DayZ standalone game

Discussions about Zombie training simulators such as video games, RPGs, paintball or other related simulations.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Vel454

Re: DayZ standalone game

Post by Vel454 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:26 pm

Couldn't wait to get moved into our house and get our desktop out of storage, so decided to download it on the laptop and play around with it a bit. On bare minimum graphics I can get by, definitely not interested in trying to get in any firefights yet, as I'd likely die before they show up on the screen. But I've been having fun running around the map, gathering gear and such. I think I'm mostly excited for what the game can become in time (nevermind running it on a proper computer). I've seen some of the footage of the original dayz mod and can't really say I like the idea of helicopters and stuff. But being able to build your own forts, set up camps, and just having a more solid all-around game definitely intrigues me. The huge open world and perma death style game play is my type of game!

I've definitely noticed that getting started is super tough. I haven't died from a person yet, but died 3-4 times from a zombie in my first 20-30 minutes with each character. After finding a fireman's axe, it's really opened the world up and lifted the 'I gotta hide from everything!' feeling. I think I've had around two dozen zombie encounters, one with 4 of them, and I haven't even had a bleed yet on this current char. :shock: Still looking for a hunters pack, and a good gun (just have a double rifle and 2 bullets right now), but have tons of food and bandages. I have some water, but can't figure out how to refill my canteen without a scroll wheel mouse (and my little slider on my laptop doesn't seem to function). We'll see what happens. For now, it's sticking to near empty servers and exploring.
Aut vincere aut mori...
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...
Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.

Mountainsquid
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead(Snyder), Zombieland

Post by Mountainsquid » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:44 pm

Vel454 wrote: (just have a double rifle and 2 bullets right now),

Well that's twice as many bullets you need in a actual zombie apocalypse anyway. :awesome:

Yeah, it can be tough starting out, especially if it's on a mostly empty server so none of the zombies have been cleared out by other players. The flip-side to that, of course, is that in a populated server you have to worry about other players and loot spawns being emptied out.

Vel454

Post by Vel454 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:27 am

Agreed. I think the weak link in the game, if there is one (in terms of playability experience/quality) is if you find a fireman's axe early on, you can handle pretty much any zombie issue without much problem, than the only thing you need to worry about is people and finding supplies. It's fine having a strong weapon like that, but perhaps it shouldn't spawn anywhere near the shore/newbie spawn points. Maybe I'm being a bit tough on it, but I went from dying 3 times in a short time due to zombies, to finding the axe and like a switch, didn't have to worry about 2-3 zombies anymore. Little OP for early game, IMO.

I dropped the double rifle and picked up a pristine Mozen. No attachments for it yet. Got a tactical vest, camo shirt and some other goodies. Sporting the largest pack in green (would rather the smaller hunter pack, but haven't found one yet.) Flat green biker helmet seems best so far.

Made my way up through berezino to the NE airfield and am floating my way westward. We'll see what happens. :)
Aut vincere aut mori...

Mountainsquid

Post by Mountainsquid » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:20 am

Vel454 wrote:
I dropped the double rifle and picked up a pristine Mozen. No attachments for it yet. Got a tactical vest, camo shirt and some other goodies. Sporting the largest pack in green (would rather the smaller hunter pack, but haven't found one yet.) Flat green biker helmet seems best so far.

Made my way up through berezino to the NE airfield and am floating my way westward. We'll see what happens. :)
My other guy who had a fully kitted out M4 and Tskko pants/shirts died...now it's Hunting pants and SKS for me.

(Incidentally, that's me heading from the NE Airfield to Svartojlisk or however the hell it's spelled).

I logged into a server that had three people on it and the NEAF had been looted, the city right outside of it had been looted...and so had much of Svarto. And it was on a "server reboots every 2hrs" server. At one point I heard someone on the floor above me in a and high-tailed it out of there. PEOPLE ARE THE ENEMY.

Das Sheep

Post by Das Sheep » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:55 am

Vel454 wrote:Agreed. I think the weak link in the game, if there is one (in terms of playability experience/quality) is if you find a fireman's axe early on, you can handle pretty much any zombie issue without much problem, than the only thing you need to worry about is people and finding supplies.
While I like that it has Zombies, I think DayZ would still be a fun and awesome game without them. I don't want them removed, of course, but I think that later, once you get that axe or a gun, the real threat becomes players and where your next tin of beans is coming from.

The zombies are a threat only if you are not careful and paying attention. Kyle on the hill 600 meters away in full camo laying down in the tall grass is a much greater threat, because you might have a sweat bottle of dirty water and some cheesy zips and you know how Kyle likes cheesy zips. Looking out that window was a bad idea.

