It is currently Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: DayZ standalone game
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:34 pm 

So is it worth it to pick up the stand alone now? I played the mod a bunch Nov-Jan last year but lost interest. I want to get into it since ill have more time to mess around on the net since I'm getting laid off from my seasonal job.

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:19 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Can someone give me an idea of wha the game entails??

Like, can I play off of a server where 12 year olds will not be able to randomly shooting me in the back?
Do I need a super computer or will my regular laptop work?
Can I just play occasionally without having to start from scratch everytime?
Is it a bunch of super gamers that will destroy me even before I learn the controls?

P.S. I hate online games because I only casually play video games, so should I not even bother with this??

zero11010 wrote:
The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:33 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Like, can I play off of a server where 12 year olds will not be able to randomly shooting me in the back?

Nope. The zeds are an annoyance, the only fun in it is the other predators. I guess you could run your own server, but there's not much to do.

Quote:
Do I need a super computer or will my regular laptop work?

The engine (let's call it ARMA 2.5RS) is VERY CPU-dependent. Look at the minimums listed on steam, and plan to exceed that. Even then, framerates may shit the bed in larger cities.

Quote:
Can I just play occasionally without having to start from scratch everytime?

Yep. Although since it's still prerelease (technically) there are periodic wipes, both intentional and accidental.

Quote:
Is it a bunch of super gamers that will destroy me even before I learn the controls?

Sort of. Half the fun is playing cat-and-mouse. You really need other people to team up with, or it gets a bit nerve-wracking.

Quote:
P.S. I hate online games because I only casually play video games, so should I not even bother with this??

Probably not, tbh. There are some good ones on Steam right now in the zombie/survival category. Wasteland 2 looks good for a call-back to original Fallout: Tactics. Outlast looks good, and is on sale. Metro 2033 Redux looks good too, supposed to be smoother than the original.

If you have ARMA III, there are some survival-ish mods you might like. The big thing is making sure you can run ARMA III.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:45 am 

Red_Ramage wrote:
I haven't played this in months. Have they done anything to address the really stupid game breaks like walking through walls, zombies through the floor, leg-breaking ladders, and taking thirty goddamned seconds to draw a weapon?

I want to love DayZ (and have about 150 hours into the alpha), but it's freaking frustrating to handle stuff like that. I swear I could just go licence the Source engine or Cryengine and have a spectacular zombie survival shooter within a year.

They've mostly fixed the zombie pathing. They'll go up stairs now, tend to not run through buildings etc. They still hit you when you're not where they're aiming, but it's "better".

I'm having issues with my weapons changing randomly now, and the stupid cold killed me earlier because I couldn't find any matches and no matter where I server hopped it was never warm. *shrug* It's alpha, they'll fix it.

Add me on Steam (Fignuts!), I'm finally mostly learning the map although I don't know the cities by name I know their layouts finally. This really is a game made significantly better by being paired up at minimum. Lone wolf is rough.

mzmadmike wrote:
I may even buy another semiautomatic assault weapon rambo killing machine for my small penis, with lots of large capacity non-reusable clips full of armor piercing incendiary mercury tracer poisoned explosive hollowpoint glaser black talons

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:16 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

So today I've been running around, found myself an AK + 75rd drum + PSO-1 and FNX45 + RDS + light, been running around looking for helicrashes and AKM rails, nada. These are the sites I searched, in .46:

Time to upgrade and hope for the best? Are there no AKM rails in .46?

Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:37 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Baleted BF4 for now, reinstalled DayZ. Hit me up. DocTorr Fabulous on steam.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:55 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Convocation day=no classes=DayZ day.

New bug. No sound at all. Fix: ...\Steam\steamapps\common\DayZ\_CommonRedist <<go here and reinstall DirectX.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:33 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I've been trying to play this game off and on for a while now. I might fire it up again and see where its at.

Any ZS'ers still playing? My steamid is capncrunch86.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:13 pm 

Been a couple months so...

Over the Mod...is it now worth it to pick this up to start playing? I mean is it playable...

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
I'd rather have 10 spooky-sized aircraft in an AO than 100 drones, because fuck those fucking pred flyboys who can't tell the difference between a shovel and an RPK.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:46 am 

It's playable..... But I've only played 1.5 hours.

Don't eat the berries.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:18 pm 

I fired it up last week and I hadn't realized that vehicles had been implemented. I was in the town SW of the NEAF when I heard a truck moving around in town...and I couldn't find it. Scared the hell out of me(one more thing to look forward to in the PAW I guess). Closed the door the to apartment I was hiding in and logged out.

With vehicles and persistent tents I think we're finally within spitting distance of it being more playable over the mod. IMO trucks should be about as big a vehicle allowed in the game, although I'm sure when it's actually released someone will mod in AFVs. What's left is being able to build a base/secure buildings.

