"I'll buy that for a dollar!!!" (Ridiculous Price Stories)

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

angelofwar
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead, I Am Legend

"I'll buy that for a dollar!!!" (Ridiculous Price Stories)

Post by angelofwar » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:38 am

Ok, this thread will be to talk about, and laugh/cringe at NOT expensive stuff (because we all know that good gear is expensive), but to tell stories of normal thing you found that were SERIUOSLY overpriced...

My first example was today...a "Tactical Store" in Columbia SC, had some Surefires...I'm a SF junky...I know there whole line-up, MSRp for the most part. This store had Incan G2's for...$104.95!!! These light went for ~$35 for the longest time, the when SF started dropping there incans, it went up to ~$45. They're $25 at our local exchange. I mentioned it to the clerk, "Hey, I think those G2's have the wrong price on them" (I was honestly being nice, thinking appropriately pricing them may help them sell more...after all, the MSRP was $45, and $41 is the most expensive I found online...LED versions go for $70-$80). I got a "snarky" remark from one of the sales rep's "Oh, we sell plenty of those". (Thinking to myself "Ummm...no you don't...I'm military, and I know NO military member will pay that for that light"). There other SF's were regularly priced...E2DL $189, G2X-Pro $140, etc. So, I left there thinking, those G2's will A) Be marked down in 5 years cause they aren;t moving, or B) Be there for 10 years cause the owner got UPC's mixed up, and can't figure out that a G2 incan model does not cost $104, when LED models can be had for cheaper.

Another sample: Gun Store. USAF Survival Knife. Retail? ~$35. I saw what i thought was $19.99, which, seemed plausible. I ask the owner about the price. He says, "No, it's $119. WHAT??? I tell him the same knife can be bought from mfg. for $35. He says "Well, those are knock off's". NO...your knife is made by Ontario, and Ontario sales them for $35.

Any body else ever run into ridiculously marked items??? And not been able to talk sense into the retailer? Let's hear your stories!
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts..."
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... w#p2141127

leadpulaski

Re: "I'll buy that for a dollar!!!" (Ridiculous Price Storie

Post by leadpulaski » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:40 am

Bought my Ka-Bar online for about $50. Saw the same knife in a cutlery store in Bellvue Washington for over $100. My GF justified the price difference as "these people don't know any better."

Redeyes
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of The Living Dead 1968

Post by Redeyes » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:55 am

$169 for a DPMS stripped lower, $700 for an Aimpoint micro with no mount, Eagle chest rigs for $150. I asked the owner if they had any less expensive lowers "We only sell quality". They had pretty much everything at or above msrp, which means with 5 minutes and a internet connection I can save 50%. I like supporting local brick and mortars when I can, but I won't let them cheat me either. I didn't give them any shit, I just had a mental lol at the prices and left.

Team Beards&Irons MilCopp 2013

Browning 35 for ZS President 2016. Make Zombie Squad Great Again!

brizower

Post by brizower » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:44 am

Local gun store price for a streamlight TLR-1 is $139.99.

Paid $97 shipped to my door.

universal_exports
Favorite Zombie Movies: day of the dead

Post by universal_exports » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:00 am

not sure if anyone was pricing the AR stripped lower the first month Obama took office, but most were over $200.00 and I saw them gun broker for $300.00 when everyone else ran out. the suppliers could not keep up with the demand.

NX02GT
Favorite Zombie Movies: Ones with Zombies in them.

Post by NX02GT » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:26 am

Pretty much anything in the case at the "tactical store" in the exchange....actually pretty much anything in the hallway of the exchange that is not part of actual AAFES. Two examples, RC helicopters that can be had online with free shipping: $40, the store at the BX wants about 80 more. And second the SOG I've been looking at averages about 70 bucks, this store wants 109. Why would I buy that there?
Czechnology wrote: On a normal shotgun with Ghost Rings, the sight radius is significantly longer. I'd put a red dot on that thing before I ever considered those MBUS. It's like putting Pirellis on a Mail Jeep. Yeah they look cool, but the platform cannot utilize them to their potential.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:42 am

This is more funny than a big deal, because it's small change. You know those Swiss military ponchos (vomitflage) that seem to be everywhere for next to nothing? These:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/5 ... x?a=271373" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.mainemilitary.com/productca ... -p2075.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/BH1500-1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I hadn't really looked at them before, or had but only casually. But we were at Knob Creek for the machine gun shoot, which occurs twice annually on the rainiest day of Fall, and the rainiest day of Spring, or so it seems. Couple of years ago there was a surprise downpour that just totally drenched the whole place. There was a guy with one of those booths right by the front gate (by the "stage" and the back door to the cafeteria) selling 'em for ten bucks apiece. A bit steep, maybe, but people were willing to pay it due to the rain. That guy must have made a shitload of money; his location was PERFECT and everybody needed one. I saw people wearing 'em everywhere, and I'm sure 90% of them were from this dude, just because of how perfect his location was.