Thats what makes Dayz fun, the constant sense of danger. Everyone you meet is dangerous.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:38 am

Das Sheep wrote:
Vel454 wrote:Agreed. I think the weak link in the game, if there is one (in terms of playability experience/quality) is if you find a fireman's axe early on, you can handle pretty much any zombie issue without much problem, than the only thing you need to worry about is people and finding supplies.
While I like that it has Zombies, I think DayZ would still be a fun and awesome game without them. I don't want them removed, of course, but I think that later, once you get that axe or a gun, the real threat becomes players and where your next tin of beans is coming from.

The zombies are a threat only if you are not careful and paying attention. Kyle on the hill 600 meters away in full camo laying down in the tall grass is a much greater threat, because you might have a sweat bottle of dirty water and some cheesy zips and you know how Kyle likes cheesy zips. Looking out that window was a bad idea.

Thats what makes Dayz fun, the constant sense of danger. Everyone you meet is dangerous.
The DayZ forums and subreddit have the dev team pretty active. While it's hard to say what will and won't happen, they're saying they are aiming for 150-150 man servers (initially talked about 400-1000, but there's dount as to whether the tech can support it) and have at least 10x the number of zombies on the map. Loot and zeds should also respawn as soon as they get that working smoothly, which will make zombies more of a threat. Basically they've tweaked things a bit so that it's more like The Most Dangerous Game But With Zombies while they work out some of the major issues.

Remarkably playable for an Alpha build, though.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Vel454

Post by Vel454 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:03 pm

I agree that the game would still be a lot of fun without zombies and that fellow players will always be the biggest threat. Having a zombie agro on you from 200 yards away is tough to handle as a new spawn with no real weapons. I died multiple times starting out, with each life only lasting a short while. One of them, I died trying to loot my first house. And frankly - I think that's the way it should be. It's challenging, it's tough, and it's great. The problem is how they'll balance out those dangers in the future. Get a fireman's axe? Virtually zero threat from zombies that two seconds ago would have a high chance of killing you.

High population servers (400-1000 like you said) would be a nightmare I think, in terms of sticking with the 'feel' of the game. Running around a server with even just 8-10 people, and you can be in some remote area, but still think... "are one of those people watching this field?" and it's spooky and fun. I think if you were to increase the population to even 1 person for every ~5 sq km it would be about on the line between the spooky unknown survival game and turning it into a slow-paced combat game. Some areas of course would still be pretty sparse, some would have high population centers. But if you got up to like 1 person per 2 sq km of area, you'd start to see a lot of people getting killed just managing their inventory while hiding in the woods some where.

Anyway, I agree and have fallen in love with the constant danger feeling your talking about. I do think too many players on the server would make it feel much more like a combat game vs survival. You'll see a lot more people camping too. Kyle up on the hill with 150-200 people running around the server knows that before too long, someone should be running by. 30-50 people? He might not camp as much because he'll get bored. For the other players, it will add to the uncertainty of the whole game and I think enhance it.

I would like to see zombie hordes or different types of zombies in the more inland ("higher level") areas in the future. State of Decay had the cool (and a bit realistic) idea of zombies wearing police riot gear, which would certainly be a possibility sense police riot forces would likely hit the streets during an outbreak to control the issue. Anyway, point being, having tougher to kill zombies in higher level areas to still make them a threat. Plus a bit higher population would mean you'd be even more nervous about making much noise when dealing with the issue. Zombie hordes of slow-roaming of maybe 10-20 would be cool too. Hiding and waiting for them to pass without seeing you would be about the best option, and again, add some pucker factor to the game.
Aut vincere aut mori...

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:09 pm

The end game is supposed to feature base-building and more persistence. It will slowly look more and more like an MMO and less like bullet tag with zombies. Trying to get some serious zedblasting time with a bitg group this weekend, and I haven't played in a few weeks. if you see one idjit running full-sprint with a DayGlo rain slicker, check the treeline before shooting. It's probably me, and there's probably a bunch of M4s and Mosins using me as sniper bait.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Vel454

Post by Vel454 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:16 pm

Base building would be cool as would the move to an MMO (just what I need after getting away from 4 years of Lineage 2 lol). And nah, I haven't shot anyone yet, KOS isn't my style anyway.
Aut vincere aut mori...

Vel454

Post by Vel454 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:38 pm

Ahh man, wtf. I just hopped in the game, took forever for the server to load up, by the time I got in the server had a large amount of players, so decided to swap to something less populated. Spawned into next server as NEW CHAR... Lost everything for no reason, damn. Gotta love alpha, eh? :rofl:
Aut vincere aut mori...

