Fallout 4......

Discussions about Zombie training simulators such as video games, RPGs, paintball or other related simulations.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
quazi
* * * * *
Posts: 4466
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:51 am
Location: AK

Re: Fallout 4......

Post by quazi » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:55 pm

The trailer looks good. I'm hoping they incorporate some of the improvements from New Vegas (iron sights, hardcore mode, more crafting) but even if they don't the mod community will probably have that stuff pretty soon after release.
Kilo147 wrote:If they have the opening take place before and immediately during the war, I'll be so fucking happy. Now, where did I put my dosimeters...
Yeah, that would be really cool the first time. I'm a little concerned it would end up being like Fallout 3, which had an amazing opening that turned into torture by the third time you had to play through it.

On a side note, I'm hoping that they end up setting some of their games earlier in the timeline. Fallout was about eighty years after the Great War. Fallout 2 was about eighty years after Fallout. Fallout 3 was about forty years after Fallout 2 and thousands of miles away. Fallout NV was about the same time period as Fallout 3 and closer to the original location. This leaves huge gaps in time and space that haven't been filled in, without even leaving the U.S.

I'd like to see a game set just a little bit after the radiation from the Great War had diminished to the point where people could just start venturing out of their shelters. It might also be cool to see what happened to the American counter-invasion force that was occupying part of China when the Great War started.

Of course all these games take a lot of time and money to make, so they won't be able to make every game that every fan wants to see. On the other hand, there were only two years in between Fallout 3 and New Vegas. It would be nice if they could farm out more games to Obsidian and other companies and have a more frequent release schedule. Maybe they're worried about quality control, or that they might be eating into their TES sales?

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 12210
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:06 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: Fallout 4......

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:04 pm

I, for one, would love if every TES/FO game heretoforward had an option in the menu to skip the opening quest.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
Image
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

User avatar
Kommander
* * * * *
Posts: 4274
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:38 am
Location: Mesa, AZ

Re: Fallout 4......

Post by Kommander » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:46 pm

I've got mixed feeling on this one. While its nice to see more Fallout, and more colorful Fallout, I can't help but note Bethesda's complete inability to write compelling characters or narratives. They do a good job with world building though, so it's almost as if they should craft the framework, and let someone else make all the plot and characters. I'm also conflicted about the setting. While the previous DC setting provided some unique insights into the world of Fallout I felt it lost some of that "western" feeling that I liked about the first two and New Vegas. With the game now set in Boston I can't help but feel the same way, though seeing the USS Constitution like that is pretty cool. I do wonder who they will get from Hollywood to play an important character who dies halfway early in the game this time. It looks to be built with the same engine Skyrim was was, so if you can run that you most likely will be able to run Fallout 4.
Image

Why must all the hoops be on fire?

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 12210
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:06 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: Fallout 4......

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:54 pm

Kommander wrote:I've got mixed feeling on this one. While its nice to see more Fallout, and more colorful Fallout, I can't help but note Bethesda's complete inability to write compelling characters or narratives. They do a good job with world building though, so it's almost as if they should craft the framework, and let someone else make all the plot and characters. I'm also conflicted about the setting. While the previous DC setting provided some unique insights into the world of Fallout I felt it lost some of that "western" feeling that I liked about the first two and New Vegas. With the game now set in Boston I can't help but feel the same way, though seeing the USS Constitution like that is pretty cool. I do wonder who they will get from Hollywood to play an important character who dies halfway early in the game this time. It looks to be built with the same engine Skyrim was was, so if you can run that you most likely will be able to run Fallout 4.
To be fair, FONV was developed by Obsidian Entertainment [also developed Wasteland 2 if you're looking for something more like the original FO games] and published by Bethesda, FO3 was developed and published by Bethesda. Bethesda had nothing to do with anything before FO3, although IIRC they did absorb some of the personnel from the old Black Isle team. I prefer keeping the east and west coast games separate. Western-style in Boston or DC would feel wrong, IMO. I look forward to more city action and suburbs from Bethesda.

