Fallout 3

Discussions about Zombie training simulators such as video games, RPGs, paintball or other related simulations.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

quazi

Re:

Post by quazi » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:28 pm

zXzGrifterzXz wrote:
L1Z4RD wrote:I just read in EGM that you get a canine companion named "Dogmeat".
Looks like a German Shephard. Tough and can help you find things. But not so tough that he can't die. And once he's dead, he's fucking dead.

Worry not, it's no easy task to let him die. One would truly have to be careless.
Dogmeat was in Fallout 1 and 2. In the first one, if you feed him some random meat he will follow you to the ends of the earth and back. I forget how to get him to befriend you in the 2nd game but I think it was something similar.
Another way you can do it is to dress up like Mad Max.

zXzGrifterzXz
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Romero movies, The Stink of Flesh, Seige of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days later, The remakes of Night and Dawn.

Re: Re:

Post by zXzGrifterzXz » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:41 pm

quazi wrote:
zXzGrifterzXz wrote:
L1Z4RD wrote:I just read in EGM that you get a canine companion named "Dogmeat".
Looks like a German Shephard. Tough and can help you find things. But not so tough that he can't die. And once he's dead, he's fucking dead.

Worry not, it's no easy task to let him die. One would truly have to be careless.
Dogmeat was in Fallout 1 and 2. In the first one, if you feed him some random meat he will follow you to the ends of the earth and back. I forget how to get him to befriend you in the 2nd game but I think it was something similar.
Another way you can do it is to dress up like Mad Max.
Oh, with the leather jacket?

I have been in a nostalgic Fallout mood lately I just might have to reinstall Fallout 2 this weekend.
-NREMT - EMT
-NFPA 1006 Rescue Technician
-HAZMAT Technician

My Aid Bag
*Standard medical disclaimer applies to all of my posts, YMMV, Always check CNS before and after, never let the new guy drive, don't attempt anything you read here without proper supervision..... Blah Blah Blah*

quazi

Re: Fallout 3

Post by quazi » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:55 pm

For some reason I decided that it would be a good idea not to pre-order the collector's edition.

mk_ultra

Post by mk_ultra » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:12 pm

My wife is picking up our pre-ordered special edition at Gamestop as I type this .

I should be firing the game up within the hour. :D
This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence - Vyvyan

quazi

Post by quazi » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:14 pm

mk_ultra wrote:My wife is picking up our pre-ordered special edition at Gamestop as I type this .

I should be firing the game up within the hour. :D
Don't take this the wrong way, but I hope you die in a fire.

mk_ultra

Post by mk_ultra » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:22 pm

She is also gonna pick up a pizza . :D
This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence - Vyvyan

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:02 pm

Skip to the part where you get head :D
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Domino

Post by Domino » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:46 pm

Oh man, this game is SWEET! I can see it consuming soo much of my time, it will be the death of me. :twisted:

Murph

Post by Murph » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:27 am

Yeah, so I bought this for PC yesterday. It's not your old Fallout 1 & 2, which is a good thing and a bad thing.

I've had some issues with it locking/crashing, but I blame my 4 y/o computer for that. (F5 quick save is your friend!)
Exploring the wastelands in first person is very immersing.
Combat is difficult. (Both using FPS and VATS)
Most of the time I feel like I need a flashlight. Not as bad as Doom3, but still annoying.

Right now I'm playing a general good guy, which is okay.
I have a feeling that playing as a bad guy you might be able to level quicker, but have less game play choices.
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

Molon Labe

Post by Molon Labe » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:01 pm

I'll be picking it up on my way home from work. So long, social life. I'll see you in a couple of months.
Molon labe: Underwater Fire Starter-
"Tis' not shackles of iron that will chain the people, but apathy. Twill' not be weapons of steel that will keep them free, but the will to act."
Thor wrote: Never did sling load that Gama Goat.
Image You can't stop the signal.

