I hate iPhone! Help!

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

CipherNameRaVeN
Favorite Zombie Movies: Quarantine, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later. The Road, Time of the Wolf (2004, French)

I hate iPhone! Help!

Post by CipherNameRaVeN » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:14 am

I know this is not exactly a survival item. But,... it is!

I recently switched from Droid to iPhone, and I hate it!

I had Droid Incredible for two years. Then I decided to see why people loved iPhone so much and got that. What a piece of garbage compared to Android. It's limited in many respects compared to Android platform. Every day I find out more and more limitations. So, I am going back to change back to Droid.

Can anyone tell me what is the latest and greatest Droid out there? I am on Verizon.
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding what to eat for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote.

BOB & EDC | FAK
ImageImage

Clout

Re: I hate iPhone! Help!

Post by Clout » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:58 am

I've been an Android user since the first Droid hit the shelves a few years ago. I recently was up for my "New-in-Two" with Verizon at which time I went with the Droid Bionic (newest and best they had to offer). I like just about everything it has to offer, EXCEPT the battery life. Well, if my luck wouldn't have it...not a few weeks later they've released the Droid Razr Maxxxxx (or however you want to spell it). Everything I've read about this makes me want to "drop" my Bionic in the toilet and grab the Razr Max. There are two Razrs and my understanding is that the main difference is the battery life on the Max is far superior. Other pros would be it is a tad more durable (Gorilla glass screen, slightly "moisture resistant" internals, rugged back plate) and slightly more compact/lighter.

I can see where the frustration lies with the iPhone. Many people (read: hipsters) who haven't ventured into Android are unaware that the grass could be greener on the other side. The lack of customization would really chap my ass. My wife and I enjoy setting up widgets and other rooty-toots that help with making the user experience a lot more slick than just a bunch of rows of icons. Pick up two iPhones and the user interface will be nearly identical between the two. Pick up two Androids and it likely won't be the same. Other people talk about getting the iPhone because it meshes well with other Mac products (via iTunes, blah blah blah). I am a PC user who happens to have music in iTunes. I have no problem syncing music to my Droid just as easily as syncing to my iPod. It took 5 more minutes to setup, but it's slick now.

I would hate to see you "stuck" with a phone you don't like until your next upgrade rolls around. I'm fairly certain that Verizon has some sort of return policy on new phones within the first 30 days or something. If not, maybe you could sell your iPhone (probably for pretty good money) and take the proceeds to purchase a new Android device.

/rant

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:17 am

I have an HTC thunderbolt and I bought my wife a Motorola Droid Razr.

The Razr is a much better phone than the thunderbolt. It is thinner, lighter and faster. Nevertheless I like the Thunderbolt for one simple reason. I can take the case off the back and replace the dying battery with a freshly charged one. I have 3 batteries for it.

The Razr does not allow this.

That said if battery replacement is not an issue Motoroal Razr is the way to go.

IMO Iphones suck....Macs too :lol: . Long live WinTel, long live linux! :lol:

Edited to Add:
battery life sucks for both the thunderbolt and Razr.

The Razr though has an option to disable 4g service when data is not in use which does wonders for battery life.

The Thunderbolt if everything is shut down, wi-fi, bluetooth, GPS and screen on the lowest setting and you turn off the screen has a battery life of only about 18 hours.

One final thing the Hotspot option on these are great. My office had an internet issue and we were without wi-fi for a day. I turned on the hotspot for my Thunderbolt and it was broadcasting wi-fi at 6 mps all day. Not exactly a cable modem but enough to keep the affected 3 users in email for the day.
Last edited by raptor on Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TheLastOne
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by TheLastOne » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:33 am

I got an iphone for the itunes compatibility. I had a droid, then blackberry, then the iphone. I like the iphone better than the blackberry I had, and I didn't have any problem with the android other than it broke when I dumped boiling water all over myself and it was in my chef's coat pocket and caught the brunt of it. /didn't realize you can get droids to sync w itunes.

I'm kind of in the boat of not giving two fucks as long as it does a few simple things: calls, text, email, camera, directions, music. The iphone and android both fit the bill for me, but at the time I bought iphone had more apps etc to waste my time on. I don't know what the situation is with that now.

I do friggin hate paying $99 bucks a month for this shit though. When this one tanks, I'll likely just buy a new ipod and go back to a simple phone for $50 a month.
MF'N Team Leader: Cleveland Steamers 2012
Team Beards&Irons 2013

SuperBanki
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, campiness at it's best.

