Fallout Shelter - iOS

Discussions about Zombie training simulators such as video games, RPGs, paintball or other related simulations.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

zero11010

Fallout Shelter - iOS

Post by zero11010 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:01 pm

This is a free game developed and published by Bethesda (same folks who make the AAA Fallout series). Basically, it's a dollhouse game, and if you're familiar with something like Tiny Tower you'll be right at home. Right now the game is iOS only. Bethesda did a very good job with this game!

The plot is that the player is the Vault Overseer. You let in dwellers, and you build your vault. You will need to keep track of resources (there are three), and each dweller has attributes (7 just like in the Fallout series) and each of these makes a dweller better/worse at specific game jobs. The game includes gear that provides stat bonuses, and weapons for in game combat.

The game is very well made! But, it's clear that the guys who made this did it from a perspective of people who are more in tune with epic RPGs than phone games. The game's footprint is small at 200MB. The audio in the game is fantastic (well above par), and the graphics are wonderful. The controls are solid, though there are occasionally some issues with the touch controls (the game is still a new release, and I'm confident that there will be patches).

Some tips:
* You'll want to build your starter resource buildings three wide (ie: three level 1 food buildings in a horizontal row). The buildings have to be the same level for them to merge.
* Don't worry about getting more storage until you're running out of space. Clothing and weapons worn by people don't count as gear stored. This means the game starts you with 10 storage space, and you can have 11 items just fine, so long as 1 or more items are being worn by someone (you'll always want clothing being worn, there are tactics that can make unequipped weapons useful).
* Babies won't be born until you have enough space for another person. So, if your vault is full, pregnant women will remain pregnant indefinitely. It takes a few hours of real time for a baby to be born. It takes another few hours of real time for that baby to grow up. The whole time the baby is a child it will not perform a function and it won't participate in any emergencies (raiders, fires, infestations). I haven't spent enough time with the game to know if babies are impacted by the stats of their parents (I would hope so, but I don't know).
* Keep the resources in a happy place, and pay special attention to power. If your power gets out of whack it can be challenging getting your resources in line. Basically, if your power goes down other buildings stop working. That can cause deficiencies in your other resources. I don't know if the power going out for a moment will reset timers in that room.
* Keep about 10% of your population scavenging. This is where you'll get gear and weapons (outside of lunchboxes). When you send a person out, they stay out until you tell them to come back. If you tell someone to come back 3 real time hours after they leave, it may take them another 1 or 2 real time hours for them to get back. They will continue to scavenge on the way back and it's possible for them to die. General rule of thumb equip a person with your best weapon and some clothes, send them out and once they have collected a couple of items call them back (as the characters gain levels you can let them stay out longer and collect more items).
* Pay attention to your pipboy quests. Make sure that accomplishing those is a priority. The rewards are very helpful, especially in the first few hours of gameplay.
* Lunchbox rewards are badass. The more fanfare that occurs as each card flips over the rarer the result.

Israel
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, Resident Evil, 28 Days Later, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, Special Dead, Cockneys vs. Zombies

Re: Fallout Shelter - iOS

Post by Israel » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:50 pm

It's not a very complex game, but it's fun
Griff wrote:Their are two kinds of people in the world; Those who have a plan prepared for when the zombies take over the Earth, and those who don't. We call those people "Dinner"
I got eaten alive by chiggers at Z-Con 2011

LifeStraw Review
Chinese Wonder Shovel Review

zero11010

Post by zero11010 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:01 pm

Israel wrote:It's not a very complex game, but it's fun
Very true. If it was overly complex it wouldn't reach broad market appeal. Considering this game is essentially an advertisement for Fallout 4, making it overly complex would be a poor idea. They want as many people as possible to pick it up for free, be able to play it and have fun instantly, and hopefully make them curious about Fallout 4.

It's more complex than most other games in this genre and on this platform. And, the ability to play with three save games simultaneously allows for a lot of continued gametime for people. In this way, I think they do a pretty good job of making a game that works for people who have a few moments to play game every few hours (typical player) and someone who wants to sit down and play a game for an hour.

There aren't many games that are free and higher quality than this.

