Fallout 3

Discussions about Zombie training simulators such as video games, RPGs, paintball or other related simulations.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Netrok

Re: Fallout 3

Post by Netrok » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:38 pm

JibbaJabba wrote:
Czechnology wrote:
JibbaJabba wrote:..k, you guys have got me amped up enough about FO3 to make me consider actually buying it (as opposed to waiting 3 weeks for the torrent :) ). I need to double check the video card on my laptop to make sure the video chipset is supported, though.

Chipset? Ouch. Good luck brother.

What? All video cards have a chipset.
Yeah, I just built my computer and even it threw a fit over framerates on occasion, good luck with the laptop; I haven't tried to see how low the video options will go, but I'd definitely avoid trying to throw it on a laptop, just my opinion. Great game though, awesome, I'm surprised no one's talked about cheating yet; if you ain't cheating you ain't trying.

Y.T.
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead & Breakfast,
Night of the Comet,
Shaun of the Dead,
28 Days Later,
Resident Evil: Extinction,
Planet Terror
and a host of post-apoc/sci-fi/dystopia.
...4 words for you: deaf. amish. zombie killer.
...3 more words: machine. gun. leg.

"Idiocracy: it's not just a movie, people. It's a warning."
-- said by a quite awesome friend
(yes, it qualifies as a zombie movie)
Location: Arizona, where the plants try to kill you and the sun tries to boil you alive

Post by Y.T. » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:38 pm

I haven't gotten to play this yet myself, but I've been playing vicariously through my bf. Just wanted to share 2 things:

1) if you meet Fawkes, help him. he rocks in all sorts of ways.
2) Liberty Prime is fucking a...w...e...s...o...m...e. go for it if you have the chance to use him.

oh, and apparently if you bump up your speech too high you'll actually miss out on some of the missions because you end up talking your way out of some game play options.

ETA: *spoiler*
when you finish the game (your storyline) this mini movie plays telling the whole story of your game play like a documentary retrospective. Very cool and funny. (edit: changed spoiler text to white)
Last edited by Y.T. on Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
status update: Y.T. has not been eaten by zombies. She's busy in the analog world.
JOIN THE ARIZONA CHAPTER!!
desert folks links/tips * ZS Wiki * beginner help & other links * women's PAW health
Anyone can use my Unofficial Welcome Wagon(TM) message, no need to give credit or thanks if you do. :)

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:13 am

JibbaJabba wrote:
Czechnology wrote:
JibbaJabba wrote:..k, you guys have got me amped up enough about FO3 to make me consider actually buying it (as opposed to waiting 3 weeks for the torrent :) ). I need to double check the video card on my laptop to make sure the video chipset is supported, though.

I thought you meant a chipset in lieu of a dedicated video card.
Y.T. wrote:oh, and apparently if you bump up your speech too high you'll actually miss out on some of the missions because you end up talking your way out of some game play options.
I did that with Three Dog, but you can go back and offer to help him. I'm doing that a lot actually, as I'm trying to keep my character from becoming "good", and I have to be a dick a lot to get rewards without +Karma.
Nothing is ever what it seems, but everything is exactly what it is.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

Molon Labe

Post by Molon Labe » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:19 am

What's wrong with the karma? Did i miss something?
Molon labe: Underwater Fire Starter-
"Tis' not shackles of iron that will chain the people, but apathy. Twill' not be weapons of steel that will keep them free, but the will to act."
Thor wrote: Never did sling load that Gama Goat.
Image You can't stop the signal.

Zdigger

Post by Zdigger » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:52 am

Yea with 15 or so in Big Guns the mini-gun is a bit of a letdown but when you corner someone with that, man talk about swiss cheese. Oh just something I did (most of you prob already did it) you know you can desecrate corpses out here. I was using a Hand Laser to cut one up in the Minefield area.

Call me master Ginsu, I love my sword, going toe-to-toe with super mutant brutes with a pointy thingy is a rush.

Zdigger

Post by Zdigger » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:04 am

Wee the National Guard Armory was an awesome shopping trip, too bad the Chinese Assault Rifle is better than the standard one, or does your repair really effect this. Anyone have any info on this?

Czechnology
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Czechnology » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:14 am

Molon Labe wrote:What's wrong with the karma? Did i miss something?
Nothin I just hate being a goody two shoes motherfucker. There are reasons to be good, neutral, and bad. I generally walk the thin grey line and keep myself from either extreme.
Nothing is ever what it seems, but everything is exactly what it is.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:If Nutnfacny were an 8-ounce chicken fried steak, he'd come with 72 ounces of batter around it that you have to slash through to get to it.

Weeman
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun Of The Dead. (Have Met Simon Pegg)
Night/Dawn/Day/Land Of The Dead. 28 days later.. And More

Post by Weeman » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:53 am

ive been playing fallout for years.
the 1st 2 games are the 4th in the best games of all time.

