DayZ standalone game

Discussions about Zombie training simulators such as video games, RPGs, paintball or other related simulations.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Das Sheep

Re: DayZ standalone game

Post by Das Sheep » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:05 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:Just picked this up. Praying it doesn't disappoint. Server or guide recommendations would be appreciated.

Advice:

Start on a low population server.

Here is a map of the island:

http://dayzdb.com/map/chernarusplus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Head to the coastal airstrip. You will probably be able to pick up an M4, some ammo, and maybe a backpack.

There is an abandoned military camp south of there that will also have stuff, probably ammo but not weapons.

After that head east to the big city (Cherno) and look for food and stuff.

You should keep an axe because you can open cans with those (you can also open them with a can opener).

More than one canteen is a good idea.

On the map it also shows you were you can find pump wells. You can drink water there until you are fully hydrated and feel up your canteens and water bottles.

Don't trust anyone. Its best to run or shoot on sight. Some people will be friendly because their friend is sneaking up on you, or they want to get within melee range and axe you. Trust no one. Except maybe friends you play the game with.

You can get a headlamp or gun light (you need a quad rail for your m4 to use it on the M4) which allows you to have a gun and flashlight out at the same time.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:02 pm

First spawn, didn't realize I could change my character model. Ended up female and ran with it. Nicknamed her "Naomi" and went to work.

3 zeds with a bayonet in hand, 2 with an FNX, 2 with a Mosin, and a handful with the axe and an M4. Running a RIS with light and bipod, Troy BattleAxe stock, a handful of mags, and replaced my irons with a compact BUIS which takes up less inventory. We lucked out and the server reset while we were looting one area, so mags and ammo were abundant.

Have to say that while I do admit to having already fictionalized my experience into a "survivor's diary" that I shall someday put on tumblr or something, some of the reddit players seem to want to turn it into SecondLife. There needs to be a line, and while I will not claim to be the sole arbiter, I think complaining that people shouldn't have the option of having a second or third character (so you could have one for playing with a group, another for soloing, etc) because "they won't be invested enough in their character" is over the line. Concerns about farming, etc? Okay. I shouldn't have a second character slot so I can solo while the guys I play with because I need to be more invested in my character? How much more invested can you get than permadeath?

Looking forward to seeing how this evolves.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Sckitzo
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (org)

Post by Sckitzo » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:35 pm

I really hope they add in character slots. Even if they put something like a 30min timer on it. I guess there is chatter about it on the dev forums, but I don't know if Rocket is seriously considering it or not.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:47 pm

The big debates circle around server hopping (which is shitty, because you can hop to a mostly empty server when it resets and raid balota or one of the other loot spots) and the aforementioned fear that other players might not be invested enough in their characters.

I'm all for multiple characters. 30 minute delay would be decent. Alternatively, one character per server, which would prevent you from hopping on a previously-well-populated server to find nobody there, because nobody with decent kit would want to hop and lose their shit.

Whatever happens, I want to be able to solo and not worry about beign 5km from my group, or dying all alone because I felt like racking up some murderdeathkills on the coast.

Das Sheep

Post by Das Sheep » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:23 pm

I don't get wanting several characters in a game where death is for ever either. I wish the stand alone was on a map about 10 times as big as it is with perhaps a population limit of maybe 1000 and characters saved to a server. That would invest people in a server and make it so that the smaller number of area's with good stuff are not so populous. All I wanted was some Tuna Cheno, just some Tuna.

In the original mod the banditry got really bad near the end.

Later there will probably be more zombies as well.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:28 pm

Das Sheep wrote:I don't get wanting several characters in a game where death is for ever either. I wish the stand alone was on a map about 10 times as big as it is with perhaps a population limit of maybe 1000 and characters saved to a server. That would invest people in a server and make it so that the smaller number of area's with good stuff are not so populous. All I wanted was some Tuna Cheno, just some Tuna.

In the original mod the banditry got really bad near the end.

Later there will probably be more zombies as well.
Rocket has mentioned those numbers specifically. Code and servers' ability to handle those numbers are the limiting factor. The loot list and spawns are also off balance right now. It's a damn alpha, shit's slowly getting unfucked.

Personally I want to be able to have a solo character as well as a "main" for the reasons I mentioned. With permadeath and slow movement, there is 0 incentive for me to play when my group is offline.

