Activities: Skill-Sharing, Eating, Shooting, Lots of BS'ing, Adult beverages. If anyone would like to teach a group class, you are more than welcome to !

Meals: Plan on bringing enough for youself but normally someone will cook a group type dinner.

Cost: 15 dollars per person per night for camping (paid to the camp office) and we normally chip in to purchase group firewood 5-10 dollars/person

Who can attend ? Any person(s) that can be responsible for their actions and not endanger themselves or others. Simple

Attendees:

Stimpy321972

Couldn't agree more. It is a precision weapon. It will jam at the precise moment you need it the most. :)

AK/Glock/Blue Wire w orange stripe/Twinkies

Call Sign: KK4JKV

Last edited by stimpy321972 on Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:19 pm 

You know that the weekend of 5/23 is Memorial Day weekend, right?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:51 pm 

Im off the 5/23 weekend

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:17 am 

Sorry, my May is booked solid. :(

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:41 am 

Family event scheduled.....sorry....trust me when I say it sounds like more fun....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:24 am 

Pretty much free the whole month. Unless the wife gets the new job she interviewed for, then I'm moving to Puerto Rico. Which might make it difficult to attend. :crazy:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:45 am 

I voted for 23, but right now I can do either one.....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:52 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

As of now I'm good for either.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:43 pm 

I'd prefer the 2nd but can figure out a way to do either one. Also, with Monday the 26th being memorial day the cove might be pretty busy.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:42 pm 

mattdcknsn wrote:
I'd prefer the 2nd but can figure out a way to do either one. Also, with Monday the 26th being memorial day the cove might be pretty busy.

Yeah, I'd imagine it'd be nuts there.

the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:17 am 

So, decided to do the 2nd instead of the other, due mostly to Memorial Day Weekend.

Chime in on who will be able to attend, a little over a month to decide/prepare. After I get a fair amount of definite's, I will call and reserve our spot(s)

Since we just finished one last weekend, I/we need to focus on skills this time and less on drunkertainment, we will still have plenty of time for that after skills..

I think we would have the whole upper range to ourselves and could work on some drills !

Couldn't agree more. It is a precision weapon. It will jam at the precise moment you need it the most. :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:35 pm 

stimpy321972 wrote:
Since we just finished one last weekend, I/we need to focus on skills this time and less on drunkertainment, we will still have plenty of time for that after skills..

I think we would have the whole upper range to ourselves and could work on some drills !

Maybe it would be helpful to have some people start preparing for a training session? I know there are a lot of us who use hammocks and some that do not. Maybe have some hammock swingers give a basic how to for that? Also, maybe have some of us dedicate an hour to a BOB break down? I know I could also use some fire making skills (besides throwing a lighter in one). :)

I would love to do some upper range time as well, maybe some of us who have training could give a basic once over? I know that drill Murph had a couple of camp outs ago went over really well. I would even be willing to donate a prize for the person who wins that one. :) Friendly competition is always good.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:37 am 

So, local Winchester fact about May 2nd. That's the weekend of Apple Blossom Festival (www.thebloom.com) which if you've never been, just imagine a redneck Mardi Gras. I have no idea what the Cove will be like, but getting into/thru town is like driving in NYC, during rush hour, during ZPAW.

the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:20 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

I am tentatively in for this, I have to firm a few things up on my end first.

Swords of Legend my RPG gaming blog

My BOB

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:36 pm 

Murph wrote:
So, local Winchester fact about May 2nd. That's the weekend of Apple Blossom Festival (http://www.thebloom.com) which if you've never been, just imagine a redneck Mardi Gras. I have no idea what the Cove will be like, but getting into/thru town is like driving in NYC, during rush hour, during ZPAW.

Murph does bring up an extremely valid point. If we keep it during this time then I would be looking for any way possible to avoid Winchester. I don't know how I-81 looks during this. Try to find alternate routes if possible.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:18 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

On Saturday night is there a cookout or big communal dinner?

Swords of Legend my RPG gaming blog

My BOB

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:34 pm 

Bakeel wrote:
On Saturday night is there a cookout or big communal dinner?

Yes, all of the above ! Let me know what you are thinking and I can grab some stuff at wallyworld on the way in. I planned to cook last time but we ended up on a re-supply run instead.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:53 pm 

Ok the 2nd it is.....

Hey I aggree that we should do some skills and training and such....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:51 pm 

Perhaps some of the more experienced members in the medical profession could hold a basic first aid kit intro? I know my first aid kit is not very good.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:00 pm 

I'm in for this trip, and I have a friend who might be interested in coming along, assuming I can get him to grab some gear (honestly all he needs is a tent, I've got the other stuff covered, and I think he's going to get one this weekend)...still working on that.

mattdcknsn wrote:
stimpy321972 wrote:

Maybe it would be helpful to have some people start preparing for a training session? I know there are a lot of us who use hammocks and some that do not. Maybe have some hammock swingers give a basic how to for that? Also, maybe have some of us dedicate an hour to a BOB break down? I know I could also use some fire making skills (besides throwing a lighter in one). :)

mattdcknsn wrote:
Perhaps some of the more experienced members in the medical profession could hold a basic first aid kit intro? I know my first aid kit is not very good.

I'd have no problems showing any interested folks my hammock setup, and I have a spare hammock w/straps I can bring (depending on if my new tarp arrives in time, I might have a spare one of those to bring too) if anybody wants to try it out for a night. I could also do a fairly basic overview of some useful knots. I agree on the fire and first aid skills, those could be very handy (especially a critique of my first aid kit, I'm sure it needs some work).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:19 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I can give a little insight in to the first aid kits. However, I don't know much about wilderness first aid kits which is probably what would be needed. But, if you want me to try and put together a cheap sample kit, I'd be more than happy to show you guys what I would try to use.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:28 am 

I'm planning on going. I just finished my first bob, so I'd love to do I tear down and crtique. It's missing a fak and my house fak is lacking also, I'd love to learn more about it. Also finished my first ar but hopefully I will have shaken it down by then. Looking forward to seeing everyone.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:35 am 

Bad news right now, they cancelled my vacation day off Friday and I have a class starting on Sunday. So I may be a no go for the event I organized :vmad:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:17 am 

I will not be able to attend this one either. I got laid off a week ago, I found another job but it don't pay as good.