Battlefield 1

Discussions about Zombie training simulators such as video games, RPGs, paintball or other related simulations.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

quazi

Battlefield 1

Post by quazi » Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:41 am

So, I'm guessing everyone has heard of this by now.

When I first heard about this I got really excited, but that's waned a little bit.

From the gameplay clips I've seen it looks like everyone is running around with full-auto weapons and I don't see much in the way of trenches. This bums me out a bit. Don't get me wrong, too much realism is a bad thing and having loads of full-auto weapons is in keeping with Battlefield 1942. I just wish they could find ways to balance the majority of classes using bolt-action rifles. I'm guessing there will be more in the way of trenches when the full game is released.

The other thing I've been feeling a little weird about lately is games like this based on real life events. It's been a long time since I played a WW2 shooter, I've mostly just been playing sci-fi shooters and CS. Maybe it's just because I've been doing a bunch of reading on WW1 recently, but the idea of basing a video game on it does make me feel a little uncomfortable in some ways. On the other hand I never used to feel that way, and I don't think I would feel weird about a game set in Agincourt or Thermopylae.

I think I'll still probably get it, I might just wait until after the first price drop.

Also, I've had Verdun installed for several months. I should try playing it now that things have started to slow down a bit.

Maeklos
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead (the original), Resident Evil

Re: Battlefield 1

Post by Maeklos » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:28 am

I was excited when I first heard how Battlefield 1 was taking things to the First World War. The idea of a shooter set in the heavy trench warfare with bolt-action rifles, shotguns, trench knives, archaic tanks, artillery bombardments, gas attacks, bi- and tri-planes, and airships is awesome. However, the actual gameplay footage of it looks like Any Other Shooter. Like was mentioned, automatic weapons and fighting on open fields and cityscapes is something that I've done and gotten over. Call of Duty 2 is still the apex of that sort of historical shooter for me. Being able to take a part in the beach landings at Normandy on D-Day, the British campaign in North Africa, and the Soviet counter-attack across the Volga were awesome... So awesome that I don't feel the need to play a WW2-wannabe WW1 shooter.

Give me trenches. Give me sustained artillery bombardments and gas attacks. Give me night patrols out to cut wire. Give me mass infantry charges across No Man's Land. Don't give me a bunch of twitch-shooter BS that was done and done better a decade ago.
Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

"If the Russian flag were accurate, it would depict half a cabbage, a bottle of vodka, and a cold man dying for the Motherland."

quazi

Post by quazi » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:34 pm

I agree with you.

I think they could balance things out, but I'm not a game developer so a lot of my ideas probably wouldn't work as well as I think.

I played a lot of Battlefield 1942 and some BF2. I haven't played any of the more recent Battlefield games, but I think they still use different classes with different equipment loadouts and the objective is still to reduce the other team to zero by killing them and capturing points on the map. This seems like it would be an ideal way to do a WW1 FPS.

There could be an assault class that had access to LGMs, SMGs, shotguns, etc. I think that new and bad players might be attracted to this class, but with the if the other classes and enough benefits.

Sniper and Medic are obvious classes that could be given bolt-action rifles.

One class could get a bolt-action rifle, HMG ammunition and grenades.

One class could get a bolt-action rifle, a cool-down ability to trigger artillery/gas attacks, and have the ability to repair/place barbed wire and other obstacles and fortifications.

Have you played Verdun Maeklos?

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:24 pm

I've always wondered why no one has made a decent WW1 FPS game in the past decade or so. I know Battlefield and Call of Duty started out as WW2 shooters, but I'm curious as to why neither franchise made a WW1 shooter during their beginning years.

I know there's been a few strategy type games set in WW1, but nothing on consoles and nothing with a big budget or release. And definitely nothing in a first person shooter style.

quazi

Post by quazi » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:43 pm

I think it was commonly believed that a trench warfare shooter would be boring. I don't see why it would have to be though. Scouts/knives was pretty popular in CS.

