What's the best tablet for under $300

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Manoos
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of em, even the bad ones

What's the best tablet for under $300

Post by Manoos » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:37 am

My wife's laptop is acting up so she wants to sell it, will get around $200 -300 for it. So I wanted to know if anyone knows of a good android tablet (I'm anti apple)? :D
Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
--Winston Churchill--

Caenus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: the ones where people turn into zombies

Re: What's the best tablet for under $300

Post by Caenus » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:49 am

I have a Toshiba Thrive. I think some of the models are right around that price range.

Full size USB port, HDMI, and SD Card reader all built in. The battery is swappable as well so you could carry an extra for lomg trips where youll be away from a recharge source. Also has a pretty active owners forum.

It is thicker than any other tab, but still much more compact than a laptop.
"If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil." - Larry the Cable Guy

Check out my Zombie Novels!; Phoenix Rising; ...and the sequel: Through the Ashes

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Resident Evil, I Am Legend, Shaun of the Dea, Army of Darkness, Dawn of the Dead

Post by bacpacjac » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:29 am

I've got an Acer A500. I like it but not for extended typing. I find the keyboard extremely annoying.
“This is the part in the movie where that guy says, "Zombies? What zombies?" just before they eat his brains. I don't want to be that guy.” ― Holly Black, Kin

My Woods Bumming Kit / My Day Hike Pack/GHB / My Personal BOB / Our Family BOB / My Youtube Channel

Charlie_Kilo
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead, Walking Dead, 28 Days Later

Post by Charlie_Kilo » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:21 am

Both the kindle fire and the nook color/tablet are pretty slick especially for casual use.

Specs:
The Nook color is $169 with a 800 MHz TI processor, 512 MB RAM, 8GB storage and a Micro SD card slot.
The Nook Tablet is $200 - $250 with a 1GHz TI OMAP4 (dual-core) processor 512MB/1GB RAM, 8/16 GB storage, and a Micro SD card slot
The Kindle fire is $200 with a 1GHz TI OMAP4 (dual-core) processor 512MB RAM, 8 GB Storage, and no Micro SD card slot.

If you need more capabilities than the stock OS offers, they're also great platforms to run a custom ROM on if you don't mind living without bluetooth, GPS, and a camera on your tablet.

Good luck!
"There's no such thing as useless people. They can always be used as a bad example, as a food source, or as target practice."
-- The Nuge

Morphace
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by Morphace » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:37 am

I have an Acer a500 also. I love it. Even the typing Don't bother me. I love some of the odd features that a lot of tablets don't have like the USB port, the mini HDMI port and the Micro SD card slot. the Micro SD card slot was a must for me. It gives the ability to expand the storage space indefinitely. The good news is some of the other androids are starting to add SD card slots.
XboxLive: OctaynOne XboxLive Clan: C.U.R.S.E.D. [CRSD] http://c-u-r-s-e-d.darkbb.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Morphace

Post by Morphace » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:41 am

I have an Acer a500 also. I love it. Even the typing Don't bother me. I love some of the odd features that a lot of tablets don't have like the USB port, the mini HDMI port and the Micro SD card slot. the Micro SD card slot was a must for me. It gives the ability to expand the storage space indefinitely. The good news is some of the other androids are starting to add SD card slots.
XboxLive: OctaynOne XboxLive Clan: C.U.R.S.E.D. [CRSD] http://c-u-r-s-e-d.darkbb.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Resident Evil, I Am Legend, Shaun of the Dea, Army of Darkness, Dawn of the Dead

Post by bacpacjac » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:30 am

Morphace wrote:I have an Acer a500 also. I love it. Even the typing Don't bother me. I love some of the odd features that a lot of tablets don't have like the USB port, the mini HDMI port and the Micro SD card slot. the Micro SD card slot was a must for me. It gives the ability to expand the storage space indefinitely. The good news is some of the other androids are starting to add SD card slots.
Good points all, Morphace. I love mine as well. Use it all the time. (Can you say addicted? Of course, that may be more the fault of social media.) The only thing that frustrates me is the typing. I must just have fat fingers. :wink: (Obviously baited. Just to fun.)
Last edited by bacpacjac on Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“This is the part in the movie where that guy says, "Zombies? What zombies?" just before they eat his brains. I don't want to be that guy.” ― Holly Black, Kin