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:07 am

I think it's fun enough that I may have to delete it just because of the amount of time I'm spending on it :lol:
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:08 am

I've been playing it since it came out. I've got about 120 or so dwellers and about 12 levels deep. What I like about this is that you DO NOT have to pay to play. Of course there are in app perchases but you do not need to. I did pay 9.99 for some of the lunch boxes because I'm a fan boy and damn it I can.

It's fun you can pick it up and tap for 2-3 minutes or 20-30...

I still want Fallout4 like yesterday. But this'll do
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

williaty

Post by williaty » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:00 pm

1) Yes, Bethesda have confirmed that the stats of the child come from the stats of the parents and I've proved that by accidentally not breeding in enough biodiversity :lol:

2) Between birth and adulthood children consume significant resources but don't help produce any. Population booms are a great way to accidentally starve the hive.

3) Explorers DO NOT take damage, take rads, or get new loot once you've recalled them. So let them explore until they're almost dead, then recall them and they'll be safe all the way back.

4) Explorers take half as long to come home as they've been out. Let someone explore for 4 hours and it'll take them 2 hours to show up back at the vault door.

5) The longer you leave the explorer in the Wasteland, the better drops they get. You get substantially better weapons and armor if the explorer stays out 24+ hours vs just an hour or two.

6) The quality of the drops the explorer gets are determined by their Luck stat. It's worth building the game room to increase the luck of your explorers.

7) The stable equilibrium for resource production is close to maximum capacity for the vault. In other words, you want to have every room with the max number of people assigned to it and only have your population 1-4 people under the cap in order to maximize resource production while minimizing resource consumption.

Hillbilly Joker

Post by Hillbilly Joker » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:43 pm

Waiting for release on android

quazi

Post by quazi » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:13 pm

Hillbilly Joker wrote:Waiting for release on android
Me too. It sounds like it's going to be a while though.

zero11010

Post by zero11010 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:15 pm

Android releases are more complex. There is a lot more hardware diversity to work with.

I think they did say that one was going to be coming out. Though, likely after Fallout 4 releases. So, the android port team will likely be a different group (as a marketing tool releasing after the product it is designed to attract attention to, there will be less need to put as much effort into it)

quazi

Post by quazi » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:06 pm

Yeah, I like and use Android phones but trying to support them can be frustrating to say the least.

I heard that it was coming to Android in "a few months" which covers a very wide period of time.

I'd like to play Fallout Shelter, but I understand that Bethesda has more important things to focus on right now.

zero11010

Post by zero11010 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:01 pm

Better android app support than windows phone app support!

To be fair: windows 10 is supposed to improve that by a lot, but I'll believe it when I see it. A current game being made will likely need to support 3 different iPhone screen sizes and about 3 different processor speeds. I don't know what the numbers are for an android comparison, but there are a ton. And to do this for windows phones seems a bit complex. I heard that the goal was for any app made to function for the windows PC platform, and a window tablet platform and the windows phone platform across the board. It's a nice goal, but development for each of those three platforms would be independent unless the platform OS is really working some magic to deal with screen resolution, screen size, and processing power on its own. I guess that just because it hasn't been done it doesn't mean it can't be done. I haven't had a chance to see any development info from microsoft about windows 10 to see what is really going on. In its own way, cross platform development for mobile devices is more complex than it is for more standard console gaming.

quazi

Post by quazi » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:02 pm

We have all sorts of people coming in to get help with their phones (mostly looking to get on to the University WiFi or get help configuring their email). I have never seen a person bring in a Windows phone for troubleshooting. I've heard that Microsoft actually makes a decent phone OS, but I guess they were just too late to the market.

On-topic: Is there any sort of story with this game, or is it entirely a sim-type game where you just keep surviving and expanding until you get bored with it? Do the threats increase as your Vault grows?

williaty

Post by williaty » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:24 pm

quazi wrote:We have all sorts of people coming in to get help with their phones (mostly looking to get on to the University WiFi or get help configuring their email). I have never seen a person bring in a Windows phone for troubleshooting. I've heard that Microsoft actually makes a decent phone OS, but I guess they were just too late to the market.

