My CC was hacked...here are the retailers I used it at.

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Arch

My CC was hacked...here are the retailers I used it at.

Post by Arch » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:41 am

There is another thread on here about TAD Gear's site being hacked. I used my CC at TAD but that was a really long time ago.

About an hour ago I received a call from a Christian music store - they received a LARGE internet order and were suspicious because the shipping address was in a different state than the billing address. Kudos to the "Church Sound Store" because sure enough - it was fraudulent.

I called my CC company and discovered that within the past 72 hours there has been A LOT of fraudulent activity.

So you're aware...here are the ONLY places our CC has been used within the past 45 days:

* Rural King
* Wal-Mart
* Emergency Essentials
* Amazon.com
* Aim Surplus
* Cope's Distributing
* Scrap Yard Knives
* PayPal
* Gander Mountain

Based upon our "shopping tastes" its easy to tell we're a "survivalist family" :lol: . Nonetheless, I just wanted everyone to be aware that one of those locations allowed my CC info to be stolen.

NOTE: all internet orders are were placed via the "secure" method offered by the site. No information was given over the phone.
This thread was my final contribution to ZS:

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 25&t=77253" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My invitation to "take a break":

http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 1#p1698421" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I will not return to ZS so please don't send PM's. If you'd like to contact me please email...

formerlyZSArch@live.com

JojoZS
Favorite Zombie Movies: Sean of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead

Re: My CC was hacked...here are the retailers I used it at.

Post by JojoZS » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:43 am

Dang I've used 4 of those recently! :shock:
You got red on you.

whisk.e.rebellion
ZS Board Member
ZS Board Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later. Dawn of the Dead (both versions). Return of the Living Dead. Shaun of the Dead. Dead Alive.

Post by whisk.e.rebellion » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:46 am

That sucks, dude. I had a $3,000 fraudulent charge on my card last year. Something about aviation equipment in Panama.

Aside from someone actually taking your card number and using it, there are other ways that someone can use your card number.

Credit card (and debit card) numbers are mathematically generated. The first so many digits indicate type (Visa, MC, AmEx, Discover, etc) and the issuing bank (Wells Fargo, Chase, etc). The rest of the numbers are determined by various algorithms. The algorithms are publicly known, so it is possible for someone to generate a valid card number that just happens to be yours.
I survived Zombie Con 2011: Full Spectrum Pain
I survived Zombie Con 2012: Our word is "douchebag"
I survived Zombie Con 2014: <Insert inappropriate website here>

CLEAR CUT

Post by CLEAR CUT » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:48 am

Thanks for the heads up, Arch. I as well as our other members appreciate it.
The greatest mask of all is not wearing one.
You can't tarnish a rusted blade.
Zoltan wrote:Chimps are fucking dangerous
Don't ever forget your DBP's!

1200RT-P

Post by 1200RT-P » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:54 am

I had one of these things happen to me 6 months ago as well.

It wasn't from any of the businesses above (although i was worried about the TAD issue..).

Bank of America thinks my number was "siphoned" from a gas station pump ...... but kudos to them for picking up on it so quickly.

NorrisUnleashed
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead.
World War Z(I know not a Movie)

Post by NorrisUnleashed » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:08 pm

Thanks for the heads up.
Draugrbitr

Tony13
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil Series, 28 days later, Shawn of the dead

Post by Tony13 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:20 pm

Thanks agian for the foreawrning. Did anyone else notice the irony of a stolen CC being used at a Christian musc store?

Spinich

Post by Spinich » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:24 pm

Tony13 wrote:Thanks agian for the foreawrning. Did anyone else notice the irony of a stolen CC being used at a Christian musc store?
Yes, that was what I was going to say. Maybe said purchase would lead them to Jesus and they would repent from their evil ways.

"The Lord works in mysterious ways". :)

TheCrazyAunt
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead
Zombieland

Post by TheCrazyAunt » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:32 pm

I had 1200 dollars of unauthorized activity on my cc in 2 days last Feb. The cc company caught it and contacted me. We killed the card and the cc was very helpful in getting everything sorted out.
The only thing I had trouble with was a diet pill company that insisted on a police report to prove I had been ripped off. So I ended up filling out a report and sending them a copy.
The odd thing was, the idiot who did this had everything shipped to my home! Under a different name. Was I being pranked? Was it an inept thief? Did she/he think he/she could waltz up to my door and intercept the packages? (ha ha, since I'm home during delivery hours). I refused all the packages that arrived and started keeping a log of all packages refused and anything else having to do with this nonsense.
All in all it took 9 months to sort everything out.
My BOB and EDC
Well, you're kind of like an irritable Buddhist: every once in a while you get pissed and throw shit out.
Ok. But dogs can look up.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:37 pm

whisk.e.rebellion wrote:Aside from someone actually taking your card number and using it, there are other ways that someone can use your card number.

