DayZ standalone game

Discussions about Zombie training simulators such as video games, RPGs, paintball or other related simulations.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Mountainsquid
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead(Snyder), Zombieland

Re: DayZ standalone game

Post by Mountainsquid » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:29 pm

Well, I imagine after vehicles are finally implemented we'll see a uptick in Banditry since it'll make Zeds less of a concern.

Slugg
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Book of Eli
The Colony(TV Series)
I am Legend
28 series
Resident Evil series
Dawn of the Dead
The Walking Dead

Post by Slugg » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:33 pm

Mountainsquid wrote:Well, I imagine after vehicles are finally implemented we'll see a uptick in Banditry since it'll make Zeds less of a concern.
Possibly. All they would need to do is implement damage caused by zombies to vehicles. Like if you hit 3 zombies at full speed you manage to dent your frame and now the car pulls to the left reducing turn radius to the right. After 10 zombies, you managed to damage your cooling system and the air intake is full of guts. But, vehicles will greatly reduce travel time which is good. I'm glad I am in alpha, a lot of those drive through towns I'll know a lot better than the noobs who never traveled on foot through them.

About the server, Yes it would be once there are more development changes. Like private hives, that way we can make our own ZS HQ and a stead community of players. Plus we could probably mod the game to allow heroes to wear ZS clothes 8-)
The future is for those who prepare.

Chuybakka
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Deadheads, and Land of the Dead

Post by Chuybakka » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:28 am

Slugg wrote: Like private hives, that way we can make our own ZS HQ and a stead community of players. Plus we could probably mod the game to allow heroes to wear ZS clothes 8-)
All my yes on that. I can only imagine a squad of us running around healing fresh players and telling them how they should have been prepared (by playing the alpha). I think that we will see some amazing new stuff as the alpha runs its course and gets slowly turned into the beta and then the final game. But during that time we will have plenty of opportunities to work on our teamwork and tactics.
Yeah I'm the bomb. Tic, tic.

Mountainsquid

Post by Mountainsquid » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:58 pm

Any of you guys play the Breaking Point mod for ARMA 3?(Might deserve it's own thread)

I have no idea how a random mod team has implemented zombies better than the DayZ team.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:02 pm

Mountainsquid wrote:Any of you guys play the Breaking Point mod for ARMA 3?(Might deserve it's own thread)

I have no idea how a random mod team has implemented zombies better than the DayZ team.
Architecture, etc. There are things DayZ has been doing that BP hasn't, and vice versa. DayZ is also built on a modded RV2 engine (they call it RV 2.5 internally) whereas (IIRC) RV3 is the core of ARMA 3.

Soon as arma 3 drops in price a hair, i'm picking it up. I hear great things about BP.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Mountainsquid

Post by Mountainsquid » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:03 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote: Architecture, etc. There are things DayZ has been doing that BP hasn't, and vice versa. DayZ is also built on a modded RV2 engine (they call it RV 2.5 internally) whereas (IIRC) RV3 is the core of ARMA 3.

Soon as arma 3 drops in price a hair, i'm picking it up. I hear great things about BP.
Bummer, about a month back it was on sale 60% off on Steam, that's when I picked it up

We'reWolf

Post by We'reWolf » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:23 pm

so how many people play dayz a lot on here? me and fastforward play id say 5 nights a week
The ringing in your ears is the sound of your own destruction.

Chuybakka
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Deadheads, and Land of the Dead

Post by Chuybakka » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:36 pm

We'reWolf wrote:so how many people play dayz a lot on here? me and fastforward play id say 5 nights a week
I haven't been able to play for a little while but it looks like I should be able to play more in the next few days.
Yeah I'm the bomb. Tic, tic.

