DayZ standalone game

Discussions about Zombie training simulators such as video games, RPGs, paintball or other related simulations.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

We'reWolf

Re: DayZ standalone game

Post by We'reWolf » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:52 am

Tobias05 wrote:3 and a half hours and I haven't come across a firearm yet. Can't hit a zombie with an axe or bat to save my life.
if your looking for guns try the military bases, or maybe cherno ( but theres always lots of people there).
fire axe is a 1 hit kill so look for that..
The ringing in your ears is the sound of your own destruction.

derf26
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by derf26 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:27 pm

Following a DDoS attack this morning, my character has been reset and is now at the beach with nothing... I had so many guns, magazines, and rounds of ammo. I even had two full saline bags (they can restore full health) and a defibrilator. Bleh... If I had at least died in a firefight....
"Nobody panics when things go according to plan, even if the plan is horrifying."
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."

We'reWolf

Post by We'reWolf » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:50 am

derf26 wrote:Following a DDoS attack this morning, my character has been reset and is now at the beach with nothing... I had so many guns, magazines, and rounds of ammo. I even had two full saline bags (they can restore full health) and a defibrilator. Bleh... If I had at least died in a firefight....
I am near the military base and i have an extra pistol ( but no ammo its a .357) but i can try and pick up an m4 or other gear when i get a chance to actually play.

derf26
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by derf26 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:05 pm

We'reWolf wrote:
derf26 wrote:Following a DDoS attack this morning, my character has been reset and is now at the beach with nothing... I had so many guns, magazines, and rounds of ammo. I even had two full saline bags (they can restore full health) and a defibrilator. Bleh... If I had at least died in a firefight....
I am near the military base and i have an extra pistol ( but no ammo its a .357) but i can try and pick up an m4 or other gear when i get a chance to actually play.
That would be cool. I've since played (and died horribly) a few more times :P
"Nobody panics when things go according to plan, even if the plan is horrifying."
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."

We'reWolf

Post by We'reWolf » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:42 pm

anyone on?

Tobias05
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: "The Walking Dead" on AMC

Post by Tobias05 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:05 am

Fell out of a second story window trying to shoot a zombie with my m4 early this morning. haven't played since :vmad:

We'reWolf

Post by We'reWolf » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:16 am

Tobias05 wrote:Fell out of a second story window trying to shoot a zombie with my m4 early this morning. haven't played since :vmad:
lol i got hit by a zombie and i can't heal cause of lag and im starting to get black n white... i got enough to stuff to heal me tho :awesome: oh and now my character is gone

Sckitzo
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (org)

Post by Sckitzo » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:26 am

Tobias05 wrote:Fell out of a second story window trying to shoot a zombie with my m4 early this morning. haven't played since :vmad:
I fell off the ATC at Balota while trying to turn around :oops:

Lucky for me I respawned like 2 minutes away, unlucky for me as soon as I got my shit back me and two others in my group got taken out by one dude.

We'reWolf

Post by We'reWolf » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:12 pm

me and fastforward were playing and we were going to go help new spawns and we run into two guys decked out in military gear. we both saw them but i think only one of them saw me so i call out to them and i can see them with their hands up and we end up getting closer and i give them some ammo and they asked if i needed anything and i didnt so we left riffy down to the lumber mill.
We are going through a build and i am on the second story and fastforward runs by me knocking me off the railing and i hit the ground and i thought i might be hurt so im trying to get up and then i hear gun shots and my guy goes unconscious. Bandit guy then starts firing and kills fastforward, we were both fully geared up too! so we both respawn around salnichy and i jump off a roof and commit suicide to respawn closer to where we died. I get the respawn and run over were our bodies were and there was still 1 m4 and about 3 mags but almost everything else is gone. So i pick up what i can and start running along the train tracks to meet ff cause hes coming from salnichy on the train tracks and i am crouch past a little past the bridge when i see fastforward running towards me and then we both hear a guy yelling to ff to stop moving and i could see him perfect just standing in the middle of the street aiming at him and i can see he was the guy that took all our stuff. I am to this guys three oclock and before ff could say anything to this guy i aim at him and unload the m4 full auto on his hip up to his neck just shooting the crap out of him and he tries to run for the beach makes it about three steps from where he was then falls down. FF and I were a bit excited, i think he ran into some busy or laid down because when i started shooting that guy i lost sight of him. The guy i just shot about 14 times guys up from the street and still starts running towards the beach so i start running towards him with my m4 this time shooting slower going like pop.. pop.. pop..pop and then he drops again. i run over to his body and give him the good old double tap and tell ff its save and he runs over and starts looting the guy as i crouch in the brush on the side of the road.
So we get about 40% of our gear back and decide to run to the hospital Berzino and before we get there we hit the construction site cause i still need backpack and other crap. So i hit the first door i see and go up to the second and third floor clearing both those and ff searches the bottom. As I am on the third floor, ff tells me hes moving to the second and is going to eat some food. So he is there and asks me if i am next to him or something then i hear him be like " what the hell " and i hear a muffled guy yelling you got knocked out bitch. So someone had snuck up behind him and KO ff and about 2 seconds later i hear gun shots and ff tells me he is dead. so i run down to the stairs to make sure he isn't coming to get me or if he knows i am here or not. I run down the stair and i don't know where ff was when he died so i am just kind of crouch walking moving around the second floor and i hear shooting and ricochets. I run down and get behind some cover still trying to look for ff body and the shooting stops so i move around the room and see blood flying through a wall and found ff dead body. Then i moving back towards the stairs i came down and the guy who killed him is in the hallway running towards me scream on his mic and shooting full auto at everything and we both dump mags at each other and i get hit a bunch of times and my screen is black and white. I can still hear him screaming of the mic and he is trying to take out his axe and i reload my last mag and begin to shoot the guy and he finally drops on the ground and i double tap him. And start bandaging myself and get the bleeding to stop. But now FF is way far away from me screens black and white and so i just loot as much stuff as i could hold and take as much useful stuff as i could and i log and wait for ff to get to that area so he can use the saline bag i got from the massacre.

