Home made armor plates

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

KnightoftheRoc

Re: Home made armor plates

Post by KnightoftheRoc » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:29 am

bigmattdaddywack wrote:
jehicks87 wrote:
bigmattdaddywack wrote:I believe your idea may help me armor myself better and cheaper.
I am not sure exactly if you're jacking with me or not... I'm not big into the PSD stuff, but am not going to call you out on anything, because I simply don't know.

However, what I do know is this...

The big companies have put millions of dollars into researching their prospective products' abilities to stop different threat levels. They make money by protecting people's lives. If their products didn't work, their customers would die and then no one would be left to buy anything from them. That said, I would (if I were seriously concerned with my well-being in a non-PAW where such products are readily available) trust a tried-and-true industry standard ballistic armor plate much more than a hobbled-together DIY kit I saw some guy post on the internet somewhere.

Again, I want to reiterate, the purpose of me sharing this with the ZS is in a "shit has gone downhill all hell has broken loose and I never bought those ballistic plates I thought were soooo cool" situation. This is a field expedient means to protect yourself when all other resources are no longer available. I would like to also point out I will be testing this for myself this weekend, and as of yet only have the word of my buddy to go off of.
Not jacking with you alone. Waiting for someone to figure it out. I could not resist. :lol:
Are we never to be rid of him? :lol:

jehicks88- he's quoting (sorta- I'm not looking it up to be sure) a rather famous internet goofball who posted as "an expert" all sorts of "this crap will get you killed dead if you try it" type stuff. However, once you set aside the serious way he presented it, it makes for piss your pants funny reading.
silentpoet wrote: My first two warning shots are aimed center of mass. If that don't warn them I fire warning shots at their head until they are warned enough that I am no longer in fear for my life.

zenger

Post by zenger » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:32 am

Subbed

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

bigmattdaddywack
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Shaun of the dead, dawn of the dead, 28 days later,Hide and Creep, Night of the living dead, Undead, Return of the Living Dead.
Not truly zombie movies but, Evil Dead I and II, Army of darkness

Post by bigmattdaddywack » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:41 am

He was a genius. He pissed off so many people when he was making one of the greatest internet personas of all time. I am thankful we have great men like him watching us(well those who go) when we go to Hot Topic or Abercrombie and Fitch.

I wish I had his skillz and training.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ejd2rsXoQSI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grq0rhtbtAw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KnightoftheRoc

Post by KnightoftheRoc » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:34 am

Well, if you're going to tip your hand with the mall ninja references, I'll take pity on the poor guy, and clue him in. For your reading enjoyment (just don't drink anything you don't want on your keyboard or screen): http://lonelymachines.org/mall-ninjas/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . The read is fantastic. And, if it somehow leaves you wanting moar, search here on ZS for posts by Furpiles. Not as good as Gecko45, but entertaining in that "point and laugh at the retarded kid" way. You know it's mean to do it, but dammit, you can't HELP it. :lol: btw, he also can be found on MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/tacticalsecurityenforcer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FWIW, when I joined ZS, the term mall ninja meant something else entirely to me. We had in my area, some teenagers who would tie up a "ninja mask" from a black tee shirt, and go around the mall acting all ninja-like, except for the fact we could, you know- SEE THEM.

ZS has opened my eyes in so many ways....that I wish they hadn't! Oh, the things I've seen here- shocking!
Last edited by KnightoftheRoc on Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
silentpoet wrote: My first two warning shots are aimed center of mass. If that don't warn them I fire warning shots at their head until they are warned enough that I am no longer in fear for my life.

jehicks87

Post by jehicks87 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:36 am

bigmattdaddywack wrote:
jehicks87 wrote:
bigmattdaddywack wrote:I believe your idea may help me armor myself better and cheaper.
I am not sure exactly if you're jacking with me or not... I'm not big into the PSD stuff, but am not going to call you out on anything, because I simply don't know.

However, what I do know is this...

The big companies have put millions of dollars into researching their prospective products' abilities to stop different threat levels. They make money by protecting people's lives. If their products didn't work, their customers would die and then no one would be left to buy anything from them. That said, I would (if I were seriously concerned with my well-being in a non-PAW where such products are readily available) trust a tried-and-true industry standard ballistic armor plate much more than a hobbled-together DIY kit I saw some guy post on the internet somewhere.

Again, I want to reiterate, the purpose of me sharing this with the ZS is in a "shit has gone downhill all hell has broken loose and I never bought those ballistic plates I thought were soooo cool" situation. This is a field expedient means to protect yourself when all other resources are no longer available. I would like to also point out I will be testing this for myself this weekend, and as of yet only have the word of my buddy to go off of.
Not jacking with you alone. Waiting for someone to figure it out. I could not resist. :lol:
Ha. I was sitting here thinking "this guy cannot be ****ing serious..." but I didn't want to be a dick. lol
My Youtube Channel... please visit, like, and subscribe! http://www.youtube.com/user/JHP762" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
civvie wrote:By purchasing fewer things you can afford better things.
NCO to me: "I'll give you a hint... it rhymes with 'no'."
Me to NCO: "F'sho? It's f'sho, isn't it?"

