It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:48 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Kind of satirical here, but a thread subject none the less...

I have been a gamer nerd since 1979. I have gotten beaten up over D&D in the mid 80s (Satanic Panic... as well as being a fat buck-toothed nerd). People now call me a Grognard, this in regards to my percieved role in the Edition Wars of 2008-2009.* Technically I am a neo-Grognard. I did not enjoy TSR's 2ed of the 90s. I also think 3ed was a vast improvement to 1ed and 2ed.

Yes, I know Monte is the R&D guy at WotC now and they announced 5ed. 8-)

I have modded on 3ebb and was an active member of a smaller gamer forum called pimptania. I have reviewed quite a few things from Dwarven Forge, Sqwire Wire (now Gamemastery), Worldworks, WotC books, Fiery Dragon stuff... list goes on.

*Basically all I did was say "I quit, I don't want to buy D&D books anymore." upon the release of 4ed ... this simple statement turned me into an Edition Warrior. :roll:

Currently I am playing Pathfinder. I am playing in 3 Adventure Paths run by my Blue Ribbon Company boys. BRC is a mercenary unit I made up in a campaign I started running in 2004 loosely based off Glenn Cook's Black Company Books. We have kept that theme in all our games since then. After GMing for 11 years straight (with little breaks here and there) this is the first time I am not currently running a game while 3 of my players are each running an AP from Pathfinder - Kingmaker, Rise of the Runelords, and Legacy of Fire respectively. I am having a great time of it, just being a player.

Enough about my buyllshit. I cold go on for pages about this...

Here is my current gaming rig. I bought a new Plano tray last week to update my old rig (smaller Plano tray) and both my seat (GM to player) as well as my tabletop gear choices have changed.
top, l-r:
D6s, D4s, D8s -- for all them blasty spells!
Black and white dice sets
Red Lanes dice and Glittery Gold PC killer d20 -- GG is a legendary +2 player bane D20; my players once had a bounty on that thing.
Roxxors got me the Flashing Crit D20. It flashes when you roll a natural 20. This is the awesomest thing evar!111 When I got this for Xmas 2010 I thought to myself, "Shit, I might marry this woman." and I am. Also a handful of glass beads.
Alea Tools magnetic 1inch markers. Pretty handy, some cons to them too, but handy. Also some poker chips, extra magnetic tags for my magnetic dry-erase battle board from Gamemastery.
Painted metal mini go in the next 2 compartments, foam and stuff to protect them (yes, I paint minis too).
Empty... must resist consumerism... buy something... put in empty compartment....
Pens, pencils, Sharpie (2-3), and dry erase pens. I stopped using wet erase pens when I went all laminate Flip Mats by Gamemastery.
Cards, again from Gamemastery: Crit Deck, Fumble Deck, Chase Deck, Condition Deck << 2 of these I am thinking about replacing with iPhone apps. Also in there is a 3 foot tape measure and a line of sight indicator.
Litko flying minaiture stands and mounted (horse) stand << new faaaaaavoooorite things.
DDM (mostly) plastic minis; One of my characters is a wizard and he summons the shit out of monsters so his commons (dire animals and elementals) are in here. Dire bats are his favorite next to earth elementals.

The big change for me in 2011 was books. I don't pack books anymore. I can run and play Pathfinder with iPhone apps. Everything I need to run and play is avaialble on iPhone apps thanks to the OGL Paizo uses. I do own some hardcovers for home, as well as PDFs of many of the books I want... but them apps are awesome.

My game night kit is:
the above Plano tray
iPhone
SOMETIMES my laptop (though I have found that is cludgy at best)
my character folio (recycled binder)
Maybe a flipmat or 2 if the GM needs to borrow one of mine, which I have 20 of.
Fat nerd snacks, which have gone from Cheetos and Mountain Dew to hot tea in a thermos (or iced coffee), Cliff bars and maybe some dried fruit. :lol: Not going out like my boy Gygax RIP.

Feel free to show off your stuff, or ask about mine. I have more pics if you want to see some detaisl of stuff.

ETA: Semi-Satirical becasue it is a "gear pics" thread haha :lol: But, serious too.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:57 am 

I work at a federal prison. You know they accualy teach a D&D class to the inmates. Although it is the ultimate way to make some time fly by...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:40 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

You know I used to play D&D all the time, I loved it. I haven't played in over 25 years but I think if I could find some folks who play, I would.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:59 am 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Takaaco78 wrote:
I work at a federal prison. You know they accualy teach a D&D class to the inmates. Although it is the ultimate way to make some time fly by...

