The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Discussions about Zombie training simulators such as video games, RPGs, paintball or other related simulations.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Post by ninja-elbow » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:29 pm

I got bit by the bug.

PS3 has a problem though as you can only play one character. There is a work-around but if you create a new character as per "new game" it will overwrite your old character.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

RepeatDefender
Favorite Zombie Movies: I like 'em all!

Post by RepeatDefender » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:57 pm

^That sux man. I'm playing two different characters on the 360

ETA: welcome to the addiction!!!

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:01 pm

My first PS3 too. Got it for Xmas. I prefer Xbox... but oh well. Hoping Bethesda comes out with the patch sooner than later.
President ZSC011

HackHack

Post by HackHack » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:56 pm

Rather be home playing Skyrim! :D
SHTF Mental Notes:

1.No one will care about your Spelling after the Zombies attack!
2.David Hasselhoff will always love you!
...... to be Continued

Rugger

Post by Rugger » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:08 am

Molon Labe wrote: Still trying to find a use for the charrus chitin though.
Falmer gear. The Falmer Bow is pretty bad ass, especially for very early characters. I'm guessing it's probably the best bow you can get up to level 17 or so. Upgraded a couple times (with a 50 blacksmithing), it's the same as the elven bow that you can get much later. As is the shield and armor. I can't remember what cave I picked it up in, but it was early on and the Charrus bug things were kicking my ass. It was very much a fire arrow, flame, retreat very quickly, and repeat.
*WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm and/or sophisticated satire. Any psychological or emotional damage sustained by the reader is NOT the responsibility of the contributor.
Image Red Wire Rules!!

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:02 am

I figured out the work around on the PS3 multiple character issue. If anyone else is having the issue, just create a seperate log in on your PS3 for each character and turn off autosave. Just remember to manually save all the time, like after every fight :lol:
President ZSC011

docdredd

Post by docdredd » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:21 am

The Creation Kit is out as of yesterday for the PC, Expect the mods to just get better from here on out,,,, Scale-able magic has made my mage worth playing...
SMoAF wrote:

It's always a mistake to confuse general affability with the inability to do harm.

Vicarious_Lee

I dunked a bitch's head in a bucket of ice water one time when she was OD-ing on Xanax. Worked great, but there was a LOT of paperwork afterward. :lol:

ausher
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: so far zombieland because i think it accuratly depicts what a zombie could be like. not a dead becoming undead, but an infected human... kinda like a dog with raibies. even tho signs of other survivors were non existant in the movie except for the 4 main characters and bill murray...

Post by ausher » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:23 am

You could just make another log in profile on your ps3 for other characters.

Wife bought the game for me a few days ago. I made it out of the cave and to the first town. My 10 year old pretty much took over the game. I gotta wait till the weekends to play.

Molon Labe

Post by Molon Labe » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:09 am

Word on the grapevine is that a lot of the lock up and freezing issues are contributed to save bloating. The main culprits are as follows: Nirnroot glowstacking (when you pass by a nirnroot and don't harvest it, when you come back to that cell the glow from the plant will stack on top of the previous one and all stacked glows prior to the current one never goi away.) Weapons/shields flying from an enemy's hands won't disappear from the cell if listed as "seperated" from the dead actor (so this causes sometimes up to hundereds of weapons lying freely thru out the game, making your save file that much bigger.) Same with arrows, your arrows will clean up when the cell reloads after a given time but NPC arrows that miss will not (causing yet even a larger save file.) Ash piles from perked shock damage deaths weren't cleaning up, but GStaff stated today that the patch 1.4 solved this and a lot of other clean up issues, But guess what, here's the best part, it only works if you start a new game from scratch.

Meet the new engine, same as the old engine.

[Edit] One thing I have noticed as a radical improvement with the new patch is enemy actor A.I. They actually work as advertised now. They use duck and cover tactics, they flank you, sneak shot you (didn't see that one coming.) [/EDIT]
Last edited by Molon Labe on Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Molon labe: Underwater Fire Starter-
"Tis' not shackles of iron that will chain the people, but apathy. Twill' not be weapons of steel that will keep them free, but the will to act."
Thor wrote: Never did sling load that Gama Goat.
Image You can't stop the signal.

BigDaddyTX

Post by BigDaddyTX » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:29 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... YOFLqItuW4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Skyrim game jam, the devs got a week to add whatever they wanted to the game. It's probably posted somewhere here, but it's pretty cool. A lycanthropy skill tree, giant mudcrab..
mzmadmike wrote: I may even buy another semiautomatic assault weapon rambo killing machine for my small penis, with lots of large capacity non-reusable clips full of armor piercing incendiary mercury tracer poisoned explosive hollowpoint glaser black talons

Molon Labe

Post by Molon Labe » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:47 am

Spears, fat people, flails, combining two spells together if you have the dual casting in the respective trees (flames+sparks= one column of red lightining), ice arrows (and some spells) that can extinguish torches from afar Thief style, mounted combat, a mudcrab the size of a warehouse, it all looks good (but granted the giant mudcrab was a bit too much, but something along those lines of Holy Shit!! Now That's Fantasy Combat would be great. Like the legendary bloatfly of mudcrabs.)

Oh, and if you're playing via XBox then you don't have to worry about having to download the patch again after clearing your HD Cache. The patch is now a hard saved patch that is located in your game file storage.
"Tis' not shackles of iron that will chain the people, but apathy. Twill' not be weapons of steel that will keep them free, but the will to act."