Unfortunately I think my CPU fan is on it's last legs so I haven't messed with my main tower since then. Hopefully my new fan + arctic silver will arrive on Friday, and hopefully that will be all that I need.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:36 pm 

R_C_S wrote:

Don't eat the berries.

Red were fine, blue will make you sick

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:48 pm 

MSurber90 wrote:
R_C_S wrote:

Don't eat the berries.

Red were fine, blue will make you sick

I had no clue. Does the sickness go away?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:03 pm 

Yep, when you die.

Or find charcoal tabs.

DayZ SA is fun, when you have a decent group. I prefer Breaking Point for ARMA 3 personally.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:29 am 

:rofl: Oh well, I'll just respawn.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:21 pm 

They've certainly improved the game since the last time I messed around with it. Almost like a different game. Still sucks to lone wolf it of course. I'm commando337 on Steam if anyone's interested in some teamwork action.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:04 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

DayZ. So, I just purchased this game (admittedly, a game that is still in its alpha phase) over the weekend and thought I’d share my experience. I’ve heard a lot about it, I guess mostly here on ZS, but I’m terribly tech savvy and didn’t really know anything about Steam until last week when I bought Rust (see my Rust thread for info on that: https://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=115072 ).

So I downloaded the game and logged into the world for the first time ever. I detest random player-killing and griefing, so I chose a server that had “No KOS” in the name. When I logged in I saw a message that warned that Killing on sight was grounds for being banned. I was standing in a sparsely wooded area near what appeared to be the outskirts of a small town. I had no idea how to do anything, so I started trying to figure out: how to walk, open my inventory, look around, etc. Within 60 seconds, while still standing in the same spot where I had appeared, two guys in full battle rattle came running up pointing M-4s at me. Both had some type of masks on, so I couldn’t see their faces. Both were wearing military style clothing, but it was obvious they were not soldiers. Also, they were not wearing proper uniforms (or even reasonable modifications of uniforms). One of them had something on his head that looked like something a sniper would wear—it had weeds or some shit coming out of, presumably to break up his outline and allow him to hide better among local vegetation (although, admittedly, it wasn’t helping with that task given the fact that he was approaching me out in the open and came up within about 4 to 6 meters from me).

Neither one spoke, either by voice chat or by typing, but just stood there pointing their rifles at me. I frantically tried to figure out how to talk. I accidentally laid down and stood back up. Then I crouched down and stood up. Then I found the button that opens a chat window (which I have since forgotten). I said, “Hello.” Then they shot me and I died. :evil:

I was pissed off, I mean, this was a Non-KOS Server! I figured maybe I had somehow breached some protocol or rule of etiquette, so I got online and looked up a chart with a list of keyboard commands (and went to take care of a few chores around the house). I printed off the keyboard commands. Next time, I’d be ready.

I came back an hour or so later and logged back in to a place that looked like it was not too far away from where I’d been before. Fortunately, there were no other players around and I was able to move more than two steps from where I spawned. “Alright! This is happening,” I thought. It was raining and I was starting to get cold and hungry, so I sought shelter in a nearby abandoned building. I’m not sure what type of building it was. From the outside it looked somewhat like a municipal structure, but I think it might have been an apartment building or something. Inside I found a backpack and some gloves. I couldn’t figure out how to pick them up. I scanned my list of keyboard commands. No mention of how to pick things up. So I logged out and Googled, “Day Z how to pick things up” and learned that I had to click the mouse wheel—which seemed anything but intuitive. :?

So logged back in found I was still in the same spot. I grabbed the backpack and was pleased to see that the character automatically equipped it (one less thing to figure out). I picked up the gloves and saw that they, too, were automatically put on. I searched around and found a can of tuna and some other items. I opened the tuna and ate it. I think I also had painkillers, water purification tablets, a compass, etc. I found a cattle prod but had my doubts about how effective it would be against other players. At one point I found a bayonet, which really wanted because I didn’t have any kind of knife. Unfortunately, I somehow failed to pick it up and then I couldn’t figure out where it was. I later found a collapsible baton—which sounded like it might be a decent weapon—but I couldn’t figure out how to open it up (the ones I’m familiar with in real life generally just call for a flick of the wrist; I have no idea how to “flick my wrist” in this game to see if it works the same way). I found a crowbar and figured that would serve well enough as a weapon until I found something better. I found a pair of cargo pants and switched my jeans for them, because apparently the ability to carry more stuff is a big deal in this game. That was okay with me, because I often wear cargo pants in real life (when I’m not at work).

