Fallout Shelter - iOS

Discussions about Zombie training simulators such as video games, RPGs, paintball or other related simulations.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

dohnuts

Re: Fallout Shelter - iOS

Post by dohnuts » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:25 pm

quazi wrote:Do traders ever stop by?
Nope. Far as I can tell, the only folks that show up are new vault dwellers (early on, I think the game spawns a few, until you are large enough to build a radio room), and any uncommon/rare vault dwellers that you pull from lunchboxes. And, of course, the raiders, which just cause problems and don't drop their weapons. It might be hard to update for a marketplace because they'd have to re-do the interface a little bit, even if it's just adding a selection to the pipboy selector. The online "live" marketplace implemented in other games makes them somewhat contentious with players, and from what I've experienced and read, it requires frequent updates to mold to user expectations. I don't know how much effort BGS wants to put into this game, considering it's a marketing tool for Fallout 4, which just happened to become a nice revenue source on its own.

Other things I've noticed: Vault Dwellers who show up (either on their own accord or by the radio room) seem to all have a SPECIAL total of 12. The uncommon(?) vault dwellers that show up from lunchboxes have a SPECIAL total of 28, and usually have an outfit and/or weapon. The Rare (named) vault dwellers that show up have a SPECIAL total of 40, and usually have some kind of uncommon or rare outfit and a weapon, even it it doesn't always make sense with their actual game character.

Not sure what happens if you pair two vault dwellers with perfect SPECIAL scores of 70 to make a baby, as of yet. I don't have the room for babies at the moment and don't want to banish anyone to the waste just yet.

bltjr1951

Post by bltjr1951 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:09 am

dohnuts wrote:I still play this daily, but the frequent crashes are incredibly annoying. I'm talking a crash every few minutes annoying.
I get dropped back to iphone menu, just rehit app icon and continue playing. Haven't noticed too much loss of game. But I'm playing three games anyway.

I do have some dwellers walking/flying upwards from their level sometimes. Kinda annoying.
NAHC NAFC REI NRA GOODSAM SFBC MBC WWII
Fenris wrote:God-speed on all your innovative new ideas, lolz.
-fenris-
Veritas wrote:My bad, I obviously over-reacted. You are allowed to disagree without me being a douchebag.

bltjr1951

Post by bltjr1951 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:16 am

Nope. But you can sell weapons and outfits for 10 cash each.

Had to sell a bunch of stuff to bring dwellers back to life.
-fenris-
Veritas wrote:My bad, I obviously over-reacted. You are allowed to disagree without me being a douchebag.

KnifeStyle

Post by KnifeStyle » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:58 am

There will be an update next month with Mr. Handy as a 'premium award', meaning you get him from lunch boxes. Not sure if that means paid of free lunch boxes. But they also said they're adding new enemy invasions including a Deathclaw that raids your vault.
jamoni wrote:Zombie Squad, the things you have experience with scare me.

bltjr1951

Post by bltjr1951 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:51 pm

KnifeStyle wrote:But they also said they're adding new enemy invasions including a Deathclaw that raids your vault.
Dang, I had hard time killing deathclaws on PC and Xbox 360.
But on one game I did get a enhanced missile launcher out of a lunchbox.
-fenris-

dohnuts

Post by dohnuts » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:11 am

bltjr1951 wrote:
Nope. But you can sell weapons and outfits for 10 cash each.

Had to sell a bunch of stuff to bring dwellers back to life.
Some of the buffed weapons sell fo 100, the best I've seen so far.

Deathclaw seems interesting. Have to make sure the defenders get really good weapons. Right now I have groups of four raiders with laser and plasma weapons and I'm managing okay.

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:24 pm

Hey you know what sucks? Death claws! What the fuck! I loaded up the ap for the first time in a couple of weeks and was clicking away at the resources when I see three little pound puppies come bang at the door. My 2 guards always crush the raiders, so I was shocked to see the claws nearly kill both of them and then tear ass through the bunker before I could arm people fast enough. 10 dead dwellers and the last fucker made it to the third level! AUGH! I revive everyone, burn all my coin in doing so and within 3 minutes another set of them show up! I turned it off. Everyone died again. Me no likey
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

dohnuts

Post by dohnuts » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:17 pm

TheLastOne wrote:Hey you know what sucks? Death claws! What the fuck! I loaded up the ap for the first time in a couple of weeks and was clicking away at the resources when I see three little pound puppies come bang at the door. My 2 guards always crush the raiders, so I was shocked to see the claws nearly kill both of them and then tear ass through the bunker before I could arm people fast enough. 10 dead dwellers and the last fucker made it to the third level! AUGH! I revive everyone, burn all my coin in doing so and within 3 minutes another set of them show up! I turned it off. Everyone died again. Me no likey
QFT. I figured "how bad could they really be?" My first occupied room is the reactor (after the door, and the quarters I can't replace), which has six pretty strong characters with high SPECIAL (a few perfects) and all with really good weapons. Killed two characters in that room, moved down to the diner on the second floor, also strong characters, killed another one and mauled the rest. Finally killed the last one on the third floor. I think four dead dwellers in all, and these are rooms that shred raiders, no problem. The mole rat incident is only slightly more difficult than the rad roaches.

