Fallout: New Vegas

Discussions about Zombie training simulators such as video games, RPGs, paintball or other related simulations.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

TheGunslinger
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Fallout: New Vegas

Post by TheGunslinger » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:56 am

Heh. I guess it's an Aussie thing, 'cause we carry Steyrs and no one else does, really.

And they pop up around the traps every now and again.

They did make me smile when I saw them in game - when I picked them up I was all 'hey, I can actually use this one!' :D
Bureaucracy destroys initiative. There is little that bureaucrats hate more than innovation, especially innovation that produces better results than the old routines. Improvements always make those at the top of the heap look inept. Who enjoys appearing inept? ~A Guide to Trial and Error in Government, Bene Gesserit Archive

Kommander

Post by Kommander » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:14 pm

I will freely admit that I am a bit of a purist when it comes to fallout. Not to the point where I didn't like the new game, or think that if a game is not isometric with turn based combat then its not Fallout. But there are things that feel...out of place. Things like the DE and thieves guild in the first game and the Enclave and the "vaults as experiments" bit in the second. I realize that these are personal issues, and don't really even bother me too much, but still...that M4 still seems a bit out of place.

I think part of it has to do with my whole take on alternate timelines and retrofutureism. The "point of diversion" for the Fallout world is some time after WWII. Therefore guns that were around in WWII and perhaps early in the cold war are cool, but thing developed afterwards are out of place. Modern guns also really don't fit with the whole retrofutre thing. I mean these guys are given what is esentially a blank check to design the own cool guns, and what do they go for? An M4. The same M4 I have used in more games than I care to count. I liked the stuff like the 14mm Pistol and sniper rifle from the first and second game, the Assault shotgun from the third.

Again all of this is rather minor and the game looks great. I just wish they would show that last one percent of ingenuity and make some more creative guns.

Why must all the hoops be on fire?

-Sonnenkinder
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombie Strippers.

Ahahaha....not really. That movie was utter shite.
Whenever you mix two things you're interested in, the result is utter bollocks.
Examples:
-Zombie Strippers
-Lesbian Vampire Killers
-Water Polo
-Vanilla Ice

Exceptions to this rule include, but are not limited to:
-Mutant Ninja Turtles
-Beef Jerky

Post by -Sonnenkinder » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:31 am

TheGunslinger wrote:Heh. I guess it's an Aussie thing, 'cause we carry Steyrs and no one else does, really.

And they pop up around the traps every now and again.

They did make me smile when I saw them in game - when I picked them up I was all 'hey, I can actually use this one!' :D

...but even then, it was mainly plastic, shit, and fired a round that mutants could walk into like a stiff breeze.

TheGunslinger
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheGunslinger » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:04 am

You could trade them for a fair bit, though :wink:
Bureaucracy destroys initiative. There is little that bureaucrats hate more than innovation, especially innovation that produces better results than the old routines. Improvements always make those at the top of the heap look inept. Who enjoys appearing inept? ~A Guide to Trial and Error in Government, Bene Gesserit Archive

-Sonnenkinder

Examples:
-Zombie Strippers
-Lesbian Vampire Killers
-Water Polo
-Vanilla Ice

-Mutant Ninja Turtles
-Beef Jerky

Post by -Sonnenkinder » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:12 am

.....and buy a robot components made from assorted pieces of scrap metal and a revolving dildo, if my memory serves me correctly?

TheGunslinger
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheGunslinger » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:56 pm

Robot companion? Guh?

Tell me I didn't make it all the way through Tactics numerous times and didn't find that?

-Sonnenkinder

Examples:
-Zombie Strippers
-Lesbian Vampire Killers
-Water Polo
-Vanilla Ice

-Mutant Ninja Turtles
-Beef Jerky

Post by -Sonnenkinder » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:30 am

TheGunslinger wrote:Robot companion? Guh?

Tell me I didn't make it all the way through Tactics numerous times and didn't find that?

The one where you have to defend the town from reaver attacks, and salvage parts from an attack robot for intel for the Brotherhood. There's a guy that tries to pass off his homemade concoction as a "robot component", but it turns out it's just a toaster with a dildo stuck in it.