Maeklos
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead (the original), Resident Evil

Post by Maeklos » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:36 pm

quazi, I earmarked Verdun onto my Steam wishlist after I read a review about it. That and Arma III are both on there, waiting for a good sale to come along. I tend to prefer slower-paced, more historically-accurate and/or realistic shooters as opposed to the quasi-modern-day, twitch FPS crap that gets shoveled out year after year these days. To me, that kind of playstyle peaked with Unreal Tournament.

12_Gauge, the reason why none of the early FPS shooters went the WW1 route was because trench warfare wasn't really dynamic, and coding and hardware technology at the time (late 90's, early 00's) wasn't advanced enough to let all of the different facets of the battlefield (artillery, tanks, aeroplanes, etc) be able to be implemented well. This is why when games like Battlefield: Vietnam and Battlefield 1942 came along and introduced fully-controllable airplanes, tanks, etc, it was such a big deal. But by then, the WW2 era shooter was already firmly established. There was also worry about whether contemporary gamers would be drawn to a time period that's relatively unknown in modern American society - while kids of that (my) generation grew up with old WW2 films (The Longest Day, A Bridge Too Far, Where Eagles Dare, etc) and had that interest pushed higher by Saving Private Ryan, Band of Brothers, etc, WW1 has always been a black hole in modern America. Probably because our involvement in it was so brief and it was way overshadowed by the Great Depression and WW2.

Was an interesting article about all of this that came out on....IGN? Gamefaqs?...when DICE first announced Battlefield 1 where the folks sat down with one of the lead designers for the game.
Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

"If the Russian flag were accurate, it would depict half a cabbage, a bottle of vodka, and a cold man dying for the Motherland."

quazi

Post by quazi » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:58 pm

The original UT is one of my favorite games. I do like sci-fi shooters. I liked how opponents needed to be shot multiple times, but the weapons still seemed to do more damage than similar FPS games. Even in completely unrealistic shooters I think having to chase people around hosing them down for fifteen seconds just makes for bad gameplay.

Maybe it will turn out that there is a game mode that unlocks all the weird prototype weapons and those that saw limited use, and there are a few maps that don't have trenches and encourage fast gameplay, and it just so happens that they've only made those maps and that game mode available for beta testing so far. I really doubt that's the case, but hey, there's always hope.

Maeklos

Post by Maeklos » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:50 pm

These days, if I want a good, fast-paced-yet-thoughtful online shooter, I fire up multiplayer in Mass Effect 3. With dozens of classes that offer a lot of unique playstyles you'll never see in 'realistic' shooters, dozens of powers and abilities, hundreds of weapons, lots of enemies, and excellent cooperative mechanics for the matches, it's a lot of fun. And, surprisingly, the multiplayer community is still active, what, 4 years after the game's release? It's got that brutal, meaty damage that UT had in spades. Miss hitting people with a full-on flak cannon round and watching them turn into pasta sauce? No problem. Fire up a massive shotgun like an M-22 Eviscerator or the good ol' M-300 Claymore. You only get one shot for each thermal clip with a Claymore, but man, is it worth it. Watching Cerberus soldiers explode in chunky red mist is deeply satisfying.

Which is one reason why I hope Mass Effect: Andromeda keeps a multiplayer component like that, or allows friends to drop in and join your game entirely, a la Borderlands 2.

Still, keeping my fingers crossed about Battlefield 1. With as huge as a disappointment as the reboot of Galactic Battlegrounds was, I'm not holding my breath too hard, though.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:17 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I've always wondered why no one has made a decent WW1 FPS game in the past decade or so. I know Battlefield and Call of Duty started out as WW2 shooters, but I'm curious as to why neither franchise made a WW1 shooter during their beginning years.

I know there's been a few strategy type games set in WW1, but nothing on consoles and nothing with a big budget or release. And definitely nothing in a first person shooter style.
Red Orchestra is still WWII, but gets closer. If a WWI comes out, it will probably come from the Chivalry/Mount and Blade folks.

I'd set aside some scratch for a WWI game if it was well done. Its a strange mix of horse, automobile, proto-tanks, and trench warfare that would be hard to do right. Same problem as an American Civil War game or Napoleonic Wars game.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

quazi

Post by quazi » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:17 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:I'd set aside some scratch for a WWI game if it was well done. Its a strange mix of horse, automobile, proto-tanks, and trench warfare that would be hard to do right. Same problem as an American Civil War game or Napoleonic Wars game.
I was just thinking that with something like the HTC Vive a Napoleonic era game might actually work out. Since a person gets a controller for each hand and reloading a musket requires so much movement it might be a lot of fun.

Maybe the French and Indian War?

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:35 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I've always wondered why no one has made a decent WW1 FPS game in the past decade or so. I know Battlefield and Call of Duty started out as WW2 shooters, but I'm curious as to why neither franchise made a WW1 shooter during their beginning years.

Red Orchestra is still WWII, but gets closer. If a WWI comes out, it will probably come from the Chivalry/Mount and Blade folks.

I'd set aside some scratch for a WWI game if it was well done. Its a strange mix of horse, automobile, proto-tanks, and trench warfare that would be hard to do right. Same problem as an American Civil War game or Napoleonic Wars game.
There's WWI fighter planes, Zepplins, artillary strikes, you use an antique syringe to heal people and there's gas and gas masks too.There's a bunch of BF1 Beta multi player gameplay up on YouTube youtube search BF1. To me it has to many full auto weapons and gadgets that make it still feel like BF4, but the HUD is old school CoD3.

Maeklos

Post by Maeklos » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:36 pm

quazi wrote: Maybe the French and Indian War?
The French and Indian War would be amazing if they were able to incorporate ambush-style battles, dense forests, rivers and streams, and so on. Given that the war lacked a lot of the large formations and set piece battles of other wars of the time, it would make for a very interesting battle dynamic.

MacWa77ace

Post by MacWa77ace » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:21 pm

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Post by The Twizzler » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:32 pm

This could be interesting I will hold my breath till I play it. I would say while most of WW1 was static the first few months were anything but .I think this period is what the game designers are focusing on. I did have an idea I think would make for a good WW1 game. Instead of making an FPS game about a largely static war how about be the the generals and weapon makers behind the lines and then see them play out in real time. A few examples of real ideas put forth during the conflict.
1. The french govt asked for ideas from the general public concerning weapons of war. One of the worst was an idea to throw a barbed chain into the propeller and for the pilot to fly extremely low dragging enemies up into the propeller where they would be killed.
2. Fire Zepplins- just like a fire ship commonly used to burn ports and large fleets since ancient days. I don't imagine they had a large group of volunteers but can you imagine a whole Zepllin loaded down with pitch and oil going down over London or Paris.
3. Kamikaze dogs. Load a dog with a bomb and train him to seek out the enemy both people and material. Blow up the dog. The Soviet's actually attempted this in WW2 against German tanks (unsuccessfully)but the idea started in WW1. The thinking being dogs are smaller targets and soldiers generally wouldn't shoot a friendly dog.

The main point is that in WW1 technology had moved to fast for tactics to evolve equally alongside. Case in point- continuous ruinous charges over the top that resulted in nothing but death. People ask why they kept doing it year after year but the reason was simple the tech had surpassed the old ways but the Generals wouldn't accept it. Hence the need for open box thinking even if most of it was ridiculous.
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

quazi

Post by quazi » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:23 am

The Twizzler wrote:I would say while most of WW1 was static the first few months were anything but .I think this period is what the game designers are focusing on.
Are you talking about The Battle of the Frontiers and the Race to the Sea? I still don't really grok the Battle of the Frontiers, a lot of stuff went down.

My understanding is that the fighting on the Eastern Front and in the Alps wasn't as static either, but my knowledge in those areas is pretty lacking.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:30 am

quazi wrote:
The Twizzler wrote:I would say while most of WW1 was static the first few months were anything but .I think this period is what the game designers are focusing on.
Are you talking about The Battle of the Frontiers and the Race to the Sea? I still don't really grok the Battle of the Frontiers, a lot of stuff went down.