overall exciting but very bad luck for the both of us.

colemoge
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (2004), 28 Days & Weeks Later

Post by colemoge » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:33 pm

paying for an alpha?

looks like beta will be in 2015

maybe after a few more patches....
Those fighters with no losses on thier records are obviously fighting the wrong opponents.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:37 pm

colemoge wrote:paying for an alpha?

looks like beta will be in 2015

maybe after a few more patches....
You're not paying for an Alpherr. You're purchasing the full game with alpha and beta access. Steam's been doing to with other games for awhile. Star Citizen also offers alpha and beta access for early buyers. Beta is supposed to be end of the year, and in the mean time I get to play, learn the mechanics, and have a say in the game. The dev team is very vocal and frequently talks to reddit's DayZ sub and on a couple game forums. The creator is not shy about dropping in and saying "I love your idea and I'm pitching it to the rest of the team. Stay tuned."

However, he also went out and told people not to buy it right now because it sucks, because it's a broken Alpha.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:45 pm

I bought it and played it because it looked cool. aftera few hours and getting an M4 and soem gear I was bored :( so we'll see when more updates come.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

DJH
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Walking Dead TV series, anything George Romero

Post by DJH » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:18 am

http://kotaku.com/dayz-bandits-cruelly- ... 1508065997" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

When I die, bury me 8 feet under, so I'll still be lower than all my friends.

Slugg
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Book of Eli
The Colony(TV Series)
I am Legend
28 series
Resident Evil series
Dawn of the Dead
The Walking Dead

Post by Slugg » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:05 am

I just added the you guys on Steam, maybe I can join you guys in the near future. Who know, maybe we can end up making a ZS group. I'm sure there is a ton of like minded gamers who would contribute a lot to us here on the ZS forum.
The future is for those who prepare.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:19 pm

A Reddit Thread wrote:I was punching a fully geared guy when.. (self.dayz)
submitted 4 hours ago by datdayzdude
So i was minding my own business in experimental test server when suddenly i see a geared guy, he immediately opens fire on me (he had a mosin), to my advantage he missed all his shots and i started run - punching him while he was reloading, and then the unthinkable happened. He stopped aiming at me and started sitting on the ground, and then i remembered, THE ANTI COMBAT LOG SYSTEM ! now is my chance, hitting him 5-6 times while he was sitting on the ground and he falls down, 10/10 would knock out combat logger again,
THANKS ROCKET & OTHER DEVS.
Not my story, but fukken awesome. Dunno if y'all track the patchnotes (if enough people are lazy and soemone sends me a plate of cookies I might get in the habit of pasting them here) but TL:DR the new experimental patch to fix combat logouts is that whenever you disconnect, your characters sits down and waits for 30 seconds and there's nothing you can do about it. I coulda used this the other week when we snuck up on a couple server hoppers in Balota.

Deloraisen

Post by Deloraisen » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:42 am

derf26 wrote:All my first characters died pretty quickly, but now that I got the hang of the game my latest character has been alive for a loong time (by usual DayZ standards). I've been all over the map, including the airfield up north. Here's what he looked like yesterday.

I've also found a .357 revolver and 20 rounds of ammo, which I will give away to the first person who finds me (I don't really need two sidearms). Oh, I also have a Saline/IV kit - so I can heal people too :D
Sadly what you see on the screenshot is pretty much end game gear at the moment. M4 is the best weapon so far... this game is over a year from being finished and yet they charge the same amount as for a new game :(

I love DayZ but that is just a bit sleazy...

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:49 am

Deloraisen wrote:
derf26 wrote:All my first characters died pretty quickly, but now that I got the hang of the game my latest character has been alive for a loong time (by usual DayZ standards). I've been all over the map, including the airfield up north. Here's what he looked like yesterday.

