The Last of Us 2

Discussions about Zombie training simulators such as video games, RPGs, paintball or other related simulations.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

The Last of Us 2

Post by majorhavoc » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:28 pm

Guess this settles it: there's a PS4 in my future.

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: The Last of Us 2

Post by ManInBlack316 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:28 pm

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Post by Beowolf » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:40 pm

Shit. I may have to get one now.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Post by The Twizzler » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:02 am

That was awesome, but I always hated the play station controllers.
I began my journey with the NES, then played with the the Genesis, N64 was a passing romance,was deserted by the Dreamcast, then the Power of Microsoft lured me in like the Sirens, I now wait for the Ides of March to come back to the beginning a Nintendo Switch.

You can play it on your tv like a home console or on the go. At home you can use an actual full size controller, on the go you can use it kinda like an old Sega Game Gear or you can give one side to two people and can play it that way. The big news is we are going back to cartridges ( ok they are micro disk cards) but still no CDs to worry about scratching.
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by majorhavoc » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:33 am

I came of gaming age playing first person shooters with mouse look aiming and W-A-S-D directional control on a keyboard. Which I'm still pretty good at even though I really don't play much anymore. But put a game console controller in my hands and I'm ridiculously inept moving and aiming.

The fact that I had to use the PS3 controller was the only thing I didn't like about TLOU.

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Post by Beowolf » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:14 am

I also detest PlayStation controllers. Another Nintendo child here, and I love Xbox.

But for this experience...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

quazi

Post by quazi » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:24 pm

I wonder if it will support mouse and keyboard.

I borrowed a PS3 to play the first one, after I gave up on there being a PC port, but I couldn't make myself play it very far due to the controller.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by majorhavoc » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:28 pm

quazi wrote:I borrowed a PS3 to play the first one, after I gave up on there being a PC port, but I couldn't make myself play it very far due to the controller.
I feel for you; that was exactly my situation. I purchased a refurb PS3 for this one title alone. I'll just say it's really worth the trouble to keep at it, even if it means replaying the early mission (finding the double-crossing smuggler Robert) again and again until you develop the requisite muscle memory to navigate this world without getting killed at every turn (which isn't to say you won't still die often, because the game keeps throwing you curves).

Knock down the difficulty level if you must, but the story and the characters are what make the game so amazing. It's worth it.

Although at this point, the thing to do would be to go straight to the PS4 and play the remastered original, which also includes the DLC dealing with Ellie and Riley's prequel story. Then you'd be set for TLOU 2 whenever it comes out.

quazi

Post by quazi » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:39 pm

I'm thinking about actually just looking for a video of someone's playthrough with no commentary from the person playing.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by majorhavoc » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:37 pm

Well, do whatever you want; TLOU is a great story. But a lot of the power and impact of the experience comes from actually playing it. It's more than just the game play keeping you invested in the story by tasking you to meet challenges and overcome obstacles. There's a responsibility and ultimately an accountability you feel for the actions and the choices your character is making, particularly a fateful one near the end of the game. Don't want to give too much away but with most games you identify with the character you're playing and continue to sympathize with their situation through to the very end. By the end of TLOU, you're left wondering who the real monster is; the creatures and humans you fight, or the character you've been controlling all along.

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:40 pm

I really dislike how video game previews always neglect to show actual game play, and just feature cut scenes.

That said Last of Us had amazing game play as well as some great random dialog while just walking about. I kinda wonder if my theory will play out in this sequel. I had noticed that Ellie while the 1st known immune person might not be the only one. In fact in the beginning there was a group pulled out of a building and checked for contamination. One girl was found to be positive, and immediately executed. But she seemed shocked she was contaminated. Might she have been like Ellie? Could hundreds of other immune have been killed by the policy to kill anyone contaminated or by themselves thinking they were giving themselves mercy? What Ellie did different was keep it a secret and not get killed before her immunity showed itself. Guess we will see after this is released if they delve into this possibility.

As for the folks complaining about not liking the PS controllers, I personally dislike the Nintendo controllers. So guess I understand though in reverse and well Nintendo games never tempted me. PlayStation always seemed to have the better game options for what I liked to play. Though I tend to be a gen behind in consoles. I got my PS2 after PS3 came out. Once PS4 came out I got a PS3. I find this a good strategy as the consoles come down a lot in price after the next gen comes out. As well as there are massive amounts of used games available and you have lots of resources to learn what games are actually worth it. Instead of falling for hype and spending $50-$60 for a new game that sucks, you can spend $10-$20 on a game you know is awesome and highly recommended.
quazi wrote:I'm thinking about actually just looking for a video of someone's playthrough with no commentary from the person playing.
I have actually been doing a lot of watching playthroughs of some of the awesome story driven games out there. There are some great games I will never play but loved watching the story unfold. For example, Firewatch, Untill Dawn, Life is Strange, Soma, Heavy Rain, The Magic Circle, and many others. Many of these play out more like movies than games in these playthroughs, which is just awesome. Stuff like Firewatch where there is no battles or fights but a constant feeling like any moment there might be some intense drama or action yet in the end it is just a story really amazes me. The Magic Circle was hilarious look inside the gaming industry, as the character steps inside an unfinished game and has to finish it, as well as has a level at the end where you design and build a game then get to play it. A very meta game.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Return to “Zombie Survival/Combat Simulations”