That's cool. Being in prison oughta' suck but you gotta' keep some of them from going nuts and idle the time. Probably helps the ones that want it - add some structure to their lives. Maybe learn a thing or 2. If I was in prison I know I'd need to do something. Would rather not be in prison. :lol: Shoot, some of them might even get a trade out of it if they were creative. Most of my creativity comes out in RPGing; though I am delving into standard format writing now.

RG - go find yourself a thing called Pathfinder Beginner Box: http://www.amazon.com/Pathfinder-Rolepl ... 1601253729 All you need to learn and play. It's even got a solo adventure. All I ask is you check your area for a local game shop first before buying off Amazon :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:41 am 

I use a Jansport backpack for my gaming rig. Books, folders, binders, zip-lock bags of the smash-friendly plastic D&D minis and a bag of fake pirate treasure gold coins (for any of my counter needs) in the main compartment.

Smaller compartment contains flash drive (for sharing digital game stuff), mechanical pencils, Dice bags (one with my D&D 'assortment', one with a jillion d6s in case I encounter a wild Champions game, one with D10s in case I come across a 7th Sea game that needs to be dealt with... or in the event I'm totally jonesing and sink to the level of a 'Vampire the Masquerade' game). Dry Erase Markers in the bottom of the pouch for use with a laminated battle mat. Third small pouch has leads, replacement erasers, etc. for mechanical pencils, con badge lanyards, and other similar miscellany.

I've been gaming since 1983(?), something like that. Started with Star Frontiers boxed, went quickly to Marvel Superheroes, then AD&D 1ed. The games I've played in between are numerous. Some one-shots, some brief cataclysmic failure-to-lauch campaigns, some long campaigns running 3 to 5 years.

Running two long campaigns in the 'Serenity' RPG, and doing a lot of fan content for the game got me some published material with Margaret Weis Productions for the Serenity game, and now I test most of their games before they're released.

I played the old red boxed set for D&D, and at the time, it was fine. AD&D 1ed was better, IMO. I didn't like 2nd ed. 3rd blew me away, and I loved it. My battered Player's Handbook is a testament to my enjoyment. I loath damaging books, but it you simply wear one out, that book had a good and noble life.

4th ed.... Man... I have a core set of 4th ed books, read once, slightly dusty, if someone would like to trade something... or maybe just free up the space on my bookshelf...

5th ed.: I have hope. That's all I can say.

Pathfinder: Strangely enough, our game group just started the 'Kingmaker' adventure path with Pathfinder. I like it. On par with 3.0/3.5.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:45 pm 

They're putting out 5th because 4th was so poorly received, and they know it. I understand they have Monte Cook back on board, so I have cautious optimism in regards to 5th ed.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:14 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Takaaco78 wrote:

I have a fellow geek friend who, like me and Regular Guy, used to play D&D in a former life. She calls it "interactive, communal storytelling". Which is about the most apt description I ever heard for what is, at it's core, an engaging and social diversion that commands much more of a person's brainpower than just about any other form of entertainment out there. I'd have to imagine that tabletop RPGing would be much the same.

Back when I went through my D&D phase, the game had a sinister reputation, sucking up kids time, supposedly blurring the distinction between fantasy and reality and leading young people down a dark path towards violence or suicide.

If only those concerned adults knew what was looming just over the horizon. Within five years, the dangers of D&D were forgotten and people began lamenting computer games like [/sacrasm on]DOOM and Duke Nukem, and the evil video game menace called "Mortal Kombat".[/sarcasm off]

Being threatened by the idea your child being safely ensconced at home with a group of friends, and finding hours of creative enjoyment with nothing more than pencils, graph paper and dice seems so quaint now.

Last edited by majorhavoc on Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:25 pm 

I was actually called into the vice principal's office in High School, and asked if I was a Satanist. Seems there were a few convolutions of stories going about, and what ended up getting to the VP was that we were playing D&D and dropping acid, then sacrificing goats to Satan by burning them to death.

Serious.

That's it's own story right there.

Anyway, nowadays, the nutjob crusaders are against Harry Potter, and, I kid you not... Pokemon.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAdVItTk5UA

Tabletop RPGs seem to me to be the best 'bang for the buck' as far as entertainment goes. And we get to make all kinds of dirty jokes while playing, so...

Also...'I'm not drunk, I'm in character!'

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:40 pm 

I started gaming a about a year ago; I had just moved somewhere new and thought it'd be a good way to meet some people. Started out playing some home brew Mechwarrior type thing, then a Star Wars game, and 4E D&D.

Then I started running a Deadlands: Reloaded game, and it's by far my favorite. It's the perfect mix of monsters, magic, and wild west badassery. I highly recommend trying it out. Hell, just reading through the books is entertaining even if you never get to play the game.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:55 pm 

I played in a game at Gen Con two years ago in a system called "Director's Cut".