We'reWolf

Post by We'reWolf » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:05 pm

Chuybakka wrote:
We'reWolf wrote:so how many people play dayz a lot on here? me and fastforward play id say 5 nights a week
I haven't been able to play for a little while but it looks like I should be able to play more in the next few days.
cool we play on hardcore and regular so just let us know..
we kind of stay mostly at the berenzino area

Vel454

Post by Vel454 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:14 pm

Well, part of the joys of buying a farm and moving out to the sticks - my internet now sucks. Logging in on Dayz and ping is up in the 800-1400 range. Can't even move when logging into Battlefield. Meh...
Aut vincere aut mori...
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...
Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.

Slugg
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Book of Eli
The Colony(TV Series)
I am Legend
28 series
Resident Evil series
Dawn of the Dead
The Walking Dead

Post by Slugg » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:58 pm

We'reWolf wrote:
Chuybakka wrote:
cool we play on hardcore and regular so just let us know..
we kind of stay mostly at the berenzino area
I've seen Fastforward on a few times, but I play the opposite time as you guys usually.
The future is for those who prepare.

MoHAlixPr

Post by MoHAlixPr » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:14 pm

I'm in love with the standalone. Though I do miss how much more the mod had to offer. IMHO, the two big things the standalone needs to focus on are:
1. Overhauling zombies, need to be a threat.
2. Survival mechanics, such as boiling water, cooking food, hunting, and health and status conditions. I know this is top on their list of priorities.

Overall I'm loving it.

Mountainsquid

Post by Mountainsquid » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:16 pm

MoHAlixPr wrote:I'm in love with the standalone. Though I do miss how much more the mod had to offer. IMHO, the two big things the standalone needs to focus on are:
1. Overhauling zombies, need to be a threat.
Zombies are plenty threat for freshspawns. Just like in real life, the real threat is other players. Zombies are just the "bad weather" that can get you at a opportune time.

I haven't played the Standalone since they initially patched int the zed respawning and changed the melee mechanic for swinging axes, which was ridiculous.

I really like how they've implemented walkers in the ARMA 3 breaking point mod.

Red_Ramage

Post by Red_Ramage » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:07 am

I haven't played this in months. Have they done anything to address the really stupid game breaks like walking through walls, zombies through the floor, leg-breaking ladders, and taking thirty goddamned seconds to draw a weapon?

I want to love DayZ (and have about 150 hours into the alpha), but it's freaking frustrating to handle stuff like that. I swear I could just go licence the Source engine or Cryengine and have a spectacular zombie survival shooter within a year.
Kipling wrote:But to stand an' be still to the Birken'ead drill is a damn tough bullet to chew, An' they done it, the Jollies -- 'Er Majesty's Jollies -- soldier an' sailor too!

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:41 pm

So eh, I just got the standalone, and my reaction so far (have like 4 hrs in, died within 5m the first time, second's the rest of four hours. No firearms yet.) is "This is it?" I'm outside KOA-XO3 now, dying. Mind you, I have tons of food, ammo, a chest holster, got a coat, cargo pants, childrens briefcase, but one zed taken on with a fire extinguisher (which I'd read is one of the best melee weapons) left me bleeding, with just enough health to sprint to where I left my FAK, patch myself up... and that's it. The color is gone from my vision, and I can't heal myself anymore (Ate all my fresh food, still not energized, and when I grabbed the fire extinguisher I dropped my knife - so many spaghettios I'll never get to eat.) And now my only option is to respawn. After 3 hours running, collecting, triaging my supplies. I can't tell if it's night or I'm just close to blacking out.

I waited a year for this?

Edit: 3rd char, within 30 mins found the large pack, an axe, and 5 maps (NE, N, NW, E, S) of Chernarus. Let's do this!

(Worth it to mention I set up my own server somehow (I was a lot more drunk last night than I thought, patching and fixing and playing this and other games) so I'm all alone. No humans.)
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

We'reWolf

Post by We'reWolf » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:56 am

Dogan wrote:So eh, I just got the standalone, and my reaction so far (have like 4 hrs in, died within 5m the first time, second's the rest of four hours. No firearms yet.) is "This is it?" I'm outside KOA-XO3 now, dying. Mind you, I have tons of food, ammo, a chest holster, got a coat, cargo pants, childrens briefcase, but one zed taken on with a fire extinguisher (which I'd read is one of the best melee weapons) left me bleeding, with just enough health to sprint to where I left my FAK, patch myself up... and that's it. The color is gone from my vision, and I can't heal myself anymore (Ate all my fresh food, still not energized, and when I grabbed the fire extinguisher I dropped my knife - so many spaghettios I'll never get to eat.) And now my only option is to respawn. After 3 hours running, collecting, triaging my supplies. I can't tell if it's night or I'm just close to blacking out.

