It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:41 pm 

This past weekend I started playing Mount & Blade: Napoleonic Wars.

It's an online multiplayer game where most of the players are armed with early 19th Century weapons. Obviously the pace is quite different than most online FPS games like Battlefield or CoD.

I'm really enjoying this game so far. The closest thing I can compare it to in feel is Chivalry: Medieval Warfare, but Chivalry is a faster-paced game with a better melee system. They are really pretty different from each other, and their similarities are mostly in that they are different from normal shooters. (Also they both seem to lack built-in voice chat and rely on text chat, making it harder to coordinate in pickup games but a lot easier to ignore the thirteen years olds screaming racial slurs.)

I would recommend buying this game if it goes on sale. It's pretty old, but it has enough of a following that they normally charge ~$30 for it but Steam had it on sale for ~$13.

I've pretty much just been playing siege games, where the defenders have to hold out against the attackers for a set amount of time. Team numbers are the same, but defenders only get a set number of lives while attackers get infinite respawns.

The controls are simple, but I'm still trying to figure out how everything works. For instance, I'm not sure if bullet drop and leading running targets make any difference because everything is so inaccurate that it makes it hard to tell.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:55 pm 

Can you use a controller ( in my case x-box 360 through the USB on the computer) as I am not great with the mouse/keyboard, at the same time, type of game?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:48 pm 

I did some Googling, it it sounds like the game does support Xbox controllers. There were mixed reviews on how well it worked. Some people said it worked fine, some people said it was terrible. I will say that among the terrible crowd there seemed to be quite a bit of anti-controller bias.

It seems like it would be a good game for a controller as the shooting is inaccurate and 3rd person melee combat is a big part of the game. That said, some people who didn't like the controller but sounded more impartial reported it being slightly harder to aim in melee as well as shooting. I don't have a controller to test it out with myself.

I suck at melee games, and generally have a strong preference for shooting. Shooting is an important element in this game, but I'd say getting good with a bayonet is better. There are different classes, including riflemen who are definitely more accurate. They aren't nearly as accurate as in most shooters though, and of course they reload considerably slower. The riflemen don't get a bayonet, they either have to use a riflebutt or saber in melee. The bayonet has a definite advantage over these in my experience. Another advantage to the bayonet even on defense is that if their sappers start trying to build ramps you can reach over the top of the wall and stick them way easier than with a saber.

It can still be worth playing as a rifleman, especially as the defender in a siege or as an attacker before your team's artillery crews breach the walls.

I haven't played an artillery class yet. It is a fun part of the game though. Much of the environment is destructable, so attacking artillery crews will be hammering on walls trying to create breaches while defending crews will be targeting chokepoints and nailing bunches of people with canister shot or mortar rounds. It's pretty cool when a cannon or explosive collapses part of a building and the attackers start pouring through but it's hard to see anything due to all the dust.

The firearms produce a decent puff of smoke, but it doesn't last long which is a bit of a bummer. Understandable though, as with 150 people all shooting trying to render all that smoke would probably lag the shit out of everything.

The biggest thing that might turn people off (other than the outdated graphics) is that it is not unusual to spend well over a minute jogging to the front lines only to be killed before you get a single shot off.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:39 pm 

I will give it a look, thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:49 pm 

I probably should have posted a video.

Here's the launch trailer, but be aware that it might give you the wrong impression of the game.

It's not inaccurate in that it is gameplay footage. The thing is that in most pickup games that I've been a part of there isn't nearly that level of coordination with people marching in lines and firing in volleys. It's not that there isn't teamwork, it's just that people run in mobs and fire as the opportunity presents itself.

However, my understanding is that there are lots of clans who organize line battles much more like what would have been seen on actual Napoleonic era battlefields. I haven't looked into this much as I've just been having fun playing siege with randos on public servers.

Here's a video with some gameplay more like what I'm used to:

(Yeah, people do weird shit like that a lot in this game. Sometimes it's funny, sometimes it's annoying.)