It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:35 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Takaaco78 wrote:
I work at a federal prison. You know they accualy teach a D&D class to the inmates. Although it is the ultimate way to make some time fly by...

Wow. If I ever go to jail, it's going to be the most epic Twilight/Merc:2000 campaign ever. :D

Yknow... between the rape/assault and depression. :gonk:

Oh and I didn't get into fantasy RPG's until after Highschool, and it was the late 90s by then so the "satan" thing was pretty passe, but I did get asked once by someone who heard me talking about some White Wolf games if I was a satanist, and I said "What's your favorite sexual position?" She recoiled and said "That's none of your business!" I laughed and said "Oh wait, that's what I meant to say."

Vicarious_Lee wrote:
If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:54 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Czechnology wrote:
, but I did get asked once by someone who heard me talking about some White Wolf games if I was a satanist, and I said "What's your favorite sexual position?" She recoiled and said "That's none of your business!" I laughed and said "Oh wait, that's what I meant to say."

How is it that you're still single? :P

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:09 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

majorhavoc wrote:
Czechnology wrote:
, but I did get asked once by someone who heard me talking about some White Wolf games if I was a satanist, and I said "What's your favorite sexual position?" She recoiled and said "That's none of your business!" I laughed and said "Oh wait, that's what I meant to say."

How is it that you're still single? :P

I married someone with the same attitude. :mrgreen:

It works great so long as we keep it directed outward. :lol:

Vicarious_Lee wrote:
If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:15 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

The last time someone asked if I was a satanist I answered, "Yes. What are you going to do about it?"

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:42 pm 

I was never into Shadowrun. It seemed to me to be a product of the mindset "If elves are good, then elves with guns must be better. If elves with guns are better, then elves with guns and cybernet data jacks must be frickin' sweet!"

I know a lot of folks that loved it, and really, just because a game isn't my cup of tea doesn't mean I have a need to crap on other peoples' fun.

Chechnology, I'm in the same boat. I'm not 'subtle', and I found a hubby that accepted the crass, abrasive, nerdy me. He's rather the same way, only not as vocal about it to others. There really is someone for everyone. You just have to look hard enough... at GenCon... :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:25 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Lynn LeFey wrote:
"If elves are good, then elves with guns must be better. If elves with guns are better, then elves with guns and cybernet data jacks must be frickin' sweet!"

I KNOW, RIGHT??? :D :D :lol:

Vicarious_Lee wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:11 pm 

Not until they include space vikings and ninjas on dinosaurs. Now, THAT is sweet! Ahhhh Yeaaaaaahhhhhh! :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:14 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Quote:
There really is someone for everyone. You just have to look hard enough... at GenCon...

Or a comic book store, where I met my fiance. :P

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:47 pm 

I saw this thread and figured what the hell I might as well post. So here it is.

My Gaming Rig.
A friend saw the case at a store and bought two. Gave it to me that same night before we started playing.

and inside.
It fits everything we needed to play and then some.

all spread out.
From left to right. A sack of random dice, 5 painted minis w/small grey sack, Six dice sets, the case, my GMfolio, paper, notebook pencils, pens, erasers and ruler, I think those are 3ed books. Above the books is a shadow run book and under it is a cyber punks book, then our character sheets to the right of those. The black bag under the paper and ruler is for the pencils.

my dice.

I started playing in 94. A friend of mine said "hey lets RPG! I have this cyber punk book it'll be fun." and he was right it was a blast. Got into D&D a bit after that. By a bit I mean, I have the books and we use them to play, but we use them more like guidelines than actual rules. Mainly because it's a few close friends that play. The 5 minis are our main characters and we all took turns GMing at some point. My wifes mini isn't there, but she even played with us for a while.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:43 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

ninja-elbow wrote:
Quote:
There really is someone for everyone. You just have to look hard enough... at GenCon...

Or a comic book store, where I met my fiance. :P

Or... well... I guess it was a Rave, I don't really remember. :lol:

Vicarious_Lee wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:15 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Lynn LeFey wrote:
I was never into Shadowrun. It seemed to me to be a product of the mindset "If elves are good, then elves with guns must be better. If elves with guns are better, then elves with guns and cybernet data jacks must be frickin' sweet!"

I know a lot of folks that loved it, and really, just because a game isn't my cup of tea doesn't mean I have a need to crap on other peoples' fun.

GM's pick, I hadn't played in years. I'm liking it more now than I used to, partly because we're working out exactly what our characters ethics are (&aren't), which is fun. I'm kinda whatever about the elves/orcs/etc, except as it adds interesting social and racial tension. I've always liked the world, tho, but then I love William Gibson's books.

Re: if asked about being satanist, my husband - "I prefer 'salvationally challenged.'"

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:56 pm 

duodecima wrote:
I've always liked the world, tho, but then I love William Gibson's books.