Das Sheep

Post by Das Sheep » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:47 pm

Vel454 wrote:Ahh man, wtf. I just hopped in the game, took forever for the server to load up, by the time I got in the server had a large amount of players, so decided to swap to something less populated. Spawned into next server as NEW CHAR... Lost everything for no reason, damn. Gotta love alpha, eh? :rofl:
Yeah you loose everything often enough. Sometimes to a glitch, sometimes to Randal and his Mosin half the map away.

Vel454

Post by Vel454 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:48 pm

Weird twist. I logged out after playing with the new char for a few minutes, ate dinner than came back and logged in, selected a new server and joined. When I spawned into the game, I had my old char again, same gear, and same location I had him last. :ooh: Nice to have my stuff back, but weird as glitch.
Aut vincere aut mori...

Red_Ramage

Post by Red_Ramage » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:11 am

Vel454 wrote:Weird twist. I logged out after playing with the new char for a few minutes, ate dinner than came back and logged in, selected a new server and joined. When I spawned into the game, I had my old char again, same gear, and same location I had him last. :ooh: Nice to have my stuff back, but weird as glitch.
Not a glitch. There are two game modes hosted on two different "hives": Regular and Hardcore. Right now, I think the only difference between the two is that you can't use 3rd person perspective in hardcore mode. You will have two different characters, on on each hive.
Vel454 wrote:Base building would be cool as would the move to an MMO (just what I need after getting away from 4 years of Lineage 2 lol). And nah, I haven't shot anyone yet, KOS isn't my style anyway.
KOS isn't my style either, but getting geared and healthy is laughibly easy at this point so all that's left to do is play cawwadooty: chernaus. Every time I try to do something fun, all I get are bullets to the face. I dressed in orange hardhat, orange raincoat, dust mask, work clothes, no weapons, and ran around as a member of the Chernaus Health and Safety Association, warning people about the dangers of ladders and zombies. All I got was shot. I ran up and down the train tracks, broadcasting train noises over my mic - all I got was shot. Loaded up on medical supplies and played as a doctor running around healing the wounded, pew pew URDED. It's like nobody who plays this game knows what fun is.

So, I've been reduced to team deathmatch: Elektro. It's also fun to spray disinfectant on fresh fruit and wait for people to poison themselves with it. Also fun to play a gear-less newbie with a gun concealed in pants to get the drop on bandits. Also fun to hold people up at gunpoint and force-feed them beans until they vomit.
Kipling wrote:But to stand an' be still to the Birken'ead drill is a damn tough bullet to chew, An' they done it, the Jollies -- 'Er Majesty's Jollies -- soldier an' sailor too!

Mountainsquid

Post by Mountainsquid » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:51 am

Today I decided to try to do land-nav on a highly populated server, the goal was to transit between NEAF and NWAF(actually the edge of the woods by the both of them) without being spotted. I noticed, to my surprise, that even on populated servers people still use the roads to move around instead of the compass and map...which seems insanely dangerous to me.

Might try a nighttime land-nav next.

If I can figure out how to get my headlamp to work.

Vel454

Post by Vel454 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:24 pm

I have a compass that I use to find direction, and just use a map I pulled off Google. Have gotten lost a couple times, but usually am ok. I'm around the NEAF right now.
Aut vincere aut mori...

Mountainsquid

Post by Mountainsquid » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:47 am

So, just now, I was on a server that had 3 people on it. I was walking up to the base south of NWAF, saw that all the barracks doors were empty. Sat by the wall and I noticed a guy walking out. I decided to change up my play style a bit by calling out to him. Dude turned out to be East European or somesomething, when I tried Text chat it wasn't much better because it was in Cyrillic.

Anyway, he wanted me to follow him to the NWAF. What the hey, this might be interesting. Nevermind that this is obviously a trap and the only two other people on the server have the same clan tags. We got up to Vybor, I stopped to drink a canteen by a warehouse, he stopped to. I used the 3PP view to see his buddy walking along the warehouse wall with his pistol drawn. Right as he rounded the corner I stepped back into the warehouse and he shot his buddy instead of me. Took off running, dude managed to nick me. His buddy was screaming "FUCK YOU FUCK YOU" in his Russki accent. Rounded a factory, crawled up a ladder, and bandaged myself while lying prone on the roof. I could see the buddy with the pistol moving around below me, and eventually he ran back to the warehouse, either to loot his buddy's corpse or make sure I hadn't turned around to finish him off if he was still alive. Decided to log out at that point.

Freakin' PEOPLE man.

Vel454

Post by Vel454 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:01 am

Crazy man. Don't forget that they added the 30 second 'lag' for signing out now, so be careful logging out when you still have people about.