Anyway, Steph and I decided we didn't need to spend that much so we just got wet and went into the big show area, and walked around. Quietly in the back was a guy selling these ponchos for a fair (non rain-inflated) $2 apiece. We each bought one, and as we were so doing, a guy came up, saw us buying them, and the $2 sign, and said, "Man, I just paid ten bucks for this outside." He looked sad.

Other examples, but of me being stupid, rather than of dishonest sellers: When I was a kid (teenager), I bought an AK-47 bayonet at a gun show because I thought it looked cool and I wanted it. It appeared to be marked $40, and I had no idea what they were worth, so I handed the guy two twenties. He looked at the item, and handed me back one of my twenties. "It's been sitting there a while." I think maybe it had been mispriced, and even at $20 I may have paid more than the guy actually wanted for it, but I thought that was really cool of him to be honest like that. (As in, "It was my mistake and wouldn't have been particularly wrong of him to part a fool from his money, but it was extra cool of him that he decided not to.")

Also in my late teens, I paid $1000 for a Century Arms HK91 clone built on an FA91 cast aluminum receiver. I did the whole thing wrong. Was cruising some early, primitive gun forum in the late 1990s (I must have been between 18 and 20, so...1998 to 2000, or between the time I turned 18 and the CA assault weapons ban in 2000, right before I went away to college). I guess I read in some 80s era survivalist book that the HK91 was THE ultimate rifle for the survivalist, but that they were expensive. I had some money (an investment that had gone well, and/or student loan money I'd been frugal with), and was buying guns. So this forum dude, I don't remember the context, but he said something about having one, and I offered to buy it off of him. He said that he wasn't really thinking of selling it (I thought he had been) but that he'd take $1000 for it, with eight mags, bipod, wide and narrow handguards, sling, and some ammo. Sounded good to me, so I went for it. The guy wasn't dishonest or anything, I was just dumb.

Those rifles sell for half that, and in my opinion aren't a particularly good rifle at any price. In particular, differential expansion of the aluminum and steel parts causes "hard cocking when hot," which is a fun phrase to Google but just means that as the gun heats up, parts swell differently, making it hard to cock the charging handle; you basically have to semi-pogo the weapon: when empty, put the butt on the ground, and yank downward on the charging handle. Retain it in its hold-open slot, change mags, and then release the handle. Makes emergency reloads impossible, unless you leave a round in the chamber so you can just swap mags and keep firing. This is the "solution" I'd go to if I ever had to use this weapon in a fight. To be clear, this problem is specific to the FA91 cast aluminum receivers. The whole platform has some problems (hard recoil, and you can't adjust the gas system to reduce this because it doesn't have one, and also the bolt carrier group is weird and a pain to disassemble and especially reassemble), but they're manageable. I wish I'd bought a FAL instead (best option available at that time), and if I was going to buy a semi-auto .308/7.62NATO now, it'd be a SCAR-H (if I could afford it). As it stands, I'll make do with this rifle, put a $200 Bushnell tactical on it, just to have something to practice precision rifle shooting with, and replace the rifle if my capabilities outgrow those of the weapon. (Incidentally, I occasionally have this nagging suspicion that I may in fact have spent TWO thousand dollars on this rifle...but that's just too horrible a thought to bear, so my mind recoils in horror from the thought, and won't let me believe it. So I'm pretty sure it was just a thousand.)

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:33 pm

LOL

Dude, I live in Alaska, home of the crazy money.

MN 91-30 79 USD from AIM, local gun store $349 - because it;s an "antique" (which, I suppose it is)

Surplus 8mm ammo - over 1 USD/round. Yup - "hard to get ferren antique"

To be fair, some places are really good
400 rds 7.62 NATO 129 USD - boxer primed brass no less.

