It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: WarHammer 40k?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:28 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Crajon wrote:
I have been playing Warhammer since I found out about in 1977. I now have somewhatly retired from playing and have a lot of Space Marines and other miniatures that I need to get rid of. If any one needs some more miniatures just let me know and will work out something.

Be interested in any space wolves or guard possibly, depending on the generation of em.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:05 am 

I used to play when I was younger, have a heap of poorly painted imperial guard lying around. Bought some Space Marines and started to paint a few at the start of the year but I've been so busy (and firearms taking all my money) that I don't have the time or cash to pursue another expensive hobby.

Does anyone play, paint or collect Warhammer 40k, Imperial Guard (if you don't mind the paint job or will strip the paint off) or Space Marines? Even have a few Tau somewhere

I've got a heap of models and some books too that I'm willing to sell, or even consider things you might want to trade. Some are still in sealed boxes, others are un-assembled or partially

If anyone expresses interest here or in a PM I can dig all the stuff up and post an itemised list of what I've got, but I won't bother if no1 is interested.

(please note, now also posted on another forum as well)

I collect foodstuffs so that I can stay alive long enough to exhaust my ammo supply.
jamoni wrote:
You win. I hope it helps you get chicks.
And on the eighth day Man forged a knife and took survival into his own hands.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:45 pm 

I dabbled in 40k; had some Dark Angels, but Epic scale Space Marines was my game of choice, I think I had 50 thousand points of Eldar at one point ;) and a fairly large Chaos army as well. I have many fond memories of games that took months to play because they were so large and needed multiple ping pong tables to play out with 2-4 players per side. We liked the massive scale and titans were just plain cool.

I've played a fair bit of Fantasy, Dark Elves mostly but yeah i'll echo what others have said, it's a huge time and money pit which if you have friends that play too is OK, but once we all grew up it definitely fell by the wayside. I still paint minis on occasion but never got much better than "good" certainly nowhere near the level that you can find online these days.

The best advice I can give is if you don't have friends that are already into it then it's not a great hobby to get into. It's expensive and takes up a lot of time and room when you get into building terrain. This is ok if you've got several buddies to spread the expense and time investment around with but doing it all yourself is daunting at best. That being said, it is a lot of fun if you actually get to USE the stuff you spent all that time making.

The fiction or 'fluff' as GW calls it is great, i've been a big fan for decades now but the video games convey a lot of the same fun without the thousands of dollars in miniatures :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:14 pm 

I was seriously thinking about starting to play again. I was going to run orks in trukks and battlewagons, converting non-GW models to keep costs down. Then I found out that they play 40k on Sundays at my local shop, the only day the bus doesn't run. :(

Oh well, Gorkamorka is now free. Maybe I'll just bring my orks up and try to get my roommates to play.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:40 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

slannesh wrote:
I dabbled in 40k; had some Dark Angels, but Epic scale Space Marines was my game of choice, I think I had 50 thousand points of Eldar at one point ;) and a fairly large Chaos army as well. I have many fond memories of games that took months to play because they were so large and needed multiple ping pong tables to play out with 2-4 players per side. We liked the massive scale and titans were just plain cool.

I've played a fair bit of Fantasy, Dark Elves mostly but yeah i'll echo what others have said, it's a huge time and money pit which if you have friends that play too is OK, but once we all grew up it definitely fell by the wayside. I still paint minis on occasion but never got much better than "good" certainly nowhere near the level that you can find online these days.

The best advice I can give is if you don't have friends that are already into it then it's not a great hobby to get into. It's expensive and takes up a lot of time and room when you get into building terrain. This is ok if you've got several buddies to spread the expense and time investment around with but doing it all yourself is daunting at best. That being said, it is a lot of fun if you actually get to USE the stuff you spent all that time making.

