It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 475 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:58 pm 

Mister Dark wrote:
AKFTW, is that a BCS TAP panel, or the "regular ak chest rig? (understnading that it was modded at the factory) I am considering the regular, but with 3 mag panels. Would be pretty low pro, but still give me room on the sides for admin/fak/pistol pouches. For my use, any more than 3 mags is overkill, but I like having the extra real estate for bits n pieces...

It's based off the regular AK rig- not a fan of the shape of the TAP panel. I run my FAK and Pistol pouches on my battle belt, but having used this rig over the weekend I really love the placement of everything- though the ATS shingle is getting swapped for a HSGI Taco.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:31 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

AKFTW wrote:
Mister Dark wrote:
AKFTW, is that a BCS TAP panel, or the "regular ak chest rig? (understnading that it was modded at the factory) I am considering the regular, but with 3 mag panels. Would be pretty low pro, but still give me room on the sides for admin/fak/pistol pouches. For my use, any more than 3 mags is overkill, but I like having the extra real estate for bits n pieces...

It's based off the regular AK rig- not a fan of the shape of the TAP panel. I run my FAK and Pistol pouches on my battle belt, but having used this rig over the weekend I really love the placement of everything- though the ATS shingle is getting swapped for a HSGI Taco.

Interesting. I am thinking the extra webbing would give me more capability, while still remaining fairly lo-viz. (as low viz as a chest rig can be, that is)- waiting on an email from bcs to put the order thru. What mods did you get with the rig? At first glance, it looks stock... ?

Random stuff you really should buy from me. (Updated May 1, 2016

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:10 am 

This is my chest rig for grabbing and running out side to see what is going on. Or seeing what went bump in the night. It isn't set up for a prolonged anything. I have a much heavier, more involved set up for that. One that is set up to go over body armor, and have enough supplies to keep me out and about for at least a day or two. This one just has room for an armor plate in front, 8 mags (more that I will possibly ever need if I use this set up), a medical kit, a radio, a holster for a sidearm (where the beacon flashlight is sticking out of)and a currently empty pocket where I can either stuff spent mags or store other gear. I also use it frequently when I go play airsoft down at Strategic Operations in San Diego. And when I am just out screwing around. It normally has a Level III lightweight plate in the front.

The back was an add-on piece. It is by the same company, and designed to go with the chest rig. It replaces a simple strap arrangement. I originally wanted more MOLLE real estate so I could mount more tacti-cool stuff. But I found that it all sits high enough on the back of my cheast that I couldn't reach anything I mounted there anyway. Instead I just have a simple MOLLE hydration pouch that I can rig on to it if I need to. But at this point I felt that it wouldn't be keeping with the purpose of this set up to leave it on there. If I am going to be going out long enough to need it, I brought the wrong carrier.

Last edited by gun toting monkeyboy on Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:50 am 

Mister Dark wrote:
AKFTW wrote:
Mister Dark wrote:

Interesting. I am thinking the extra webbing would give me more capability, while still remaining fairly lo-viz. (as low viz as a chest rig can be, that is)- waiting on an email from bcs to put the order thru. What mods did you get with the rig? At first glance, it looks stock... ?

The mods were the straps- Type 7 Parachute Webbing instead of the straps they use, no buckles on the very front of the rig, pouches are sized to fit either 47 or 74 mags, tan buckles instead of green, and the front panel is 1000D while the rest of the rig is 500D.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:33 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

AKFTW wrote:
The mods were the straps- Type 7 Parachute Webbing instead of the straps they use, no buckles on the very front of the rig, pouches are sized to fit either 47 or 74 mags, tan buckles instead of green, and the front panel is 1000D while the rest of the rig is 500D.

Cool, thanks for the info. So, why go with the para webbing?

Random stuff you really should buy from me. (Updated May 1, 2016

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:36 pm 

Mister Dark wrote:
AKFTW wrote:

Cool, thanks for the info. So, why go with the para webbing?

