It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Star Wars Battlefront
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:42 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

The link I tried to paste from my phone was a mile long, but Google should take you to the good stuff.

New trailer is out, showing speeder bikes, at at's, vader, milenium falcon, x wings, tie fighters, and boba fett (yesssss)

Graphics look clean and from what I gather there is a campaign and multiplayer.

Comes out November 17 and it looks like I'll actually have a game to buy for the ps 4!
(Seriously haven't bought anything other than the games that came in the bundle and I've had it since sept. Waiting on the division)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:57 pm 

I'll look into it, but the first two games were insultingly bad.

It still makes me angry to think about how many tens of millions of dollars they spent marketing the first Battlefront and how they let Republic Commando (released the same year, and designed by an internal team instead of farmed outside the company) go with no fanfare. Battlefront 1 and 2 were garbage. They had a real chance for a franchise with Republic Commando and they dropped the ball (the new president of the company at the time, Jim Ward, didn't know anything about games and assumed that anything being made internally would fail, so he put all the marketing power behind other projects). Such a disappointment.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:05 pm 

This game does look good.

Here is some more stuff too Star Wars Battlefront Forum

Last edited by Robbie on Sun May 17, 2015 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:27 pm 

zero11010 wrote:

It still makes me angry to think about how many tens of millions of dollars they spent marketing the first Battlefront and how they let Republic Commando (released the same year, and designed by an internal team instead of farmed outside the company) go with no fanfare. Battlefront 1 and 2 were garbage. They had a real chance for a franchise with Republic Commando and they dropped the ball (the new president of the company at the time, Jim Ward, didn't know anything about games and assumed that anything being made internally would fail, so he put all the marketing power behind other projects). Such a disappointment.

Those old games did suck, but KOTR was made by Bioware (Mass Effect, Dragon Age) and was good, proving a game in that universe can be done well. Plus this one is being done by DICE who makes the Battlefield series so I think this game is going to be sick and I don't even like Star Wars.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/star-w ... 0-6426846/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:12 pm 

At the time of the original game LucasArts was reskinning several games a year and releasing roughly 11 games annually.

If I recall correctly Battlefront was made by the Battlefield 1942 team right about at the height of the 1942 popularity.

KOTOR was made by Bioware and was a reskin of the Bauldur's Gate and Icewind Dale games. The puzzles from KOTOR were reused from the other Bioware titles.

It was the same story with Battlegrounds in the RTS market. I won't get into how similar Battlegrounds was to the game it was mirrored from.

In each of these cases the original team basically reskinned the original game. The end Star Wars product included all of the big problems the original game had, except it introduced a lot of new problems, too. Often when the original company is tapped to produce a similar title the majority of the team (often an A team) is moved to other projects and only a few people stay behind to work on the newer title. These games can take 2-5 years to make, and working on what is essentially the same game for 4-10 years can suck and it leaves team members very burned out.

Something the new Battlefront has going for it over the originals is that 10-15 years ago multiplayer on consoles isn't what it is today. Figures at the time showed that only 10% of players were playing console games online. Console multiplayer today is much more closely aligned where PC multiplayer was 10 years ago, except console games are still the common gamer's platform. In order for a game like this to really feel epic they need to have a lot of players involved and/or a lot of AI involved. The previous titles were pushing the system's limits and were unable to push enough action on screen (vehicles were pretty much a joke, especially anything that flew - basically being trapped in a small bubble of playable space). Technology may have caught up to where they can get decent sized battles going as long as they don't ruin system resources with textures, model poly counts, and high budget visual effects.

In the article you're showing Jesper Nielsen is being disingenuous (though, he's saying exactly what he should be saying, because that's what gamers want to hear). The games will be as similar as possible, while looking different. Changes cost money, and things that cost money are bad. The goal in game development is to get the most use out of each of the tools the team has available. You reuse each one as much as possible and do everything you can to avoid having to make a new tool, or fork out money to pay to use tools from other developers. If they wanted this game to be 100% original, they wouldn't make a big deal about the ties this game shares with another game.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:23 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Anyone playing the beta?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:11 pm 

zero11010 wrote:

Republic Commando was one of my favorite games years ago. It still is one of my favorite SW games due to the dark turn it takes from the normal jedi and stuff. I wish they had funded the sequal because the game deserved a lot more than it got.

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.