So as I was playing The Last Of Us...

Discussions about Zombie training simulators such as video games, RPGs, paintball or other related simulations.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Leif3141
Favorite Zombie Movies: I like fast zombies! I like the infected!

So as I was playing The Last Of Us...

Post by Leif3141 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:46 am

And I got to thinking, the primary aspect of combat is mostly stealth in this game and silent kills, for those who haven't played (although prob everyone on this forum category has, and I'm replaying it which is why I am posting this). I like this game just for that sake alone since I'm unaware of any other zombie game similar. What I was really thinking is - how realistic do you think the stealth aspect of this game is? I mean most of the time its strangling/shiv/bow and arrow, but I can see many probs with these in a real situation. Strangling doesn't seem very quiet, even in the game, but of course AI doesn't seem to notice most of the time. Also no one ever breaks free of the choke. As far as shiving goes, I don't understand why developers choose to not be able to attack from the front/Joel doesn't carry a knife like Ellie does. And for an arrow to work as good as it does in the game...I think you'd have to have perfect aim with it.

I realize its probably just nitpicky but since the game is trying to be very realistic, just wondering if you guys think could be done in a second version of this or a different game to make it more realistic?

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Re: So as I was playing The Last Of Us...

Post by majorhavoc » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:51 am

There was a dedicated TLoU thread, but it died a slow death when the initial excitement for this title wore off.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=95288

"Realism" in video game combat mechanics is always a relative term. You hit the nail on the head however by saying TLoU is sort of vulnerable to nitpicking because it so obviously tries to be more realistic than most games.

However, there are limits to how true to life you can make the combat mechanics and still have a video game that people will actually be willing to buy and play. Someone conceivably could make a video game title with more realistic combat mechanics, but that game wouldn't have all the other things that make TLoU so special, like sky high production values, top notch voice acting, sound design and writing. All those things cost money and no developer is going to invest those resources and then limit sales with ultra realistic (read: difficult) gameplay that only a few hard core gamers would being willing to put up with.

Just my opinion, but to take realism to the next level, you really need set down the game controller and look at something like paintball or airsoft.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:23 am

A super real combat game would suck. 20 minutes... dead... GAME OVER!!!!

Anyways, I think stealth would be useful if the game became real life. Basically my argument would be the same as pushing for the "gray man" tactics.

As Col. Cooper says, "If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck"
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:45 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:A super real combat game would suck. 20 minutes... dead... GAME OVER!!!!

Anyways, I think stealth would be useful if the game became real life. Basically my argument would be the same as pushing for the "gray man" tactics.

As Col. Cooper says, "If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck"
DayZ had a median player lifespan under 20 minutes early on. Health regenerates in a matter of hours at best, days at worst, and health/hunger/hydration/blood loss are separate factors that influence each other. Broken bones, food poisoning, and infections all require different treatments, as does extreme pain. The combat mechanics are fairly simplified, although the guns use ARMA's engine, but melee combat if vaguely-location based push-butan-to-flail-wildly.

Realistic combat is nerve-racking, as nothing stops someone from just posting up somewhere, and you can easily come through a doorway to find another person, equally hungry and terrified, and you have a half a second to try to decide whether to just go for the kill, or try to mutually assure each other that you're not going to kill them as soon as they turn around. The best option remains to travel quietly and in numbers.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Return to “Zombie Survival/Combat Simulations”