Post by SuperBanki » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:01 pm

I have a Droid 3, got it when they first came out, and was a much needed upgrade from the HTC Eris I had. I love it, it's got a full keyboard, nice screen, have a decent heft to it. I've been looking into the Droid 4 lately, it has 4g, full keyboard, looks a little nicer in my opinion, a little more rounded then the Droid 3, and the screen seems brighter and more clear.
Polie wrote: I couldn't live with out smokes, coffee, chocodiles, and Gold Bonds Medicated foot powder for the ol' giggle stick. (It's like a thousand dancing ferries.)
Regular Guy wrote:Just FYI, it is lawful for the police to use one level of force above the criminals level of force. I'd say using a gun is one level above face chewing. YMMV.

painiac

Post by painiac » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:57 pm

Just avoid the shitty money-grab manufacturers like Samsung and LG.
Stick with HTC (my preference) or Motorola. The phones are so fast now that it doesn't much matter which you get, as long as you stay away from the bottom-rung "free phones" marketed to people who won't do anything but pay an extra $30 a month for email they won't check. If you'll be watching a lot of videos, consider one of the huge screens. Otherwise, I'd stick with the latest HTC incredible if you don't want a physical keyboard, or the latest motorola droid if you do want a physical keyboard.

nyarlotep
Favorite Zombie Movies: I don't think I've seen one. Not a big fan of the horror genre.

Post by nyarlotep » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:40 am

My next upgrade (soon, I hope) will be to the Droid 4. 4" screen, 1.2ghz processor with a gig of ram, and a full slideout keyboard. I do not like virtual keyboards so a full 5-row keyboard is a must on any phone I have.
God was my co-pilot, but our plane crashed in the mountains and I ate him.

In theory, there's no difference between practice and theory. In practice, there is.
- Cigarman

Tetra Grammaton Cleric
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Tetra Grammaton Cleric » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:45 am

What are the cameras like on the top of the line Droids vs the iPhone in you guy's experiences?

-
"I shoot the dead." - Harlen Maguire, The Road to Perdition.

FAK SURVIVOR GARDEN
Hk33k - in memorium.
-

SuperBanki

Post by SuperBanki » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:08 am

Well, I can only compare to my girlfriend Ipod Touch, but I think it's the same camera, not sure. The droid camera, once focused in, takes a much higher quality photo with less "fuzz". This is the camera on the back, the one on the front is pretty low quality in my opinion. At least, that's how it is on my Droid 3.
Polie wrote: I couldn't live with out smokes, coffee, chocodiles, and Gold Bonds Medicated foot powder for the ol' giggle stick. (It's like a thousand dancing ferries.)
Regular Guy wrote:Just FYI, it is lawful for the police to use one level of force above the criminals level of force. I'd say using a gun is one level above face chewing. YMMV.

Red_Snow
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead (Who can't enjoy the zombie fish?)

Post by Red_Snow » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:57 am

painiac wrote:Just avoid the shitty money-grab manufacturers like Samsung and LG.
I rather enjoy my Samsung. Started with iPhone, went to Crackberry, now at Android. Think I'm liking the Samsung mainly because it is running Ice Cream Sandwich.

Of the three smartphones I've had, the Blackberry took the best photos, followed by the Samsung, with the iPhone taking complete shit photos no matter what I did with it.
Our world is on the verge of a temporal displacement, and it will be humanity that falls victim to the repercussions. The few humans remaining desperately search for answers to their infinitesimal existence.

eugene

Post by eugene » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:39 pm

The Droid RAZR camera rivals most standalone digital cameras except for low light and optical zoom, picture quality is very good. Only downside of the razr is the battery life could be better due to the larger screen, I kid of wish I had gotten the razr maxx for the larger battery, may just order the bigger battery and new back and upgrade.
Android is a couple years ahead of iOS in features, usability, having to use someones iphone/pad just gets downright annoying;
2004 Silverado ECSB Z71 5.3L
2009 Giant Cypress DX, 1996 Specialized Rockhopper
Smith and Wesson M&P9c, M&P22
Map of our travels. Our EveryTrail page
My Garmin Connect Profile

azstinger
Favorite Zombie Movies: Z-land or Dawn of the Dead

Post by azstinger » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:06 pm

Funny I had a droid incredible, or should I say droid unremarkable. I paid full retail to switch to an iPhone and haven't looked back. What don't you like about the iPhone if I may ask? The fact that most android phones are pretty much stuck with whatever version of the OS that they are sold with was a huge negative for me. I jailbroke my iPhone and it's very customized, and it still gets updated to the most current OS.