I got on last night, had 2 other people on the server and started looting the NE air base and thought I heard something at one point, but couldn't really tell. I continued looting after a few moments, went through 2 of the buildings and got to the watch tower, went up to the glass room (not on top of it) and as I was looking around up there, somebody opened up on me with an M4 from the stairs. I didn't hear any footsteps or anything before hand. :rofl:
Aut vincere aut mori...

Mountainsquid

Post by Mountainsquid » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:00 pm

Vel454 wrote:Crazy man. Don't forget that they added the 30 second 'lag' for signing out now, so be careful logging out when you still have people about.
Yup, I was waiting until he had ran off before I did that. I logged back in, it seems I've lost enough health that everything is blurry right now and of course you can't apply a saline bag to yourself, so...
I got on last night, had 2 other people on the server and started looting the NE air base and thought I heard something at one point, but couldn't really tell. I continued looting after a few moments, went through 2 of the buildings and got to the watch tower, went up to the glass room (not on top of it) and as I was looking around up there, somebody opened up on me with an M4 from the stairs. I didn't hear any footsteps or anything before hand. :rofl:

PEOPLE ARE THE ENEMY.

We'reWolf

Post by We'reWolf » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:36 am

http://www.twitch.tv/iruncities" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
my stream of dayZ or BF4
The ringing in your ears is the sound of your own destruction.

Mountainsquid

Post by Mountainsquid » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:43 am

We'reWolf wrote:http://www.twitch.tv/iruncities
my stream of dayZ or BF4
The Zombies are about 10x the trouble they were before since the patch. They respawn now(although I'm not too sure if it's every few minutes or after they were killed), insta-bleed when they hit you, and you have to put the axe up before you swing, meaning you can't swing/dodge/weave like before. And they can see you from 1000ft away, it seems, while still having that clipping through walls bug. NWAF was more trouble then it should have been, went through a lot of .357mag and 7.62x39mm. When they increase the total numbers eventually I'm going to go ahead and predict that major cities are going to require teams in order to survive in.

Glad to see that the Quonset hut-barracks in the military areas are spawning loot now, although they haven't fixed the "no loot in tents" problem.

Slugg
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Book of Eli
The Colony(TV Series)
I am Legend
28 series
Resident Evil series
Dawn of the Dead
The Walking Dead

Post by Slugg » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:01 pm

You know, I was just thinking. There are a lot of players on the DayZ game who probably have similar interest to ZS. Do you think any of our ZS members would be interested in splitting up the cost of a DayZ server? We would title the server Zombie Squad and put in the load in Zombiehunters.org Unfortunately for a 30 slot server it's $50+ but I'd be willing to do like a $10 monthly with 4 other guys. 40 slot servers are around $90 So if we got 6 people willing to do $15 a month or something we could have a max server.
The future is for those who prepare.

Chuybakka
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Deadheads, and Land of the Dead

Post by Chuybakka » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:07 pm

I just downloaded the alpha and I am really looking forward to playing it and maybe playing with some of you as well. I have experience with the original mod, though I haven't played in quite some time. Feel free to add me. My steam tag is "chuybakka" and I'm usually free to play at any time. My free time is the benefit/curse of being a student between semesters.
I never shoot first, sadly I'm not cool enough to be Han Solo.
Yeah I'm the bomb. Tic, tic.

Mountainsquid

Post by Mountainsquid » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:17 pm

Slugg wrote:You know, I was just thinking. There are a lot of players on the DayZ game who probably have similar interest to ZS. Do you think any of our ZS members would be interested in splitting up the cost of a DayZ server? We would title the server Zombie Squad and put in the load in Zombiehunters.org Unfortunately for a 30 slot server it's $50+ but I'd be willing to do like a $10 monthly with 4 other guys. 40 slot servers are around $90 So if we got 6 people willing to do $15 a month or something we could have a max server.

Honestly, at the moment there are enough semi-empty servers that we probably don't need our own.

Maybe when private hives are implemented and basebuilding and such it would make more sense.

I'm liking that the new zombies mean they aggro whenever someone is nearby, I was in the ATC at NWAF and notice a bunch of them heading towards one of the prisons by the industrial area. I ended up popping a bunch with my SKS/PU scope combo to save the survivor. It was one of the rare times when I encountered someone and they didn't end up trying to kill me. Glad I decided against sniping them, I really was considering it.

Chuybakka
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Deadheads, and Land of the Dead

Post by Chuybakka » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:42 pm

When ever the zombies are a threat there is less KoS and PvP that goes on. But when the zombies are less of a threat the bandits come out of the woodwork. Right now with the increase in zombie speed I think we will encounter more friendly players. Or at least players that appear friendly.
Yeah I'm the bomb. Tic, tic.

Return to “Zombie Survival/Combat Simulations”