Fastforward

Post by Fastforward » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:14 am

I just got the game the other night. None of my friends play so I thought to myself hey I wonder if there's a thread on zs... So far I like it. I just got a mosin in my current life as the first gun I've ever found. Haven't even shot it yet :lol: If you guys want to try and put a team together or something I'm down.

airmandan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by airmandan » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:22 am

Fastforward wrote: If you guys want to try and put a team together or something I'm down.
I'm game.

Fastforward

Post by Fastforward » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:01 am

What timezone are you in? Your location says your out of country man.
Skype me at alex-newberry

We'reWolf

Post by We'reWolf » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:43 pm

just bought it but i gotta go to work so won't be on until later
The ringing in your ears is the sound of your own destruction.

Fastforward

Post by Fastforward » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:37 pm

It looks like you have to be friends on steam to see which server people are on. my steam name is fastforward88

We'reWolf

Post by We'reWolf » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:15 pm

So I guess my comp can't really run it.. so going to need to upgrade graphics card and processor if I can

KentsOkay
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by KentsOkay » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:19 am

Just downloaded the SA, played with FF88 the other night. We where meeting up at Balota and some how mis-communicated on who saw who. Totally walked right up to a guy, saluted him, then found out it wasn't FF88 when he shook my hand with an axe.

Yay me...
0122358 wrote:so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Unofficial FB for ZSC XXX http://www.facebook.com/groups/156431031119773

derf26
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by derf26 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:18 am

Yay! Glad to see there are people here playing - I just got the alpha yesterday and am so far very happy with it. This is probably the most realistic zombie survival game I've ever seen (e.g. the way blood transfusions are done and the need for compatible blood types is awesome), and it's still in alpha!

Anyway, my steam name is "Nomex" so if anyone wants to team up, just add me. I always play as friendly (though that doesn't stop some people from trying to kill me).

Today I finally found ammo for my M4, but I was low on health and hadn't yet figured out that you needed to eat a ton of food to start healing. I ran into a guy in a barn - he was armed with only a screwdriver. I shouted "friendly!" over the voice comm and he waved. Then I asked if he knew whether there was a hospital nearby, and he charged at me with his screwdriver - stabbing into the air as he ran at me! I had to unload my entire magazine into him. Thankfully I put him down before he reached me - I guess you shouldn't give away your health status to strangers! The next hour was tough though - no ammo and low health.

Anyway, I'm pretty far inland, somewhat east of the big northern airfield. I now have two defibrilators, and a box full of ammo :)
"Nobody panics when things go according to plan, even if the plan is horrifying."
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."

We'reWolf

Post by We'reWolf » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:29 pm

my steam name is WereWolf2007

derf26
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by derf26 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:41 am

All my first characters died pretty quickly, but now that I got the hang of the game my latest character has been alive for a loong time (by usual DayZ standards). I've been all over the map, including the airfield up north. Here's what he looked like yesterday.

I've also found a .357 revolver and 20 rounds of ammo, which I will give away to the first person who finds me (I don't really need two sidearms). Oh, I also have a Saline/IV kit - so I can heal people too :D

My thoughts are that what will really change the dynamics in this game are vast numbers of zombies. Right now, zombies are not a real threat at all, and are very rare. What we need are:
1. Zombies everywhere (especially urban areas).
2. Wandering zombie hordes.
3. Zombies indoors.
4. Barricading indoors to survive hordes.

This will change everything, because now:
People will need to cooperate a lot more just to survive. Right now you can basically go around killing players and your survival chances aren't greatly affected, but when you need to form groups spontaneously to deal with serious zombie threats, there will be less KOS nonsense - especially when unnecessary gunfire will attract the attention of any nearby hordes, and fewer people will want to waste ammo killing other players, especially new spawns, because you'll need those bullets to deal with the zombies once you've been spotted.
"Nobody panics when things go according to plan, even if the plan is horrifying."
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."

Fastforward

Post by Fastforward » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:21 am

Hey derf I added you but I was confused so asked if I knew you. hours later here I am "Oh yeah I posted my name on that thread". I like the blood type realism also. My current character is O- sucks for me but good for yall haha

derf26
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by derf26 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:50 am

Mine's AB+ so I can selfishly take anyone's blood :clap:

We'reWolf

Post by We'reWolf » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:46 am

hey nomax, fastforward and i had a pretty successful day.. we both got m4's but no ammo :(

derf26
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by derf26 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:39 pm

Oh sweet! I can probably share a few rounds :)

