It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:56 pm 

Just wanted to give my fellow ZS'ers a heads up these: http://www.altama.com/products/5888-tan ... plite-boot boots are comfortable and light but they are the hottest boot I have wore in a long damn time.

Wearing these things for 12-16 hours a day even changing out my socks and my feet are horrible at night. They will make a great winter/cold weather boot if you tend to have hot feet, but dont take these things to the sand box with you. Ill switch back to Exospeeds (4th or 5th pair) this spring but wont be buying another pair of Hoplites.

Instructor at Milcopp Tactical

CEO of http://movementtocontact.com/index.html

Please also like us on Facebook!

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:39 am 
ZS Member
ZS Member

I went with the Converse Desert Boots when I was in the box. I wore them comfortably for 3 years there and still wear them everyday three years later!

My INCH Bag
My Ultimate Altoid Tin
My Bug-In Solar Lights
My Wilderness Ditch Kit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:22 pm 

'm civilian who's been wearing Hoplites every day or the past two years. I have zero complaints about them as footwear, but I don't use them in a desert environment. For day-to-day, they are fine.

Quote:
"Can you consider an article 'peer-reviewed' if the 'peers' you associate with are busily prepping for an impending zombie apocalypse? Damn right you can! :D"-DannusMaximus

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:26 pm 

LaserCool wrote:
'm civilian who's been wearing Hoplites every day or the past two years. I have zero complaints about them as footwear, but I don't use them in a desert environment. For day-to-day, they are fine.

I dont use them for a desert environment either but I wore them for 14 hours today, most of which on my feet and they are hot, I never had to change my socks unless road marching with my exospeeds.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:30 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

For hot weather use, I like the normal Altama desert boots. Paid around $100 for them, forget which retailer they were from, but I did make sure they were USA made. Not all Altamas are, but I only buy American boots. Have had too much bad luck with imports.

I've always been skeptical of the sport-tactical tennis shoe type boots. I know some people swear they're comfortable, but I just don't trust 'em.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:44 pm 

Jeriah wrote:
For hot weather use, I like the normal Altama desert boots. Paid around $100 for them, forget which retailer they were from, but I did make sure they were USA made. Not all Altamas are, but I only buy American boots. Have had too much bad luck with imports.

I've always been skeptical of the sport-tactical tennis shoe type boots. I know some people swear they're comfortable, but I just don't trust 'em.

They are super comfortable and super lite but they wear out fast with heavy use.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:50 pm 
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

gravediggerfour wrote:
Jeriah wrote:

They are super comfortable and super lite but they wear out fast with heavy use.

Yeah, that's a deal breaker for me.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:33 pm 

Looks at tongue on boot Yup, made in China Altima Hoplites. Got them as a freebie from a family member who's ex-Army and teaching ROTC at a high school. He got them from the ROTC program and had extras. The ones on my feet are two years old next month, and fit fine, have worn well. No complaints.

I guess MMV'd.

Quote:
"Can you consider an article 'peer-reviewed' if the 'peers' you associate with are busily prepping for an impending zombie apocalypse? Damn right you can! :D"-DannusMaximus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:41 pm 

I really like my Bates U.S.M.C. Durashocks Lightweight Desert Boots, though I've never used them outside of WI climate. Wore my first pair till my feet went up half a size, then bought 2 pair to prevent one from wearing out prematurely. One got flood damaged, but still works great. Smells funny, visible stains, but they work great. Those are going in the BOB...

If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:
I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:29 am 

It's either Danner Desert acadias for boots or Merrell Evo Chameleons for shoes. When I get the coin together, I'll be getting a new pair of boots. Danners are supreme in my book, but I just can't seem to find a right fit. OP's review is a great help in narrowing down the choice.

Thanks GD4.

Never did sling load that Gama Goat.

Image You can't stop the signal.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:53 pm 

Just saw these for a ridiculously low price: http://www.lapolicegear.com/altama-342303-hoplite-temperate.html

Standby for another riveting Dabster Review! :roll: