Days Gone

Discussions about Zombie training simulators such as video games, RPGs, paintball or other related simulations.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Days Gone

Post by MacWa77ace » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:27 pm

OK, This is a preview of something scheduled to release 18 months from now [there's not an official release date], but the gameplay demo had me on the edge of my seat. I think its going to be a PS4 exclusive.

I prefer first person shooters but this trailer and gameplay demo with a Zombie theme has me thinking Ima buy it. I played Sony's 'The Order: 1886' and it's environment and world, while not open, was incredible with the detail. The shooting part was kind of easy though. And there wasn't a multiplayer component. I don't know if this has multiplayer yet.
Sony Entertainment wrote:Set in the beautiful, volcanic scarred high-desert of the Pacific Northwest, Days Gone is an open-world action-adventure game where you play as Deacon St. John, a Drifter and bounty hunter who would rather risk the dangers of the broken road than live in one of the "safe" wilderness encampments. The game takes place two years after a global pandemic has killed almost everyone, but transformed millions of others into what survivors call Freakers - mindless, feral creatures, more animal than human but very much alive and quickly evolving. In the demo you saw two types of Freaks - Newts, which were adolescents when infected, are opportunistic hunters, preferring to hit and run from the shadows; and a Horde. Made up of hundreds of individual Freakers, Hordes eat, move and attack together, almost as one. Some Hordes roam the highways at night, while others, like the one in the demo, have found a food source that keeps it in a single location. Skills learned in his prior life as an outlaw biker have given Deacon a slight edge in the seemingly never-ending fight to stay alive. But will it be enough?

woodsghost

Re: Days Gone

Post by woodsghost » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:00 pm

Interesting crowd dynamics. Interesting use of the environment.

I am so out of it with modern gaming.

Thanks for sharing!
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

norcalprep

Post by norcalprep » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:00 pm

Haha, I like how he used the oil filter suppressor (although it looks backwards?)

It definitely has a The Last of Us vibe, with World War Z (movie) movement of a horde

MacWa77ace

Post by MacWa77ace » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:04 pm

norcalprep wrote:Haha, I like how he used the oil filter suppressor (although it looks backwards?)

It definitely has a The Last of Us vibe, with World War Z (movie) movement of a horde
As soon as the 'open hood' button appeared I was thinking what unusual [not off the rack] item could he utilize, and before he pulled it I said Oil Can Silencer. There are 2 reasons why that couldn't be done in that scenario. 1. its used. 2. he'd need an oil can adapter. But it was very cool that the developers thought of that. [they usually go on the barrel using a NFA registered adaptor, so threaded side to barrel]

I couldn't figure out if he had an AR-15 and was firing semi-auto which would explain the slow rate of fire. Or if that was a full auto version and the rate of fire was wrong. At one point I think he was carrying ~540 rnds of 556.

Another interesting thing was that when he killed a member of the horde with his gun, the horde just enveloped them, and it only slowed the horde itself's pursuit down a bit. Then he kept using methods that would stop more at a time. But I wonder if it would be faster or more effective to just run than to turn around an shoot so slow the horde down. That movement was awesome.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:28 pm

MacWa77ace wrote: I couldn't figure out if he had an AR-15 and was firing semi-auto which would explain the slow rate of fire. Or if that was a full auto version and the rate of fire was wrong. At one point I think he was carrying ~540 rnds of 556.
...... But I wonder if it would be faster or more effective to just run than to turn around an shoot so slow the horde down. That movement was awesome.
Just looking at proportions, I figured it was an AR-10, but who knows.

I did figure it would have been WAY more efficient to run rather than fight. My guess is the video clip was designed to show off interactions with the environment, crowd dynamics, and fighting. It was a presentation, not a real sample of gameplay. Or so I suspect?
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

MacWa77ace

Post by MacWa77ace » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:29 pm

woodsghost wrote:
MacWa77ace wrote: I couldn't figure out if he had an AR-15 and was firing semi-auto which would explain the slow rate of fire. Or if that was a full auto version and the rate of fire was wrong. At one point I think he was carrying ~540 rnds of 556.
...... But I wonder if it would be faster or more effective to just run than to turn around an shoot so slow the horde down. That movement was awesome.
Just looking at proportions, I figured it was an AR-10, but who knows.

I did figure it would have been WAY more efficient to run rather than fight. My guess is the video clip was designed to show off interactions with the environment, crowd dynamics, and fighting. It was a presentation, not a real sample of gameplay. Or so I suspect?

Your absolutely right, they did said gameplay was real, but the player was a ringer and already new the map and the play was most likely a scripted segment to do exactly that. Played at E3 in front of a crowd. You can notice that his 3P camera position is perfect in the beginning when he enters that building, and then again when the wolf runs by the door.

OH yeah, now that you mention it, it could be a 762. But now I have a problem with him carrying 540 rounds of NATO 762. 540 / 20 = 27 mags. Not on my best day. :lol:

It's big, but the mag curve IMO not 762, maybe 6.5 or 50 cal though, I just assumed 556. No big deal, if its not a game where weapons are a major feature and they are using CADs of the actual weapons to do the 3Ds, then the scale is off in more than one direction and usually using them feels 'meh' compared to the games that spend a lot of time programming the nuances. But now that I think about it, the rate is almost exactly like one of the weapons in 'The Order: 1886'. So maybe they just used its physics.

You can see some 1886 gameplay I did below [NSFW Spoof] and maybe compare the ROF. At about 6:30 that imaginary gun has almost exactly the same ROF. Remember, both games developed by Sony may be sharing resources at this stage of development.

Maeklos
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead (the original), Resident Evil

Post by Maeklos » Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:21 am

My thought on his rifle was an H&K G3 or variant (which is 7.62x51). If I remember right, they use a delay action to slow down rate of fire so that full auto doesn't go completely uncontrollable.

The gameplay looks solid, though if that's how Hordes are in the game, it makes fighting them pointless. As soon as you draw the attention of a Horde, it'd be run, run, run baby run. Which isn't a bad thing - it'd force you to memorize the layout of places as you explore, and to always keep an eye out for alternate routes getting back to your transportation. You'd definitely have to be paying attention to your surroundings, which I like. Having what is effectively a big, red neon sign that says, "You lose, GET OUT NOW!" is great. It keeps end-game stuff from getting boring, since most games tend to let you become so powerful/supplied/etc that running into hordes of enemies becomes exercises in boredom rather than excitement. Most survival-type games reach that point eventually, though some - like State of Decay - manage to overcome it by making supplies (such as ammunition) always scarce.
Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

"If the Russian flag were accurate, it would depict half a cabbage, a bottle of vodka, and a cold man dying for the Motherland."

MacWa77ace

Post by MacWa77ace » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:30 pm

Tentative release date is JUNE. Preorders taken now.

fatty21

Post by fatty21 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:16 am

And here I thought i was gonna have a nice 3rd shift....

MacWa77ace

Post by MacWa77ace » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:12 pm

Now the release has been backed up to sometime in 2019. Some reporting late 2019.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/03/09/ ... ed-to-2019

Return to “Zombie Survival/Combat Simulations”