I've also found a .357 revolver and 20 rounds of ammo, which I will give away to the first person who finds me (I don't really need two sidearms). Oh, I also have a Saline/IV kit - so I can heal people too :D
Sadly what you see on the screenshot is pretty much end game gear at the moment. M4 is the best weapon so far... this game is over a year from being finished and yet they charge the same amount as for a new game :(

I love DayZ but that is just a bit sleazy...
How is it sleazy? Dean said publicly "I do not recommend people buy this game until at least the beta" and there are early-access and Alpha warnings everywhere. I'm not following. You buy now, you get to test the Alpherr and Beta builds, offer suggestions via reddit or the DayZ boards, and still get the full game. How does it make sense to charge people less when they get more stuff?

Mountainsquid
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead(Snyder), Zombieland

Post by Mountainsquid » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:09 am

For what it's worth my steam handle is BaronBücher.

I've yet to be able to spend any time at NWAF or even Balota because of campers. Me anda few guys from another forum I frequent have been just doing a big loop in the Northeast part of the map.

Mountainsquid

Post by Mountainsquid » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:10 pm

So, there's a thread right now on the dayz sub on Reddit comparing Chernarus(which is about 250 square kilometers) to various real life cities. Despite being a huge map from a gaming standpoint, Chernarus is relatively small. For instance, it's about 1/4 the size of my county here in Virginia(in-universe the map is about a 1/3 of the total country of Chernarus, so it's a dang small country).

How long until computing power gets to the point where people are making 1:1 scale maps of real locations? DayZ set in NYC anyone?

Wraith6761

Post by Wraith6761 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:59 pm

Mountainsquid wrote:So, there's a thread right now on the dayz sub on Reddit comparing Chernarus(which is about 250 square kilometers) to various real life cities. Despite being a huge map from a gaming standpoint, Chernarus is relatively small. For instance, it's about 1/4 the size of my county here in Virginia(in-universe the map is about a 1/3 of the total country of Chernarus, so it's a dang small country).

How long until computing power gets to the point where people are making 1:1 scale maps of real locations? DayZ set in NYC anyone?
From a single player perspective? We're pretty much already there. Pretty sure I remember somebody creating a mod for Fallout 3 that expanded the map to the full size of DC, and that was a couple years ago.
From a multiplayer perspective, like DayZ? Eh....that much processing, coupled with handling that number of people accessing it...it'd be possible, but probably only on a local server with a wickedly fast LAN setup (bordering on gigabit or fiber optic). This is assuming you kept up with the current status of never having a loading screen while in-game; if you're fine with loading screens, then obviously you can go a lot bigger (I think the original maps of WoW were something like 200 sq km, back before most people had high speed internet).
Woods Walker wrote:...I don't think it matters if a backpack has Dora the Explorer on it. Based on my observations from years of hunting and fishing if something looks and acts like prey it will draw in predators.

Mountainsquid

Post by Mountainsquid » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:58 am

You mean generating instances? Yeah.

I suspect that the big problem with a game like DayZ in expanding it in size much more than what it is how you have the server handle all the loot spawns and a increased number of players per server. Those of us playing the standalone know that on full servers I can take up to a minute to spawn loot if you drop it on the ground. Still a fun idea to dream about. I need Google fiber in my neighborhood.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:01 am

Mountainsquid wrote:You mean generating instances? Yeah.

I suspect that the big problem with a game like DayZ in expanding it in size much more than what it is how you have the server handle all the loot spawns and a increased number of players per server. Those of us playing the standalone know that on full servers I can take up to a minute to spawn loot if you drop it on the ground. Still a fun idea to dream about. I need Google fiber in my neighborhood.
Part of DayZ's problem is the Arma engine. It's massively CPU heavy and eats almost no GPU compared to similar games, and the anticheat measures involve running way too much stuff server-side. I think we're a bit too early to really do a DayZ-esque game the right way.

Darkhunter

Post by Darkhunter » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:58 am

Been playing off and on. Part that got me to stop playing recently was the fact I got overrun by 6 people wielding axes with no pants on. They didn't kill me right off but forced me to give up my gear after tying my hands up through deceit (Hiding in the road acting dead then sending the group in to funnel be by the corpse,) then proceeded to for me to suffocate on being force feed rotten onions.

Red_Ramage

Post by Red_Ramage » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:31 am

my steam handle is "HAND BANANA NOOO", account name meg87. Feel free to add me, I play DayZ fairly often. I have a route down that pretty much gears me up after an hour of running and looting, so mostly I like to hang out in elektro and get into firefights.
Kipling wrote:But to stand an' be still to the Birken'ead drill is a damn tough bullet to chew, An' they done it, the Jollies -- 'Er Majesty's Jollies -- soldier an' sailor too!

Return to “Zombie Survival/Combat Simulations”