I like both the old and the new, I just tend to look at them differently. I can agree that the Capitol Wasteland needed better characters and stories, but I felt NV was better for that. Hopefully the newest team has pulled in Obsidian talent, maybe more of the Skyrim team as well.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
Image
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

User avatar
Kommander
* * * * *
Posts: 4274
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:38 am
Location: Mesa, AZ

Re: Fallout 4......

Post by Kommander » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:50 pm

I am fully aware of the history of the license and developers. I don't think that the east coast Fallout is necessarily bad, and allot of the Fallout 3 design choices I take issue with have little to nothing to do with the setting (Vampires? Seriously? WTF?). Also I don't want to put Western-style into the Eastern games, but rather have more Western-style western games. That all being said I'll happily enjoy the Bethesda Fallout games for what they are. As for Wasteland I recently finished and while I had some fun with it, it was not without it's issues, most of which cropped up at the end.
Image

Why must all the hoops be on fire?

User avatar
quazi
* * * * *
Posts: 4466
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:51 am
Location: AK

Re: Fallout 4......

Post by quazi » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:08 am

I didn't mind the green tint, but I do prefer the more normal color scheme.

I'm hoping there will be less time required to be spent in the subways. I think they added a lot of character to Fallout 3, but I don't enjoy dungeon crawls that much. Video games can creep me out really easily, and being stuck down in a lightless subway with a bunch of zombies is unpleasant.

User avatar
Kommander
* * * * *
Posts: 4274
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:38 am
Location: Mesa, AZ

Re: Fallout 4......

Post by Kommander » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:06 pm

quazi wrote:I didn't mind the green tint, but I do prefer the more normal color scheme.

I'm hoping there will be less time required to be spent in the subways. I think they added a lot of character to Fallout 3, but I don't enjoy dungeon crawls that much. Video games can creep me out really easily, and being stuck down in a lightless subway with a bunch of zombies is unpleasant.
I gather that the Metro series really isn't for you then.
Image

Why must all the hoops be on fire?

zero11010
* * *
Posts: 586
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:24 pm

Re: Fallout 4......

Post by zero11010 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:31 pm

Kommander wrote:Vampires? Seriously? WTF?
I think this would fall under "knowing their audience."

For a lot of these epic games having plotlines where characters can potentially be infected with zombism, or vampirism or lycanthropy or whatever else is pretty common. It started over 10 years ago as the tech really made things like this more feasible. The players really ate it up. It can do a lot to add replayability to a game to create altered game states where you can try to continue the plotline with/without a cure.

There's a lot of overlap in the niche of video game players who like open ended RPGs and the niche of players who really like vampires and werewolves and other things. Some of these things can fit into the setting of Fallout with the mutations that occur. These things also certainly fit into the Elder Scroll series (which I think was one of the first epic open world series like this to include content of this specific nature).

As an aside:
Right now on steam the Fallout Series is very much on sale.
Fallout New Vegas is $4.99, and the Ultimate Edition is $11.99
Fallout 3 is $4.99, and the game of the year edition is $11.99
Fallout Tactics is $4.99.
Fallout 2 is $4.99
Fallout is $4.99


Fallout 3 was absolutely amazing. If 4 is half as good the game will be worth the money. I didn't play Vegas, but am considering buying it (just picked up Witcher 3 and Evolve and am still working through Dragon Age Inquisition ... so new games may need to wait). I didn't even know they released a tactical RPG! I think I'll have to play that for certain!

User avatar
Mountainsquid
* * *
Posts: 347
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:34 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead(Snyder), Zombieland
Location: The Capital Wasteland

Re: Fallout 4......

Post by Mountainsquid » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:00 pm

Oh man, you need to pick up Vegas.

It was far, far better than FO3. My avatar is New Vegas-related.

User avatar
Mountainsquid
* * *
Posts: 347
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:34 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead(Snyder), Zombieland
Location: The Capital Wasteland

Re: Fallout 4......

