Command of War demo

Discussions about Zombie training simulators such as video games, RPGs, paintball or other related simulations.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

quazi

Command of War demo

Post by quazi » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:21 pm

There's a fun little demo for a WW1 RTS-ish game called Command of War. It's not a very complex game, but I found it surprisingly challenging to figure out.

Here's where the demo can be downloaded:
http://www.megafileupload.com/7orh/Comm ... 3eM0Wyw%3D

I found out about it from a video posted by Youtuber BaronVonLetsPlay while checking to see if he had nay more Totally Accurate Battle Simulator videos up.

Here's his video. I only watched the first bit as the game looked interesting and I didn't want to spoil it.

It took me about four tries to figure out a strategy that worked, not counting the times I rage-quit over hitting the wrong button. It is really frustrating to click the wrong arrow and send all of your machine guns and snipers over the top.

This is the kind of game where most of the fun is figuring out a strategy that works, so I'm posting a strategy spoiler below in really tiny font.
What worked for me is to not bother taking the middle trench.
Put 2-3 machine guns and 2-3 snipers in the second trench from the spawn point. This should be enough to hold off most any attack. Make sure to space them well. At first you won't have enough money for so many snipers and machine guns and will have to use a bunch of riflemen.
Fill the closest trench to the spawn point with submachine gunners and 2-3 officers. Lots and lots of submachine gunners. When you have enough for a tank, send them all to the trench with your snipers and machine guns and then send them all forward, following the tank.
You should be able to roll over the enemy all the way to their spawn point this way, but their artillery is a wildcard.

Some general tips:
Make sure to micro-manage your snipers to make killing their snipers a priority. It sucks losing a machine gun to a sniper.
Don't waste intelligence on air strikes to kill enemy infantry. Try to save at least one intelligence in order to do a precision air strike on an enemy tank if it shows up.
If you gt the choice between units and intelligence, you should pretty much always choose intelligence.

quazi

Re: Command of War demo

Post by quazi » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:39 am

More strategy spoilers:
Okay, it seems obvious but spamming crazy amounts of riflemen to the middle trench does work. You can hide a single machine gun among them and snipers won't often hit him by luck. Adding a counter-sniper can be handy, but didn't seem to be necessary. I added some officers but didn't even require a tank for the final charge I had so many riflemen.

Another thing that worked was a 95% sniper army. I found that surprising, since I figured they couldn't hold up to a mass charge. Of course I had to use riflemen to hold off the very first bit before I could afford a decent number of snipers. Judicious use of artillery helped a lot. Once the snipers take the middle trench they can snipe the shit out of enemies raveling in between the two enemy trenches. I did use a tank for the final charge, so maybe that was cheating.

The game seems easier now than when I first started. I think that's partly due to getting the hang of the timing, and partly due to not accidentally launching charges all the time.

quazi

Re: Command of War demo

Post by quazi » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:34 pm

Command of War has had a few updates. New units like shotguns and flamerthrowers, new tanks, gas attacks, mortars, etc.

They've also got a trench defense mode which is pretty challenging.

I haven't had a chance to play the very latest update yet, but here's where it can be downloaded: LINK.

They've got a Kickstarter campaign going for the full version of the game: LINK.

Return to “Zombie Survival/Combat Simulations”