If you haven't yet, you might consider giving Bruce Sterling's stuff a try. He co-authored 'Difference Engine' with Gibson (not my favorite of his work, but as a point of reference). I was not a big cyberpunk fan, but LOVED Sterling's 'Schismatrix' novel. I think the only cyberpunk novel I started, finished, and enjoyed was 'Snow Crash', by Neal Stephenson. I am a painfully slow reader, so something has to REALLY catch and hold my attention to get me through it. I know some 'voracious' readers, and would love to be that way, but... how to describe it? Written language is so far from my native mental operating system that I always feel several steps removed from actually experiencing a book. That thing where it ceases to be little black symbols on white paper, and becomes a performance in your mind? I don't slip into that often. But I know the utter bliss of it when it DOES happen.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:18 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Lynn LeFey wrote:
duodecima wrote:
I've always liked the world, tho, but then I love William Gibson's books.

If you haven't yet, you might consider giving Bruce Sterling's stuff a try. He co-authored 'Difference Engine' with Gibson (not my favorite of his work, but as a point of reference). I was not a big cyberpunk fan, but LOVED Sterling's 'Schismatrix' novel. I think the only cyberpunk novel I started, finished, and enjoyed was 'Snow Crash', by Neal Stephenson. I am a painfully slow reader, so something has to REALLY catch and hold my attention to get me through it. I know some 'voracious' readers, and would love to be that way, but... how to describe it? Written language is so far from my native mental operating system that I always feel several steps removed from actually experiencing a book. That thing where it ceases to be little black symbols on white paper, and becomes a performance in your mind? I don't slip into that often. But I know the utter bliss of it when it DOES happen.

I will look at the library tommorrow! I am one of those voracious readers - "One second after" took me maybe 5 hours? And "Tears of the Sun" was 2 days of reading after kids were in bed (til late, of course!) So maybe 7? I have extreme difficulty watching movies or TV unless I really really get into it (at which point it's fantastic) so I think I know how you feel...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:53 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Lynn LeFey wrote:
Not until they include space vikings and ninjas on dinosaurs. Now, THAT is sweet! Ahhhh Yeaaaaaahhhhhh! :D

Rifts.

Problem solved.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:26 am 

Let me preface this by saying that I've been playing in the same campaign for 14 years and I still skype in once a month. But damn, you guys have some hard core nerdage going on :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:06 pm 

Niblick wrote:
Let me preface this by saying that I've been playing in the same campaign for 14 years and I still skype in once a month. But damn, you guys have some hard core nerdage going on :lol:

I don't like to brag... okay, I actually do... but I'm co-author of an RPG supplement ('Sixshooters & Spaceships' for the Serenity game), and have role-testing credits in a handful of books.

I >am< nerd-core! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:15 pm 

Lynn LeFey wrote:
Niblick wrote:

I don't like to brag... okay, I actually do... but I'm co-author of an RPG supplement ('Sixshooters & Spaceships' for the Serenity game), and have role-testing credits in a handful of books.

I >am< nerd-core! :lol:

And your avatar pic is from one of my all time favorite books. How is Lady Cottington these days?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:05 pm 

Okay, so... stay with me on this one... using the handle 'LeFey'... like 'Morgan LeFey'... meaning 'of the fey', or 'of the faeries'... right?

So, right, looking for a fitting faerie picture for zombie boards... and... OBVIOUSLY it should be a pressed faerie.

Gosh... I'm SO clever. :D

I love Brian Froud's art, and think it really fits perfectly on these boards in particular. Glad to see someone else loves his art... that fine point between eloquent and morbid.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:39 pm 

Ahh morbequent...my favorite type of art. OT: we play a mix of 1st and 2nd edition. Any idea what they'll be changing in 5th?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:58 pm 

There's a whole section of forum discussing that over on the Wizards boards.

What I'd LIKE is a reversion back to something much more like 3.X/Pathfinder.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:28 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Niblick wrote:
Ahh morbequent...my favorite type of art. OT: we play a mix of 1st and 2nd edition. Any idea what they'll be changing in 5th?

And you were commenting on hard core nerdage a few posts ago? It's like you two are speaking a completely different language. I feel so old......

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:33 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

I'm such a D&D bum. All I bring is a little silk drawstring bag containing my meager dice collection, and if I'm lucky, a pencil. I use my DM's minis, and a fellow player brings my character sheet with his. Shit...I should probably work on this much-neglected aspect of my preps...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:52 pm 

They printed minibook versions of the AD&D 1st edition books. Those would fit nicely in a BOB. :D

Majorhavoc: I shall do my best to translate...
'Morbequent': Niblick is coining a new word, creating a Portmanteau of 'Morbid' and 'Eloquent', in response to my "that fine point between eloquent and morbid" statement. Should it fall into common usage, you can say you saw it here first. Coining new words is well within a geek's purview. :D

Next, 1st, 2nd and 5th edition: Role playing games are often revamped every so often, changing rulesets, theoretically to improve the mechanical aspects of the game, but sometimes these fail, or are more market driven than improvement driven. "Sales slumping? Put out a new edition!" That kind of thinking. The best known role playing game, Dungeons and Dragons, is currently on its 4th edition, but performed poorly due to being a fairly radical departure from previous editions, and was not well-received. The statement that Niblick made is stating that his group uses some of the features of the first and second edition of D&D, and asked about the (as yet unreleased) 5th edition.

Now you know... And knowing is half the battle.
G. I. Joe!

EDIT: if it's important, I can also speak jive, and translate for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=190iqepL-G4

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:29 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Niblick wrote:

Supposedly coming up with a modular system that represents all an individual's rule preferences. One system to rule them all...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next