What are you playing?

Discussions about Zombie training simulators such as video games, RPGs, paintball or other related simulations.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Re: What are you playing?

Post by MacWa77ace » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:39 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:00 pm
Speaking of Battlefield games, the only one I've sort of played was "Battlefield: Hardlines" or whatever the one was called where you play as a cop (or was it a DEA agent?).

It played ok, but I felt like my hand was being held the whole time. It felt super linear and didn't allow for any creativity in taking down the bad guys. That game kind of soured me on the whole Battlefield franchise.

It might've been different had I played the online side of things, but I don't have an XBOX Live account (well, I do, but I don't have the one where I can play online with friends or other players).
The Battlefield franchise excels at FPS multi-player gameplay with vehicles. CoD doesn't have the vehicles and is more arcade feeling to me but multi-player is also first for them too. But both have pretty good campaigns as linear campaign stories go, even though the developers know that that's not really why people buy those franchise games. CoD Black Ops 4 released with no campaign story. If your not into FPS mulit-player online gaming, yes, I can see how someone wouldn't get into those much especially at $60 a pop.

Hardline is the only one from the BF franchise I haven't played since BFBC2 [BFBC2 was a most awesome campaign story BTW]. Mainly because Hardline is cops and robbers and a direct spin off of BF4 using the same game engine as BF4, so exactly the same multi-player gameplay with a different skin. I did read that it wasn't as successful as the other games in the series $$. If the price hits $5 or $6 bucks for the digital download I will probably get it to play the campaign story but not for $10-$60. I watched some of my friends' YTUBE videos of the multi-player gameplay and it really does feel like BF4 to me having played the crap out of BF4 myself.

And yeah, if it feels linear that's not good. Good linear games should fool you into thinking you're not following a path. I've found another way you can make a linear game more challenging is to look at the trophies , awards etc list [depending on the platform] where there may be trophies for doing a mission or section in a really different, challenging, if not creative way.

Another thing I do in campaign stories on my first playthru is start on the difficulty setting one notch harder than the 'normal' difficulty setting. For two reasons; there is usually a trophy [PS4] for completing the campaign, and then another one for completing the campaign on hard. If I start on hard I get both trophies when I'm done, so I don't have to replay it to get the second trophy especially if I don't like it. Secondly, normal is not challenging enough for me even on the first playthru which makes it more fun for me. I might go to 'easy' to gather any collectables missed on the fist playthru to get that trophy but only if I really like the game. All that just to make the campaigns interesting.

I didn't buy and play BF1 when it first released either, 'cause after I played the beta and realized they totally changed the interface from BF4 and other stuff I was just 'meh'. But then did buy BF1 digital download and the complete Premium DLC for $5.99 about a month before BFV released, because I knew they were using that new interface in BF5 and I wanted to practice with the BF1 interface to be ready for BFV. The Campaign in BF1 was fun, linier but fun.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:44 pm

I might check out some of the other Battlefield games, but "Hardlines" is out for me. I might try Battlefield 1, the WW1 one, since I've never played a WW1 based game.

I grew up playing the old Medal of Honor WW2 games (and they are probably why I collect WW2 era militaria and guns), but there were almost no WW1 games save for PC games.

MacWa77ace

Post by MacWa77ace » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:28 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:44 pm
I might check out some of the other Battlefield games, but "Hardlines" is out for me. I might try Battlefield 1, the WW1 one, since I've never played a WW1 based game.

I grew up playing the old Medal of Honor WW2 games (and they are probably why I collect WW2 era militaria and guns), but there were almost no WW1 games save for PC games.
Chimp, remind me, you're XB1 or XB? BF1 is going to be a learning curve if you've never played BF games. They use bullet drop, and bullet spread, suppression, and damage over distance calculations. Also for game 'feel' there is a 'time to kill' and 'time to die' component for multi player. BF3, BF4, Hardline also use that. The bullet spread thing is the tricky part. It takes into account the inherent accuracy of a firearm. So if its say 4MOA, then you get a random variation of 4MOA, which can cause some frustration when you know you pulled the trigger with the dot on their head, but missed. BFV has minimized or taken out bullet spread.