Y.T.
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead & Breakfast,
Night of the Comet,
Shaun of the Dead,
28 Days Later,
Resident Evil: Extinction,
Planet Terror
and a host of post-apoc/sci-fi/dystopia.
...4 words for you: deaf. amish. zombie killer.
...3 more words: machine. gun. leg.

"Idiocracy: it's not just a movie, people. It's a warning."
-- said by a quite awesome friend
(yes, it qualifies as a zombie movie)
Location: Arizona, where the plants try to kill you and the sun tries to boil you alive

Post by Y.T. » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:39 pm

my guy picked up the special edition Monday at midnight. I popped on here to see what folks are saying about it and relay it to him... then realized anyone with the game won't be online (or anywhere else) for the next week. ;) I think he likes it. I kept hearing periodic exclamations from the other room while sleeping last night.
status update: Y.T. has not been eaten by zombies. She's busy in the analog world.
JOIN THE ARIZONA CHAPTER!!
desert folks links/tips * ZS Wiki * beginner help & other links * women's PAW health
Anyone can use my Unofficial Welcome Wagon(TM) message, no need to give credit or thanks if you do. :)

Murph

Post by Murph » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:18 pm

Y.T. wrote:I think he likes it. I kept hearing periodic exclamations from the other room while sleeping last night.
Sure he was playing with Fallout3 and not something else? :lol:
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

Y.T.
Night of the Comet,
Shaun of the Dead,
28 Days Later,
Planet Terror

Location: Arizona, where the plants try to kill you and the sun tries to boil you alive

Post by Y.T. » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:28 pm

Murph wrote:
Y.T. wrote:I think he likes it. I kept hearing periodic exclamations from the other room while sleeping last night.
Sure he was playing with Fallout3 and not something else? :lol:
different kind of exclamations. If not, I would be very disturbed. ;)
status update: Y.T. has not been eaten by zombies. She's busy in the analog world.
desert folks links/tips * ZS Wiki * beginner help & other links * women's PAW health
Anyone can use my Unofficial Welcome Wagon(TM) message, no need to give credit or thanks if you do. :)

gelgoog

Post by gelgoog » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:44 pm

I was all jazzed up about this game until I saw actual ingame footage. looks like they just took goofy quake weapons and threw it into a first person shooter. Doesnt look like it has much of the fallout feel at all. I would have been happy if they just used the stalker engine and reskined things, but this....no thank you. I think I'll go back to my newly purchased copies of the X-com series that now work for XP.

Y.T.
Night of the Comet,
Shaun of the Dead,
28 Days Later,
Planet Terror

Post by Y.T. » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:50 pm

gelgoog,
from what I saw it has a very similar feel to Stalker in terms of aesthetic and some of the play (though of course less realistic and less depressing). in fact both my bf and I commented on it. can't comment on detailed play though as I've only seen bits of it.

zXzGrifterzXz
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Romero movies, The Stink of Flesh, Seige of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days later, The remakes of Night and Dawn.

Post by zXzGrifterzXz » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:51 pm

Best description of this game I have heard so far is "Its Oblivion with guns", from Tim over at Ctrl-Alt-Del.
-NREMT - EMT
-NFPA 1006 Rescue Technician
-HAZMAT Technician

My Aid Bag
*Standard medical disclaimer applies to all of my posts, YMMV, Always check CNS before and after, never let the new guy drive, don't attempt anything you read here without proper supervision..... Blah Blah Blah*

Domino

Post by Domino » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:40 pm

I don't think the game resembles Stalker very much at all, which is probably a good thing. I really liked Stalker as a fairly realistic shooter and all, but it really lacks the size, gameplay, and complexity that Fallout 3 has. With Stalker all you have is pretty decent combat with some repeditive side missions and a 1 way story, Fallout 3 has a much larger, more interesting world where you can really do what you want and decide WHO you are. I would prefer the more realistic combat but Fallout 3 isn't that game nor is it trying to be. Seriously, after only playing it a few hours you really start to see that it is much more than just the combat.

ghostface

Post by ghostface » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:04 pm

I got this yesterday for an early birthday present. Haven't gotten the chance to play it yet. Stupid work/school/relationship/family/friends.

