Zombie RPGs

Discussions about Zombie training simulators such as video games, RPGs, paintball or other related simulations.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Do you play RPGs?

Poll ended at Sat Aug 14, 2004 2:07 pm

Yes
25%
No
75%

Total votes: 8

JMalone

Zombie RPGs

Post by JMalone » Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:07 pm

I found this RPG mod on the web a long time ago. It is pretty good, if you like RPGs and want to try and run a scenario to test your plans (against the cunning ST). It uses the d10 storyteller system (World of Darkness; Vampire, Werewolf, Mage).

www.dimfuture.net/elsewhere/roleplaying/le/intro.html

Cazmonster

Post by Cazmonster » Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:28 pm

It seems that you folks have missed out on All Flesh Must Be Eaten from the great guys at EDEN Studios. If any of you are on your way to Gencon this year, check out a game. It's a good, fast-paced game with plenty of screams and carnage.
When the chips are down and the corpses are up and moving, trust Mr. Max Brooks and his Zombie Survival Guide.

JMalone

Post by JMalone » Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:08 pm

Oh, AFMBE is a perfectly alright system and game. It's just I am more of a d10 man myself.

talien

Blood and Brains: The Zombie Hunter's Guide

Post by talien » Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:48 pm

If you haven't heard, I wrote a zombie RPG supplement for D20 Modern: http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=2879&

And the free introductory guide: http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=3098&

Judging from the reactions in the forum...I think people heard. :)
Mike "Talien" Tresca
http://michael.tresca.net

JMalone

Post by JMalone » Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:22 pm

I hate d20 modern with a passion rarely manifested in mortal men. D&D3E is about as close as I can get to it without suddenly turning into "ASSHOLE MAN!" (trumpet fanfare). I really just hate that shite.

Besides, I like class-less, level-less crap. Being "more experienced" doesn't mean you can take more damage; it might mean you can dodge or reduce the damage somehow through it (like if you have problems with people sticking you with sharp pointy objects, you might learn a little bit to dodge or reduce the injury somewhat); I don't believe just because you are "experienced" (i.e. high level) means you can survive being hit by 3 .50AE rounds, a metal pole swung like a bat, and a titan Irish-Whipping a bus onto you.

Whoops. I ranted again. Silly me.

talien

Post by talien » Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:20 pm

Agreed. That's why there's the Death From Massive Damage rule:
Any time a character takes damage from a single hit that exceeds the character’s massive damage threshold, that damage is considered massive damage. A character’s massive damage threshold is equal to the character’s current Constitution score; it can be increased by taking the Improved Damage Threshold feat.
When a character takes massive damage that doesn’t reduce his or her hit points to 0 or lower, the character must make a Fortitude save (DC 15). If the character fails the save, the character’s hit point total is immediately reduced to –1. If the save succeeds, the character suffers no ill effect beyond the loss of hit points.
So a guy with a 9 Constitution who takes a bullet hit can die outright. Or a bus.
Mike "Talien" Tresca
http://michael.tresca.net

JMalone

Post by JMalone » Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:12 pm

(Note: I am using D&D3E as the basis of this. I would use d20 modern, but I sold it for 10$)

Entering Rant Mode... Now.

Yes, but my prob. with the massive damage rule is that you start getting to the point where you take 50+ damage from an attack around (maybe) 9th-14th level, depending on campaign difficulty and DM sadism. Plus, death from massive damage is only scary to the weaker (physically) classes, and to people who roleplay and game right (Almost every player I have been in a game with {myself included on more than one occasion} cheat on rolls, so they end up with all scores better than 14). So wizards, rogues, and some clerics have to worry about having 50 HP around to take that massive damage. Fighters typically have more than 50 hp by that time, and typically have high enough fortitude saves to avoid failing, unless their d20's hate them. IF a fighter rolls well, and has a constitution of 18 at the start, he is liable to have 100 HP at around 10th level. Yes, taking 50 dmg. will still fuck him up, but he doesn't have to worry about massive damage. A Rogue with Con. 18, rolling all 6's on his D6, will have 100 hp at tenth, but really, how likely is that to happen?

So, sorry about ze ranting, I just really dislike the whole convulated min-maxing of the D&D3E system.

JMalone

Post by JMalone » Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:14 pm

However, your point on the D20 modern version of MD is a little more realistic. I would still rather eat glass then play it, but it does have that.

mrwalkinman

Post by mrwalkinman » Sat Aug 28, 2004 10:50 am

I've run a zombie campaign using some old Champions system rules, which seem to work really good for movement amongst other things.

The game began with a buncha regualr joes ,but becasue the zombie virus, called the Grendel Virus, has a mutagenic component, some of them began to develope light weight super powers over time, but with heavy disadvantages and draw backs to their use, eg. you throw a "5 ton punch", but are so exhausted after doing so you can barely move ... and the zombies eat you. :twisted:

I kinda got tired of the super powered twist (for now), but it so happened that at the beginning of the last game a canister of the Grendel Virus was obtained by an arms dealing organization that sell such things on the international market to the high bidder.

So, in the new installment of the campaign, a group of terrorists, who have obtained the rogue canister, are going to blast some majour city with the virus, and the players will just be average joes who have to cope and survive ... while keeping a constant eye on the sanity of each other.

Ghostfist

Post by Ghostfist » Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:27 am

Check out the game Motocaust (www.motocaust.com). Post apocalyptic weirdness with biker zombies. Great art and it's only a ten buck download.

Return to “Zombie Survival/Combat Simulations”