Low profile for use under packs and hydro carriers, it's also relatively soft/comfortable, and extremely durable. First had it done on my UW Gear rig as was their suggestion, and I love it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:30 pm 

tagged for interest

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:18 am 

subbing

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:08 pm 

izzyscout21 wrote:
Here's mine............ignore the fat kid under the armor..........

Front:
ATS Plate carrier with level 4 plates
TT rifle Single
TT Magna Mag pistol pouch
HSGI Bleeder
Admin pouch

Back:
GP pouch
TT medic pouch (has survival items)
TT Joey hydration pouch
Motorola Saber 2 in DBT MBITR pouch

ImageBelt:
Brokos Belt
Quad pistol mag pouch
Eagle industries 3 mag Hip panel
5.11 rifle shingle
HSGI Demo pouch
Surefire G3
CQB-1 knife
Safariland 6004/ Sig 226 Elite with Streamlight TLR-1
GPS

Pretty nice complete set up there, I have a question about the drop leg holster though. Do you find it comfortable? I have an accessory panel with a few pouches on it and it seemed to be pretty uncomfortable to move in. Maybe I need to adjust it differently.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:30 pm 

I guess I can post an opinion...

I HATE Safariland's leg platforms. Holsters are great... the leg platform... I think they should be offer a Men's version... without the double retention thigh buckles. To wear it properly you have to crush your "boys" or juggle them around and deal with the extreme discomfort.

-------------------------------------------------------
Sent from a long time ago... in a galaxy far far away...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:53 pm 

LivelyToaster wrote:
I guess I can post an opinion...

I HATE Safariland's leg platforms. Holsters are great... the leg platform... I think they should be offer a Men's version... without the double retention thigh buckles. To wear it properly you have to crush your "boys" or juggle them around and deal with the extreme discomfort.

-------------------------------------------------------
Sent from a long time ago... in a galaxy far far away...

that's what I found also. the rig I got was el-cheapo from the sportsmans guide, Two things make it uncomfortable from what I recall, one, the length of the thigh straps is to short. I used to weight lift a lot and my thighs are still quite well defined so the straps were way tight even adjusted all the way out. secondly the length of the drop strap is to short so the thigh strap is up into the nether region. If the drop strap and the thigh straps were each two inches longer it might be OK.
AT any rate for the price I paid it was still an OK deal because the three molle pouches it came with were worth the cost.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:30 am 

Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else
Just remove the top strap and jack the platform up as high as possible, and Safariland platforms are fine.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:07 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

tedbeau wrote:

Pretty nice complete set up there, I have a question about the drop leg holster though. Do you find it comfortable? I have an accessory panel with a few pouches on it and it seemed to be pretty uncomfortable to move in. Maybe I need to adjust it differently.

They take some getting used to. It's not optimum.

But to sum it up, the best option is THIS:

TDW586 wrote:
Just remove the top strap and jack the platform up as high as possible, and Safariland platforms are fine.

I've since totally re-done my rig and switches the ATS PC for an LBT 6094.

I'll have to post some pics when I get a chance.

http://www.shtfready.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:07 am 

Location: Here, unless I'm not, in which case, somewhere else
Kyle Defoor has a good tutorial on modding Safariland thigh rigs on his blog. If I wasn't on my mobile (and lazy) I'd link it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:33 pm 

There are a couple things you can do with Safariland holsters: there's the DFA (Drop Flex Adapter) that pretty much forces you to put that holster up on your upper thigh/hip area where it belongs. It also has the advantage of staying put to the point that if there's any load at all on the hanger against the belt, you're not movin' it. The other option that we have been seeing a hell of a lot more often, especially out of SF direct action troopers, is to hang that holster on a UBL (Universal Belt Loop). The UBL puts the holster far enough off the belt to clear armor, but keeps it off your thigh so your legs are unencumbered. Some guys run a leg strap with it still, which is optional, but can be done. Here's a pretty slick way to do that: http://lightfighter.com/?p=42.

The state of the art is always changing. My homie that owns Mayflower R&C gave me one of his fantastic UW chest rigs not too long ago. He's revised that design five times already. Luckily for me, Multicam is still cool.

http://www.atstacticalgear.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:47 pm 

I just bought this Blackhawk S.T.R.I.K.E.