All I smell is Gin, and Smoke, and Lies...

bigmattdaddywack
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Shaun of the dead, dawn of the dead, 28 days later,Hide and Creep, Night of the living dead, Undead, Return of the Living Dead.
Not truly zombie movies but, Evil Dead I and II, Army of darkness

Post by bigmattdaddywack » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:50 am

Here are the writings of the great Gecko 45.
http://lonelymachines.org/mall-ninjas/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ejd2rsXoQSI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grq0rhtbtAw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Foxy

Post by Foxy » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:11 pm

bigmattdaddywack wrote:Here are the writings of the great Gecko 45.
Man I forgot how good a read that was, I only wish they had the original thread :twisted:

Also, maybe somewhat pertinent to this thread (probably not but) Masterlocks are a poor choice for stopping a 55grain fmj 5.56. However on the flip side I have confirmed Hollywood physics that you can shoot a lock off whatever its locking :mrgreen:

jehicks87

Post by jehicks87 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:08 pm

Sorry guys, looks like I won't be getting on this for at least another 3-4 weeks. I'm heading out to some training in Colorado until mid-April :roll: So, I'll update when I get back.
My Youtube Channel... please visit, like, and subscribe! http://www.youtube.com/user/JHP762" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
civvie wrote:By purchasing fewer things you can afford better things.
NCO to me: "I'll give you a hint... it rhymes with 'no'."
Me to NCO: "F'sho? It's f'sho, isn't it?"

All I smell is Gin, and Smoke, and Lies...

Gray Gator

Post by Gray Gator » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:35 pm

I knew of this a few years back based on cornstarch.

http://www.nano.org.uk/news/779/
Find us on Facebook / Twin Ports Zombie Squad Zsc049‎
“Preparing gives you choices, not preparing gives you absolutely nothing"

SpecOps94

Post by SpecOps94 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:37 am

I'm working on a prototype that has taken repeated .380 shots from less than 25 feet. it only takes glass, fiberglass cloth, and epoxy, and duct tape. I believe it will stand .223 rounds but haven't tested. A 4x4 inch square weighs only a few pounds, is 1 inch thick, and costs around 12 dollars to make. If you want email me michael.fiene2012@gmail.com and ill give you step by step instructions, but its fairly self explanatory. If interested let me know...I joined here to share what I figured out. Btw, it should take a .45 as well.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:45 am

Just so you understand, a 5.56 has 10 times the energy of a .380.

Ten.

And if a 4x4" plate is a few pounds, a 8x10 plate would weigh about 12lb, right? so thats 24lb of armor to be NIJ II?
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:58 am

crypto wrote:Just so you understand, a 5.56 has 10 times the energy of a .380.

Ten.

And if a 4x4" plate is a few pounds, a 8x10 plate would weigh about 12lb, right? so thats 24lb of armor to be NIJ II?
Assuming it will fit in a condor plate carrier, you could have a 30lb vest that would protect you from .380 and maybe .45ACP for only $120!!!
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

congochris

Post by congochris » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:08 am

He said .308, I thought, not .380? Good bit of difference there. :shock:

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:14 am

congochris wrote:He said .308, I thought, not .380? Good bit of difference there. :shock:
Scroll up. It most definitely says .380 and not .308, which is quite the difference.

nathat

Post by nathat » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:21 pm

I'd be interested in some information on this. Could be fun just to see what it would stop, and just to mess with around the farm.

BigDaddyTX

Post by BigDaddyTX » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:10 pm

I wish I had copied the Craiglist ad I saw for home made plates. They were cutting them out of 1/4" or so steel plate and bending them IIRC. They were pretty cheap, but not a bent plate of steel cheap. I wonder if they considered the liability if it doesn't work.
mzmadmike wrote: I may even buy another semiautomatic assault weapon rambo killing machine for my small penis, with lots of large capacity non-reusable clips full of armor piercing incendiary mercury tracer poisoned explosive hollowpoint glaser black talons

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:13 pm

BigDaddyTX wrote:I wish I had copied the Craiglist ad I saw for home made plates. They were cutting them out of 1/4" or so steel plate and bending them IIRC. They were pretty cheap, but not a bent plate of steel cheap. I wonder if they considered the liability if it doesn't work.
What were they claiming 1/4" of steel was gonna stop? If they heat trated it, they might stop some handgun rounds. If it wasn't heat treated after bending, then I don't think they were worried about anyone surviving to file a liability suit.

gun toting monkeyboy

Post by gun toting monkeyboy » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:41 pm

