Altama Hoplite boots buyer beware.

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Chris@MTCT

Altama Hoplite boots buyer beware.

Post by Chris@MTCT » Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:56 pm

Just wanted to give my fellow ZS'ers a heads up these: http://www.altama.com/products/5888-tan ... plite-boot" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; boots are comfortable and light but they are the hottest boot I have wore in a long damn time.

Wearing these things for 12-16 hours a day even changing out my socks and my feet are horrible at night. They will make a great winter/cold weather boot if you tend to have hot feet, but dont take these things to the sand box with you. Ill switch back to Exospeeds (4th or 5th pair) this spring but wont be buying another pair of Hoplites.
sigboy40 wrote: I carry around magical kit faeries that keep all my stuff in place. This way I dont lose anything.
Instructor at Milcopp Tactical

CEO of http://movementtocontact.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please also like us on Facebook!

ODA 226
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Altama Hoplite boots buyer beware.

Post by ODA 226 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:39 am

I went with the Converse Desert Boots when I was in the box. I wore them comfortably for 3 years there and still wear them everyday three years later!
Bitka Sve Rešava!
NEVER SACRIFICE SECURITY FOR SPEED!
B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

My INCH Bag
My Ultimate Altoid Tin
My Bug-In Solar Lights
My Wilderness Ditch Kit

LaserCool
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido.

Post by LaserCool » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:22 pm

'm civilian who's been wearing Hoplites every day or the past two years. I have zero complaints about them as footwear, but I don't use them in a desert environment. For day-to-day, they are fine.
"Can you consider an article 'peer-reviewed' if the 'peers' you associate with are busily prepping for an impending zombie apocalypse? Damn right you can! :D"-DannusMaximus

Chris@MTCT

Post by Chris@MTCT » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:26 pm

LaserCool wrote:'m civilian who's been wearing Hoplites every day or the past two years. I have zero complaints about them as footwear, but I don't use them in a desert environment. For day-to-day, they are fine.
I dont use them for a desert environment either but I wore them for 14 hours today, most of which on my feet and they are hot, I never had to change my socks unless road marching with my exospeeds.
sigboy40 wrote: I carry around magical kit faeries that keep all my stuff in place. This way I dont lose anything.

CEO of http://movementtocontact.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:30 pm

For hot weather use, I like the normal Altama desert boots. Paid around $100 for them, forget which retailer they were from, but I did make sure they were USA made. Not all Altamas are, but I only buy American boots. Have had too much bad luck with imports.

I've always been skeptical of the sport-tactical tennis shoe type boots. I know some people swear they're comfortable, but I just don't trust 'em.

Chris@MTCT

Post by Chris@MTCT » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:44 pm

Jeriah wrote:For hot weather use, I like the normal Altama desert boots. Paid around $100 for them, forget which retailer they were from, but I did make sure they were USA made. Not all Altamas are, but I only buy American boots. Have had too much bad luck with imports.

I've always been skeptical of the sport-tactical tennis shoe type boots. I know some people swear they're comfortable, but I just don't trust 'em.
They are super comfortable and super lite but they wear out fast with heavy use.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:50 pm

gravediggerfour wrote:
Jeriah wrote:For hot weather use, I like the normal Altama desert boots. Paid around $100 for them, forget which retailer they were from, but I did make sure they were USA made. Not all Altamas are, but I only buy American boots. Have had too much bad luck with imports.

They are super comfortable and super lite but they wear out fast with heavy use.
Yeah, that's a deal breaker for me.

LaserCool
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido.

Post by LaserCool » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:33 pm

Looks at tongue on boot Yup, made in China Altima Hoplites. Got them as a freebie from a family member who's ex-Army and teaching ROTC at a high school. He got them from the ROTC program and had extras. The ones on my feet are two years old next month, and fit fine, have worn well. No complaints.

I guess MMV'd.
"Can you consider an article 'peer-reviewed' if the 'peers' you associate with are busily prepping for an impending zombie apocalypse? Damn right you can! :D"-DannusMaximus

Kutter_0311
Favorite Zombie Movies: too many to get into...

Post by Kutter_0311 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:41 pm

I really like my Bates U.S.M.C. Durashocks Lightweight Desert Boots, though I've never used them outside of WI climate. Wore my first pair till my feet went up half a size, then bought 2 pair to prevent one from wearing out prematurely. One got flood damaged, but still works great. Smells funny, visible stains, but they work great. Those are going in the BOB...
JAYNE COBB wrote: Well, what you plan and what takes place ain't ever exactly been similar.
TravisM.1 wrote:If a rifle is an option, a rifle is usually the answer.
minengr wrote:I've said it numerous times, a quality rig is only as good as it's weakest link. Which usually is the nut behind the butt.

Molon Labe

Post by Molon Labe » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:29 am

It's either Danner Desert acadias for boots or Merrell Evo Chameleons for shoes. When I get the coin together, I'll be getting a new pair of boots. Danners are supreme in my book, but I just can't seem to find a right fit. OP's review is a great help in narrowing down the choice.

Thanks GD4.
Molon labe: Underwater Fire Starter-
"Tis' not shackles of iron that will chain the people, but apathy. Twill' not be weapons of steel that will keep them free, but the will to act."
Thor wrote: Never did sling load that Gama Goat.
Image You can't stop the signal.

Dabster

Post by Dabster » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:53 pm

Just saw these for a ridiculously low price: http://www.lapolicegear.com/altama-3423 ... erate.html

Standby for another riveting Dabster Review! :roll:
Shiney side out... Shiney side out...

Return to “Other Gear”