TheGunslinger
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheGunslinger » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:07 am

Ah, that I do remember :D

Murph

Post by Murph » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:13 am

-Sonnenkinder wrote: The one where you have to defend the town from reaver attacks, and salvage parts from an attack robot for intel for the Brotherhood. There's a guy that tries to pass off his homemade concoction as a "robot component", but it turns out it's just a toaster with a dildo stuck in it.
Tell me you get to "return" it to him. :twisted:
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

Post by 147924 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:14 am

Murph wrote:I saw a trailer for it too...
I'm a little worried with how much the New Vegas skyline looks built up. I kind of like wandering in the wastes and stumbling along on what's left of the old world.

great to see my home town is still kicking after the great war

Molon Labe

Post by Molon Labe » Sun May 09, 2010 2:51 am

This game most certainly has my interest. Just read in a game informer mag that you'll now have to deal with dehydration and starvation, so eating and drinking is now mandatory, and so is dealing with the side effects of being required to do so. Stimpaks are no longer an Instant Heal type med, but you gradually regain health by using them. Same goes for rad-a-way when dealing with radiation. Definately going to force people to take on combat from a more realistic angle. Here's to hoping they don't fuck it up.
Molon labe: Underwater Fire Starter-
"Tis' not shackles of iron that will chain the people, but apathy. Twill' not be weapons of steel that will keep them free, but the will to act."
Thor wrote: Never did sling load that Gama Goat.
Image You can't stop the signal.

TheGunslinger
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheGunslinger » Sun May 09, 2010 2:56 am

That's only if you play it on hardcore mode, which anyone with balls will do.

Pussys can still play it on normal mode, where you don't have to do any of the hydration/eating stuff and stimpacks are instant heal.

Apparently you unlock a bunch of new content if you complete on hardcore.

Molon Labe

Post by Molon Labe » Sun May 09, 2010 7:24 pm

TheGunslinger wrote:That's only if you play it on hardcore mode, which anyone with balls will do.

Pussys can still play it on normal mode, where you don't have to do any of the hydration/eating stuff and stimpacks are instant heal.

Apparently you unlock a bunch of new content if you complete on hardcore.
Speaking of difficulty settings, that's actually one problem I had with Fallout 3. Turning the difficulty setting higher simply gave the enemies more hit points and higher damage ratings and higher perception scores. Woopty fucking do. With all we can do with enemy AI code what did they do? Turned everything into a gorram bullet sponge. It was actually a pretty big let down and is why I just left it set at normal. I mean come on. If I blast ANYTHING with a mini-nuke, it's gonna be fucking dead. I don't care how big it is.

I fixed nearly all these problems using the G.E.C.K modding tool and dialed the game to a more realistic setting. I added a status ailment for if the character went to long without sleep (exhaustion str-2, agility -2, per -3, exp gain cut in half.) Stuff like that. I cranked up the damage scores for all weapons, and dialed back on how fast they degraded. That way, everything dies faster, including you.

I'm hoping the 3rd party dev team that's making New Vegas will take something from all the realism mods that so many have made (to varying effects) and add a "realistic" setting that you might be able to unlock after beating the game on Hardcore.

I remember 'bout 2-3 years back, I heard rumor that there was talk of a sandbox style shooter/rpg (like what bethesda did with Fallout 3) based loosely on the Mad Max universe. The story was even supposed to take place down there too. Wonder what ever happened to it.
"Tis' not shackles of iron that will chain the people, but apathy. Twill' not be weapons of steel that will keep them free, but the will to act."

colemoge
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004), 28 Days & Weeks Later

Post by colemoge » Sun May 09, 2010 7:31 pm

Obsidian has a habbit of following up A+ games....wit B games.

This worries me vry much.
Those fighters with no losses on thier records are obviously fighting the wrong opponents.

Molon Labe

Post by Molon Labe » Sun May 09, 2010 7:37 pm

colemoge wrote:Obsidian has a habbit of following up A+ games....wit B games.

word.

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Sun May 09, 2010 7:38 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw1Vh9Yzryo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

First of a short film series about a Fallout-esque apocalyptic setting. Not bad.
Nothing is ever what it seems, but everything is exactly what it is.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

Merovech

Post by Merovech » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:04 pm

Found this today:
Hardcore mode

Hardcore Mode[8][9] (optional) delivers a sense of realism and intensity into the gaming environment. Gaming difficulty is increased[9] and encourage players to implement effective strategies, careful considerations in resource management, combat tactics, and high attention to the surrounding environment. These features include:

* Delayed healing rather than instant healing upon usage of hand-held medication units (Stimpaks)[9]
* Healing crippled limbs require a high medicine skill and medical items (Doctor's Bag)[9]
* Ammunition will have weight[9]
* Requirement of water consumption to avoid dehydration and death[9]
Sounds pretty amazing :)
What does a month worth of food really look like?: http://tinyurl.com/pvymvrw
Suburban Family Tornado Shelter and Preparation: http://tinyurl.com/na8qsfr
Cast Iron Skillets for Everyday Use and Beyond: http://tinyurl.com/onu62yj

Zoltan
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead; Dawn of the Dead(remake); 28 Days Later; 28 Weeks Later; Army of Darkness; Dead & Breakfast; I am Legend; Pet Sematary;

Post by Zoltan » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:15 pm

Really? I thought Oblivion on 360 was much better than Elder Scrolls III on original Xbox.

