Tabletop RPG, and my gaming rig

Discussions about Zombie training simulators such as video games, RPGs, paintball or other related simulations.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Niblick

Re: Tabletop RPG, and my gaming rig

Post by Niblick » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:41 pm

OMG...pressed fairies, portmanteau, mad rpg knowledge, and GI joe. You just stole my heart Lady LeFey. If I only knew your address I would send you a dozen rose colored d6s. Just don't tell my wife. :lol:
You are
What you do
When it counts.

dustytomes

Post by dustytomes » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:46 pm

Niblick wrote: Just don't tell my wife. :lol:
famous last words... especially when posted on the inter-web. :twisted:

Lynn LeFey

Post by Lynn LeFey » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:47 pm

ninja-elbow wrote:Supposedly coming up with a modular system that represents all an individual's rule preferences. One system to rule them all...
It's my experience that systems that try to do everything end up not doing anything well.

And it makes it a beast to write extra material for the system.

Bonecrusher Doc

Post by Bonecrusher Doc » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:05 pm

German Christmas cookie tins make nice medieval-themed containers for gaming supplies.
Bonecrusher Doc wrote: I'd say this has at least a little justification as a mental exercise.
JamesCannon wrote:Yes, well there's the right way and wrong way to exercise, and the wrong way can lead to injury and/or damage. :P

Joshua_Steele
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead FTW!

Post by Joshua_Steele » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:10 am

Post by Lynn LeFey » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:47 pm

ninja-elbow wrote:Supposedly coming up with a modular system that represents all an individual's rule preferences. One system to rule them all...

It's my experience that systems that try to do everything end up not doing anything well.

And it makes it a beast to write extra material for the system.
My group has basically given up on AD&D and moved over to Pathfinder.

I was okay going from 2nd to 3rd edition. And I was okay going to 3.5 because it fixed some issues I had with 3rd. Then they went to 4th for the money.

Forget it!

Niblick

Post by Niblick » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:10 am

Yea after buying the 3rd edition books, I basically gave up on staying up to date. Too damn expensive.
You are
What you do
When it counts.

Zpocalypse_GBG
Favorite Zombie Movies: 1. Day of the Dead original
2. Dawn of the Dead
3. Sean of the Dead
4. 28 days later
5. Night of the living dead
6. Return of the living dead
7. Zombieland
8. Evil Dead
9. Dead Alive
10. Mad Max
11. A boy and his dog, a post apocalyptic romance
12. The Postman

Post by Zpocalypse_GBG » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:48 am

Lynn LeFey wrote:They printed minibook versions of the AD&D 1st edition books. Those would fit nicely in a BOB. :D

Majorhavoc: I shall do my best to translate...
'Morbequent': Niblick is coining a new word, creating a Portmanteau of 'Morbid' and 'Eloquent', in response to my "that fine point between eloquent and morbid" statement. Should it fall into common usage, you can say you saw it here first. Coining new words is well within a geek's purview. :D

Next, 1st, 2nd and 5th edition: Role playing games are often revamped every so often, changing rulesets, theoretically to improve the mechanical aspects of the game, but sometimes these fail, or are more market driven than improvement driven. "Sales slumping? Put out a new edition!" That kind of thinking. The best known role playing game, Dungeons and Dragons, is currently on its 4th edition, but performed poorly due to being a fairly radical departure from previous editions, and was not well-received. The statement that Niblick made is stating that his group uses some of the features of the first and second edition of D&D, and asked about the (as yet unreleased) 5th edition.

Now you know... And knowing is half the battle.
G. I. Joe!

EDIT: if it's important, I can also speak jive, and translate for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=190iqepL-G4
Huge 2nd and 3.5 fan myself. Best quote that summed up 4th edition to me was this.
Can you be killed by a kitten on level 1?
No.
then it's not DnD.
4th edition went the route of the scaling universe, where each encounter was fully scaled for the adventures in it. Sorta like Oblivion and it's scaled goblins dropping gold plate on later levels.

3.5 did this somewhat, but if you were on level 1, and a petite creature critted on you. well. dam.. you could die.

Never tried running a Zombie only campaign before. I figure 3.5 modern combined with d20 apocalypse would make an interesting game to play, wondering the wastelands, fighting raiders for supplies, and of course the zombies as an environmental factor.
KickStarter | Facebook | Twitter | Reddit
Zpocalypse is a survival board game set in a post-apocalyptic wasteland by GreenBrierGames.

Niblick

Post by Niblick » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:10 am

Now that I would play. I might even buy A book.
You are
What you do
When it counts.

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:26 am

Zpocalypse_GBG wrote:

Never tried running a Zombie only campaign before. I figure 3.5 modern combined with d20 apocalypse would make an interesting game to play, wondering the wastelands, fighting raiders for supplies, and of course the zombies as an environmental factor.