Credit card (and debit card) numbers are mathematically generated. The first so many digits indicate type (Visa, MC, AmEx, Discover, etc) and the issuing bank (Wells Fargo, Chase, etc). The rest of the numbers are determined by various algorithms. The algorithms are publicly known, so it is possible for someone to generate a valid card number that just happens to be yours.

This is true too. The other way that credit card data can be obtained is from the credit card company themselves. They have all had breaches in their security. You credit card data may have been compromised a while ago.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory?id=9514062" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.pcworld.com/article/141533/c ... _lost.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/securi ... may_b.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.net-security.org/secworld.php?id=8656" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

All I can say is check your credit card statement regularly.

Arch

Post by Arch » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:39 pm

Tony13 wrote: Did anyone else notice the irony of a stolen CC being used at a Christian musc store?
I thought the same thing, but I just visited their website and now understand. They sell PA systems, etc...not Christian music.

Regardless, the store did the right thing by contacting me. The guy I spoke with said he used online white pages to find a telephone number for me, because the order did not include one.

The store went above and beyond, and I greatly appreciate it.

Glad the post was helpful. We often hear about various forms of "identity theft" but until it happened my wife and I were pretty apathetic toward the possibility.
Last edited by Arch on Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This thread was my final contribution to ZS:

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 25&t=77253" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My invitation to "take a break":

http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 1#p1698421" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I will not return to ZS so please don't send PM's. If you'd like to contact me please email...

formerlyZSArch@live.com

GeneralDiscontent

Post by GeneralDiscontent » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:41 pm

TheCrazyAunt wrote: The only thing I had trouble with was a diet pill company that insisted on a police report to prove I had been ripped off. So I ended up filling out a report and sending them a copy.
The odd thing was, the idiot who did this had everything shipped to my home! Under a different name.
I had the same thing happen - all kinds of packages from "herbal supplement" places, diet pills, etc. I think the thieves use these companies to "test" if the card number is good.

I had to dispute each individual charge that happened, and wait 24 - 72 hours for the money & fees to be refunded. It probably would have taken a lot longer to sort out, but I was considering switching banks anyway after I got married, so I just closed the account altogether. FWIW, my wife had this happen back when we were dating, and her bank (National City) was EXCELLENT about it. They refunded ALL the money IMMEDIATELY, and overnighted a new card without us even asking.
Some of my write-ups you might find useful: My FAK, poncho mod, my BOAT, pressure canning, bulk food storage

Finch

Post by Finch » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:56 pm

GeneralDiscontent wrote:
TheCrazyAunt wrote: The only thing I had trouble with was a diet pill company that insisted on a police report to prove I had been ripped off. So I ended up filling out a report and sending them a copy.
The odd thing was, the idiot who did this had everything shipped to my home! Under a different name.
I had the same thing happen - all kinds of packages from "herbal supplement" places, diet pills, etc. I think the thieves use these companies to "test" if the card number is good.

I had to dispute each individual charge that happened, and wait 24 - 72 hours for the money & fees to be refunded. It probably would have taken a lot longer to sort out, but I was considering switching banks anyway after I got married, so I just closed the account altogether. FWIW, my wife had this happen back when we were dating, and her bank (National City) was EXCELLENT about it. They refunded ALL the money IMMEDIATELY, and overnighted a new card without us even asking.
my wife got 2 random "herbal supplments" charged to her account and they actually sent the product.

when we first got one i thought it was like some "free sample" and we just thru it out. she didn't notice the $20 charge but then they charged like $80.

The package came USPS from china with Chinese print all over it.

now the really odd part was that a man in a tie with a USPS ID came to deliver the package claiming they had a server crash and he was the manager helping out since it missed the truck.