:x
The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, prejudices, to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill and suspicion can destroy, and a thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all its own...

Molon Labe

Post by Molon Labe » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:18 am

Update: Well fuck a duck, I'm really enjoying this game. I must really warn would be players that EVERY choice you make has a hand in how things turn out, both big and small. I'm currently playing a character that revolves around stealth, long range combat, and first aid; and I have to admit I'm loving it. So far, this game is scoring an 9. It's everything Oblivion should have been... immersive, entertaining, and NPC's you don't want to immediately maim with a pair of bolt cutters and a car battery.
"Tis' not shackles of iron that will chain the people, but apathy. Twill' not be weapons of steel that will keep them free, but the will to act."

Y.T.
Night of the Comet,
Shaun of the Dead,
28 Days Later,
Planet Terror

Post by Y.T. » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:06 pm

Domino wrote:I don't think the game resembles Stalker very much at all
Aw, c'mon the similarities are really obvious. ;) The color palette is almost identical. The rural landscape is very very similar because they're both post-nuke wastelands. The general play is similar because they're both RPG mixed with shooter games -- you go place to place shooting people and raiding bodies for supplies, you have to deal with rad sickness, you can build things from scrap supplies, you do the typical thing of talking to strange or angry characters in a similar way to determine the storyline and have to do missions to get gear and progress. Perhaps we've just seen the similarities clearly because my guy played Stalker back-to-back with Fallout.

But Fallout of course has a dark and subtle sense of humor that Stalker doesn't because the two have different intents and flavors. And as I said Fallout is more fantasy and less depressing (and IMO more fun as a result). So it's there that they depart. But there are a lot of surface similarities.

My bf's computer is a few feet from mine so I've seen a few hours of game play now. And we watched the "making of" video last night. I think Fallout is the only game for which a "making of" is actually worthwhile, considering the long difficult road of getting version 3 made. For those who got the special edition and are creatives, the vid is actually interesting to watch. It's fun to see their creative process in making the various elements (as well as comforting if you happen to have a similar process). It seems like the team really immersed themselves in the creation of the new Fallout world and had a true love for the originals. For example, during a blackout they wandered through a store role playing what would be critical to grab in the PAW. And they'd run around taking pictures of demolished buildings for realism. They also seem to really enjoy the new game. Rather than making an advertisement with the video (as is the usual case), they talk about how fun it is to watch something's head blow off and explode.

Bruise

Post by Bruise » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:28 pm

The real question that I have is, Any Zombies? Just Curious heading to the Mall to get my Collectors edition later today. :twisted:

Murph

Post by Murph » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:31 pm

Okay, no one is allowed to post anymore until I get the bugs worked out of this thing.

My video card could barely run it (would lockup frequently) so I just bought a new one... And now it's not playing at all... I think a reinstall might be in order, but over on Bethesda's forums it seems like I'm not the only one who's going through hell trying to get this game to work right.

Molon Labe

Post by Molon Labe » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:12 pm

Bruise wrote:The real question that I have is, Any Zombies? Just Curious heading to the Mall to get my Collectors edition later today. :twisted:
There are ghouls, which are very similar to zombies. Imagine the runners from Dawn of the Dead '04. Only thing is that's just the feral ones, there's also intelligent ones. Go onto google images and search under Fallout3 ghoul, you'll see a pic of one.

Sckitzo
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (org)

Post by Sckitzo » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:34 am

Well EBgames FINALLY shipped mine early today.Now just gotta wait 2 weeks for it to arrive, and most likely find out my laptop won't be able to run it :? (note: it honestly should, things brand new)

Been stoked about this for ages, the NMA people have been thrashing the game ever since it was announced so glad to hear people are enjoying it.

I doubt it will be FO2 good, but I'm sure it'll be better then BOS.

Those that have played the orginals, does the game still have the same feel to it?

Return to “Zombie Survival/Combat Simulations”