7 Days to die; the zombie horde survival game

Discussions about Zombie training simulators such as video games, RPGs, paintball or other related simulations.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

EndeavourOfWill

Post by EndeavourOfWill » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:11 pm

I was looking for some new games on Steam when I came across this one and was wondering if anyone played it.

Building on survivalist and horror themes, players in 7 Days to Die can scavenge the abandoned cities of the buildable and destructable voxel world for supplies or explore the wilderness to gather raw materials to build their own tools, weapons, traps, fortifications and shelters.
Blessed is the mind too small for doubt

Black Sheep
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days, Tetsuo, Redneck Zombies, Braindead, Dawn remake, Return of the Living Dead, Evil Dead, Matango, The Quick and the Undead, The Last Man on Earth, Wild Zero!

Re: 7 Days to die; the zombie horde survival game

Post by Black Sheep » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:57 am

Can anyone help me decide between Rust, DayZ and 7 Days to Die?
Fear? I know not fear. There are only moments of confusion. Some of them are deeply stamped on my memory and a few will haunt me forever. Hunter S. Thompson

Eschew the monumental. Shun the Epic. All the guys who can paint great big pictures can paint great small ones. Ernest Hemingway

Black Sheep
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days, Tetsuo, Redneck Zombies, Braindead, Dawn remake, Return of the Living Dead, Evil Dead, Matango, The Quick and the Undead, The Last Man on Earth, Wild Zero!

Post by Black Sheep » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:01 am

Update. They have taken the zombies out of Rust.

Off the artistic honour roll for life!
Fear? I know not fear. There are only moments of confusion. Some of them are deeply stamped on my memory and a few will haunt me forever. Hunter S. Thompson

Eschew the monumental. Shun the Epic. All the guys who can paint great big pictures can paint great small ones. Ernest Hemingway

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:14 am

Black Sheep wrote:Can anyone help me decide between Rust, DayZ and 7 Days to Die?
I have only played DayZ. That said, 7 Days bills itself as craft-based, whereas DayZ (that's DayZed for us Yanks, as the creator is a Kiwi) is 1 part zombie survival, 1 part weather/starvation survival, and 8 parts other-player-survival. There is nothing stopping you from running around and killing the fresh spawns (Bambis is the colloquial, because they go bounding for the trees in fear) or forcing them to give you their shoes for your shoe museum at gunpoint, or from giving gifts or grabbing one to go have an adventure. At the same time, there's no guarantee that they don't knock you out the second you turn your back and take your shit, or handcuff you and force-feed you a bottle of 409 with no chaser.

It's VERY early Alpha right now. Broken as shit and there's nothing to do but take a few hours to gear up and play Second Life: The Zombie Version With Guns until you die. Swing by their forum or reddit and read up on the endgame stuff (beta should drop no earlier than November, so full game might be as laste as late 2015) and marvel at how interactive the dev team is.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Black Sheep

Post by Black Sheep » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:26 am

Cheers!

EndeavourOfWill

Post by EndeavourOfWill » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:17 pm

A crafting based game might be kind of fun, I enjoyed that with State of Decay. They could have expanded on it a lot more mind you but it was still an interesting twist to zombie games. I'll probably pick up 7days and review it.

Black Sheep

Post by Black Sheep » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:02 am

Well, as the DayZ guy is local and possibly still lives in the same town as me, I'm buying local. Comes highly recommended after all.

Black Sheep

Post by Black Sheep » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:01 am

So, I played some DayZ and found that, for me it's pretty broken for now, particularly the inventory system. It looks like it will come good though. Meantime I've played Rust for a while and it's pretty polished. Quite funny, frustrating in parts but does make you think about surviving in a hostile world with only your wits. Constant beat downs from those with tools and weapons...

Everyone has a shaved head so it's like a post-apocalyptic battle of the giant babies.

EndeavourOfWill

Post by EndeavourOfWill » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:53 am

I'm still trying to wrap my head around a new concept on steam (online game community or whatever).

One of my last vists there I seen an option that let you pay $69 and you can buy a game that's in development and help debug the game.

Somewhere games went from you paying to buy a finished product to you paying a company to help iron out all the bugs for them :? I even remember the transition period where games were released fairly well tested and good to go to games being released full of bugs with the overwealming concept seeming to be "we'll just release a patch"

Black Sheep, since the DayZ guy is local you should approach him and try to get your name or face in the game :wink:

Maeklos
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead (the original), Resident Evil

Post by Maeklos » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:18 pm

7 Days to Die is an awesome game. It's kind of a mix between State of Decay and Minecraft. You've got the zombie dodging and house raiding from State of Decay, and the building and crafting of Minecraft. You've also got to juggle sickness and disease with food and hydration. Sure, you can fill that jar with water from the creek - but it'll probably give you dysentery and then you'll be stuck with decreased mobility, stomach rumbles (that can alert nearby zombies if they're really close), and having to stop periodically to take an emergency deuce. You're starving and all you've found is a nasty ham sandwich from the Before Time? Scarf that sucker down - but don't be surprised if you wind up with food poisoning.

The game is fun, and is wildly adjustable - everything from number of zombies to their actions (always walk, run at night, always run, 'forget' about you if they can't see you, can smell you if they get close enough, etc) and the game world itself.

There's only one problem: food. I just started a new game (you can play single player or multiplayer, on a private server or a public server that you can rent from the game guys) and I'm at around 18:00 hours on Day 1. In that time, I have eaten 9 cans of food (everything from chili to chicken soup to peas to cat food), the meat from 3 rabbits, 2 deer, 9 cobs of corn (boiled!), 3 pieces of moldy bread, and 4 boiled eggs. And my food meter is empty AGAIN. So, 12 hours into my first day and I've eaten something like 30,000 calories worth of food. And I'm STARVING again.

So either the Fun Pimps have no idea how food actually works, or you're actually infected with the zombie virus, but you manage to stave off the effects of it by stuffing your ravenous gullet with enough food to keep you sated. Sadly, as awesome as #2 sounds, it's probably #1.
Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

"If the Russian flag were accurate, it would depict half a cabbage, a bottle of vodka, and a cold man dying for the Motherland."

DFWMTX
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by DFWMTX » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:43 am

Kinda a steep learning curve on the game for someone who has never played Minecraft and is more used to FPS games. Also the type on the screen is tiny. I have to move extra close to the screen to read everything, and I have a big-screen TV.
It can always get worse.

Return to “Zombie Survival/Combat Simulations”