I refused delivery and gave him the story about my wife's CC # getting stolen.

the tinfiol covered part of my brain wonders if it was drugs or machine gun parts or something illegal and he was a postal inspecter out to bust me.

all very odd
NRA XTC High Master
CMP Distinguished Rifleman

my blog: GarandThumb.com

thefirebuilds
Favorite Zombie Movies: sean of the dead...

that one where the nazis come out the water...?

Post by thefirebuilds » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:11 pm

Arch wrote: * Wal-Mart
* Amazon.com
* PayPal
* Gander Mountain
during my last hack these would have been on my recent history too. I think it speaks more to those facilities popularity rather than my suspicion of them.
A real outdoorsman only needs a knife and a harmonica.

EECHAY

Post by EECHAY » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:40 pm

Arch wrote:
* Wal-Mart
* Emergency Essentials
* Amazon.com
* PayPal

These. Same crud happened to me.
~We think in generalities, but we live in detail.
-Cpl Green, USMC, OIF I

thefirebuilds
Favorite Zombie Movies: sean of the dead...

that one where the nazis come out the water...?

Post by thefirebuilds » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:55 pm

I think Paypal is the most hackable interface I use, I'd be looking at that.
A real outdoorsman only needs a knife and a harmonica.

shrapnel
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Location: Aboard Baron von Counterculture's groovy purple dirigible, glaring down through a monocle.

Post by shrapnel » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:15 pm

I read the thread title and my first thought was, "How could anyone hack a concealed carry?"

:oops:

I need to get out more.

Also, that's crappy about your card, and thanks for the heads-up.
OTTB wrote:"What's that you're wearing?"
"This? Oh, just my rabies hat."
shrapnel wrote:Darling, I would never fondle your sphenoid.
Dr. Cox wrote: People aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings.
JamesCannon wrote:Shrapnel, if you were a superhero, you'd be Captain Buzzkill Peener Pain.

aa1pr
Favorite Zombie Movies: [size=14][b]I got [color=red]%65.3669724770642[/color][/b] on the
[url=http://zomboid.com/zombie]Ultimate Zombie Apocalypse Survival Quiz![/url][/size]

Post by aa1pr » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:38 pm

Lifelock

http://www.lifelock.com/default.aspx?pr ... ID=3022464" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:58 pm

Life Lock while useful (but not fool proof) for preventing identity theft, does not prevent credit card fraud if the scum can get your credit card number, expiration date and security #.

Murph

Post by Murph » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:05 pm

Sorry to hear Arch! I hope everything works out for you.
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

Tperkins
I was attacked by a honey badger

Post by Tperkins » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:16 pm

shrapnel wrote:I read the thread title and my first thought was, "How could anyone hack a concealed carry?"

:oops:

I need to get out more.

Also, that's crappy about your card, and thanks for the heads-up.
Dont feel bad, thats the first thing I thought too :lol:

I dont do credit cards, I usually just borrow on of my parent's cards (Again, I'm 18) and we got kinda messed up in the whole TAD Gear thing, but luckily the CC company caught the "Test Purchase" things of small dollar items to random places to see if anyone is monitoring the card and if it's good, and we stopped it there.

Shit like this sucks, and I really want to just keep using cash for as much stuff as I can. Having a good credit card available is always a good thing though, in case you need a large amount of money for an emergecy purchase.
"A Leader Is A Man That Can Adapt Principles To Circumstances." -Patton
My Kifaru BOB
My Dodge BOV
My Trauma Bag

1200RT-P

Post by 1200RT-P » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:18 pm

At 18, you should get a credit card to establish credit.

You'll need it when buying a car, house, etc. Use it wisely, and it'll be okay.

Tperkins

Post by Tperkins » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:30 pm

1200RT-P wrote:At 18, you should get a credit card to establish credit.

You'll need it when buying a car, house, etc. Use it wisely, and it'll be okay.
I hope to never buy a car with a credit card :lol:

I just mean I havent yet more so.
"A Leader Is A Man That Can Adapt Principles To Circumstances." -Patton
My Kifaru BOB
My Dodge BOV
My Trauma Bag

1200RT-P

Post by 1200RT-P » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:42 pm

:D

For what its worth, i meant you'll need "credit" when buying a car, not a credit card.

Most legitimate dealers won't let you put an entire car on a credit card, even if you have the necessary line. The credit card companies finance charges are just too much. Most places will let you put $3k max on your card.

Return to “Other Gear”