Post by Mountainsquid » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:06 pm

What did everyone think of gameplay video? I am feeling much better, especially since it's now clear we aren't locked into one character.

Also, I absolutely am buying this Pip-boy.

User avatar
quazi
* * * * *
Posts: 4466
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:51 am
Location: AK

Re: Fallout 4......

Post by quazi » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:46 am

Mountainsquid wrote:What did everyone think of gameplay video? I am feeling much better, especially since it's now clear we aren't locked into one character.
It looks great. I am really, really excited.

I caught the interview with Adam Sessler and Morgan Webb. I missed the main presentation, and haven't been able to find the whole thing, just segments of it.

Edit: Here's a link to the whole Bethesda E3 presentation. The link is to the start of the Fallout part. https://youtu.be/2KApp699WdE?t=3951

It looks like the game will have an extremely detailed crafting system. You can break down a very large amount of the random junk in the wasteland and use it to create and modify all sorts of things. There are over 50 base weapons and over 700 weapon modifications! Armor also looks to be highly customizable, maybe not to the point that it was in Morrowind but getting there.

You can build settlements! Not just one, but several, and you'll be able to send caravans between them. They'll attract inhabitants and raiders. It looks like they threw a Sims-level of detail into this aspect of the game. They could probably not even have a story and this game looks like it would still be amazing.

I'm glad they have iron sights.

The intro quest looks interesting, but it's probably going to be another one that gets more excruciating every time you play through it.

It looks like you have a lot of control over your companions (or at least your dog).

It's scheduled release date is November 10th!
Mountainsquid wrote:Also, I absolutely am buying this Pip-boy.
It looks neat, and I can see how it would work well as a second screen option for console players. Doesn't look like it would be comfortable to wear with my mouse and keyboard. I might get it just for the cool factor, but I want to see what their other pre-order options are.
Edit: Screw it, I just pre-ordered it from Amazon.

Also they're releasing a free Vault simulation game for mobile devices called Fallout Shelter. It's available on iPhone now and Android soon.
Last edited by quazi on Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Confucius
* * * * *
Posts: 2747
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:17 pm
Location: The last, best place

Re: Fallout 4......

Post by Confucius » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:26 am

Looks nice, but I'm throwing my hat in with the "Intro quest looks like it'll be terrible for replays" crowd, and tentatively suggesting that conversations are going to drive me crazy. So slow...

User avatar
quazi
* * * * *
Posts: 4466
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:51 am
Location: AK

Re: Fallout 4......

Post by quazi » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:54 pm

Confucius wrote:Looks nice, but I'm throwing my hat in with the "Intro quest looks like it'll be terrible for replays" crowd, and tentatively suggesting that conversations are going to drive me crazy. So slow...
It looks like they're incorporating what a lot of fans like, so maybe they'll give us the option to skip the tutorial quest? Probably not, but I can always dream. On the other hand the tutorial quests in FO2/3, Skyrim, Oblivion, etc. still aren't as bad as being stuck in Fyrestone.

I'm interested in seeing how having the main character narrated will work out. I liked the dialogue system in Mass Effect, but I hope they don't cut down too much on all the cool dialogue choices that make Fallout fun. I need me my dumb speech!

Based on Pip-Boy screen shots it looks like they might have drastically changed/eliminated skills. Some people speculate that everything is perks now. If they do change the way skills are done I hope they incorporate the system from TES games where you advance skills by doing. It always felt more natural to me to get better at crafting by crafting, rather than by stabbing people in the face.
Kommander wrote:
quazi wrote:I didn't mind the green tint, but I do prefer the more normal color scheme.

I'm hoping there will be less time required to be spent in the subways. I think they added a lot of character to Fallout 3, but I don't enjoy dungeon crawls that much. Video games can creep me out really easily, and being stuck down in a lightless subway with a bunch of zombies is unpleasant.
I gather that the Metro series really isn't for you then.
I bought the first one, but I haven't played it yet. If I do it will likely be on bright, sunny days with all the windows open, the lights on and other people in the house. :lol:

User avatar
12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 6686
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:21 pm
Location: Middle of nowhere, West Texas
Contact:

Re: Fallout 4......