My understanding is that the fighting on the Eastern Front and in the Alps wasn't as static either, but my knowledge in those areas is pretty lacking.
While it's certainly biased in perspective, Dan Carlin does a pretty good WWI breakdown in his Hardcore History podcast.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

quazi

Post by quazi » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:32 am

Hardcore History is probably my favorite podcast!

I've listened to the first three of the WW1 series. I need to finish the rest. I intended to just take a short break and listen to some happier stuff for a while, but then I just never got around to finishing them.

The Twizzler

Post by The Twizzler » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:26 pm

I also wonder if they feature the Italian campaign, it would be intersting. Hitler reportedly said he thought at least the Italians fought well. The reason is simple some of their main weapons were truly awful and they had to depend on spirit and grit.
1. The Glisenti 1910 9mm handgun. Originally based off a gun chambered for 32 acp the Italian government wanted a 9mm handgun. The designers just made the barrel and magazine hole bigger and to be clever made it so there was a catch on the back of the gun where you could pull off the side of the action(for easy cleaning and maintenance). So they took a 32 acp gun put a more powerful round in it and weakened the frame on purpose. This meant it had a tendency to explode in half when firing. They fixed it by making special rounds in 9mm Glisenti which had less powder and therefore were about as effective as.....32 acp :lol:
see the catch on the rear

2.Villar-Perosa M-15
A top fed double barrel machine gun. Originally designed for mountain troops eventually taken into general use. As I said it was double barreled and each barrel on top had a 25 round magazine. This would have been ok except that it fired at 1200 rpm and because of logistical reasons it was chambered in wait for it...... 9mm Glisenti :shock:. I guess the weirdest thing is it had a bipod up front and then straps on the back so the soldiers would walk forward basically with the gun at crotch level spraying under powered bullets for about 5 seconds.
3. I have been to Italy and where it is not mountainous it is full of hills. What the Italians really needed were light howitzers for artillery. Easy to move and aim and quick to do it again. What they had was the 1877 Field Gun. These were essentially siege cannons ( yea for fixed attacks on castles and forts). It weighed five tons and had no traverse mechanism. The gun would fire and then roll backwards up a set of those wood ramps you see on the wheels and then come to a stop eventually You would then roll it back down all the way down the ramps, aim, fire and start again. Oh and it was not suitable of high angle fire which is required for trench warfare.

Mbelasko12

Post by Mbelasko12 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:37 am

The Twizzler wrote:I also wonder if they feature the Italian campaign, it would be intersting. Hitler reportedly said he thought at least the Italians fought well. The reason is simple some of their main weapons were truly awful and they had to depend on spirit and grit.
1. The Glisenti 1910 9mm handgun. Originally based off a gun chambered for 32 acp the Italian government wanted a 9mm handgun. The designers just made the barrel and magazine hole bigger and to be clever made it so there was a catch on the back of the gun where you could pull off the side of the action(for easy cleaning and maintenance). So they took a 32 acp gun put a more powerful round in it and weakened the frame on purpose. This meant it had a tendency to explode in half when firing. They fixed it by making special rounds in 9mm Glisenti which had less powder and therefore were about as effective as.....32 acp :lol:
see the catch on the rear

2.Villar-Perosa M-15
A top fed double barrel machine gun. Originally designed for mountain troops eventually taken into general use. As I said it was double barreled and each barrel on top had a 25 round magazine. This would have been ok except that it fired at 1200 rpm and because of logistical reasons it was chambered in wait for it...... 9mm Glisenti :shock:. I guess the weirdest thing is it had a bipod up front and then straps on the back so the soldiers would walk forward basically with the gun at crotch level spraying under powered bullets for about 5 seconds.
3. I have been to Italy and where it is not mountainous it is full of hills. What the Italians really needed were light howitzers for artillery. Easy to move and aim and quick to do it again. What they had was the 1877 Field Gun. These were essentially siege cannons ( yea for fixed attacks on castles and forts). It weighed five tons and had no traverse mechanism. The gun would fire and then roll backwards up a set of those wood ramps you see on the wheels and then come to a stop eventually You would then roll it back down all the way down the ramps, aim, fire and start again. Oh and it was not suitable of high angle fire which is required for trench warfare.
Technically Villar-Perosa M-15 does end up in the game as the "Automatico M1918" which is a Beretta M1918 a modded Villar-Perosa. http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Beretta_M1918#Beretta_M1918