Wow, Hardcore sounds well.... hardcore. lol

Can't wait!!!! Collectors Edition here I come!!
Last edited by Zoltan on Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZSC:XV -- California Chapter Forum

"Doctrine is the last refuge of the unimaginative." - General James "Chaos" Mattis, USMC
CLEAR CUT wrote:Chloroform soaked rag in a ziplock baggie, Duct tape, ten milligrams of Ketamine in a syringe, and a bottle of Roofies....It must be date night!

Merovech

Post by Merovech » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:20 pm

http://fallout.bethsoft.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The intro movie looks pretty sweet :)
What does a month worth of food really look like?: http://tinyurl.com/pvymvrw
Suburban Family Tornado Shelter and Preparation: http://tinyurl.com/na8qsfr
Cast Iron Skillets for Everyday Use and Beyond: http://tinyurl.com/onu62yj

Molon Labe

Post by Molon Labe » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:44 pm

Zoltan wrote:

Really? I thought Oblivion on 360 was much better than Elder Scrolls III on original Xbox.

Wow, Hardcore sounds well.... hardcore. lol

Can't wait!!!! Collectors Edition here I come!!
Oblivion wasn't made by Obsidian. It was developed by Bethsoft, the makers of Fallout 3. Obsidian is the developer of games such as KOTOR 2, Alpha protocol, and other incomplete games that were rushed out the door as hack jobs.

Molon Labe

Post by Molon Labe » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:09 pm

Merovech wrote:Found this today:
Hardcore mode

Hardcore Mode[8][9] (optional) delivers a sense of realism and intensity into the gaming environment. Gaming difficulty is increased[9] and encourage players to implement effective strategies, careful considerations in resource management, combat tactics, and high attention to the surrounding environment. These features include:

* Delayed healing rather than instant healing upon usage of hand-held medication units (Stimpaks)[9]
* Healing crippled limbs require a high medicine skill and medical items (Doctor's Bag)[9]
Yeah, but will every gorram enemy have it's health jacked thru the roof too on top of all that? I can see adding those features, but not if your basic supermutant can take a perfectly lined head shot from a fully repaired sniper rifle shot by a character with 100 in small arms while sneaking.

In any case, I just pre ordered the Limited Collector's Edition from Gamestop. That's a lot of coin to drop for a lemon. Much, much, much potential. but so very easy to dick up.

austin93906
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, 28 weeks later, zombieland, etc

Post by austin93906 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:38 pm

sammage wrote:Interesting, still need to finish the expansions for Fallout 3.
im in the same boat here lol
Braxton wrote:So, How does it feel to be Batman? An obsolete rifle using, shingle shooting Batman, but Batman non the less.
gelgoog wrote:Hey....this is America, if at first you do not succeed keep being lazy until you get bitched at enough that you eventually get it right.
Why u should use Snap Caps

Bearcat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Do I have to choose?

Post by Bearcat » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:54 pm

I love fallout 3, I never played the other games. I can't wait for new vegas to come out. My grades are gonna drop...
ETA: Ammo is going to be weighted on hardcore too!
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Jvandenhaus wrote:Zombie squad: If you aren't one of us, you wish you were.

phoenixmastm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both versions), Land of the Dead, Undead, 28 weeks later.

Post by phoenixmastm » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:58 pm

Molon Labe wrote:
Merovech wrote:Found this today:
Hardcore mode

Yeah, but will every gorram enemy have it's health jacked thru the roof too on top of all that? I can see adding those features, but not if your basic supermutant can take a perfectly lined head shot from a fully repaired sniper rifle shot by a character with 100 in small arms while sneaking.

In any case, I just pre ordered the Limited Collector's Edition from Gamestop. That's a lot of coin to drop for a lemon. Much, much, much potential. but so very easy to dick up.
I have to agree only because, did anyone notice who the developer was? Obsidian: Those people who gave us Neverwinter Nights 2 (unfinished, buggy), Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II (unfinished, VERY buggy), and several other unfinished, very buggy games. They seem to have a problem giving us the finished project, and failing to do anything about it with patches and updates. I am still going to buy this, but I'm in no hurry since Steam has it on their pre-order, and you get special items to boot. I just have to order before release day in October.

I am looking forward to this game, but I'm not holding up high hopes that it will be better than Fallout 3, just different. Hopefully, this new one will have less crash issues and bugs.
Up onto the overturned keel
Clamber, with a heart of steel
Cold is the ocean spray
And your death is on it's way
With maidens you've had your way
EACH MUST DIE SOME DAY

- Viking battle chant

Return to “Zombie Survival/Combat Simulations”