I picked up a few Mr. Handys, not quite sure how much benefit they are to me. Still grinding on collecting all the weapons/outfits/rare dwellers but I'm doing well overall. I can only imagine that there will be a few more updates before Fallout 4 launches, so I'm looking forward to that.

quazi

Post by quazi » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:39 am

I downloaded it the first day it became available on Android, but I haven't really got into it.

dohnuts

Post by dohnuts » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:29 pm

Something fun I've learned: max caps seems to be 999,999.

Here's a page with a neat infographic on some stats from the game: http://www.polygon.com/2015/8/19/917827 ... lter-stats

dohnuts

Post by dohnuts » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:47 pm

So far when two folks with all 10 in SPECIAL have a kid, sometime they are above average.

Not much else to tinker with in the game, just trying to get all the items.

Neville

Post by Neville » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:42 pm

I've been playing this game since it came out for Android.

Very addictive - I enjoy sim type games and this is a good one.

I never had luck with mating high-level people and getting exceptional offspring but I don't think I ever tried two all-tens, got too many other things for them to be doing. Might give it a try though.

I've been at it for weeks - I'm approaching 200 dwellers and currently have I believe ten in the wasteland scrounging. This is the only way to get weapons.

The attacks on the vault become progressively more aggressive over time. Consequently you're going to need better weapons and more personnel - plus more resilient personnel - to defend the entrance.

Incidents (radroaches, fires, molerats) will spread to other rooms if not dealt with aggressively.

Disappointed that none of the new arrivals bring anything with them, like "dude, you've been out here how long and you show up with empty hands?" Makes me think they stashed it all somewhere in case they decide to run for it if the Vault thing doesn't work out.

I figured out one thing. Your people get experience points by producing, by fighting off an attack or fire, and by exploring in the wilderness. Accumulating experience points increases the character's "level" up to a maximum of Level 50. The level basically determines that character's total capacity for health points. Their "Endurance" rating (in the SPECIAL) controls how quickly or slowly they lose health points during an attack. Oh, also radiation points limit their total HP capacity - clear up the radiation with Rad Packs to regain lost health capacity. So a character with high Level but low endurance can have their health drained as quickly as a character with high endurance but low Level.

If a production room is full of characters that have a high SPECIAL for that room, and a high LUCK special, then your odds of creating an incident during a rush are extremely low - like zero percent in some cases.

Every SPECIAL talent is used in the wilderness. The longer people are out, the more goodies they collect - and after about a full day they can start to find some really neat stuff... the value of the goods they find increases the longer they are out. Special points above 10 (such as granted by an outfit) DO make a difference in the wild.

Right now all my explorers are solid tens, and nearly all of them are Level 50's. Starting to find some neat stuff after sending lesser specimens out and only coming back with common junk. Right now, I'm not even keeping any weapons that aren't at least a 5 in damage points. Worthless junk to me at this point, the radroaches etc (especially the Deathclaws) are just too tough for the handguns to even make a difference.

My philosophy has evolved a bit over the course of playing the game. Right now, I get "fresh meat" and I immediately figure out what they're good for, then send them to train to the max in that capacity. Then put them to work. As I have opportunity, I send them for luck training as well (helps if you need to rush), also endurance (this helps them resist attacks). I let them keep producing until they get up to the high 30's/ low 40's and then I either train them heavily (to be a wilderness explorer) or I just send them to the Nuka-Cola plant on the top floor, which is full of fairly experienced characters that can still produce resources while being in position to defend against Vault invasions. When these top out at 50 experience points, I send them on a last round of training to max out their specials - then they get armed to the teeth with the best weaponry I can spare and sent out. Neat thing is, if they come across outfits or arms that are better than what you sent them out with in the first place, they will pick it up and put it on! So they frequently come back outfitted better than you sent them out.

Great game, having a lot of fun with this. Sure is a lot of work keeping up with nearly 200 of the little snipes though! I find myself developing a "relationship" with a lot of the characters - favoring some, neglecting others. I've changed a few names - that makes for a more personal bond. Weird, ja? But after you've spent weeks with these little characters helping them develop it does take on a kind of personal aspect the way a kid will give a doll or an action figure or a teddy bear a personality. Just as long as they don't turn all "Gulliver's Travels" on me, hey I gotta sleep sometime right?

I don't buy the "bonus" lunchboxes - that's a cheat imho - but I do purchase a Mr. Handy for each floor of the vault once I begin production there. With over 17 levels if you don't have some automation to assist with incidents and harvest resources you're going to go click-crazy in short order. Besides, the folks at Bethesda do deserve to make a little money for such a fantastic little game that they give away free to play. I'd like to see a mod for the game where you can maybe find other resources in the wild, such as a destroyed Mr. Handy that you can drag back to the vault and repair. This would be great for vehicles too... allow dwellers to travel further, faster. Find a repairable car, call other dwellers out to retrieve it, repair it in the vault machine shop. Then put it into service.