It pays to take your time and shop.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

txKingfisher
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, I am Legend, Shaun of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead

Post by txKingfisher » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:53 pm

My fiance lives in China so I end up spending quite a bit of time over there. It didn't take me long to figure out that as soon as they spot the 6'3 white guy coming down the street prices literally triple. It's so bad in some places that I have to wait around the corner and send my fiance to the store alone to get a fair price. It also helps that I speak just enough chinese that when they quote me an unreasonable price I can loudly proclaim "NI FANG PI!" (you're full of shit!) and move on tho the next vendor selling the exact same thing. That usually gets the point across and prices are adjusted accordingly.

Also we were eating at a hotel restaurant and they gave me an english menu and her a chinese menu....... same food, just printed in a different language. The prices on the english menu were 50 - 150% higher.
TEAM GREENWIRE

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:02 pm

Pawn shops are goldmines for ridiculous prices.

Case in point, there used to be a pawn shop in Port Arthur, Texas called "E-Z Pawn". Now, they might still be open and separating people from their money, but I'm not sure. Anyway, I used to love going in there and seeing how much they wanted for rusted out rifles and shotguns that looked like someone had left them in a drainage ditch for a month. The worst price I saw was on one that I swear was more rust than gun and the price they wanted was 150 bucks. I asked the manager, the only person in the store who didn't have their head up their rear end, about it. The guy looks at me, looks at the gun and says, "If I had my way, we'd melt those useless and potentially dangerous pieces of crap into something useful, like a paperweight. I'm a gun nut and it pains me to see guns like that being sold." We talk for a few minutes and I leave. I come back the next week and find out that manager was let go by the district manager for refusing to sell those guns. The guns were still there, priced outrageously, but they were eventually removed from the rack and put in the back storage room, waiting for the local PD to pick them up for their disposal program.

I've got a few more tales from that store if anyone wants to hear them. They mostly involve the used guns, though.

Arkane

Post by Arkane » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:18 pm

^ Sounds like when a certain pawn shop in Killeen burnt down and they were selling the ARs that had been in the fire - $800 a pop for Bushty ARs that you had to fight to get the charging handle back on and probably would have self destructed the first time they were fired.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:47 pm

Arkane wrote:^ Sounds like when a certain pawn shop in Killeen burnt down and they were selling the ARs that had been in the fire - $800 a pop for Bushty ARs that you had to fight to get the charging handle back on and probably would have self destructed the first time they were fired.
Depending on when that fire happened, the pawn shop I posted about probably got some of those guns.
I know they had at least one old single shot rifle that looked like someone took a flamethrower to it.

angelofwar
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead, I Am Legend

Post by angelofwar » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:11 pm

Good stories here ya'll! Nice to see I'm not crazy in my thinking! (well, as this is concerned anyways)
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts..."
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... w#p2141127

ace of shades

Post by ace of shades » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:33 am

Recently I was in the market for a new, larger caliber, CCW. I had decided on a Glock 27 so I set out, did my home work and came to the rough calculation that they should be sold out the door for around $525 to $550. When I finally had the funds to spend a local gun show came to town so I set out to see what I could find. I was floored when I finaly got to the pistol tables and found that gen 3 glocks were all marked up $650 to $700. MSRP, from what I found was $545. If they were Gen4's the MSRP would be $650. He wouldn't move on his pricing either, he just told me "thats what those things are going for now a-days". I did happen to walk by a diffferent table that had a Gen3 G27 for $500 out the door; exact same thing 3 tables down were being sold for $650. Needles to say I am now a proud ower of a G27.. and an empty pocket. It does pay to use your head and the tools at hand when you are looking for something.

*hindsight I should have saved the money and bought a Gen4, the smaller back strap fits my hands better*
I hear what you're saying - I just don't respect you enough to give a fuck about your opinion

The VolksRodders Forum - cut, weld, drive

400 Grains

Post by 400 Grains » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:24 am

In fairness, some of the internet sellers sell some accessory stuff for as low as 2-3% over distributor price. Can't run a brick and mortar store on those margins, especially if they're not buying it at distributor price. Welcome to the age of the internet.

Niblick

Post by Niblick » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:34 pm

I'm really enjoying these stories. Mine took place at a pawn shop in Hinesville, GA. They had this Bushmaster for sale that was pretty beat up and covered in UTG shit. Rails, bipod, some x4 scope I have never even heard of. It looked like the serial number was close to preban (I'm from NY and will be going back) so I asked how much. 1200$.
Me: It's not worth that much new.
Guy: I think it is.
Me: Bushmaster doesn't.

Granted, after that comment the guy was done with me and wouldn't budge. By pure luck I managed to run into the guy that ended up buying the rifle. From what I can tell, the purchase was made 4 days later for 800$. I hate being right while being a jerk at the same time.

