Compass

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

feuer
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the comet
28 days/weeks later
Shaun of the dead

Re: Compass

Post by feuer » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:13 pm

As Biff mentioned above, my personal choice of gear usually revolves around "adaquate".
However, I do also place heavy value on durability. Mil-spec being a typical standard.

There is no doubt a compass is a valueable tool, and since the bells an whistles of compasses are fairly simple find, why not get them. Obviously, only what you actually can use is actually useful.

This compass is on sale for only $550:
http://www.thecompassstore.com/5010geo.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A decent price for a well equipped compass:
http://www.thecompassstore.com/51mc2gl.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A great value for a simple compass:
http://www.thecompassstore.com/7dnl.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I like this one:
http://www.thecompassstore.com/military3h.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I have a couple of plastic compasses that have lasted for years, but they only really saw some light orienteering action in the scouts. They wouldn't have survived the heat and sand of the gulf as well as this military compass. Survival is about durability.

Allen

Post by Allen » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:16 pm

Azimuth 235 here.

Cheers!
Please excuse this gratuitous effort to increase My post count.
thefirebuilds wrote: your memory creeps me out kinda.
I survived My first post to the Zombie Squad Forum, so You know I'm tough!

Biff

Post by Biff » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:58 am

. . .
Last edited by Biff on Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:55 pm

Thanks, Biff. I sit corrected. And when it comes to something as important as routefinding, I'm glad to sit corrected.
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

Mags
Favorite Zombie Movies: *cough*not a zombie*cough* "Dog Soldiers" Just watch it. I'm sure this crowd will approve!

Post by Mags » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:20 pm

FREE Compass, you pick, you pay shipping, that's it!

I have two up for anyone willing to pay shipping! No other charges or costs. Just promise you'll really try and learn how to use it. Land navigation is a perishable skill, meaning if you don't practice and keep up with it you lose it or at least some of it's finer points. These are extras that I never use. Everyone of my kits, and vehicles aready has a compass. These are looking for a good home.

First is a USGI "Stocker and Yale Inc." lensatic compass, tritium. It's been hit with dark green paint, tritium not as strong as it once was, (still glows,) 550 cord lanyard. Otherwise it's in great condition and accurate. $8 for Flat Rate Box.

Second is a Brunton Eclipse Model 8097. This is a clear baseplate compass. I only have the map-clip attachment not the whistle/lanyard. No other paperwork or accessories. $8 for Flat Rate Box.

If anyone is interested PM me your shipping addy, I'll in turn give you my shipping addy. As soon as I get the $8 USPS MO for shipping I'll get the compass in the mail and PM you that it's on it's way.

If nothing else the Silva Ranger for bout $50 has been around for a long time and the reason is, it's a great reliable compass worth taking a look at.
Last edited by Mags on Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MAGS BOB THREAD: http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 14&t=41853" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MAGS MED THREAD: http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 43&t=42670" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MAGS FOOD THREAD: http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 0&t=104784" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Well, for me, the action is the juice..........I'm in."

tilt

Post by tilt » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:41 pm

Towanda wrote: Bit of fascinating urban navigation lore I recently learned, and which has held true every time I've checked it: all satellite TV dishes in the Northern Hemisphere point due south.

Also, if your travels ever take you to South Korea, the anti-aircraft guns and Patriot misslie batteries all point North...
Murphy is my Co-Pilot

111t

Post by 111t » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:30 pm

I have a silva ranger that has served me well for many years. I use it mainly for backpacking. It is assigned to my camping gear. The Declination adjustment and sighting ability and ease of use with a map make it the overall winner in my gear inventory. The ranger also includes an inclinometer, which i rarely use. I suspect it could be used to aim a satellite dish though. I also have a couple of those cheapo silvas with the 'living plastic' hinge. I picked them up on clearance for $6 at wally world and for that price they're perfectly serviceable backups. The nice declination adjustment is replaced by the not quite so nice declination scale.

In my INCH which can be found in the trunk of my car year round, lives a stocker and yale issue lensatic. The liquidless induction damping system in these compasses means that they won't spring a leak and develop the accuracy killing bubbles from the temperature extremes while in storage. Declination must be figured manually with each calculation. Also there is a Military protractor with the compass. This is an important accessory if you plan on using one of these with a map.