On-topic: Is there any sort of story with this game, or is it entirely a sim-type game where you just keep surviving and expanding until you get bored with it? Do the threats increase as your Vault grows?
It's just a version of Sim Tower. It's a little tricky up to about 30 dwellers but from there to 200, it's just a grind.

dohnuts

Post by dohnuts » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:39 pm

Yup, I like this game quite a bit. Reached the 200 cap awhile back so I've been sending newcomers on one way way trips to the wasteland to have extra room in case I draw a lunchbox. Makes me kind of sad each time....

I think new vault dwellers only have a max Special total of 12 unless they come in a lunchbox? I want to say that early on I had different folks show up with more than 12 special but can't remember. Certainly not recently.

Slugg
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Book of Eli
The Colony(TV Series)
I am Legend
28 series
Resident Evil series
Dawn of the Dead
The Walking Dead

Post by Slugg » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:28 am

I started this game but havn't really played too much. I had around 12 dwellers and most of my rooms had no lights on yet my power meter was over half. What am I missing? Food and water were both good and not empty.
The future is for those who prepare.

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:06 am

Slugg wrote:I started this game but havn't really played too much. I had around 12 dwellers and most of my rooms had no lights on yet my power meter was over half. What am I missing? Food and water were both good and not empty.

Your resources must exceed the vertical line indicating the minimum you need of each to survive. Power bar =====]==== will look something like that. The more properly staffed power stations you have will determine what your output is, and it will slide that 'required usage' vertical bar depending. So, if you have more properly staffed power stations compared to other rooms sucking up power, it will show something like Power bar ==]======= to show that you are more efficient, and that your current set up only requires a smaller output.

If you have rooms with lights off, you don't have enough power and those rooms will not produce resources.
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

bltjr1951

Post by bltjr1951 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:21 am

I lost two vaults to radroaches and one to raiders.

Have two or three vaults going at same time.

One vault has 5 dwellers left after roach attack, hard to keep going afterwards.
NAHC NAFC REI NRA GOODSAM SFBC MBC WWII
Fenris wrote:God-speed on all your innovative new ideas, lolz.
-fenris-
Veritas wrote:My bad, I obviously over-reacted. You are allowed to disagree without me being a douchebag.

dohnuts

Post by dohnuts » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:38 am

I still play this daily, but the frequent crashes are incredibly annoying. I'm talking a crash every few minutes annoying.

Tobias05
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: "The Walking Dead" on AMC

Post by Tobias05 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:43 pm

Russell the rabbit and his silk pajamas have been impregnating all my young female workers.

If a son is born, and when finally of age, I throw him to the wastelands without weapon or outfit for his own personal agoge.

Usually ends in a short trip...

quazi

Post by quazi » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:10 pm

Android version release date announced to be 8/13. That's sooner than I expected.

KnifeStyle

Post by KnifeStyle » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:18 pm

My friend talked me into it, I'm a non-gamer usually but it was a lot of fun unlocking the rooms and learning the game. Now I'm at 180 guys in a booming vault, I'm just keeping it going with thirty guys looking for new weapons and armor. May start another vault because it was more fun early on.
jamoni wrote:Zombie Squad, the things you have experience with scare me.

bltjr1951

Post by bltjr1951 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:30 pm

It would be really cool if you got to keep raiders' gear after killing them. Some have neat weapons.
Also wish you could buy gear.
Had several dwellers out for almost a day and they always find same old junk. Radio is calling 24/7.
Get cool weapons from lunchboxes which are few.
They list neat stuff and people, yet I can't seem to find them. Must be lunchbox only rewards.
NAHC NAFC REI NRA GOODSAM SFBC MBC WWII
Fenris wrote:God-speed on all your innovative new ideas, lolz.
-fenris-
Veritas wrote:My bad, I obviously over-reacted. You are allowed to disagree without me being a douchebag.

dohnuts

Post by dohnuts » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:06 pm

bltjr1951 wrote:It would be really cool if you got to keep raiders' gear after killing them. Some have neat weapons.
Also wish you could buy gear.
Had several dwellers out for almost a day and they always find same old junk. Radio is calling 24/7.
Get cool weapons from lunchboxes which are few.
They list neat stuff and people, yet I can't seem to find them. Must be lunchbox only rewards.
Yeah, those would all be welcome updates. I think it's unlikely they will install a market but you never know.

quazi

Post by quazi » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:43 am

Do traders ever stop by?

Return to “Zombie Survival/Combat Simulations”