I was still shivering—apparently it is perpetually cold and wet in this world—and I went upstairs and tried to find some dry clothes. I had no idea how severe the penalties were for going a while without warming up, but I didn’t want to chance it. I had some matches, but couldn’t figure out how to start a fire (if that’s even possible). I found a wool dress and actually considered trying it on, but thought better of it. Surely there must be something around here that I can wear that will warm me up. At last I found a bomber jacket! A ha! I put it on—and immediately noticed that my T-shirt was now inside my backpack! Wait! I’m trying to warm up here, so layers are good, right? Surely I can wear a jacket over top of my T-shirt? I tried to put the T-shirt back on and then the bomber jacket was in my backpack. As I wrestled with my sartorial conundrum, I heard a sound of movement in the hallway outside. I turned (in my imagination I have this hilarious image of me trying to squeeze back into a damp T-shirt, with my arms in the shirt up to my biceps and the shirt lifted over me at a 45 degree angle as I turn with a confused look on my face—in reality, I think I’d already put the T-shirt or the jacket (but not *both*) back on.

There in the hallway were the same two masked paramilitary-looking guys I’d run into earlier. Once again, they were pointing their M-4s at me. Crap! Which button was it that allowed me to talk? I knew I had to act fast or this was going to have a hauntingly familiar ending. Crap! Crap! Crap! Which FUCKING BUTTON IS IT!?!?!

I couldn’t find it on my chart. In retrospect, I don’t know if it would have helped, but at the moment not being able to talk seemed like a problem. Trying to think fast—and still thinking that communication might save my bacon (even though they were not talking to me)—I managed to wave hello.

The one on the left—Mr. Weed-Helmet, as I’ve since named him—waved back—but he only used one finger. This guy was flipping me off! WTF!?! Oh, crap! Where’s my crowbar? I opened my inventory and tried to figure out how to put it in my hand—it looked like it was in my hot-bar, so that I expected just pressing “1” would equip it, but no such luck. I tried to drag it into the box that represented my hand. Nope. Crap!

As I tried desperately to figure out how to put the crowbar in my hand, I heard the sound of combat boots enter the room. And then the sound of gunshots. Everything went black. :(

So that was my first experience with Day Z. I really want to like it. I understand the appeal of PVP if we’re talking about testing one’s skill against other people. But I do not understand if it is little more than living out some type of murder/rape fantasy. That, I do not get. And so far, that’s what Day Z seems to be. Also, something about it gave me wicked motion sickness. So I figured I’d let Mr. Weed-Helmet and his friend, Silent Dick, be kings of the garbage heap for now.

I went back to playing Rust. At least it doesn’t make me feel nauseated.

JamesCannon wrote:
I was more mad that it was closed down, because I loved the dish that was apparently rat meat.

Meat N' Taters wrote:
Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.

Pig wrote:
How dare you try to bribe me with amenities like anime, Annie Mae, my sea anemone enemy!?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:17 am 

Yeah, DayZ SA is basically an exercise in "Oh, that's why Rick is paranoid about outsiders".

IMO, I think a big mistake is getting rid of the "side chat" that was in the mod and in ARMA 2/3. Yes, I get it's less realistic, but it turns every single encounter with a stranger into a racing heartbeat situation where you just have to assume he's going to kill you.

IMO, DayZ SA works best with other people. It is not a good idea to be wandering Chenarus by yourself.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:18 am 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

There are so many things I don’t get about this game. I’ve watched a few YouTube videos and think I’ve gotten an idea about it beyond my limited and disappointing experience. One thing I’ve noticed is everyone seems to go for military uniforms as soon as possible—as if that’s the holy grail of post-apocalyptic fashion. Is it just for the camouflage or is there some other benefit to wearing military garb? Or is it just a bunch of wannabe soldiers? Do some folks get a hard on at the thought of pretending to be a soldier? :roll:

What is “side chat” (I can Google it if need be)? Can people nearby not read what I type when I type it in the little chat window thing? From what I’ve seen, Day Z seems to be more of an exercise in douchebaggery. I clearly didn’t have anything of value, so looting me could not have been the motivation (especially when I first spawned and had only the clothes on my back). I don’t think the motivation is the “challenge” of fighting another person. I was clearly unarmed or under-armed in each case and demonstrating a poor command of the interface. What motivation could this guy have had other than to be a dick? Granted, I have accepted the very real possibility that Mr. Weed-Helmet was probably a pathetic 12 year old sitting in his mom’s basement eating cheese. . .

JamesCannon wrote:
I was more mad that it was closed down, because I loved the dish that was apparently rat meat.

Meat N' Taters wrote:
Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.