BF1 campaign is not great, but the WWI tank section and the WWI plane section were really fun for me. These are the only BF1 videos I made and they are all from the BF1 multi player Beta. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycWhkew ... sSX_RAuiCO_ FYI I'm a gamer pilot, and in the second vid, to increase the difficultly and make it a bit more challenging, I was using an anti tank cannon in my biplane to dogfight, and was a bit buzzed from drinking rum [hence the insane laughter].

I just went retro after reminiscing in this thread the other day, LOL. Fired up the PS3 and played Battlefield Bad Company 2 multi-player for about 3 hours on Saturday, after remembering how good that game was. For some reason it kept asking me for the multiplayer login code which I had already entered in 2011 when I first got the game. But I still got online, then I kept losing the connection to the server every 10 - 15 minutes [felt like a kick] which after a while I assumed it may have been a time limit on multi since my code was no longer valid or they couldn't find it. Anyhow it was amazing that 1) there were still at least 2 active game servers running, and 2) there were at least 12 people online on each server so 24 people playing. Probably more. Fun going retro, went up two rankings. :clap: Excellent excellent Campaign story if you can find a copy.

I also checked out PS3 SOCOM4 Navy Seals: Confrontation, but knew they took the servers down a few years ago. I couldn't connect and there is no campaign in that one.

AND Medal of Honor is probably my all time favorite. But not the WWII version, the Afghanistan version. By Danger Close development team. Both campaign and the multi were the best I'd ever played at the time for modern warfare FPS. On the PS3, I only need one more trophy on that game to get he platinum trophy. So I'm going to check it out next weekend and see if any servers are up. I went back on a few years ago but there weren't really enough people playing for me to attempt the 'fire controller' trophy.

And my Avatar is from Medal of Honor Warfighter. I see ZS's CouchPotato still playing that a lot on PS3. And I have the Medal of Honor WWII D-day game loaded, [came free with something as bonus content] but I couldn't get off the beach.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:52 pm

I'm on the XB1, Mac. I haven't played anything on the 360 in about three years.

MacWa77ace

Post by MacWa77ace » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:12 am

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:52 pm
I don't use my PS3 much. I try to keep the controllers charged, so every couple of months recharge them. But I have a friend at work that every once in a while shoves a PS3 title in my hand and saying, 'you gotta try this one'. So I do. That equals 1-2 'never played' PS3 games a year still.

I'm just amazed that some of these old games still have populated servers.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:06 pm

MacWa77ace wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:12 am
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:52 pm
I don't use my PS3 much. I try to keep the controllers charged, so every couple of months recharge them. But I have a friend at work that every once in a while shoves a PS3 title in my hand and saying, 'you gotta try this one'. So I do. That equals 1-2 'never played' PS3 games a year still.

I'm just amazed that some of these old games still have populated servers.
I actually kind of miss playing games on my 360. I might hook it up again one of these days and play some games.

I've never played games online (I have an Xbox account, but not one for Xbox Live), so I can't really say much about server populations. Last time I actively checked, Halo on the original Xbox was still a big deal.

MacWa77ace

Post by MacWa77ace » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:45 pm

Wow, I played Medal of Honor multi-player on PS3 last Sunday. That game is from 2010.

At first I couldn't get on the servers. Kept getting an error that 'A suitable server cannot be found'. But I could see in the lobby that there were between 48 and 53 people online playing, divided between the Combat Mission, and Team Deathmatch game modes. The other game modes were unpopulated.

I kept trying only because I could see that info, if they didn't show players online I probably would have quit. Finally connected after about 20 tries.

eeehhh, aside from being really rusty at MoH, I'm pretty sure the only servers left active are in Europe or Asia because the game was really reeeeaaaallly laggy. I would set up on a tango coming around a corner for instance, and the second I saw him I would fire, but they would kill me. Basically if they saw me I was dead even if I'd shoot first. That's Lag [or client/server latency]. And I think my controller sensitivity was set to low. Over the years I may have bumped that up for all the other FPS's, but didn't change any control setting since the last time I played MoH and it felt really slow. Killing people before they looked at me was the only way I could do it. I was basically cannon fodder.