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:19 pm

As with the other Bethesda games, I'll wait until the Ultimate or Game of the Year edition with all the bugs worked out is released.

I'm also going to wait to get an XBox One until the price comes down a little more as well.

I'll mostly be doing that since I'm sure there's not going to be an Xbox 360 version released. :(

User avatar
Kommander
* * * * *
Posts: 4274
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:38 am
Location: Mesa, AZ

Re: Fallout 4......

Post by Kommander » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:28 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I'll mostly be doing that since I'm sure there's not going to be an Xbox 360 version released. :(
I am fairly certain there wont be. According to this article "Bethesda had already clarified that Fallout 4 would not be coming out on Xbox 360 and PS3, citing it wouldn't be possible to pull off what they had developed for the old-gen consoles."
Image

Why must all the hoops be on fire?

User avatar
quazi
* * * * *
Posts: 4466
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:51 am
Location: AK

Re: Fallout 4......

Post by quazi » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:23 am

Started a new run through of Fallout 3. I want to actually finish this time. I'm conflicted, because I've already played Anchorage and The Pitt so I'd rather not run through them again. On the other hand I'm playing a stealthy sniper, so Chinese Stealth armor and a silenced assault rifle sound pretty nice. I'll probably play Anchorage since it's pretty quick, if lame.
Kommander wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I'll mostly be doing that since I'm sure there's not going to be an Xbox 360 version released. :(
I am fairly certain there wont be. According to this article "Bethesda had already clarified that Fallout 4 would not be coming out on Xbox 360 and PS3, citing it wouldn't be possible to pull off what they had developed for the old-gen consoles."
It's sad for the people who won't be able to play it, but I would much rather they not support the older generation of consoles and have a bigger, better, shinier game.

They haven't released requirements yet, but maybe you could upgrade your PC Chimp?

User avatar
Kommander
* * * * *
Posts: 4274
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:38 am
Location: Mesa, AZ

Re: Fallout 4......

Post by Kommander » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:26 am

I think he is right about waiting. Due to the popularity of Game of the Year Editions and Steam sales there is quite frankly no reason to pay more than half price ($20-$30) for a AAA title with all DLC included if one can exercise a bit of patience. I think I got Fallout NV and all it's DLC for I think $9.99. The days of be busing a game on launch day, or even a few weeks after to make sure it's good, are long gone.
Image

Why must all the hoops be on fire?

User avatar
12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 6686
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:21 pm
Location: Middle of nowhere, West Texas
Contact:

Re: Fallout 4......

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:49 pm

Quazi, I'm running a laptop so playing Fallout 4 on it isn't going to happen. That and I'm not much of a PC gamer.

I'll just wait for awhile to pick up Fallout 4 when I can get an Xbox One cheap enough and snag a copy later. I'm fine with playing the older games until then. I still need to finish Fallout: New Vegas anyway.

User avatar
quazi
* * * * *
Posts: 4466
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:51 am
Location: AK

Re: Fallout 4......

Post by quazi » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:50 pm

Seeing a lot of stuff that I didn't see the first couple times I played Fallout 3. For some reason I'm having a problem with the game crashing though.

Does talking about gameplay features (as opposed to plot) count as spoilers? I wouldn't think so.

I like that dogmeat isn't killable. Normally I don't when NPC companions aren't killable, as I seem to end up in weird situations where I can just cower behind cover while my follower takes out all of the enemies. But if I'm going to be stuck with a dog for a companion it will be nice to know that I won't feel bad for getting him killed. Maybe he won't be invincible, instead he'll get knocked out and revive after combat is over? It would be kind of cool if he was actually a robot dog from The Institute and you could fix him after he is killed.