P.S. It turned out that it was not pre ban.
You are
What you do
When it counts.

Eklipsis
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later/28 weeks later

Post by Eklipsis » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:50 pm

Happened to me over the weekend

Went to Barnes and Noble for a book. Wasnt in stock so clerk looked it up on computer...$59.99 and I can ship it to store What@@!!! I said "oh wow I saw it online for $35.00 shipped"...he says "yeah its always cheaper online than in store". It was their own website...wasnt amazon or ebay but barnes and noble's own site...crazy! whats the point of even having a store?!

If you're prepared for the Zombie Apocalypse...blizzards are a breeze.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:11 am

Got offered $250 for a mostly-new 1911 (RIA, more or less) by a local Fudd-store. Traded it the next day for a mostly-new G21SF with 2 mags. I prefer privayte sales, since neither party really has an overhead, you generally get better prices. The kicker was seeing an Enfield Mk4 (i think. the .308 bolty with removable magazine) sans magazine and with severe cosmetic damafge, listed at $350.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:26 am

Local brick and mortar store selling Mora #1s for $20 and "boyscout" Moras (with finger guards) for $25. I know the owner of the store and was talking to him about it. He was quite honest, and I ended up agreeing with him, "Nice to be the only guy in Portland selling Moras out of his shop." He's right, demand is high in PDX for them for a few reasons and no one carries them but him, and the interwebsz.

Comic Book stores are a notorious place for speculation and gouging. Not so much now but the 90s was the epitomy of this. Variant covers A, B, and C would get jacked days after release. Some times day of release. People would buy them too. Stuff like that drove me out of comics for around a decade. Those variant cover, super X-Chromium embossed, big-tittied gun chick bad girl version B comics bought for $50 as they were "collector's items" (it says so right on the cover!!) aren't worth anything now.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

landser

Post by landser » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:04 pm

We have a gun store in Oklahoma city that is very well known and a lot of well heeled people go to its near I- 40 and Mcarthur needless to say Wasr ak47 750 dollars AMD65 800 dollars lolololol I thought the store should be named ben bernakies inflationary gun store. :shock:
http://www.theprepperdude.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; your more than welcome to contribute an article if you wish

blarp
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking-dead

Post by blarp » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:00 pm

One really fair gunshop i saw was when i took a trip to a real state(gun law wise outside ca) was in utah. Impact guns. There site was allways ok. In store new ak was 350. Granted it was very basic but still they had prices i had never sean b4. In good ways mags was a few bucks more as i exspected but firearms them self are respectabul.

Braticus Caticus
Favorite Zombie Movies: Golden Girls...
What? Bea Arthur was alive?
Who knew?

Post by Braticus Caticus » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:28 pm

An AR-7 for $2.50 at a garage sale, the stock was all taped up tight (so the butt cover could not be removed) it was heavier than an empty stock would have been and the masking tape label on it stated "Gunstock- $5" :D
Cadavera animata edunt cerebra et dicunt lente "Ceeerrreeebbbrrraaa."

painiac

Post by painiac » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:00 am

Braticus Caticus wrote:An AR-7 for $2.50 at a garage sale, the stock was all taped up tight (so the butt cover could not be removed) it was heavier than an empty stock would have been and the masking tape label on it stated "Gunstock- $5" :D
Haha, that's my favorite story so far!

Ok, my turn.
I was browsing Cleland's gun store in Toledo, OH (before it burnt down, miserable fucks that they are).
They had a Mosin Nagant in the used rack. It had clearly been fired without bothering to clean all of the cosmoline out of it, and it was so abysmally rusty inside-and-out that the barrel looked like a crumbling railroad spike. Seriously, it wouldn't surprise me if the bullets would start to keyhole BEFORE they left the barrel, it was that bad. Not that this thing would be safe to fire.

They wanted $89 for it! That's what they go for in good condition! The clerk seemed to think I was unreasonable for asking, out of curiosity, why that was even on the rack.

AKFTW
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (remake), Land of the Dead, 28 Days Later, and Zombieland!

Post by AKFTW » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:29 am

Braticus Caticus wrote:An AR-7 for $2.50 at a garage sale, the stock was all taped up tight (so the butt cover could not be removed) it was heavier than an empty stock would have been and the masking tape label on it stated "Gunstock- $5" :D
You sir win the internet! :D

docdredd wrote:those pandas need to harden the fuck up

Return to “Other Gear”