Go Evil. it helps. its better.
Only to a certain extent.
few tips / hints

DONT become a slaver. no one talks to you. no one wants anythin to do with you. you cant get many NPC help

Except that. the post apocolyptic world is your oyster. be as evil as possible. and reap the rewards.
Notice It Says Weeman.. Not WeeBoy.
.. Sup Ladies. :P

quazi

Post by quazi » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:05 am

It took me four tries to kill Burke before he could kill Simms. I was really tempted to let Simms die, because I wanted his duster and cowboy hat.
Czechnology wrote:Oh, have you found armor better than the Recon armor yet? It's got the best DR I've seen and gives you bonuses to stealth.
IIRC metal armor has a higher DR than recon armor, but it gives you a -1 penalty to Agility.

I need to go looking for the Brotherhood of Steel so I can get trained in the use of my power armor.

My current setup is:
Metal Armor
Shady Hat or Raider Wastehound Helmet, depending on what I'm doing.
Assault Rifle
Combat Shotgun
Hunting Rifle
Scoped .44 Magnum (for special occasions)
Silenced 10mm Pistol
Shishkebab (really handy for rad scorpions and mirelurks)

Zdigger

Post by Zdigger » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:06 am

On a note of being "bad" (as above not a slaver but the Messer slaver weapon is fun to use) but bounty hunters stalk you so its a great source of ammo and xp.

JibbaJabba
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by JibbaJabba » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:19 am

Hmm, apparently a lot of people on Amazon have been complaining about the game crashing after anywhere from 5 minutes to 3 hours. I'm hoping most of these people are just numbnuts that don't know how to keep their GPU cool.

I ordered the PC version of Fallout 3 a few minutes ago. It'll be interesting to see which takes longer - it being shipped all the way to Iraq, or my torrented download of it finishing at 4 kb/sec. :mrgreen:
Netrok wrote:
JibbaJabba wrote:
Czechnology wrote:

Yeah, I just built my computer and even it threw a fit over framerates on occasion, good luck with the laptop; I haven't tried to see how low the video options will go, but I'd definitely avoid trying to throw it on a laptop, just my opinion.
My laptop's not top-of-the-line, but it's certainly better than about 50 or 60% of the desktops out there.

Intel Core 2 Duo (2 cores at 1.5 gHz each)
2 gigs of RAM
GeForce 8600M GS w/ 256 MB of RAM (it reports to DirectX Diagnostic Tool as having 1024 MB available, but it's really 256 and it just 'borrows' system RAM. Silly town.)
250 GB HDD

Not the best system around but it runs Dawn of War, Company of Heroes and Supreme Commander with zero issues at full settings.

Crysis, of course, is impossible to run on any system currently known to man. ;)

Anyway, hopefully Fallout 3 won't make my system its bitch like Crysis did.
PlE or GTFO! Image
bonanacrom wrote:I found that if your 6 feet tall and weigh 260 pounds and answer the door naked with a big shit eating grin on your face you get to control the conversation right from the beginning.

Weeman

Post by Weeman » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:52 am

My laptop is Bang on the same as yours

Intel Core 2 Duo (2 cores at 1.5 gHz each)
2 gigs of RAM
GeForce 8600M GS w/ 256 MB of RAM (it reports to DirectX Diagnostic Tool as having 1024 MB available, but it's really 256 and it just 'borrows' system RAM. Silly town.)
250 GB HDD

it sint an ACER by any chance is it?

it runs really well. just tweak the options to lower shadows. as they have no point or use in the game.
but Crysis runs fine on my laptop. not had a single worry.
never found a game i cant yet play.

go for the power armour and helm. gives +2 STR. -1 Agi, and adds Resistance. it cant be used til after the training. but my god its imbah.
use the workbench to get some "home made deathclaw fist weapons" my god they own.
i also got a Super Sledge as melee, and a Shishkebab Flame Sword
the a Rare Vindicator laser gatling gun,
Rare Flamer
Sniper Rifle
Missile Launcher

Also. stock up on Bottlecap mines, and the home made "nuka Quantom" grenades. easy to make. :D

zombie_mike

Post by zombie_mike » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:46 am

zombiedigger wrote:Wee the National Guard Armory was an awesome shopping trip, too bad the Chinese Assault Rifle is better than the standard one, or does your repair really effect this. Anyone have any info on this?

Yes, the higher the repair skill the more effective your repairs and the better your "made" weapons turn out. I suggest pumping that up quickly. I made it 100 before anything else and it has payed dividens. I use less dups to keep my stuff maintined and my rock-it, shisk, etc start out at 100%.
June 26th, 2008---The Day Gun Prohibition Died!
crypto wrote:
rodka wrote: It feels like an orgasm in the hand
So, uh, do you mean it's all sticky, or what?
I prefer pistols that dont feel like they're jizzing on me, thanks.

JibbaJabba
BANNED
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by JibbaJabba » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:47 am

Weeman:

No, it's an HP. I love it, it's been great for everything I've used it for so far, it just can't run Crysis to save my life. I literally have to load the game with minimum settings and everything turned off just to make it remotely playable, and even then it's something like 34 fps standing still and 15 or less fps during combat. :| I'll admit that I haven't done everything I can to tweak my GeForce 8600 to optimally render Crysis... but then, should I really have to?