(all of the clear baseplate style compasses are protractors.)
All the best!
-Paul

"A rifle behind every blade of grass?"
"No, but any blade of grass"

Ferrocerium...You know how to spell it... This is how you pronounce it...[fer-oh-seer-ee-uhm]
Bushcraft/Dayhiking Kit
Three season 72 Hour Kit
Ledmark alcohol cookset!!!
New Production Kerosene Pressure Stoves!!!
Car Emergency Preparedness Kit

tid
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days, Dawn of the Dead, Omega Man, Zombieland, Shawn of the Dead

Post by tid » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:30 pm

Biff wrote:Feeling a little lazy this morning, so I'm copying and pasting my reply in a similar post from this thread, entitled "Help Me Pick a Compass."

Brunton M2 Pocket Transit (a.k.a. model 6050):
This is one of my favorite pieces of gear of any kind. Really well made. A pleasure to use. It's a direct reading compass. There's a brief explanation of features here. It's too big for everyday carry, but kicks sand in the face of every other compass.

Brunton 8099 Eclipse:
This is a feature packed compass with excellent build quality, and I'm sure there are a lot of justifiably satisfied owners out there, but personally I'm not a fan of the "circle over circle alignment system" nor the rubber boot which makes what should be an easily pocketable compass a little too bulky for its own good. Too much so for EDC, certainly. A little buyer's remorse here.

Recta DP-65 Matchbox Compass (made by Recta in Switzerland and rebadged as the Suunto DP-65):
When considering something for EDC, the criterion of compactness gets a little more weight than usual, I think. Compactness without sacrificing function or quality, if possible. This compass takes up less than half the space of the Brunton Eclipse. But look at the feature list:
Compact, light, durable.
Declination adjustment.
Global needle with jewel bearing - can be used anywhere on the planet.
Degree and quad markings.
Luminous indicators.
Inclinometer.
Conversion tables on the back of the mirror.
Can be used with the mirror as a prismatic sighting compass.
With the mirror retracted, orientation lines on the transparent face allow map use.
More description and photos here.

Recta makes four versions of the matchbox compass: DP2, DP6, DP65, DP10. I think Suunto only offers the DP65. All the Recta versions can be seen here. (Scroll about 2/3 down the page.) FWIW, there is a rudimentary scale on the side of the case.

This is my EDC compass. I use it regularly while geocaching as a supplement to my GPS.

End Copy/Paste

@ Branden: How do you intend to use a compass?

Different compasses have different features and strengths. If you are just starting to learn about orienteering and navigation, I would recommend a combination sighting and baseplate compass - in other words, a good all rounder. That means it has a flat rectangular plate on the bottom (for map work) and a mirror for sighting landmarks.

Try either a Silva Guide 426 compass or the Brunton 26DNL. They're both around $20. They have enough features to begin learning with, and they are good quality. Even if you step up to a better compass later, either of these is worthy of keeping as a backup.

Silva Guide

Brunton 26DNL
back in the day when I was in the artillery, we used to use the M2 model. It was marked in 64,000 mils
NRA Certified Instructor Pistol, Rifle, Personal Protection in the Home
NRA Range Safety Officer
Glock Certified Armorer

Mags
Favorite Zombie Movies: *cough*not a zombie*cough* "Dog Soldiers" Just watch it. I'm sure this crowd will approve!

Post by Mags » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:20 am

:D The lensatic is spoken for but the Brunton is still up for grabs. $8 for shipping gets it! :D
MAGS BOB THREAD: http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 14&t=41853" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MAGS MED THREAD: http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 43&t=42670" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MAGS FOOD THREAD: http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 0&t=104784" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tilt

Post by tilt » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:35 am

Mags wrote::D The lensatic is spoken for but the Brunton is still up for grabs. $8 for shipping gets it! :D
Wow, I just saw that you were giving these things away. That's a pretty cool move.
Murphy is my Co-Pilot

Mags

Post by Mags » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:32 am

Thanks Tilt! :D

I can't believe I'm having trouble giving them away. Maybe after the first transaction goes smoothly and is posted someone will snatch up the other one. Hopefully somebody who needs it, not just to add to a compass collection.

tilt

Post by tilt » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:49 am

Yup, I half wanted to send you $8 for a compass, but alas, it would only be because I have a freakish obsession with navigation tools.
Murphy is my Co-Pilot

Allen

Post by Allen » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:27 am

Mags wrote:Thanks Tilt! :D

I can't believe I'm having trouble giving them away. Maybe after the first transaction goes smoothly and is posted someone will snatch up the other one. Hopefully somebody who needs it, not just to add to a compass collection.
That's really cool of You Mags!