Apparently, the alpha got data mined and they found everything from: map names, loadouts, weapons for MP and SP, and single player names of levels/chapters.

https://www.reddit.com/r/battlefield_on ... _lobix300/
There are some seriously odd weapon choices here:
Weapons List:

Standsch
Beretta Model 1918.
Bergmann Schmeisser MP18.
Browing Auto 5.
Remington Model 10 Trench.
Winchester Model 1897 Trench.
Luger Rifle.
Remington Model 8.
Cei-Rigotti M1895.
Winchester M1907 SL.
Martini Henry.
Springfield M1903.
Lee Enfield MK III SMLE.
Mauser Gewehr 98.
Steyr-Mannlicher M1895.
Winchester M1895.
Browning Automatic Rifle
Madsen MG.
British Bulldog.
Frommer Stop.
FN Model 1903.
Colt Pocket Hamerless.
Mauser 1914.
Kolibri.
Borchardt C-93.
Mars Automatic Pistol.
Steyr M1912.
Baretta M1915.
Colt 1911.
Lancaster Pistol.
Luger P08.
Mauser C96.
Webley-Fosbery Audo Revolver.
Smith & Wesson Model 3.
Bodeo 1889.
Melee Weapons.
Grenades.
Mines.
Anti Tank Gun.
Dynamite.
Mortar.
Tripwire Bombs.
Field Kit Weapons.
Stationary Weapons.
Tanker.
Pilot.
Boat Weapons.
Behemoth Weapons
Cavalry Weapons.

MacWa77ace

Post by MacWa77ace » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:43 am

I gotta add BF1 to my subreddits. Missed that one. Thanks.

If you click here there are pictures of the real guns.
http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Battlefield:_1918

They're going to have an AirSuperiority mode. :clap:

:shock: Two new stats : HORSE KILLED and HORSE WOUNDED
The guys who are top ranked on the leaderboards for these stats should probably get a lot of flak.

The Twizzler

Post by The Twizzler » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:17 pm

The Mars Automatic - only 80 were produced and I don't think any actually served in the war. It was a terrible pistol. At the time it was the most powerful handgun round in the world. Too bad the action was powered by cranks and the empty shells spit directly at your face at a speed enough to take out an eye. If you were a lucky Italian instead of the Glisenti pistol you might have had the old Bodeo 1889. It reminds me of the Bisley framed Colts. It was a really good gun. The one gun I would most love to have from the list is the Mauser 1914 pistol it really is a beauty.
Mauser 1914
1889 Bodeo the trigger folds up into the frame for safe carry
The Mars

Technically Villar-Perosa M-15 does end up in the game as the "Automatico M1918" which is a Beretta M1918 a modded Villar-Perosa. http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Beretta_M1918#Beretta_M1918

Apparently, the alpha got data mined and they found everything from: map names, loadouts, weapons for MP and SP, and single player names of levels/chapters.

https://www.reddit.com/r/battlefield_on ... _lobix300/
There are some seriously odd weapon choices here:
Weapons List:

[/quote]

MacWa77ace

Post by MacWa77ace » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:13 am

So I've been playing some of the Open Beta.

MacWa77ace

Post by MacWa77ace » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:58 am

Two of my friends were testing out the game physics in the beta. GTMN and AltairRules.

This is the right way to do it.

Tobias05
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: "The Walking Dead" on AMC

Post by Tobias05 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:37 pm

awww man, just got my i7 and 1060 up and running just to see i missed the beta.

...sad face.

Return to “Zombie Survival/Combat Simulations”