Home made armor plates

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Re: Home made armor plates

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:01 pm

tedbeau wrote:
bigmattdaddywack wrote:Here are the writings of the great Gecko 45.
http://lonelymachines.org/mall-ninjas/

Yeah I remmber actually seeing the REAL, (if he could be considered real) Gecko45 on another forum for a while. Was he active here at ZS also or is he known here just by his reputation? I have seen the above lonelymachine link posted before, but from what I recall there were several others just as far out there threads over a few months that I would love to be able to re-read.

I do know I always feel much safer when I go to the mall knowing that Gecko45 has my back!
IIRC, the OG Gecko45 was on HKtalk. He was never here, just infamous by reputation.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

gun toting monkeyboy

Post by gun toting monkeyboy » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:29 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
tedbeau wrote:
bigmattdaddywack wrote:Here are the writings of the great Gecko 45.
http://lonelymachines.org/mall-ninjas/

Yeah I remmber actually seeing the REAL, (if he could be considered real) Gecko45 on another forum for a while. Was he active here at ZS also or is he known here just by his reputation? I have seen the above lonelymachine link posted before, but from what I recall there were several others just as far out there threads over a few months that I would love to be able to re-read.

I do know I always feel much safer when I go to the mall knowing that Gecko45 has my back!
IIRC, the OG Gecko45 was on HKtalk. He was never here, just infamous by reputation.

He is an internet god. Links to that post show up any time some noob starts spouting some mall-ninja series of posts on just about any gun forum out there. As for the blue wire, this is the only board I have ever seen reference it. What is the deal behind that one?

-Mb

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:35 pm

No, we never had the pleasure of knowing Gecko45.

We did have an actual heated thread about tactical wheelbarrows though. Lord that was awesome.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

docdredd

Post by docdredd » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:37 pm

I remember that one! It got pretty heated..... :lol:
SMoAF wrote:

It's always a mistake to confuse general affability with the inability to do harm.

Vicarious_Lee

I dunked a bitch's head in a bucket of ice water one time when she was OD-ing on Xanax. Worked great, but there was a LOT of paperwork afterward. :lol:

Sins

Post by Sins » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:12 pm

NachoGummyBear wrote:I wasn't gonna jump in here, but my friend Vodka kinda forced me.

DO YOU HAVE A FUCKING DEATH WISH?!?!?

Look, if you can make armour plates at home that are usefull, great, I know I don't have the cash to buy them. But unless you know the specs and methods for making them, I'd just save the money and buy some proven plates from a tried and tested company.

Also, please do not strap it on and test it, I reallt don't want to see that on CNN.

"MAN KILLED TESTING OUT HOMEMADE BODY ARMOUR"
I have experimented with homemade body Armor. I see nothing wrong with it. I honestly don't have $300 to spend on something I will likely never use.
I have been successful in stopping bullets. By successful I mean I can empty a magazine on it without any penetration. I HAVE NEVER TRIED IT ON MYSELF OR A LIVING TARGET. The way I figure, if the day comes I ever NEED protection, its better to have something than nothing, no matter the standards of that something. . . It has to be better than nothing.
I still frequent the hardware store once in a while trying to improve my design.
Honestly it's just fun ... I don't intend to be a tactical commando. I do intend to shoot at shit in the woods. Sometimes I like seeing something other than the bullet winning.

I don't claim to have the greatest new Armor plates you can make yourself for real cheap . . . So don't ask what I use.
I dont want some numb nuts putting a hole in their chest cause they have the gonads to actually try it out for real.

JohnnyMayhem

Post by JohnnyMayhem » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:33 pm

This just reminds me of the wack job ren fair people that was flat out convinced that their chain mail armor will stop bullets.
Art Vs Mayhem
www.johnnymayhem.com

KnightoftheRoc

Post by KnightoftheRoc » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:37 pm

JohnnyMayhem wrote:This just reminds me of the wack job ren fair people that was flat out convinced that their chain mail armor will stop bullets.
:shock:
I happen to BE one of those wack-job rennies, and I wear chain mail (in stainless). I don't understand how ANYONE would get the idea that chain mail, of all the forms of armor out there, would stop a bullet- it doesn't even stop an ARROW. I don't know what faires you've been meeting these people at, but they're a very special kind of stupid.
silentpoet wrote: My first two warning shots are aimed center of mass. If that don't warn them I fire warning shots at their head until they are warned enough that I am no longer in fear for my life.