The fiction or 'fluff' as GW calls it is great, i've been a big fan for decades now but the video games convey a lot of the same fun without the thousands of dollars in miniatures :)

I honestly thought you would have played Chaos :lol:

But I don't, so your not alone :wink:

Were everywhere, just gotta know where to look

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:58 pm 

In before the =I= :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:53 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

quazi wrote:

/glare

:shock:
:cry:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:43 am 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

quazi wrote:

We spell it. =][=.

Tempt not the Emperors Gaze.

My Guide to Primitive Fletching
Cymro wrote:
Seriously, I'm not sure I'd fuck with Ad'lan if he had his bow with him. I just don't see that ending well.

Please Check out my PAW Story, Fagin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:31 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Ad'lan wrote:
quazi wrote:

We spell it. =][=.

And you also spell things funny with a u =P

But actually =][= is normally how I see it.

Heretics

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:57 am 

I really like the Caiaphas Cain: HERO OF THE IMPERIUM but otherwise haven't had much to do with this particular bit of fiction.

Why must all the hoops be on fire?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:08 am 

Hope you have fun with 40k. I left it a LONG time ago although time to time I still pick up minis.

From what I recall (and hate) the Blood Angels have been a really OP chapter since 3rd edition, which basically broke the game for several of the other chapters (namely Space Wolves). With their super powered engines for Rhinos by 4th Edition they gimped EVERYONE by negating assaulting out of non-open top vehicles... upon which ever marine chapter after that wished we would just chainsaw the damn roofs off our main troop transports.

That aside, if you got the money and are willing to put the time into painting the minis, the battle force is a decent starter set along with the Baal Predator. I once saw a duo Baal list where the Blood Angel player was eating everything alive with those two tanks. Blood Angels LOVE jump packs, and I forgot what their elite unit was (the black jump pack guys), but they were a nasty bunch to play against.

Blood Angels are also relatively easy to paint up (not multi color etc.)... although Reds are harder to work with (usually you need a few layers to really get on a smoother coat), with the new Foundation paints things shoul be a bit easier. I would start either with a black prime base paint, OR, if you want to take the easy way around things, go with a red spray on prime or base coat. A Krylon spray paint for $4 at Wal Mart should do the trick, and from there, coat with another layer of red, do either a black or black/red/brown wash (1 part paint to 3 parts water, or more diluted), followed by a high light of a lighter red... quick and easy. Paint the guns black (bolters at least), highlight with boltgun metal. Eyes can be white...space marine eyes are large enough where you can steady hand in with a smaller brush with whites first.. If you want to do detail work, you can. Not the most complex colors for the Blood Angels.

Anyhow, have fun...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:31 pm 

Sckitzo wrote:
Ad'lan wrote:
quazi wrote:

We spell it. =][=.

And you also spell things funny with a u =P

But actually =][= is normally how I see it.

Heretics

Orks doan spel so gud.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:36 pm 

Foxen wrote:
That aside, if you got the money and are willing to put the time into painting the minis, the battle force is a decent starter set along with the Baal Predator. I once saw a duo Baal list where the Blood Angel player was eating everything alive with those two tanks. Blood Angels LOVE jump packs, and I forgot what their elite unit was (the black jump pack guys), but they were a nasty bunch to play against.

Anyhow, have fun...

That would be Death Company you are referring to...and yes they suck to get in close with. I would say they were a close second to khorne berzerkers in assault. *shivers*

U.S. ARMY 11B1P 3rd US INF(TOG) 96-00
U.S. ARMY 94F10 101st 3rd BCT Now

Epulamur libenter eos qui nos subiungeant
________ We gladly feast on those who would subdue us _______

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:52 pm 

Well, I've pretty much decided that between my current financial situation, and the very limited following of tabletop gaming here in N. Idaho, that it really isn't worth it to spend a couple hundred to get into WH 40k at the moment.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:48 pm 

Cpt. MelonBuster wrote:
Well, I've pretty much decided that between my current financial situation, and the very limited following of tabletop gaming here in N. Idaho, that it really isn't worth it to spend a couple hundred to get into WH 40k at the moment.