It's a simple system, and does a good job of emulating the slasher genre. I predict it'd be great for zombie games (one shots, probably not as great for campaigns)

Here it is on Drive-Thru RPG
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=96740

EDIT: I run an annual Halloween one-shot called 'Hell On Earth' (old tradition started by a friend). Each year, people stat themselves out as characters, and it's some new terrible situation. This past Halloween, we used the Director's Cut system. The game was the story of an outbreak of an airborn version of rabies hitting while they were on vacation on St. Croix. it was built up initially as a supernatural horror (moko jumbie dancers, mysterious woman selling talismans against evil), and soon became Military bioweapons division run-and-gun versus rabid everything. I love the old bait and switch! :D

Last edited by Lynn LeFey on Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:55 am 

Unfortunately, I think I'm the only nerd in my detachment so I don't think RPGs would go over well.

Never played D&D but want to try it...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:19 am 

I personally use one of these monsters for my mini's dice and props(Hero quest mini's, pewter random finds, newer reaper miniatures and of course dice, dice and more dice!).

good ole Husky Toolchest. Just add some egg crate foam and the slide out trays are fantastic for holding my armies of minions.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:17 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

majorhavoc wrote:
Being threatened by the idea your child being safely ensconced at home with a group of friends, and finding hours of creative enjoyment with nothing more than pencils, graph paper and dice seems so quaint now.

This. My old GM had a bumper sticker that said "I Played D&D BEFORE It Was Cool." To be fair, my very conventional mom actually bought me the BD&D red box set for christmas, in the middle of all the satanic uproar. I still have that original D20...

Lynn, we also rock a small Jansport as our gaming bag, books have to be switched sometimes because we are alternating btwn D&D and Shadowrun. (It's Awakening year, you guys!) We're playing 4th edition, because that's what the GM is running. We prefered 3.5.

I have a lot of animosity towards WoW, it killed my last (fantastic) gaming group. :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:02 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

What used to be my gaming bag became the first iteration of my BOB.

Into it went whatever books were necessary for whatever we were playing at the time (For years it was the Shadowrun core book, and all of the Earthdawn books... Was a LOT lighter when Earthdawn first came out)

My dice bag (probably about 300 dice in that puppy if I had to guess, only thing missing was a d30. I even had the golf ball sized d100)

1" 3 ring binder with all characters printed on cardstock and each in it's own sleeve for easy markup. half a dozen mechanical pencils.

Spare cash for pizza. Ziplock bag with toiletries for overnights and a rolled up t-shirt with socks and underwear in it.

I dismantled it after I walked away from my gaming group (At the end of gaming sessions, I was more irritated\stressed than when it started.) Sucked worse because it was a group I put together. Today, all my books are on the bookshelf in the basement. I've channeled most of those creative juices into my own writing now.

Ice

"It's fuzzy headed liberal thinking like that that gets people eaten." - Ironbear

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:11 pm 

Ice, sorry to hear your game group fell apart.

Here's a look at my setup, with components strewn for viewing.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:02 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

You gamer geeks showin' off all your stuff are so adorable. I just wanna give ya' all a big nuggie! :P

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:57 pm 

(sniff)... That's beautiful, man! Now, if only you tripped me in the cafeteria while i was carrying my lunch, flicked me on the back of the neck with a rubber band in Spanish Class, and maybe punched me in the stomach, knocking all my possessions all over the place (bonus score for breaking my glasses), I'd feel like i was in High School again.

Did I ever mention why I started carrying a knife? :D

Also, Geek and Gamer Girls are unforgettable! Yes, yes I DO look JUST LIKE the girls in this video... except old, and fat, and ugly, and bitter. LOL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eJmYKN_1QE&ob=av3e

EDIT: I should also note, when it's 'hunker in the bunker' time, you will be WORSHIPING my mad 733T GM skillz! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:37 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Baggy in the middle? Vrock, bullette, and gold dragon (copper dragon?) minis?

I need to get me a bag of toy gold coins too. I do have a cloth bag I made full of arcade tokens and pennies. When I GM a game I always plop that down when the NPC makes an offer. Makes a cool sound.

Yeah, the 80s and the satanism thing. I survived that one too. Got in a few fights over it and some parents hated me more. Fat, nerdy, Asian (confused for Mexican), D&D player. That gets all the chicks! :roll:

Now playing in:
Kingmaker
Rise of the Runelords
Legacy of Fire
... and just started to run my PF Newbs game, box set last week and 1st level PCs next week in Kingmaker.