I wonder if there is provision for any kind of commerce between vaults? That could end up being cool. Sometimes the goods or payment would end up being intercepted by raiders. Hey, it's a risky world out there, right? Odds of interception go down when the convoy is well armed and high luck. Just some ideas, Bethesda... you're welcome!

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Post by Beowolf » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:33 pm

Oh, goodness, this is trouble. I played Doomsday Preppers way too much, and this is just that.

Eek.

I hate you people. :D
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

dohnuts

Post by dohnuts » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:12 am

Yeah, I wonder if Bethesda will provide any kind of inter-Vault commerce. I doubt it given it would be a pretty fundamental change, but they have to see that a lot of players have or will "max out" and be for want of things to do. I'm just trying to collect all the items so I'm playing with much less regularity now, just one check in a day to keep the bonus going.

dohnuts

Post by dohnuts » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:10 am

The 1.2.0 update pushed out a couple of days ago (live for me yesterday). Each app user (iOS only, from what I hear) gets a one time new dweller and five lunchboxes! I have two vaults, one I've played since the beginning and another one I started later; a bit by accident I gave the bonus to my second vault, but honestly they needed it more.

There are other changes as well, including being able to pick up gear and caps from raiders. So far, I've gotten only common gear and caps. There's also a limit on dwellers in the wasteland and they are also limited on the number of items they can carry, so this means more management of those excursions.

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Post by Beowolf » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:44 pm

Very glad for the gear pickup. I didn't get lunchboxes, though...
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

Neville

Post by Neville » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:52 pm

Ok, bored now.

After hitting 200 dwellers there doesn't seem to be much point in furthering the game.

There don't seem to be any fantastic new items to find out in the wilderness. You can have 30 or 50 dwellers out there at a time... doesn't seem to make a difference.

I had about 50 dwellers out searching at a time. They say the longer they're out, the better stuff they find... however, what they don't tell you is that there's a point of diminishing returns. It's tough to get anyone out there to last much more than 3 days. I don't think I've ever had one make it to 4 without re-invigorating them. I thought, that was the point of re-invigorating them, to keep pushing them further and further... nope. I have had them out a week by constantly reviving them. Didn't find bigger/better stuff than they were finding at 3 days when they topped out. BTW these are all dwellers with 10 across the board in every category.

So... yawn... bored now. It's a game I would have actually paid money for IF they had bothered to build the second half of it.

Neville

Post by Neville » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:47 pm

Ok, update. I wandered off from the game a while and recently had the whim to look in on it again after months away.

I did find that a few of my guys in the wilderness did manage to keep going. Two of them over 100 days and one of them over 300 days. However, the gear they have collected never seems to change. I suspect there is a bug of some kind or a limit on how much booty they can scoop up before maxing out. They would probably keep going forever at this point. That one guy is going to be five months coming back in, and what he has collected is OK but I definitely would not say it's worth waiting five months for, let alone the near 15-month round trip... I'm bringing him back in, anyway, just to say it's been done.

Right now I'm working on fine tuning my two shelters. They seem to be humming along like a well-oiled machine, everyone armed with good weapons, working on maxing out experience and SPECIAL levels on everyone. Getting the rooms optimized, and seeing if there still happens to be any random weirdness like maybe someone out there will discover a left-over a-bomb and drag it back. There probably isn't any "easter egg" for getting all your stats maxed out but we'll see.

Neville

Post by Neville » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:17 pm

I just discovered that there are updates for the game that do not automatically download and install.

It was necessary to go into the Google App Store, and find the "Fallout Shelter" offereing there. "Upgrade" is listed as an option. I was a little concerned that this might wipe out my current vaults but it didn't... nothing in the vaults was changed.

The upgrade contains:
New category of item - Junk (assorted items that can be used for crafting weapons or outfits)
New category of dweller accessory - Pets (add to dweller stats in various fashions)
New room types -
Overseer Office (assign Quests in the wasteland where you can find weapons, caps, outfits and junk)
Barbershop (customize dweller appearance)
Weapon Plant (build new weapons from junk using blueprints)
Outfit Plant (create new outfits from junk using blueprints)

Quests can be assigned to individuals or teams. This takes you out into the wasteland to new destinations. This is a huge boost for the game's interest level.

Explorers in the Wasteland can encounter locations of interest, sort of a spontaneous "quest" where you can find weapons, junk etc.

Well, this is certainly going to hold my interest a little longer now, thanks to the upgrade. Thanks Bethesda!
It's a game I would have actually paid money for IF they had bothered to build the second half of it.
After playing this for a few days I'm satisfied that they have actually built the second half of it! This is going to hold my interest a while.

Return to “Zombie Survival/Combat Simulations”