Not sure how I feel about the new dialogue system. Not the voiced part of it, but the bit where you don't actually know exactly what you're going to say. I actually really, really liked this system in Mass Effect. It was fun to be able to direct the gist of what your character would say, but not know exactly what was going to be said. However, I worry that in a game like Fallout it might hurt the roleplaying aspect of it.
Kommander wrote:I think he is right about waiting. Due to the popularity of Game of the Year Editions and Steam sales there is quite frankly no reason to pay more than half price ($20-$30) for a AAA title with all DLC included if one can exercise a bit of patience. I think I got Fallout NV and all it's DLC for I think $9.99. The days of be busing a game on launch day, or even a few weeks after to make sure it's good, are long gone.
From a financial standpoint you're definitely right. I almost always wait for GOTY sales to pick up new games. For some games that I really want I'll wait for the first Steam sale usually a couple months after they come out.

Fallout is the exception. I pre-order the collector editions of Fallout games because I'm a silly fanboy.
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:Quazi, I'm running a laptop so playing Fallout 4 on it isn't going to happen.
Darn.

User avatar
12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 6686
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:21 pm
Location: Middle of nowhere, West Texas
Contact:

Re: Fallout 4......

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:53 pm

I'm fine with not playing on PC, actually.

I tried PC gaming briefly in the late 90's and it just never felt right to me.

I'll just bide my time until I can play the game for myself and watch game play footage when it others post videos on YouTube after Fallout 4 hits shelves.

User avatar
Rev
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 2645
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 2:54 am
Location: Huntington, West Virginia

Re: Fallout 4......

Post by Rev » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:58 am

What doesn't feel right? Your xbox or ps3 are just very specialized personal computers. If you like using a game controller use a game controller. You like playing on your television, switch to it as your monitor when you game. The good thing about consoles is that everyone knows the hardware, and plan their games around it. Good things about a PC is that you can always lower the graphics, and you get the joy of fanmade mods.
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

Zombie Squad Forum Rules: Read Me!
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 44&t=19895

User avatar
12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 6686
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:21 pm
Location: Middle of nowhere, West Texas
Contact:

Re: Fallout 4......

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:12 pm

Rev wrote:What doesn't feel right? Your xbox or ps3 are just very specialized personal computers. If you like using a game controller use a game controller. You like playing on your television, switch to it as your monitor when you game. The good thing about consoles is that everyone knows the hardware, and plan their games around it. Good things about a PC is that you can always lower the graphics, and you get the joy of fanmade mods.
That's true, Rev.

I'll revisit PC gaming at some point in the future, but for now I'm sticking with consoles.

As for what didn't feel right, it was the keyboard controls. They felt a bit awkward to me back then since I was used to the console controllers.

Shotgunner1992
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:30 am
Location: Kentucky

Re: Fallout 4......

Post by Shotgunner1992 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:17 pm

Pre-Ordered Pip Boy Edition, PS4, and not a care in the world...

Best $127 I put on my credit card yet...

Now I just have to find a PS4 before Nov.10th LMAO :awesome:
Security work is my life.

Future Airman.
Security Forces.

---

User avatar
Rev
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 2645
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 2:54 am
Location: Huntington, West Virginia

Re: Fallout 4......

Post by Rev » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:56 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Rev wrote:What doesn't feel right? Your xbox or ps3 are just very specialized personal computers. If you like using a game controller use a game controller. You like playing on your television, switch to it as your monitor when you game. The good thing about consoles is that everyone knows the hardware, and plan their games around it. Good things about a PC is that you can always lower the graphics, and you get the joy of fanmade mods.
That's true, Rev.

I'll revisit PC gaming at some point in the future, but for now I'm sticking with consoles.

As for what didn't feel right, it was the keyboard controls. They felt a bit awkward to me back then since I was used to the console controllers.
I just use controllers for things that aren't strategy games on my pc.
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

Zombie Squad Forum Rules: Read Me!
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 44&t=19895

Post Reply

Return to “Zombie Survival/Combat Simulations”