Post subject: Tom Clancys the Division
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:10 am 

http://tomclancy-thedivision.ubi.com/ga ... index.aspx

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:49 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Trailer:

I think this looks awesome. I mean, the interactivity with the environment is amazing. Everything takes damage, moves, etc.

I just don't know that I want to get a PS4 yet. Ugh. I know that at some point I will break down and get one. But damn man, this and Watch Dogs are not making it easy to hold out for lower prices on the systems...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:48 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Well that just looks fucking awesome.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:47 pm 

Two words: Holy shit!

I pretty much gave up on XBox after the debacle that was the unveiling of the XB1, now the only question is how long can I wait before I get a PS4?

Qui non est hodie cras minus aptus erit(he who is not prepared today will be less so tomorrow)-Ovid

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:34 pm 

Hum, wow.

And I thought I was getting out of gaming...

Maybe not!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:46 pm 

TheLastOne wrote:
Well that just looks fucking awesome.

QFT.... Do want!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

SEMPER FI

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:40 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I loved it till it went PVP. :(

I hate PVP.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:19 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Phoenix David wrote:

I hate PVP.

Yeah, I'm kind of with you there. I am hoping there is a way to play it on a non-pvp setting. That's one of the things I hated about "Homefront" - The story mode was awesome, all 5 minutes of it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:02 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

DJH wrote:
Phoenix David wrote:

I hate PVP.

Yeah, I'm kind of with you there. I am hoping there is a way to play it on a non-pvp setting. That's one of the things I hated about "Homefront" - The story mode was awesome, all 5 minutes of it.

I think the issue here is that game developers still haven't come up any multi-player experience more compelling than simply trying to kill each other. I mean, this latest title implies some sort of existential threat, but it appears to only be a McGuffin to get people shooting at each other. Maybe there's more to the game than that, but given what they chose to show in the gameplay trailer, and its lineage (stick Tom Clancy in the title and I'm sorry but I think tactical shooter every damn time), I'm not too hopeful.

Even if you layer in some interesting overarching plot or unique mission structure, if it's PvP, at the end of the day you're shooting at the other guy simply because he's not on your team and you have a gun in your hands. Even if you personally try to do more with the game, it's a multiplayer shooter, which is to say you're in a world full of people who are there for no reason other than to shoot at you.

I like the post SHTF setting. I like the resource scavenging. I really like the idea of companion gaming modes with tablets and smartphones.

But I'm not optimistic that there's much that's really new here except for better graphics.

But then again, maybe I'm just cynical because I'm older and I know it's a virtual world populated by players with faster reflexes than me and who have far more discretionary time than I to develop their FPS shooting skills.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:08 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

majorhavoc wrote:
I like the post SHTF setting. I like the resource scavenging. I really like the idea of companion gaming modes with tablets and smartphones.

But I'm not optimistic that there's much that's really new here except for better graphics.

The thing I'm really excited about and stunned by is the interactivity with the environment. I'm not sure if it's in the trailer I posted, but I saw a trailer on the vids at Gamestop the other day and one of the players was taking cover behind a cop car. As he was being shot at, the bullets hitting the car actually did realistic damage - they holed & shattered windows where they hit, not like other games where as something gets hit it just starts to "look damaged" - also, tires popped, light bars shattered, etc. I've yet to see another game where things took real damage like this and that's what has me all worked up about this game engine.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:22 pm 

DJH wrote:
majorhavoc wrote:

The thing I'm really excited about and stunned by is the interactivity with the environment. I'm not sure if it's in the trailer I posted, but I saw a trailer on the vids at Gamestop the other day and one of the players was taking cover behind a cop car. As he was being shot at, the bullets hitting the car actually did realistic damage - they holed & shattered windows where they hit, not like other games where as something gets hit it just starts to "look damaged" - also, tires popped, light bars shattered, etc. I've yet to see another game where things took real damage like this and that's what has me all worked up about this game engine.

Yeah, that was in the video you posted...it looks incredible.

Regarding PvP/PvE, the wiki site makes it sound (to me) that there may be separate PvP and PvE areas on the map in the form of "dark zones" (like the underground they were looking at before they responded to the gunfire at the police station).

I'm sure it's not, but that person around 0:35 was moving a little zombie-like, maybe?