I waited a year for this?

Edit: 3rd char, within 30 mins found the large pack, an axe, and 5 maps (NE, N, NW, E, S) of Chernarus. Let's do this!

(Worth it to mention I set up my own server somehow (I was a lot more drunk last night than I thought, patching and fixing and playing this and other games) so I'm all alone. No humans.)
add me on steam ( WereWolf2007)
ill help you out we got a little group
i got some extra handguns and get you some other guns im on the north east of the map

jakemuay

Post by jakemuay » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:46 pm

I hop on Dayz from time to time. Steam username JakesBeard.
Last edited by jakemuay on Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rooster wrote:Have a plan that dosen't involve 20+ people in a stolen deuce-and-a-half full of olives and Rice Crispies.

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:00 pm

We'reWolf wrote: add me on steam ( WereWolf2007)
i got some extra handguns and get you some other guns im on the north east of the map
Thanks, I will.

Update: 5th shot at this, spawned in a meadow as the sun was setting. Ran east. Found a petrol station, with SKS. Grab it, go further east. Make my way to Svtlojarsk. Boom. Within three buildings, gas lamp, gas stove, canisters out the wazoo, gas mask, SKS bayo, tons of 357, head torch and another 9v, two canteens, and a frying pan. Oh, and a Taloon pack. Somewhere along the way find a FF axe.

Yeah, I can now feel the Skyrim-level addiction to this game building. Now I'm holed up, it's night as something about the day-night cycle glitched, and I'm realizing I need to find some friends. Cause seriously, this feels a bit too easy now.

As for steam, would it be worth it to get the DayZ mod until the standalone (BTW, the standalone should totally be called DayZ: Stand Alone.) gets it's knickers untwisted?
Last edited by Dogan on Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

We'reWolf

Post by We'reWolf » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:08 pm

im near the svetlo area

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:59 pm

Dogan wrote:
We'reWolf wrote: add me on steam ( WereWolf2007)
Thanks, I will.

Update: 5th shot at this, spawned in a meadow as the sun was setting. Ran east. Found a petrol station, with SKS. Grab it, go further east. Make my way to Svtlojarsk. Boom. Within three buildings, gas lamp, gas stove, canisters out the wazoo, gas mask, SKS bayo, tons of 357, head torch and another 9v, two canteens, and a frying pan. Oh, and a Taloon pack. Somewhere along the way find a FF axe.

Yeah, I can now feel the Skyrim-level addiction to this game building. Now I'm holed up, it's night as something about the day-night cycle glitched, and I'm realizing I need to find some friends. Cause seriously, this feels a bit too easy now.

As for steam, would it be worth it to get the DayZ mod until the standalone (BTW, the standalone should totally be called DayZ: Stand Alone.) gets it's knickers untwisted?
I would say no. the mod has jumped the shark. if you like arms, there are some similar kids for ARMA 3 that are solid.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Mountainsquid

Post by Mountainsquid » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:03 pm

Anyone played the standalone since the the latest patch? It wiped all the characters and implemented weather/temperature affecting you adversely.

When I logged in it spawned me at Elektro in the middle of the night,with a "you are cooling off promptly". I ran to some houses overlooking the town, found a wool coat which warmed me up, and after I stepped outside some dude with a voice modulator(who I don't see) goes

"Do you believe in God?"

"...Sure?"

"Then perhaps he'll meet you!"

*Blam*

Fucking DayZ man.

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:47 pm

My father always warned me against going to the sea, when I was young, comfortable in England.