Thankfully I'm not even close to being the only person to bitch about Crysis' ridiculously demanding graphics engine. True, every time a new game comes out the internet explodes with complaints about graphics compatibility - there's always that horde of players-who-refuse-to-update-their-hardware. But Crysis generated an exceptionally large amount of bitching in this regard ;)
PlE or GTFO! Image
bonanacrom wrote:I found that if your 6 feet tall and weigh 260 pounds and answer the door naked with a big shit eating grin on your face you get to control the conversation right from the beginning.

Zdigger

Post by Zdigger » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:09 am

Kwel thanks on the Repair info, just got done voting so back to the game (small note, since so many dead people seem to be voting, I decided to vote on a few dead people to balance: go Reagan and Vader)

Zdigger

Post by Zdigger » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:11 am

Ok started over High STR and INT (for skills and carry cap) was gonna name her BethDeath and make her kill everyone in FO3

Weeman

Post by Weeman » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:37 am

Jibba Jabba..
have you found any decend drivers for your 8600?
i have the mobile laptop version and its like they havent made any graphics updates for this what so ever. its a pain in the arse tbh.

Fallout 3.. Get your barter skill up to the MAX
its so much better when buying, selling. also.. Repair, and Lockpicking..
Make sure you get yourself the "Fat-Boy" Nuke launcher too. its epic for taking out hordes of super mutants.

remember tho. Stay Evil.
people respect you a lot more

quazi

Post by quazi » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:15 am

Weeman wrote:remember tho. Stay Evil.
people respect you a lot more
Yeah, but if your good you get presents. I mean, some iguana bits and dirty water totally make up for not robbing everyone blind, right? [/sarcasm]

I think my karma is so high right now that I could start eating babies in front of people and they'd be all like "Eat my baby next, Rick James, you deserve it!"

Yes, I named my character Rick James.

I actually just started an evil character that I'm going to play simultaneously.

Murph

Post by Murph » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:28 am

Yeah, I'm so good "Samuel Adams" has a bounty on his head. 1000 caps last I checked. I wish I could cash myself in for it.
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

Weeman

Post by Weeman » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:46 am

im well evil. people dont even talk to me. i blew up megatron (the FMV Video for that is so sweet) i Butcher civilians, slaughter most caravans.. i just dont kill children.
like.. meet a caravan. so.. trade? get a few bits.. or kill the master and the guard. u get a gun, ammo, and loadsa supplies. all for some Karma loss. good trade i think.

dont get me wrong. ive got a goodie-2-shoes char aswell. but im enjoying the evil side a lot more. lets you act out things that most people wudnt nightmare about. >_>

Murph

Post by Murph » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:49 am

Ode To My Combat Shotgun

The Dispatcher of Ghouls
My 12 Guage Guardian
Raiders run in fear
No other is better
I will stay true to you,
Com-bat Shot-gun
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

Brit-ZedHunter
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later, Diary of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead, Res evil movies

Post by Brit-ZedHunter » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:33 am

Loving this game so far!

I'm almost level 11 and I havent been to the radio station yet :)

Done some great quests.

Im currently running arround in the assasin armour (that the assassins wear when someone puts a bounty on you) and combat helmet. oh and the Ghoul mask :)

Im playing a stealth / sniper charecter.
My main weapons are:
Sniper Rifle
Hunting Rifle
Combat Shotgun
Silenced 10mm pistol
Scoped .44
10mm machine pistol thing

Repair is a really useful skill. Having your weapons fully repaired makes a decent different to the damage they do. I currently have repair at 85.

I'm really pleased with the way my character is comming, I got some really nice stats.

I put all my perk points early on into the perk that lets you add to your S.P.E.C.I.A.L. so that I could max INT to 10 ASAP. This means that you get additional skill points every level. I also took the perk that gives you +2 to a stat when you read a book. I also took another one that gives you +skill points each level, dont remember the name. This means I am going be able to almost max (100) all skills by lvl 20 which is the cap.

A lot of the tempting perks are really a waste of time like the ones that give you more XP, there is unlimited XP in the game and a level cap so this perk is the biggest waste of points out there. The only slightly wasteful perks I took are the ones that make people explode (although you do get a 5% damage increase) and the one that lets you carry 50lbs extra equipment. I am glad I took that though.

How have you guys built your characters?
-Brit-ZedHunter
ZSC:010 Member

Sckitzo
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (org)

Post by Sckitzo » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:12 pm

So, got the game in the mail, my fears of this Acer not running it were fine, was pleseantly surprised. Auto setting chose medium and the game runs with no hicups to FPS.

Having a blast so far, playing uber-good gunslinger type atm. Gonna play evil-sneaky prick next go around.

cavitycreep

Post by cavitycreep » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:53 pm

I just got "Lincoln's Repeater." It's a .44 magnum lever action that is like the Hunting Rifle on steroids!
It's a one of a kind item, but you can repair it using regular hunting rifles.

It's now my MBR. Takes out most supermutant brutes in 2-3 shots!

Return to “Zombie Survival/Combat Simulations”