It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Buddy Burner
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:16 pm 

An old trick to help the soot wash off easy is to rub a bar of soap on the area where you think the flames will create the soot. It really helps a lot afterwards in the cleaning process.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TumblrShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:09 am 

Im wondering that if you dont use a lot of cardboard and more wax if you will get a longer burn time along with a still brilliant burn. Or mixing petroleum jelly in with the wax or mix something that inhibits faster burning.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:15 pm 
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Since this is still going, another trick.

If you use a tuna can or a cat food can, go to your local pet store and pick up the plastic lids that they sell for folks who only use partial cans of cat food. They'll fit right onto a tuna can.

Now they're plastic so you have to be a little careful with them but if you are, you can use them to snuff out the flame and once the can cools off, you can snap it on to keep the wax and whatever odor in and the dirt and whatever out. Drop the lid onto the can, snuff out the flame and then pull the lid off before it melts or gets deformed by the heat.

I found some at PetSmart, $1.99 for a two pack.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life:The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:20 pm 

JohnE wrote:
Since this is still going, another trick.

If you use a tuna can or a cat food can, go to your local pet store and pick up the plastic lids that they sell for folks who only use partial cans of cat food. They'll fit right onto a tuna can.

Now they're plastic so you have to be a little careful with them but if you are, you can use them to snuff out the flame and once the can cools off, you can snap it on to keep the wax and whatever odor in and the dirt and whatever out. Drop the lid onto the can, snuff out the flame and then pull the lid off before it melts or gets deformed by the heat.

I found some at PetSmart, $1.99 for a two pack.

To add to this if you use the safety kind of can opener with a tuna can or whatnot you can use the lid as a lid :P. But you would have to tape it down and around the lip to seal it well. I don't have one of those types of can openers so that option is lost to me :(

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:27 pm 

I made a few of these using some old soda cans. The thin aluminum allows you to tear the can to fit any height. The aluminum also acts like a heat sink, which makes the wax/cardboard mass cool down a little faster. Also fashioned a small stove from a tin chili can, it fits around the soda can and protects the flame from the wind. I use my multi-tool to pick up the stove and use a flat rock to put out the flame. Again, the soda can fits inside the stove (tin can) for easy packing.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:47 pm 

how does your little stove setup cook?
i really like the simplicity

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:57 pm 

I hooked up with xxxDarksidexxx and started talking about ways to make them burn longer with the ability to still cook with. I saw the layout of his buddy burner in the improvised gear thread and it got me thinking.

This is one I made today.

I am not sure how long it will burn but I am guessing that it is around the 4 hour mark.

Will get around to testing it in not too long.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:35 am 

Doc Loveless wrote:

Oops, guess I should have mentioned that huh? Hehe.

I wasn't able to reach a rolling bubble in under 10 minutes, but I think that has to do with the stove not allowing enough air to the fuel. I'm gonna retool the stove. It produces a nice little inferno by itself, I think it will work if I can just perfect the stove.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:34 am 

Joey_Numbers wrote:
Doc Loveless wrote:

Oops, guess I should have mentioned that huh? Hehe.

I wasn't able to reach a rolling bubble in under 10 minutes, but I think that has to do with the stove not allowing enough air to the fuel. I'm gonna retool the stove. It produces a nice little inferno by itself, I think it will work if I can just perfect the stove.

Try making some holes at the bottom. I think that it is having trouble bringing the cold air in since all the hot air wants to vent out of the top and the holes in the top of the can. Popping 5 or 6 holes evenly around the base should remedy that.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:50 pm 

On mine I did notice they want a lot of air, and top clearance to burn well. The more open you can make your stove the better- even to the point of cutting out most of the can and leaving legs, maybe.
Good use of the soda can! Did we ever find the perfect container to use? Something with a lid?

Mag Pouch PSK Contest
My Knife

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:54 pm 
ZS Member
ZS Member

What a great thread and website!

I have been saving an assortment of cans and cardboard and I'm determined to put thoughts into action this weekend. But I wanted to learn the finer points of buddy burners before I made a bunch of them, so I googled "buddy burners" and following one link to another ended up here.

I now know that all the Fancy Feast cat foods cans I have been saving to make small buddy burners won't be good for inside use as they have a white plastic coating on the inside. Bummer. But then I read the post about putting a screw in the bottom of the can for use as a torch. It will be fun to use them to line the pathway to my yet to be built sauna.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:56 pm 

elkhills wrote:
On mine I did notice they want a lot of air, and top clearance to burn well. The more open you can make your stove the better- even to the point of cutting out most of the can and leaving legs, maybe.
Good use of the soda can! Did we ever find the perfect container to use? Something with a lid?

Probably one of those film containers that were posted about earlier. I use tuna cans that have the lids cut off with a safety can opener so that you can put the top back on them and use a little tape to secure it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:04 pm 

Chef wrote:
Alternatively, if you JDGAF, you can leave the black stuff on your pots to absorb heat and boil water slightly faster. As long as you don't mind soot smudges on your gear.

Don't know if you saw it, but there was a little debate here about that. Supposedly the science says that a clean/shiny pot heats more quickly and is more efficient. About half way down the page.

http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=69636&hilit=black+pot+absorb+heat&start=24

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:09 pm 

I made three of these the other night, just for shits and giggles. I'll post up pics later, when I get home.

(o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
~Ronald Reagan~

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:57 pm 

Been there, done that, love 'em. I also use a variation of that idea I first saw in a Backwoods magazine. I don't use it for cooking, but for light around the camp at night, and it can be used as a local heat source if needed. All it is, is a DIY candle made with a wick from a kerosene lamp. It's made in a metal cup/small can/ etc. The wick is what makes it different. It is much wider than the regular candle wick and will put out much more light, and heat. The only issue is trying to blow them out; don't try it, they must be snuffed out with a lid of some sort. I came across some little restaurant type creamer server thingys made out of stainless steel, with attached, hinged lid. Found 'em at Goodwill. Self contained unit. Like I said, they put out a surprising amount of light for just one candle, and also a lot of heat; caution: the container will be very hot :!: I have never tried using it to cook with though. Sorry no pics now as I'm out of town at the moment, will try when I get back home. later...CD

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:08 pm 

I always have quite a few of these laying around...they're the reason I still haven't bought a "real" stove.

Seriously, it's hard to beat free AND efficiant.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:07 pm 

I made a couple of those a few days ago. I always keep melted and old candles instead of throwing them away. I used a side-cutting can opener, so I can replace the lid on top of it. I did wrap the edge with some electrical tape. I test them the other night while cooking BBQ, they worked great, I'm impressed.