In my current Kingmaker game I am a wizard that just hit 10th level. First time I have played so long and consistently (as a PC) and 10th level combat (as was experienced this weekend) is kind of a whole new game.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:57 pm 

ninja-elbow wrote:
Baggy in the middle? Vrock, bullette, and gold dragon (copper dragon?) minis?

Yup (copper). Good eyes. The bags on either side are medium and small creatures. The bag to the far left are 25mm 100-years-war plastic minis, used mostly for the horses, but sometimes also as generic crowds.

The color pencils are to mark terrain on our map in Kingmaker. I'm playing a wizard as well: a half-elf bastard child of possible nobility, but brought up common. As we were lacking a ranger or druid, I took some trait that gave me Survival as a class skill. She's a sort of hill-billy in the eyes of her wizard master. :)

You might also note on the folder upper left that i have a stack of old oriental coins (used to use them as plot point tokens in the Serenity game I ran). I'd love to have a few hundred of those, instead of the fake gold coins. They sound cooler, look cooler, feel better, and have great patina. Plus, I like coins with holes in the middle...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:19 pm 

Heh, just noticed the ZS forum background is the same color as your bedroom walls, no wonder you like it here so much. Did you ever check like Ebay for old chinese coins?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:07 am 

Takaaco78 wrote:

Not in Wisconsin prisons.

http://blogs.citypages.com/blotter/2010 ... ed_wis.php

KnightoftheRoc wrote:
The end result is, you can't convince a closed mind, and you don't need to convince an open one.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:13 am 

Kenda wrote:
Heh, just noticed the ZS forum background is the same color as your bedroom walls, no wonder you like it here so much. Did you ever check like Ebay for old chinese coins?

Nah... or maybe yeah, and they were too expensive (I don't remember). Anything over 5 cents a coins seems silly to me.

Also, CryHavoc... What the??? That's just wrong man... taking away their right to play D&D... That's sad.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:48 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

I think my coin purse has some Korean and Japanese coins in it too. I actually have not opened the thing in over 10 years so I really do not know :?

Saturday night game:
Oh Noes! Baddy on other side of rushing river with 2 mind-controlled cultist henchmen facing us!!
Minis with back to us are the party - unpainteds are our Rookie of the year player (only 1 year in RPGs at all and already running Pathfinder Society games) so he gets a pass as he jokes about how hard it was to get the "chrome" coat so even on his minis. Other minis are DDM ragin orc barbarian or some such, DDM hack wood elf and wolf, Reaper painted by me - Kadoc of Ladovka half-orc wizard.

Anyways... how do we deal with these cultist minions? Bamf across the river and go for the BBEG!!
Kadoc can dimensionally step and get across some of his allies like the enlarged druid and his brother Korg the Executioner. This battle was tough but we squeaked by - Kadoc with 4 HP left by the end.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:31 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

duodecima wrote:
Lynn, we also rock a small Jansport as our gaming bag, books have to be switched sometimes because we are alternating btwn D&D and Shadowrun. (It's Awakening year, you guys!) :

I LOVED Shadowrun. My kind of genre. I played in high school over the course of a year or so until all my time/money/attention went to chicks (who were definitely NOT into that kind of rp). I always lean towards the thief/ranger type class in video games to this day because of my character from Shadowrun (I still have my char sheet around here somewhere!). I was some sort of magical melee elfie ninja thief thing with a blue cord wrapped katana and all. Mall ninja before the internet stole my ideas :lol: We had a good group of assorted characters and a GM that made use of all of us. Notable moment I remember was in a boss fight against a samurai-armor-wearing monstrosity (think Sucker Punch) was one of my team-mates rolling a natural 1 essentially and having his round lodging in the forehead of the monster's helmet and me rolling a nat 20 to follow, my punch sends said round through the dude's skull at a velocity higher than the pistol was capable of, I think it ended up damaging some other baddies behind (que bruce lee action pose to follow :lol: ) An epic moment in a fight that was going bad for us. Way too much fun, I've been chasing the dragon of that feeling in everything I've done since (especially vid games).

We also tried out Toon (I think that's the name), which was a great game just for the ability to do damn near anything. My favorite gear from it was a 'bag of anything', which was just like in cartoons where the character could pull out a huge axe or the like out of a coin purse sized bag!

I played D&D for just a little bit when I was maybe 10 or 12, my friends and I were in to it, but we just ended up having more fun playing in the woods.

I would totally jump on the chance to play again if time would allow and I'd be able to find a good group. I tried looking around the area about 2 years ago through a couple local shops. Didn't find anything but ended up buying the 20th Anniversary ed of Shadowrun :)