Beowolf wrote:
Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.

wee drop o' bush wrote:
THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:57 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

THey did say some sort of epidemic...

anywho, yeah, the pvp would get lame and just end up me dying every 2 minutes. I also was a little deflated at that point in the vid, but the rest seemed pretty great. The map they showed was freaking huge. Circumstantial action (discovering the police station, choosing to intervene) is awesome. The implied backstory of sleeper cell type person tapped to help out and maintain order sounds interesting to me and likely something everyone on this board could buy into :lol:

Put it on pc.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:34 pm 

Their other trailer video for anyone who hasn't watched it yet, sets up some more of their backstory:

The video seems to suggest that it is not going to be a zombie game (actually happy about that, there are too many out now, and it helps me take it more seriously), and is just a socio-economic collapse from a flu pandemic?

I have tried to figure out if there is a mode in the co-op side that is just PvE without any PvP but I can't find any explicit wording to such. It seems to clash with the storyline though, but maybe they have an explanation for it somehow. I.e. if all the players are controlling "secret government agents" why are they now fighting one another? Or do some people play as rouge groups of non-governmental agents? PvP for me tends to get annoying, only partly because I end up dying a lot, but also because I think a bunch of swearing 15 year-olds really breaks any semblance of immersive RPG element you're trying to encourage. :P

I will definitely check it out for PC once it comes out. Sounds and looks like plenty of fun, even so.

Colin Wilson wrote:
There’s no point in kicking a dead horse. If the horse is up and ready and you give it a slap on the bum, it will take off. But if it’s dead, even if you slap it, it’s not going anywhere.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:17 am 

Woah pvp is awesome, and I'm sure there will be protected areas for regular playing. Otherwise, at least for me, computer opponents get boring.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:10 pm 

bc99 wrote:
Woah pvp is awesome, and I'm sure there will be protected areas for regular playing. Otherwise, at least for me, computer opponents get boring.

Well, you are right in the respect that computer AIs don't always act very life-like, and if there are patterns, one can learn to exploit them. Playing against other humans is great to always keep you on your feet. I don't mind that aspect of playing against people, and I enjoy it a lot sometimes, but if you are wanting to stick to a "story" or "atmosphere" in a game, it is hard to do playing against everyone in the world. Maybe if you had a LAN of like-mined people it would work out great, but I find MMOs tend to get spammed by certain people who kinda ruin it for some others that want to keep the game a little more pure.

Colin Wilson wrote:
There’s no point in kicking a dead horse. If the horse is up and ready and you give it a slap on the bum, it will take off. But if it’s dead, even if you slap it, it’s not going anywhere.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:28 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

That's my problem with PvP, the people who want to play cooperatively or realistically, friggin awesome. But the ones who just like to hide out & snipe newbs, or run around just being gentleman sausages in general, they can go away.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:39 am 

Tom Clancy Dead: http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/02/us/tom-clancy-obit/ :(

A talented writer will be missed, but a legendary body of works will remain.

Colin Wilson wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:39 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Major Tom Clancy fan here. Anyone heard anything else on this title yet? Or are we just waiting it out still.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:32 am 

I hadn't seen that second trailer before...definitely interesting (and scarily plausible) idea behind it all, though their timetable seems a bit rushed. I'm not a huge fan of PVP, especially in something like this, but I can deal with it. Computer AI can be pretty awesome, especially when it's done right, like in F.E.A.R, Far Cry 2, or Crysis...but if it's done like some of the later Tom Clancy games that have released (Vegas, I'm looking at you), well, that'll be a disappointment. Speaking of R6: Vegas, I think this is the first Tom Clancy game I've been interested in since Rainbow Six Raven Shield/Athena Sword.

I'll definitely be checking this out when it releases, though whether it'll be on PC or a console will depend on where the majority of my friends end up going (and if I have the spare money to get a next-gen console).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:28 am 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Yeah once the price drops on the PS4 a bit I will be having this.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:48 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Pushed back to 2015

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:50 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Plot kinda reminds me of "The Remaining" book series...but without the whole zombies thing.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:42 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

i have a ps4 on layaway from trading in all my xbox crap in prep for a move. I think this is the only game with me interested right now. Otherwise it's going to just end up a netflix machine like our ps3 and xbox...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:17 am 

Anybody play the beta?