He had told me "Alex, in a few years you'll start law school. Work hard, get good grades, run a respectable practice, and you can retire in your fifties, as I have." But no. I wanted nothing but the sea. The sea seemed so romantic, a watery bridge between our island and anywhere in the world. My father, my mother, my friends, none of them would have it. So I ran away, and as soon as I found the docks, signed up with a Russian freighter, the Rify. I was sixteen.

Two years later, as were returning to Guba, all our radio feeds died. Slowly, one by one, they'd go off the air, replaced by a smooth, existential hum. Zelenogorsk had been hit first, the beginning of Chernarus' end. The authorities had quarantined it, but with so many living bodies trapped in such a small area... the initial barriers were soon breached, and then the quarantine had moved, encircling much of Western Chernarus, from Pavlovo north to the air field, from just west of Vishnoye to just east of Myshinko. The mission changed; people were evacuated from the zone, checkpoints established, Chernarus' soldiers, police and medical personnel holding the line, trying to keep the infection contained. But with Zeleno compromised, the zeds moved south east and north, overrunning the new zone and streaking for the airfield. A desperate line was formed and, briefly, held between Sosnovka and Pogorevka, a few battalions able to buy time for the airfield and complete the evacuation. No one from the line got out.

I thought of none of this, when I woke up, cold, wet, hungry somewhere on the Eastern coast. After the radio went down to the mainland, so had our navigation, and a storm blew the ship off course. It struck land just south of Guba, breaking up on the point. The order had been given minutes before to abandon ship, and the crew piled into our rickety, poorly maintained lifeboats. I don't know how many even made it to shore.

Airfield. The only way out of here now. No ships, all the cars I see are ruined. I have to make it to the airfield.

I realized today that the evac failed. I was coming around the point near Skalisty when I saw them. There was just a pile of bodies, an unburied mass grave, picked at by flies, bears, wolves, birds. Eyes all gone, bone showing through. I... think I might be the last man alive in all of Chernarus.

Electro, Cherno, what happened to you? I remember coming to you when the Rify was in port, going to the clubs, the cafes, visiting friends in the cities. I remember how the corner cafes would echo with the sounds of friends and lovers. Now, it is all silent, except for my own footsteps.

Balota. Twenty kilometers later, crawling through forests, dead cities, empty houses and ghostly, quiet highways, I've reached you.

At this point, I've gotta break character because SWEET BABY JESUS I ACTUALLY SURVIVED A NIGHT! I'm also pretty much fully kitted. Dual medkits, one "light" with bandages and purification tabs, the other "heavy" with two saline IV's, morphine and epi pen. Two canteens, two full bags of rice, a gas lamp with canister, two head torches (one equipped, the other is "pristine" and kept in my bag.)

Ammo box with 80 rds each of 7.62x39, 9mm and .45 as well as 25 rds 12g. Got an AK with three mags and PSO scope, sawed off 12g, FNX45 with light, two mags, RDS. CR75 with light, two mags... Hell, here's some screencaps:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 5928_o.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 1508_o.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 0659_o.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 8086_o.jpg

Mountainsquid

Post by Mountainsquid » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:49 am

Why do you have two pistols?

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:02 am

Mountainsquid wrote:Why do you have two pistols?
3 by my definition, including the sawed off. Ammo versatility, but honestly there's plenty of ammo, and I've since dropped the CZ75 and sawed off since I have the FNX w/RDS and light (Dropped the nonfunctioning suppressor too). To be honest, when I find the rail section for the AKM and mount a light on it, I'll probably drop the FNX too as I'd rather use that 4 slots for a small protector case with my more critical items in it like spare headlamp and gas lamp. Hope to find both rail and case as I make my way from Balota to NWAF by way of all the military bases.

I also really wish you could use duct tape to repair raincoats, wellies, and to tape weapons lights to firearms without a rail, perhaps in exchange for some wobbling or a little bit of damage to the light each time you fire?

Return to “Zombie Survival/Combat Simulations”