Best thing was that I remembered all the multi-player maps and the best positions and strategies. LOL Winning!

Might play some more next weekend, still need the fire controller trophy to get the platinum trophy on that game, and maybe will check out the Medal of Honor: Warfighter servers too.

MoH and The Division are two games that I'm really close to getting the platinum trophies on. Platinum is PlayStation's trophy for getting all the other trophies on a game BTW.

MacWa77ace

Post by MacWa77ace » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:49 pm

Played the Anthem demo on PS4 last weekend. Live streamed it.

The combat was intense, Boss full of nuubs equals long time to kill [click here > ] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgy1WqlIeAc&t=4568s

Reminds me of a cross between Starwars Battlefront II and Uncharted 4. Go to town to find a mission, go do the mission, return to town, rinse repeat.
Then spend coin on upgrading and skinning your Javelin Suit and load out.

Co-op gameplay on multi-player demo of ANTHEM.

MacWa77ace

Post by MacWa77ace » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:10 am

'The Division 2' Private Beta just went live and will be active this weekend for those who preordered it or registered to play the beta. So that's my plan for tomorrow, have just set it to download on my PS4.
I didn't preorder, I just registered.

MacWa77ace

Post by MacWa77ace » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:45 am

Well I was able to play The Division 2 Private Beta for a couple hours. It is set in Washington DC instead of New York. And with the exception of a couple of new gadgets and a slightly revamped menu, in the time I played, it was almost exactly like The Division [Division 1]. Which was a good thing because I was able to organize loot and upgrade my weapons and everything else easily with no learning curve. Maybe when you get to higher levels there is some extremely different gadgets and skills to use. I only got to level 3.

And only died once. :clap:

Annoyingly there's a comms alert that goes off every minute or two that says, 'Another agent is in need of help', but I couldn't figure out how to locate them or join them or what the heck that was about. I'm sure it has something to do with either co-op'ing a mission or reviving someone who went down. But I wasn't in a group which is what it'd take in 1 to get that notification to trigger. I just don't know.

Anyhow, there's was a lot of loot grinding in 1, and so I'm on the fence if I'm going to get this one as I'm not that into that type of gameplay. I have a couple friends getting it so that might be the tipping factor. Squading up in those type games make them really fun.

MacWa77ace

Post by MacWa77ace » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:16 pm

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands had a major update and just added a new game mode called Guerrilla.
25 waves of ever increasing difficulty while defending a rebel base apparently. Start with nothing and upgrade as you progress.

I'm going to be playing that. Vids to follow.

trailer for Y2 Spec Op 4 of GRW:

MacWa77ace

Post by MacWa77ace » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:20 am

TRY NOT TO LAUGH. I DARE YOU!

Post round chatter had me ROTFL.

JF89
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido , Dead Set (tv show) ,28 days/weeks later.

Post by JF89 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:51 am

Lets see I am currently playing:

Red Dead Redemtion 2 (just started)

Metro series (Redux) then starting "Exodus"

Farcry:New Dawn.

Kind of started playing Skyrim again after 5 years lol

All on ps4.

I just started playing these like 2-3 weeks ago and I dont play a lot with kids terrorizing me for the tv lol

MacWa77ace

Post by MacWa77ace » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:23 pm

Made the grind to Tier 3 in GRW. Ghost Recon Wildlands.

First you go up to level 30 with increasing game difficulty, then you are eligible to activate Tier 1 mode which is a countdown from Tier 50 to Tier 1, each Tier getting progressively harder. Each time you reach a knew Tier it drops an award and increases your ingame bonus drops. When I hit level 5 I think that was the last major reward drop which was the LVOA-C Bad News Assault Rifle with 1x + 3x magnifier, UGR, and laser.

Also for you Playstation 4 gamers with PSPlus. Call of Duty Modern Warfare Remastered just dropped for free download in PS Store. Reg $39.99

Return to “Zombie Survival/Combat Simulations”