It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hello and good morning!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:54 am 

Hi!

I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Jess, I am 21 and from the UK.
I am here in Austin from the summer for a research project. I have come from Northern Ireland where I study social anthropology at Queen's University Belfast.

My basic research question is "what do guns mean to you?", (whether that be a negative or a positive value), but I am most interested in why people positively associate with guns. Why they like them so to speak.

On a road trip across America a few years ago, some friends of mine in New Mexico let us shoot a few rounds in the desert. I had never used a gun before so I surprised myself by how much I enjoyed it, and was keen to learn as much as I could from them. This really triggered my interest into the various reasons people like to shoot.

Also, as a huge 'zombie fan' I was really excited to hear about this group and would love to find out more!

I realize this is an odd request, but if anyone thinks they might be interested or willing to talk with me at all or has any questions, I'd love to hear from you! :D

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:54 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

It's a great question and one I'd be happy to help you with, but you're going to have a really hard time sustaining this thread, get meaningful responses and not run afoul of the forum rules against political discussions.

Is it possible to discuss gun culture in America outside of the realm of politics? Well, yes I suppose......

Is it possible for us here in the ZS community to discuss gun culture in America outside of the realm of politics?

Maybe shoot the mods a PM and ask if you can post a link here at ZS inviting forum members to discuss this important topic elsewhere, like a FB page or a something.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:00 pm 

Great topic! (and welcome!!) I am a guy who has ALWAYS loved guns/the idea of guns, but really only recently started owning any. But I guess in thinking about it, as in specifically how I feel about "guns" the overarching totality of firearms, I guess I identify neutrally with firearms, not positively so much. The way I would identify with cars... yeah, some cars are so cool they are almost a 'personality' you might "like" but as a whole, cars are just machines/tools, some of which look really cool or have capabilities that are impressive, so they gain a following of sorts.

And like cars, firearms represent things to people, like self sufficiency, or safety or maybe a skill that a lot of other people lack (shooting well/gunsmithing). Or they might represent freedom, as in- "Some people don't want me to have this, so that makes me want it more!" *middle finger pointed toward afore mentioned people*

Anyway, that's my quick take on it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:17 pm 

When I was much younger I was very much against guns. I thought they were horrible things and there was no reason for them. Then I met my husband. He comes from a family of hunters. His brother and father are gun lovers. My husband prefers the quiet of bows. I have since learned a lot about guns. They're is a lot that goes with their care and maintenance. Just like any machine you have to treat it with respect and follow the rules. I have met some who are irresponsible with them. However, I have met far more people who respect them.

I had the chance to fire a small one and like you found the enjoyment that goes with it. Personally however....I see no point in getting one. Preferring instead bow and arrows, machetes, knives and swords for the apocalypse.
Hope this helps!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:01 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Being a military man, firearms are tools of my trade. Before joining, I had never seen a firearm in person, only on television and in movies. They had an almost romantic appeal, especially pistols. As I matured and gained experience with guns, they've simply become tools. Incredibly important to my profession, as I cannot perform my job without one, but a tool nonetheless. They're dangerous in the hands of the careless, inexperienced, and malicious, but like any other machine, they're safe when respected. I've grown so comfortable with the weapons, I feel uneasy without. Almost like a safety blanket. Firearms have saved my life more than once, and threatened it just as often. I find comfort and security in carrying a firearm, but with that comes a lot of responsibility. Don't know if that is exactly what you're looking for, but I hope it helps!