BigDaddyTX

Post by BigDaddyTX » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:53 am

I liked them all, but the one you missed that I really liked was the guard re-lighting the torches. It just makes sense. I wish the AI were just a little better, not obnoxious, but just little things like follow a blood trail, or light a torch.
mzmadmike wrote: I may even buy another semiautomatic assault weapon rambo killing machine for my small penis, with lots of large capacity non-reusable clips full of armor piercing incendiary mercury tracer poisoned explosive hollowpoint glaser black talons

Sckitzo
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (org)

Post by Sckitzo » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:15 am

BigDaddyTX wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... YOFLqItuW4

Skyrim game jam, the devs got a week to add whatever they wanted to the game. It's probably posted somewhere here, but it's pretty cool. A lycanthropy skill tree, giant mudcrab..
I liked the build your own house and a few of the others, see how long until the mod community starts working on these :lol: Bethesda gets out of so much work by letting those guys do it for free.

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:42 pm

I was also instructed by one of my Pathfinder players that turning off autosave helps a ton with PS3 lag. Still get that lightning issue occasinally though. ALso upgraded to HD (as I got an HD TV) and it looks awesome. Me and Roxxors popped, like, 27 boners seeing Skyrim in HD.
President ZSC011

ausher
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: so far zombieland because i think it accuratly depicts what a zombie could be like. not a dead becoming undead, but an infected human... kinda like a dog with raibies. even tho signs of other survivors were non existant in the movie except for the 4 main characters and bill murray...

Post by ausher » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:35 pm

It is awesome in hd. I cant wait to be able to sit down and play it. My son pretty much took it over.

RepeatDefender
Favorite Zombie Movies: I like 'em all!

Post by RepeatDefender » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:11 pm

A lot can be said good and bad about the game, but this one thing is true...it is a gorgeous game visually!

Molon Labe

Post by Molon Labe » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:09 am

I'm shelving Skyrim for now, with the option of trading it in. The lack of decent characters and good story telling (not to mention the railroaded, no quest completion options or experienced impacts on the world, finally got too me. Beautiful and expansive game world, horrible RPG considering other modern AAA RPGs to hit shelves in the past decade. I'll keep it shelved until the first DLC comes out, but if Team Howard doesn't come out of that collective stroke and actually create an interactive world setting where your choices have impact then screw it. I can play Diablo if I want a hack'n slash action game with a big map.

AKFTW
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (remake), Land of the Dead, 28 Days Later, and Zombieland!

Post by AKFTW » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:35 pm

docdredd wrote:those pandas need to harden the fuck up

ausher
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ausher » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:37 pm

Wife is addicted to skyrim. I had to watch the walking dead upstairs on the 30 inch :x

docdredd

Post by docdredd » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:51 pm

ausher wrote:Wife is addicted to skyrim. I had to watch the walking dead upstairs on the 30 inch :x

Wow, really? ..... First world problems.... we have them :lol:
SMoAF wrote:

It's always a mistake to confuse general affability with the inability to do harm.

Vicarious_Lee

I dunked a bitch's head in a bucket of ice water one time when she was OD-ing on Xanax. Worked great, but there was a LOT of paperwork afterward. :lol:

DrGonzo
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by DrGonzo » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:43 pm

I picked up Fallout 3 a couple of years ago and absolutely loved the concept, despite the fact that playing it was really never that much fun for me. I'm not a big RPGr, so I kept getting nervous that I was permanently screwing up my character in the early stages or not completing the quests "correctly", instead of just exploring, leveling up on a whim and just enjoying the experience. It got to the point where I felt like I had to do "homework" before I played and then spent 45 min screwing around with my inventory. Needless to say, this sort of sucked the fun out of it and I put it aside. I played Mass Effect a bit, but I found myself reading all of the in-game background material on all of the races, politics, history....snooze. It wasn't until I finished Red Dead Redemption with something like 94% that I was able to rewire my brain on how to play these games and actually have fun with it. There is no "proper" order. My character will grow organically with the game as it goes. I don't need to collect every single plant and cup and bowl that I come across.

So I bit the bullet last week and bought Skyrim. I still wish I'd spent some more time on the character creator (my wife thinks my Nord is so ugly, that she can't ever side with him), but I'm enjoying it nonetheless. I have some long term quest goals that I don't want to get too distracted from (although I know I will) and I'm just digging the sheer size of this place. I'm not reading all of the books (I'll skim occasionally, but that's all). I'm not stressing about the abilities that my character is deficient in. I'll either develop them over time, or start a new character with those focuses later.

The biggest thing for me is time management. I refuse to stay up until 4 am to the detriment of my job, my home life, my health and my sanity. I'm only playing about an hour or two at a stretch, and this is keeping me from getting burned out and prevents my wife from burning the place down because I'm hogging the TV. I'll allow myself a few weekend lazy-day marathons, but those are special occasions.

Fallout 3, I will return to you, and I will conquer you... :lol:
hunter wrote:Of course the term "Mêlée" is lame, it's French.
ZSC:005 The Western Washington Chapter

Sckitzo
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (org)

Post by Sckitzo » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:48 pm

Don't worry to much about screwing your character up in FO3, if you are really concerned about it just make a save before major plot points, but the minor ones don't factor in all that much to be honest.

ausher
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ausher » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:52 pm

Scooma... i... need... scooma...

Skull_Hide
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fight O

Post by Skull_Hide » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:59 pm

All about the Daedric man.
My Silnylon Alice pack DIY w/ 1606AF frame Hellcat
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 14&t=81955" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sig 1911-22LR pistol
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 10&t=82581" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If my post contains a misplaced/ random word = auto spell is a bitch.

Return to “Zombie Survival/Combat Simulations”