Data for updates:
http://wmpoweruser.com/60-of-us-android ... r-release/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:12 pm

The RAZR Maxx is the high-end phone on verizon right now. I got one a few months ago and so far its great.

its thursday evening, Ive got 40% charge left, I had the GPS on for 2 hours today, and it hasnt been charged since Tuesday morning.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

SuperBanki

Post by SuperBanki » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:47 pm

azstinger wrote:Funny I had a droid incredible, or should I say droid unremarkable. I paid full retail to switch to an iPhone and haven't looked back. What don't you like about the iPhone if I may ask? The fact that most android phones are pretty much stuck with whatever version of the OS that they are sold with was a huge negative for me. I jailbroke my iPhone and it's very customized, and it still gets updated to the most current OS.

Data for updates:
http://wmpoweruser.com/60-of-us-android ... r-release/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is not true, back when I had my Eris I loaded custom firmware on it. You can do that with any droid phone nowadays, it may require a little complexity, but it can be done. I haven't had to do that to my Droid 3 because it does everything I need it to.

Phoenix David
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I am legend, Omega man

Post by Phoenix David » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:12 pm

I have an iPhone and the only reason I didn't get a Android based phone is that the iPhone plugs right in to my truck and works through the factory stereo and the Android phones didn't
Nobody ever wishes they brought a smaller gun to a gun fight

eugene

Post by eugene » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:23 pm

azstinger wrote:Funny I had a droid incredible, or should I say droid unremarkable. I paid full retail to switch to an iPhone and haven't looked back. What don't you like about the iPhone if I may ask? The fact that most android phones are pretty much stuck with whatever version of the OS that they are sold with was a huge negative for me. I jailbroke my iPhone and it's very customized, and it still gets updated to the most current OS.

Data for updates:
wow, talk about false stories. I've already gotten one (minor) update for my razr. My original droid I rooted and installed a custom rom with the beta adobe flash and then unrooted and got 3-4 big updates to the OS over the two + years I used it.
Android is certainly easier to use than iphone, my 4 and 6 year old can do anything on ours but the cumbersome interface on the ipads we had to help them out a lot.
The iphone/pad's one button is its biggest drawback, it was always will it go back or home when I press it, then because of the lack of other buttons menu buttons seem to be all over the place, some top left, some top right, some bottom, etc. I was always hunting for what I wanted.

azstinger
Favorite Zombie Movies: Z-land or Dawn of the Dead

Post by azstinger » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:43 pm

eugene wrote:

Data for updates:
wow, talk about false stories. I've already gotten one (minor) update for my razr. My original droid I rooted and installed a custom rom with the beta adobe flash and then unrooted and got 3-4 big updates to the OS over the two + years I used it.
Android is certainly easier to use than iphone, my 4 and 6 year old can do anything on ours but the cumbersome interface on the ipads we had to help them out a lot.
The iphone/pad's one button is its biggest drawback, it was always will it go back or home when I press it, then because of the lack of other buttons menu buttons seem to be all over the place, some top left, some top right, some bottom, etc. I was always hunting for what I wanted.
Feel free to read the entire article...

http://theunderstatement.com/post/11982 ... of-support" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife, tech savvy dad and two uncles can attest to this being very true. It's not a fault of the android OS, and while I still think the android OS is clunky and unrefined, it's just due to the nature of there being a huge number of different phones/manufactures.

azrael99
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead, 28 days later, Zombieland, World war Z (when it gonna be out)

Post by azrael99 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:59 pm

have you checked the Galaxy phones ? we have the tablet and a friend have the phone, we totally love it.
"We stopped to look for monster under the bed , the day we realized that they were inside us"

painiac

Post by painiac » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:16 pm

azstinger wrote: Feel free to read the entire article...

http://theunderstatement.com/post/11982 ... of-support" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife, tech savvy dad and two uncles can attest to this being very true. It's not a fault of the android OS, and while I still think the android OS is clunky and unrefined, it's just due to the nature of there being a huge number of different phones/manufactures.
Also, the big push over the past couple years has been for the major carriers to phase out dumb-phones entirely. This is great for their monthly bills because a smartphone "requires" a data package. The downside is that most consumers aren't nearly as smart as their smartphones, creating a huge overhead cost for tech support. A sizable number of people don't even want a smartphone, though, rightly seeing their own needs as a device to make phone calls and nothing else.