Acquisitor
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Acquisitor » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:12 pm

I recently saw an episode of Rocket City Rednecks where they made an armored suit that weighed less than an interceptor vest. I remember they used Ultra-High-Molecular-Weight-Polyethylene and Line-X bedliner. I can't recall if they used additional components. They tested for gunfire and explosion protection, and ended by running the Marine Corps Marathon wearing the suit to show its maneuverability.

The first time I read the Gecko45 stuff on LonelyMachines, I remember thinking, "Why doesn't he just duct tape a stand-alone plate to the inside of his vest instead of taping it to his body?" I then realized that it wasn't the kind of article you want to think about while reading.

JohnnyMayhem

Post by JohnnyMayhem » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:19 pm

Knight, it was mainly from working ren fairs (doing the fire eating and sword swallowing). Plus knowing people in the re-enactment groups that run around with boffers but get really pissy when you call them larpers. (funny I don't remember there being any bat-leth used at any major wars in the middle ages)

Oh and they had the usual galvanized 14 gauge butted end 4 on 4 style stuff going on.
Art Vs Mayhem
www.johnnymayhem.com

zombiegristle

Post by zombiegristle » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:58 am

JohnnyMayhem wrote:Knight, it was mainly from working ren fairs (doing the fire eating and sword swallowing). Plus knowing people in the re-enactment groups that run around with boffers but get really pissy when you call them larpers. (funny I don't remember there being any bat-leth used at any major wars in the middle ages)

Oh and they had the usual galvanized 14 gauge butted end 4 on 4 style stuff going on.
I'm pretty sure 14 gauge is rated at least NIJ level IIa. I used to make hard stainless maille using 14-gauge 1/4" rings that was quite stiff, I'd be surprised if even a .30-06 could get through that weave. Maybe a 5.7x28mm, we all know how hard it is to stop those small-caliber, high-velocity rounds.

I've heard some folklore about high-level maillers making stuff out of welded titanium that they're shipping to guys overseas to wear under those crappy flak vests, they claim it can stop a .50 Russian but I'm skeptical until I can get my hands on some - unfortunately, they only sell to military/LEO customers.
"It is better to have one and not need it, than to need one and not have it."
-- Condom Rule
"Everybody gets one."
-- Spiderman Rule

docdredd

Post by docdredd » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:20 am

zombiegristle wrote:
JohnnyMayhem wrote:Knight, it was mainly from working ren fairs (doing the fire eating and sword swallowing). Plus knowing people in the re-enactment groups that run around with boffers but get really pissy when you call them larpers. (funny I don't remember there being any bat-leth used at any major wars in the middle ages)

I'm pretty sure 14 gauge is rated at least NIJ level IIa. I used to make hard stainless maille using 14-gauge 1/4" rings that was quite stiff, I'd be surprised if even a .30-06 could get through that weave. Maybe a 5.7x28mm, we all know how hard it is to stop those small-caliber, high-velocity rounds.

I've heard some folklore about high-level maillers making stuff out of welded titanium that they're shipping to guys overseas to wear under those crappy flak vests, they claim it can stop a .50 Russian but I'm skeptical until I can get my hands on some - unfortunately, they only sell to military/LEO customers.

This entire comment was supposed to be in blue right?
SMoAF wrote:

It's always a mistake to confuse general affability with the inability to do harm.

Vicarious_Lee

I dunked a bitch's head in a bucket of ice water one time when she was OD-ing on Xanax. Worked great, but there was a LOT of paperwork afterward. :lol:

Sins

Post by Sins » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:22 pm

Let the medieval madness begin :-D

zombiegristle

Post by zombiegristle » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:46 am

docdredd wrote:This entire comment was supposed to be in blue right?
I ain't a part of your system.
"It is better to have one and not need it, than to need one and not have it."
-- Condom Rule
"Everybody gets one."
-- Spiderman Rule

bigmattdaddywack
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Shaun of the dead, dawn of the dead, 28 days later,Hide and Creep, Night of the living dead, Undead, Return of the Living Dead.
Not truly zombie movies but, Evil Dead I and II, Army of darkness

Post by bigmattdaddywack » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:51 am

crypto wrote:No, we never had the pleasure of knowing Gecko45.