I had fun messing around with home-made armor for a few years. There is a plastic store not more than a few blocks from where I work. And a shooting range right across the street from it. I found the best stuff they had wasn't the ballistic glass (well, laminated polycarbonate, but same uses). The best bullet resistant stuff they had to offer was G10 plates. I picked up several larger pieces from their scrap bins, and tested them across the street. The 1 inch thick sheet did the best. It would stop 9mm and .45 with barely a pockmark or scuff on the surface of it. It even managed to stop a 7.62x39 round. The problem was that a 5.56 could get through it. And a .308 made an even bigger hole. Between that, the weight (the better part of 10 pounds for a 10x12), and the cost, it just wasn't worth it. I could have had them make plates for me, but it would have cost more than real plates, and wouldn't have been more effective. That was one of the reasons I tracked down the guy with the body armor company in the first place. I am at work, so I can't go watch the video, but I am going to try to hit it when I get home. As much as I like my new armor, I still have a special place in my heart for the home-made stuff.

-Mb

GentryMillMan

Post by GentryMillMan » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:59 pm

bigmattdaddywack wrote:Last year I made the decision to trust my life on the street to Second Chance body armor. I got the level IIa because it stops the most rounds. plus I got the Trauma Plate for the front.

What scares me is that, although I can fit an extra trauma plate in the front, I cannot fit a second one in back. As of late I have taken to duct-taping a second trauma plate to the area of my back where the heart and vital organs are located. Then I put my vest on.

Here is the questions. The ducttape solution, although tactically sound, is hot and painful to remove. I would like to go to the single-plate solution in back. What I am worried about is repeated hits to that area with .308 ammunition. I have a high-risk security job and I fear that I would be the target for repeated long-distance shots to my back.

Are any of you aware of a thicker plate that could stop, say, .338 Lapua or something like that? Is there a better way to do the second plate?

BTW, I am, of course, usually carrying a pair of ceramic plates in my briefcase so that I can shield my head. My SO (we work as a team when necessary) has a similar accessory containing a breakdown NEF single-shot 300 WinMag with an 18" bbl. The plan is that I shield us with my body and “catch the rounds” while she assembles the NEF. I lay down covering fire with my 23 (Bar-Sto .357 Sig barrel) and she makes the long shots. I will then throw smoke grenades to obscure the area while continuing to lay covering fire. The problem, of course, is when I have to turn my back to run, and then the problem crops up.

I believe your idea may help me armor myself better and cheaper.
I made it all the way to the second sentence before I said "Hey wait a minute.. I have read this before..." I skimmed down through the paragraph and realized that somewhere deep down inside me is a mall ninja and somehow Gecko45 is their god... :shock:

Then I promptly laughed my mother f---ing ass off!!! :clap:
"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts.. . for support rather than illumination." - Andrew Lang (1844-1912)
"The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." - John Steinbeck

kcor_77
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them

Post by kcor_77 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:58 pm

Gecko 45 may he live on as stuff of legends or not.
Tomorrow's an illusion
Yesterday's a dream
Today is a solution

Dasho101
Favorite Zombie Movies: Range 15

Post by Dasho101 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:21 am

im still trying to find the original blue wire thread. Any one who links it gets three Internets. Also depending on if i still have it in the shed i might try and make some of this and set it up for testing. just did a bunch of body work for my car so may still have some fiber glass left. For testing im thanking using clay or what not to simulate a torso unless some one has better ideas.
Last edited by Dasho101 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeriah wrote:
My Sig functions on Teutonic Gnome Magic, thank you very much.
Remember Nancy Reagan? "JUST SAY NO!"

Sins

Post by Sins » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:11 pm

Wow! .... Just wow!
I was reading that whilst my wife looked at me saying "what the heck is so funny? "

NachoGummyBear

Post by NachoGummyBear » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:28 pm

I wasn't gonna jump in here, but my friend Vodka kinda forced me.

DO YOU HAVE A FUCKING DEATH WISH?!?!?

Look, if you can make armour plates at home that are usefull, great, I know I don't have the cash to buy them. But unless you know the specs and methods for making them, I'd just save the money and buy some proven plates from a tried and tested company.

Also, please do not strap it on and test it, I reallt don't want to see that on CNN.

"MAN KILLED TESTING OUT HOMEMADE BODY ARMOUR"
Marlin .22
Walther PK380
Kel-Tec Sub-2000 (Glock 22 model)
Savage Axis
Taurus 24/7 Gen 2 9mm
More to come...

tedbeau

Post by tedbeau » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:42 pm

Yeah I remmber actually seeing the REAL, (if he could be considered real) Gecko45 on another forum for a while. Was he active here at ZS also or is he known here just by his reputation? I have seen the above lonelymachine link posted before, but from what I recall there were several others just as far out there threads over a few months that I would love to be able to re-read.

I do know I always feel much safer when I go to the mall knowing that Gecko45 has my back!

Return to “Other Gear”