The pouches are on the way. :awesome:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:50 am 

just got my new tactical tailor plate carrier in the mail, pickin up pouches in the morning. gotta love real multicam

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:26 am 

I know we don't have a dedicated load bearing gear chat thread, so I figured this might be the closest thread. I'm looking for a grey admin or small utility pouch and a grey hydration carrier.

Sadly Blue Force Gear, HSGI, don't offer these items in grey. I guess I should go look at Maxipadition? I think they have some grey stuff.

Who else makes various grey colored MOLLE pouches, etc.?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:59 am 

Ten Eight wrote:
I know we don't have a dedicated load bearing gear chat thread, so I figured this might be the closest thread. I'm looking for a grey admin or small utility pouch and a grey hydration carrier.

Sadly Blue Force Gear, HSGI, don't offer these items in grey. I guess I should go look at Maxipadition? I think they have some grey stuff.

Who else makes various grey colored MOLLE pouches, etc.?

Maxpedition makes Foliage, which is rather light Grey. Emdom offers SDU Grey, which should go great with HSGI and BFG stuff.

I have one of these in Sewer Green and I LOVE it, but I have to admit in SDU it looks like the most gorgeous hydro ever.

http://prostores2.carrierzone.com/servlet/emdomusa/Detail?no=113

They have a ton of SDU grey pouches and gear on their site, all their shit is rock solid and well designed.

That all said, we need a Tactical Nylon chat thread STAT :clap:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:46 am 

Thanks, I'll look at those. I wish Blue Force Gear would put more of their stuff out in grey, especially their M4 chest rig.

:ponders creating tactical nylon chat thread: :awesome:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:32 pm 

TAG Banshee Plate Carrier
Tag 6 mag open top shingle
2 BDS Strobe pouches in front
Condor double pistol pouch
HSGI blow out
ATS virtical pouch
BDS single point sling: woven into rig

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:10 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

Posted this pic on a different thread earlier, but I'll post it again (along with a different picture...)

TAG Banshee Plate Carrier
-Level III Steel Plates (front/back)
-3 30 round Troy Battle Mags
-SOG SEAL Pup
-Leatherman
-Lenovo Red Line LED Flashlight
-IFAK/Blowout Kit
-Hydration Carrier w/ 100oz Camelback (in rear)

Uncle Mike's Law Enforcement Duty Belt
-HK USP 45 w/ Insite UTL and Promag 20 round extended magazine
-Safariland 6004 SLS Dropleg (Modified to wear at the PROPER level for a dropleg!)
-5.11 Roll-Up Dump Pouch
-2 HK Factory 12 round magazines in Blackhawk Magazine Pouches
-Uncle Mike's Duty Belt Keepers (4)
-(Not Pictured) MOLLE Dropleg Medical Pouch with IFAK

Citizen: "What kind of guy knows all this survival stuff?"
Bob Brown: "A Renaissance man; you just found one. Congratulations, you're a lucky man!"

Emergency Physician / NREMT-P / SAR Tech / Eagle Scout

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:18 pm 

I haven't been posting here in a long time, but since there was a mention above of grey gear, this is my low profile rig, mostly grey tones.

Foliage green double shingle behind grey ten speed double. This setup is very trim and gets even slimmer, instantly, of course, when the first couple of mags are out.

Tourniquet

Monkey Combat admin pouch

This holds FA stuff as well as admin gear, which is mostly oriented towards note-taking during courses.

I have to stick a red cross on the admin lid to tip off others that might be interested in saving me, but I haven't had the chance yet.

Fortunately I am abrasive enough that most of the guys I shoot with probably wouldn't save me anyway.

Oh, there's also a double pistol mag pouch on there because I had a spare, and my other rig has the exact same thing in the exact same spot, so why not?

Flawless, sub-moa fit and finish...all day long.

.45 ACP is much easier to stop with armor than the smaller, faster 9 mm. On the other hand, the larger mass of .45 ACP allows it to do much better against windshields than 9 mm. What is optimal all depends on your likely engagement scenarios.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:06 am 

No pouches, yet.

:)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 475 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next