Check this video out. In it, the guy and his gang "declare martial law", assault/handcuff people, and then end up murdering several innocent people (not in self-defense), many of them unarmed, all while calling themselves "anti-bandit heroes". Some people have a pretty sick sense of morality, and it really shows in games like this. It's one thing to just be a bandit and kill people in a game for loot or for fun, but in my mind it's quite a lot worse to do the same stuff all while calling your actions heroic. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VapuHrYt95U" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:46 pm

derf26 wrote:Oh sweet! I can probably share a few rounds :)

Check this video out. In it, the guy and his gang "declare martial law", assault/handcuff people, and then end up murdering several innocent people (not in self-defense), many of them unarmed, all while calling themselves "anti-bandit heroes". Some people have a pretty sick sense of morality, and it really shows in games like this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VapuHrYt95U" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I disagree. I merc'd several metaphorical bitches while playing (killed on sight) because I was decently kitted out and going to meet someone. I had no time to play friend or foe. That says nothing about how I act in reality, because this is a game. The biggest consequence to my actions is someone has to start over.

Not to mention some people get enjoyment out of playing the spoiler. There's also the issue that there is NOTHING TO DO in the Alpha except get geared up, hunt for food/water, and shoot people or zombies, and the zombies get pretty boring pretty quickly. Doesn't leave much else to do but be a bandit or be a bandit hunter.

This game is no more demonstrative of the "evil lurking within man" that everyone makes it out to be than the sales of GTA V are demonstrative of everyone's innate desire to be a psychopathic career criminal. Video games are designed to let you live out another life sans consequence. That doesn't mean that the only thing keeping people from living out DayZ IRL is the lack of zombies.

derf26
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by derf26 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:06 pm

Uhm, I think we have a misunderstanding - I wasn't criticizing him for his banditry (and so by extension I wasn't judging you either), as I said in my comment on his Youtube video, bandits are a necessary part of the game. What I was criticizing was him being a bandit while sitting on a moral high-horse. That's what pissed me off. It's the fact that he kills innocent and unarmed people and then goes around calling himself a "hero". His words, not mine.

He was making himself out to be this heroic anti-bandit guy when actually he's as much a bandit as anyone else, except at least they have the honesty to call what they do banditry. All I was doing was applying his own standards to his own actions.

edit: And yes - this kind of double standard does carry out into real life. A lot of people do bad stuff while thinking they're actually doing something good. If this guy doesn't realize that killing unarmed and peacefully armed people is in violation with his own professed aim of being a hero, then this is likely something that goes on in his life elsewhere, not just in games (though obviously not in life and death matters). I was not however trying to say that just because you kill people in a video game you will kill them in real life.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:30 pm

derf26 wrote:Uhm, I think we have a misunderstanding - I wasn't criticizing him for his banditry (and so by extension I wasn't judging you either), as I said in my comment on his Youtube video, bandits are a necessary part of the game. What I was criticizing was him being a bandit while sitting on a moral high-horse. That's what pissed me off. It's the fact that he kills innocent and unarmed people and then goes around calling himself a "hero". His words, not mine.

He was making himself out to be this heroic anti-bandit guy when actually he's as much a bandit as anyone else, except at least they have the honesty to call what they do banditry. All I was doing was applying his own standards to his own actions.

edit: And yes - this kind of double standard does carry out into real life. A lot of people do bad stuff while thinking they're actually doing something good. If this guy doesn't realize that killing unarmed and peacefully armed people is in violation with his own professed aim of being a hero, then this is likely something that goes on in his life elsewhere, not just in games (though obviously not in life and death matters). I was not however trying to say that just because you kill people in a video game you will kill them in real life.
I don't want to rag this further off topic with discussions of morality, but if you want to see a window into the soul, follow the report of a horrific crime and watch how quickly people will justify the heinous torture of another human in retribution. I think we've come to an understanding.

I'm personally going to take a bit of a break. Been Bambi'd one too many times. Can't get my hands on a Mosin to save my life, and I have a feeling if I do get another gat, I'm just gonna end up killing everyone I see.

I look forward to gettign things smoothed out. More zombies, more spawns (people and gear) and with luck, vehicles. When we get vehicles....I shall become the March Rider, and we shall hutn down the Road Warrior and his ilk.

In the mean time, I'll be surpriosed if we don't see the rise of some good RP clans to kill the boredom.

Tobias05
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: "The Walking Dead" on AMC

Post by Tobias05 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:45 pm

3 and a half hours and I haven't come across a firearm yet. Can't hit a zombie with an axe or bat to save my life.

Return to “Zombie Survival/Combat Simulations”