Hehe, that is probably a very wise decision. I commend you for your restraint as those minis and wargaming can often be very very tempting. Ugh, unlike me who last night snuck in an order of minis from Coolstuffinc. (Soda Pop stuff) and have a shopping cart full of stuff from TheWarStore. It does help to have friends who also game, and local stores that open up rooms for gaming etc. for the local community.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:44 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

My advice is scour ebay for miniatures. Sure you may have to repaint them but it will save you money in the long run. Crypto once said it best when he said he was shocked that the Chinese did not start cloning the miniatures and undercutting the exorbitant prices that GW charges per mini.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:42 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Wolfe4086 wrote:
My advice is scour ebay for miniatures. Sure you may have to repaint them but it will save you money in the long run. Crypto once said it best when he said he was shocked that the Chinese did not start cloning the miniatures and undercutting the exorbitant prices that GW charges per mini.

It's because Russia beat them to it, most of the cheap Forgeworld minis you find on ebay are remakes, just really well done ones but rather brittle :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:28 pm 

Cpt. MelonBuster wrote:

Unfortunately, but probably a wise decision for the time being. Miniatures are fun to paint and look at, but they quickly become a waste of space and money if you don't have friends to play with. Of course, having multiple armies lets you get your friends hooked to solve that problem.

Me, I went the opposite route and wanted to share here. I played 40K from back in the day (1990 through to about 5 years ago) and enjoyed it a lot and collected several medium-sized armies. Just recently, a friend had been bugging me to buy my armies that are collecting dust just about the same time I got my gun license. I'm sure you can see where this is going. I sold him a decent sized (and well painted/converted if I do say so) Slaaneshi Emperor's Children army, a slightly smaller Tau force, and a very small collection of Orkz for enough funds to buy a Ruger MK3 target pistol, cleaning kit, range bag, hearing protection, eye protection, couple bricks of ammo, and a moderate sized gun safe to keep it all in. We're both very happy and I've still got my loyalist marines if I want to kick his ass on the tabletop any time. 40K savings plan in action. :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:08 am 

Man, I've got lots of space now and a good job, so I have the intense desire to get back into Warhammer.

Problem is that I live way away from any hobby store now, so finding other people to play with might be super difficult.

I was thinking about Kill Team, as they use tiny 200 point armies that would let me collect whatever I wanted and when friends visit it might be easier to talk them into a game with 15 models per side rather than 70. I could do a few different ork teams, as well as an imperial guard and a chaos team and I've got a access to a bunch of Black Templar and Salamanders Space Marines that my brother and cousin respectively no longer play with. Building additional teams of Eldar, 'Nids, Necrons, etc. wouldn't be overly expensive. Kill Team still requires the base rules and the codices, so it's not exactly cheap, but that also gets me more fluff.

I'm thinking it might be better to wait until 8th Edition, which people keep talking about coming out soon. However, I'm slightly worried that they might pull an Age of Sigmar on 40k. Probably not, as my understanding is they had to cut back on Fantasy because it made up so little of their sales. Also, I guess that in some ways if they go more of an Age of Sigmar route that would kind of be like Kill Team?

On the other hand, I've been looking at The Other Side kickstarter. The minis look great, and the whole steampunk Lovecraftian thing is giving me a huge nerd boner.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1334239018/the-other-side-9

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:49 pm 

I went ahead and bought an Imperial Guard (now called "Astra Militarum") army off of Ebay.

I'll also started getting the stuff to convert my footslogging Goffs to Bad Moon tredd hedz in battlewagons, but I think I'm going to hold off on that as people are talking about there likely being a new edition this year and I don't want to do all that kitbashing and modeling only to have everything changed on me.

I have enough fantasy Orcs to try the new Age of Sigmar game.

Also, there are a number of players closer to me than I thought. They're still a 1.5 hour drive away and they mostly play on Thursday nights, so that kind of sucks.