There are three types of android updates: bug fixes, feature additions, and OS upgrades (which contain both of the former plus significant interface changes). Bug fixes must be done to appease customers and don't cost much in development terms, so major bugs usually get fixed with over-the-air updates. Feature additions DO cost money to develop, and with newer better phones coming out every year, manufacturers have very little incentive to spend money improving a device that you already paid for. The low-end android devices are much pricier versions of the "free" dumbphone throwaways, barely capable of the tasks they advertise and not at all capable of running some of the processor-intensive features that come in OS upgrades. They are truly, as I called them in my last post, shitty money-grabs.

Samsung and LG barely bother to update their phones at all, and this is an improvement from when Google sat them down and told them they have to start providing upgrades.

The higher-end phones have a significant user-base of hackers who work to improve them (CyanogenMod, for example, has a version for pretty much every device out there).

eugene

Post by eugene » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:16 am

azstinger wrote:
eugene wrote:

Data for updates:
Feel free to read the entire article...

I did, an biased article with cherry picked information isn't a good source. With there not being any significant improvements in iphone models its pretty easy to make the updates work with the older
Don't forget too how many of those older iphones were pretty much unusable with the newer ios so people just gave in an upgraded.
Remember the majority of phone users upgrade every year anyway, smartphone or not.
With the majority of iphone users still thinking apple invented the smartphone they are an easy market, just keep releasing one "new" model a year and the sheep flock to the stores.
Signing off now to install the latest update that just came in overnight to our 2.5 years old Droid 1's.

TheFishinMagician

Post by TheFishinMagician » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:31 am

I love my LG G2x from T-Mobile.

Do you have to stay with Verizon due to contract, or something? I used to have Verizon, but they suck so I switched. If you can switch, I'd say switch to someone else.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Image Image

BigDaddyTX

Post by BigDaddyTX » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:01 am

TheFishinMagician wrote:I love my LG G2x from T-Mobile.

Do you have to stay with Verizon due to contract, or something? I used to have Verizon, but they suck so I switched. If you can switch, I'd say switch to someone else.
That may be true in FL, but in TX if you don't have Verizon you pay the price. Shitty service and coverage, dropped calls in the same spot every time. I used to carry my work cell and personal cell at the same time and my work cell would have 0 bars at a lot of places while my V phone had 3-5 still. AFAIK that's still true as a few family members went away from V to save money and really hate their service and are just locked into the contract.
mzmadmike wrote: I may even buy another semiautomatic assault weapon rambo killing machine for my small penis, with lots of large capacity non-reusable clips full of armor piercing incendiary mercury tracer poisoned explosive hollowpoint glaser black talons

Morphace
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by Morphace » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:13 am

I was an avid iPhone user for about 4 Years, Hated every moment of it. I didn't switch when android first came out and I wish I would have. I just recently switched to the HTC Vivid. I love this phone. It's a bit on the larger size (not as big as the note) with a 4.5" screen that is qHD (quarter HD, 540x960). It just upgraded to Icecream Sandwich, the latest Android. My .2$ it's a great phone that blows the iPhone out of the water.
XboxLive: OctaynOne XboxLive Clan: C.U.R.S.E.D. [CRSD] http://c-u-r-s-e-d.darkbb.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

williaty

Post by williaty » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:53 am

I'm the exact opposite. Hate having to deal with anything Android, quite content to live with my iPhone. I can't say I love my iPhone because, after all, it's just a fucking phone. There's a limit to how excited anyone over the age of 30 really should be about a phone. I have to admit that I've gone from being a Phreak in the 80s and boxing the hell out of Ma Bell to really just wanting simple shit to work. Here's how I explained why I liked the iPhone to a younger guy with an Android.

"See this icon?"
"Yeah?"
"When I poke it, it calls my wife. This one here? When I poke it, music comes out."
"Uh... huh..."
"This one, if I'm feeling really adventurous, allows me to play solitaire!"
"But how can you stand using the default theme?!"
"What, you mean the one I can read clearly without having to find my glasses?"

Seriously, the phone is a utility device for me. The less I have to do to make it work the way I need it to, the better. I'm using Apple products because when I want my phone, laptop, desktop, and TV all to play nice with each other, It Just Works. Not to mention the fact that I had to do absolutely no configuration to get my calendars (on 3 different services), contacts, notes, etc all to stay synced on 3 different devices that I can update from anywhere there's a data signal. I own a small business. My phone is a lifeline and I don't want to have to piss with it.

Return to “Other Gear”