This sounds awesome. You could start the campaign from normal life to the outbreak and lead it out into a PAW... or start the campaign as a group coming together (however they always seem to do) some point into a PAW. Characters in first scenario could roll people that were preppers or maybe just a business person downtown when a raging outbreak takes place. How has this not been done already??? :lol:
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:50 pm

A rare confluence of celebrity geekiness in tabletop gaming: Wil Wheton, Grant Imahara and Jenna Busch (and some dude I don't know of because I never got into Starcraft):

http://boingboing.net/2012/04/02/episod ... and-f.html

dustytomes

Post by dustytomes » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:24 pm

TheLastOne wrote:
Zpocalypse_GBG wrote:

This sounds awesome. You could start the campaign from normal life to the outbreak and lead it out into a PAW... or start the campaign as a group coming together (however they always seem to do) some point into a PAW. Characters in first scenario could roll people that were preppers or maybe just a business person downtown when a raging outbreak takes place. How has this not been done already??? :lol:
Every year at our local Con I run a Zombies are ATTACKING the Con What do YOU DO?! RPG.

Lynn LeFey

Post by Lynn LeFey » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:00 pm

Zombie games are great one-shots. They make pretty monotonous campaigns, IMO

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:18 pm

TheLastOne wrote:
Zpocalypse_GBG wrote:

I did this a few years ago - D20 Modern with the Apocalypse book. It was awesome but fell apart when I tried to expand it to much with too many players. Should have just kept it with the core group of 4 players I started with, though one moved up to Seattle. It was a great campaign that lasted about 6 months. I started it in my neighborhood and went from there. Used Google maps and everything.

Characters were:
Cookie Lady - older housewife that sold cookies to blue collar guys working in shops and warehouses on the west bank.
Jim Stevensen - 2 time Champion Logger in the World Champion Logging Champion Association. "You may have seen me on TV, ESPN "The Ocho"."
Dane Fond - M9 agent on vacation in Portland, OR because "Nothing happens in Portland, OR."
Kelly Schonenberg - PSU student, kicked out of Army after 2 years due to getting too fat. Still loves his guns though. Good shot. Has really bad hayfever.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:24 pm

Lynn LeFey wrote:Zombie games are great one-shots. They make pretty monotonous campaigns, IMO
True. You run out of bad guys real quick. I got pretty creative... really flexed my brain muscles on the one I ran, and did OK. You got to be able to run the horror and tension with more than wave after wave of Zekes. Raiders start getting illogical at points too - you can't have all other survivors be raiders.
President ZSC011

Lynn LeFey

Post by Lynn LeFey » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:30 pm

ninja-elbow wrote: ESPN "The Ocho".".
That is just a big pile of awesome, there!
"If it's almost a sport, we've got it here!" :lol:

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:06 am

Lynn LeFey wrote:Zombie games are great one-shots. They make pretty monotonous campaigns, IMO

I suppose that's a good point! Maybe that's why Walking Dead has so much damn soap opera in it.
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:40 am

TheLastOne wrote:

I suppose that's a good point! Maybe that's why Walking Dead has so much damn soap opera in it.
This is absolutely correct. Look at all the movies out there that follow the same tropes over and over again with a change in minutiae to make it "theirs" :roll:

I'm thinking about starting a thread about my experience running my ZPAW game. Would that be interesting to some of you? I'm no guru and there were a lot of stumbles but I think I did well (until I ran it into the ground that is :lol: ) There was a lot of general RPG learning I did about how I was as a GM and player roles and such.
President ZSC011

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:08 pm

ninja-elbow wrote:I'm thinking about starting a thread about my experience running my ZPAW game. Would that be interesting to some of you? I'm no guru and there were a lot of stumbles but I think I did well (until I ran it into the ground that is :lol: ) There was a lot of general RPG learning I did about how I was as a GM and player roles and such.
Sure! Sounds like it would be interesting, and there's nothing like learning from other people's experience so you don't have to do all of it yourself first.
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

Niblick

Post by Niblick » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:11 pm

I would love to hear about it. In fact, I would love to play it. Google hangout for the first 6 people that say I'm in?

I'm in.
You are
What you do
When it counts.

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:13 pm

I'm in!
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:50 pm

I don't have the time to run somehting like that in any format, wish I did. I have way too many things going on now :) I will post up something tonight about the game though and the experience.
President ZSC011

Niblick

Post by Niblick » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:08 pm

Well it was worth a shot :lol: I'd love to hear about it still.
You are
What you do
When it counts.

Lynn LeFey

Post by Lynn LeFey » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:43 pm

I'm not saying I'm gonna... but how would people feel about a game run in the 'fiction' section here (play-by-post), where there would be active participants and other folks could 'watch'?

NO PROMISES! Just checking on interest.

BigDaddyTX

Post by BigDaddyTX » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:58 pm

Hijack: Just reading this thread has me looking at meetup sites trying to find a group. Does anyone have some good links for sites to hook up with RPG groups? I've used a few but I'm sure there must be more out there. The best I did was 3 sessions with a SWRPG group but it dissolved after that due to people not showing up.. :roll:

Ones I've used:
rpggamefind.com
http://www.obsidianportal.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
meetup.com
mzmadmike wrote: I may even buy another semiautomatic assault weapon rambo killing machine for my small penis, with lots of large capacity non-reusable clips full of armor piercing incendiary mercury tracer poisoned explosive hollowpoint glaser black talons

Return to “Zombie Survival/Combat Simulations”