Pig wrote:
How dare you try to bribe me with amenities like anime, Annie Mae, my sea anemone enemy!?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:53 am 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Kelvar wrote:
There are so many things I don’t get about this game. I’ve watched a few YouTube videos and think I’ve gotten an idea about it beyond my limited and disappointing experience. One thing I’ve noticed is everyone seems to go for military uniforms as soon as possible—as if that’s the holy grail of post-apocalyptic fashion. Is it just for the camouflage or is there some other benefit to wearing military garb? Or is it just a bunch of wannabe soldiers? Do some folks get a hard on at the thought of pretending to be a soldier? :roll:

What is “side chat” (I can Google it if need be)? Can people nearby not read what I type when I type it in the little chat window thing? From what I’ve seen, Day Z seems to be more of an exercise in douchebaggery. I clearly didn’t have anything of value, so looting me could not have been the motivation (especially when I first spawned and had only the clothes on my back). I don’t think the motivation is the “challenge” of fighting another person. I was clearly unarmed or under-armed in each case and demonstrating a poor command of the interface. What motivation could this guy have had other than to be a dick? Granted, I have accepted the very real possibility that Mr. Weed-Helmet was probably a pathetic 12 year old sitting in his mom’s basement eating cheese. . .

Carrying capacity is based on slots, not weight. Fatigues have the most slots per item of clothing, ergo the most capacity for clothing. Military backpacks are the best balance between carrying capacity and being able to see over your shoulder when death-sprinting across an open field. Likewise, bright colors make it easier for the dickbags with 'Nuggets to see you.

Side chat is no longer global, only local, and you'll need to make sure you're using the right chat for others to see it. When it doubt, use public broadcast voice. I don't remember what the keybinds are, my shit's custom.

What motivation? Nobody knows what's on the other side of the computer. It's not uncommon for Bambis (fresh spawns) to do their best to clobber someone in a bout of fisticuffs. A couple punches to the grape can put someone down, and now you can loot their gear while they're down. Grab their weapon, or keep punching for the head and try to loot as much as you can in between KO's. Most people kill on sight, because there's no distinction between KOS dickbags and cooperative players. More to the point, unless you're organizing an event reddit or twitch or something, there's nothing to cooperate for right now.

Lastly, there's the people who will reap some small enjoyment from knowing you're mad. They are dicks. Sometimes you're just in the mood for blood.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:42 pm 
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
What motivation? Nobody knows what's on the other side of the computer. It's not uncommon for Bambis (fresh spawns) to do their best to clobber someone in a bout of fisticuffs. A couple punches to the grape can put someone down, and now you can loot their gear while they're down. Grab their weapon, or keep punching for the head and try to loot as much as you can in between KO's. Most people kill on sight, because there's no distinction between KOS dickbags and cooperative players. More to the point, unless you're organizing an event reddit or twitch or something, there's nothing to cooperate for right now.

Based on the experience I described, I think we can rule out anything other than a desire to be a dick. These guys weren't afraid I was going to clobber them. If they had good intentions they could have just stood back and left me the fuck alone--especially since I was unarmed. Also, there were two of them and they came up to me with their weapons pointed at me as if to say, "What? You want to play this game? How dare you try to enjoy this game that I, too, enjoy. You must be some type of bastard! You're dead, asshole!"

Or at least, that's what I imagine they're saying. Killing on sight is for lunatics, losers and children. :evil:

JamesCannon wrote:

Meat N' Taters wrote:

Pig wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:15 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Some men just want to watch the world burn...

Try looking for a play group, it makes it easier. I suggest using some type of third party voice chat like Teamspeak.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:19 am 

Kelvar wrote:

What is “side chat” (I can Google it if need be)?

Side chat used to be a way to communicate globally by chatting(most servers would boot you if you used voice). This was how it was done in ARMA 2/3, and the DayZ mod. You could also switch channels to "global"(meaning if there were multiple "sides" everyone saw it, not just OPFOR/BLUFOR) "Group" "Vehicle" and finally "direct".

When DayZ SA came out the developers made the decision that, in the interest of realism, side chat would be eliminated. Only "direct" chat works now(although if you and a buddy find some walkie talkies you could use that over a wider area).

I'm convinced that this was a mistake. It encourages everyone to be a little sociopath and shoot first when running into people. In the mod people would just shoot the shit in side chat which made it more likely they'd team up with someone.

When I play with friends(usually the TL Board's crowd) we use a third party VOIP so we aren't broadcasting all over the damn place and can find each other when we spawn in.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:07 pm 

Ok I just bought it off steam but ive got a problem. Of all your guys pictures, and the countless pics and videos ive seen it looks really pretty. The letters on the menus are clear and crisp...and my stuff looks like its from the early 2000s all fuzzy and pixilated and almost unreadable, the mod seems more graphically pleasing. So do I need to download something or how do I get the latest updates?

Nevermind, I fixed it. I had it set at 4:3 ratio and not 16:9, did that and changed my resolution and now its pretty good looking. Could be better but well wait until daytime...

Also...some asshat blew me away at 100m with a damn 10/22.

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next