My Woods Bumming Kit / My Day Hike Pack/GHB / My Personal BOB / Our Family BOB / My Youtube Channel

Carrion Suitcase

Post by Carrion Suitcase » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:17 pm

I'd have to second (or third) on the Acer, but I definitely back the Toshiba Thrive for several of the same reasons that Caenus gave. Not to mention the fact that if discontinued/clearance/display stuff doesn't scare you or your wife, there are certain retailers who will usually give an additional 10% off displays(I mention this because not only do I work at one of these place *cough* OfficeMax *cough*, but the Thrive was semi-recently discontinued). It's not the thinnest or necessarily the prettiest, but the rubberized backing is interchangeable to her color tastes, and it's the most versatile.

That being said the ones to likely stay away from if you're trying to force a tablet to be a laptop replacement (you CAN in some regards, but by definition tablets are meant to be companions) are the Motorola Xoom and the Samsung Galaxy tab. Both decent or even good tablets in their own right, but they have squat for ports and the branding can sometimes cause more dollar signs. Thin yes...but just not as versatile IMO.

The closest alternative without being a full "tablet" tablet would be the Nook Tablet. Again, great reasons were already given and the one thing that several people overlook with the Nook is that it's actually got a big ol' loop for a wrist strap that could save it from the tech graveyard.

Nevertheless, good luck in your mobile computation hunts.
Silent Kube wrote:Cats can't chicken out when thrown.

BigDaddyTX

Post by BigDaddyTX » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:06 pm

I like our HP Touchpad pretty well. It's small, the OS is actually pretty decent, it has a BT KB you can buy for it that makes it way more functional. They're reasonably cheap still and the OS Specific software isn't bad. Also you can install Android on it which is pretty awesome.
mzmadmike wrote: I may even buy another semiautomatic assault weapon rambo killing machine for my small penis, with lots of large capacity non-reusable clips full of armor piercing incendiary mercury tracer poisoned explosive hollowpoint glaser black talons

Morphace

Post by Morphace » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:36 am

My dad has an iPad 2, it's crap (got it for a $5 raffle ticket so he can't complain) no ports, no expandable memory and you have to sync the damn thing with iTunes to do anything. On a better note thou. A friend of mine at my church, being on a budget, bought a VIZO (yes like the TV) from Costco. It's kind of small but it actually is pretty impressive for $190.

I carry my Acer with me all over the place. It works for me, for typing letters, email, watching movies, showing potential clients my digital portfolio, even throwing together some quick sample designs.

And yes bacpacjac I am also very addicted to mine.

Rev
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Rev » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:44 am

I work for Amazon, and people seem to absolutely love the Kindle Fire.
Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

Zombie Squad Forum Rules: Read Me!
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 44&t=19895

coyotebc

Post by coyotebc » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:34 am

I love my playbook especially since the os2 was released.
All the security of blackberry plus the ability to load android apps.
I prefer the handiness of the 7 inch screen it has over the 10 inch, but I know some people prefer the larger screen

Whiskey
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil Series
Land of the Dead
28 Days/Weeks Later
Zombieland

Post by Whiskey » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:51 am

If you just want to surf the web and do some other media related things, the Kindle Fire is pretty bomber. Its small, and the Cloud is a nice function. However, one of the other tablets would probably be better for an actual computer replacement.
ZSC:034 Kansas City
Fightin' 34th "Guardians of the Frontier!"

Talon04

Post by Talon04 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:11 pm

Check out the Coby Kyros I have a MID8125 and love it I wish it has a multitouch screen but I can live without it it has a Mini usb and HDMI ports and a mini sd card slot. It runs 2.3 but to get some apps you have to root and and use lcd density to change the screen settings. All the markets are easy to add and I have yet to find an app that I cant live without that I'd have to root for.
brothaman wrote: They ARE super simple. I built mine from pins and springs with a meat mallet, a bamboo skewer, a flat screwdriver, and a 2 inch piece of painters tape. I felt like I was freaking MacGuyver.

Return to “Other Gear”