We did have an actual heated thread about tactical wheelbarrows though. Lord that was awesome.
I must find it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ejd2rsXoQSI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grq0rhtbtAw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:48 pm

AAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Ok so before I actually signed up here I had been looking at other sites and always heard the mallninja thing so I found a site that had the entire thread posted and I cannot tell you how hard I laughed! and when I saw this thread I instantly knew mall ninja would pop up again! low and behold you did not fail me!!

With that said I love the tactical wheelbarrow post that was some good laughs.

I'm interested in anything DIY even armor plates! cant wait for updates!!
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

gun toting monkeyboy

Post by gun toting monkeyboy » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:14 pm

zombiegristle wrote:

Yes, they really need to come up with a sarcasm font. People might not get that you are pulling a Gecko45 here otherwise.

-Mb

KentsOkay
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by KentsOkay » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:49 pm

Blue text is the accepted sarcasm indicator.
0122358 wrote:so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Unofficial FB for ZSC XXX http://www.facebook.com/groups/156431031119773

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:59 am

KentsOkay wrote:Blue text is the accepted sarcasm indicator.
For most of us it has become the

"I've nothing useful to post but want to up my post count" indicator.

Apologies for Brevity. Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
Man is a beast of prey

FelixArchon

Post by FelixArchon » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:56 pm

crypto wrote:No, we never had the pleasure of knowing Gecko45.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ahh, nostalgia.

Although Gunkid was never more than a poser to Gecko's throne, that thread is right up there with the 'Extra visible inch' thread as my all-time ZS favorite.

And all of a sudden, I really miss Gundown.

congochris

Post by congochris » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:20 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:
congochris wrote:He said .308, I thought, not .380? Good bit of difference there. :shock:
Scroll up. It most definitely says .380 and not .308, which is quite the difference.
Aaaand, I was thinking of the OP. Now I look like an idiot. Eh, I'm used to it. :lol:

KentsOkay
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by KentsOkay » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:58 pm

the_alias wrote:
KentsOkay wrote:Blue text is the accepted sarcasm indicator.
For most of us it has become the

"I've nothing useful to post but want to up my post count" indicator.

Apologies for Brevity. Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
Momma always always told me not to look into the eyes of the sun.

I can feel the burn.
0122358 wrote:so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Unofficial FB for ZSC XXX http://www.facebook.com/groups/156431031119773

feedthedog

Post by feedthedog » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:00 pm

Figured that I would drop this here instead of starting a new thread.

I've seen a few mentions of residential "bullet proofing" around in the survivalist world. Folks seem to lean toward sandbags or the old gravel filled wall. I understand the desire to live in a semi bullet resistant structure. I live in a sort of sketchy part of town that is also very close to a major sports arena. Its not uncommon in my hood to find bullets stuck in your roof or sitting in your gutter.

Anyways, I was looking for used bullet resistant glass to build stuff and I found this on craigslist. It is supposedly $13 per sq/ft for level III. http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/for/3568918738.html This looks like a way better idea than trying to fill your walls with gravel. It doesn't look like crap, and won't require major structural modifications. If I was going to do something like this, I would probably put it behind wainscoting on the front rooms of my house. I could also see using this for a safe room, or even the exterior walls of a kid's room.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:47 am

KnightoftheRoc wrote:
JohnnyMayhem wrote:This just reminds me of the wack job ren fair people that was flat out convinced that their chain mail armor will stop bullets.
:shock:
I happen to BE one of those wack-job rennies, and I wear chain mail (in stainless). I don't understand how ANYONE would get the idea that chain mail, of all the forms of armor out there, would stop a bullet- it doesn't even stop an ARROW. I don't know what faires you've been meeting these people at, but they're a very special kind of stupid.
Chain maille was marketed as a bulletproof vest in the Old West. How widespread this was I don't know; it's in that Ad Nordbook "Weapons" book, mentioned in passing. This isn't to say it worked: snake oil was marketed as well. But my point is that at least in the 1890s, people believed that they could get other people to believe that it would work, enough to try to sell it to 'em.

And then it came back in WWI as a drape to protect tank crew's faces from shrapnel. So, maybe Level I?

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:51 am

Remember also the much lower pressures and velocities of BP firearms. There were accounts of small-caliber BP revolvers being defeated by the layered silks of Japanese assassins or swordsmen.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Return to “Other Gear”