Cheers!
Please excuse this gratuitous effort to increase My post count.
thefirebuilds wrote: your memory creeps me out kinda.
I survived My first post to the Zombie Squad Forum, so You know I'm tough!

AgentBlack
Favorite Zombie Movies: all of them, anything where the dead walk and eat people is cool with me.

Post by AgentBlack » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:37 pm

tid wrote: back in the day when I was in the artillery, we used to use the M2 model. It was marked in 64,000 mils
well i was'nt going to say it but since you did, the M2 is still standard issue for arty and mortar fire control in the USMC.

jamesraykenney

Post by jamesraykenney » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:39 pm

tilt wrote:There are many differences between compasses and quality. You definitely get what you pay for in terms of stability, durability and accuracy.

Like any other piece of gear, better features add money to the final cost, but will pay for themselves in terms of keeping you alive longer.

A good learner compass will cost you between $30 and $70(ish).

Get this book before buying a compass. Read the chapter on selecting a compass, then follow it's advice when going to the store.

http://www.amazon.com/Be-Expert-Map-Com ... 123&sr=8-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck.

I cannot describe how good that book is!!!

I have been reading it since I was a kid(now 48!!!).

jamesraykenney

Post by jamesraykenney » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:43 pm

The Sundance Kid wrote:
tilt wrote:There are many differences between compasses and quality. You definitely get what you pay for in terms of stability, durability and accuracy.

Like any other piece of gear, better features add money to the final cost, but will pay for themselves in terms of keeping you alive longer.

A good learner compass will cost you between $30 and $70(ish).

Get this book before buying a compass. Read the chapter on selecting a compass, then follow it's advice when going to the store.

http://www.amazon.com/Be-Expert-Map-Com ... 123&sr=8-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck.
But I could buy 3 (nice)compasses for the price of that book and find all the instructions you could ever need right on the interwebs.
You could buy three nice compasses for $12.89?!?!?! Where???

You can test some of the cheap ones, and find that when you take a bering on a distant object, that they will all read differently!!!

Good compasses will all read the same.

jamesraykenney

Post by jamesraykenney » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:46 pm

AgentBlack wrote:i've got a military lensatic, yes a real one that radioactive. but you can't buy those. the civilian ones are phosphoric and have to be charged by light to glow, but are not any better/worse as far as the compass pointy part. metal cased ones are heavy though. i would recommend a silva or quailty mountaineering one, if you have the skills or need to land nav. if not any of them wll point you somewhere near north. but remember without a degree dial of some sort you cannot triangulate your position on a map very well.
You can still get the radioactive ones... I have had one for over 10 years and it is still glowing.
I need to send it back to the factory for a checkup though, as the needle is stuck...
I am not sure how that happened as it is sealed and a dry compass(If I am not mistaken).

jamesraykenney

Post by jamesraykenney » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:54 am

kiwilrdg wrote:
Well, all of the good ones point north.
Then I would get lost because I am in an area where my declination would throw me off if my compass pointed North.

When you add that to the East bound lanes of the interstate going South and West I might never get home.

Some compasses point to Magnetic South and have numbers that run counter-clockwise.

That would be because the numbers are on the bezel that is fixed to the sighting mechnisem(like the Brunton Pocket Transit posted earlier).
If the compass is pointed north and you turn it clockwise(toward the east), the needle moves counterclockwise, and so the bezel is shows east to the LEFT of north. It makes sense the first time you use one and see what I mean in action.

Base plate compasses, and most others that have a rotating bezel, are used by pointing the compass in the direction you want to take a bearing on, and then rotating the bezel until the north symbol on the bezel is aligned with the needle, and then you read the bearing on the bezel where the bearing line meets up with the bezel.

The GI compass uses a rotating card attached to the needle so that you just read where the bearing line intersects the card/needle. It has a rotating bezel, but it is used by pointing the compass in the direction you want to go, turning the bezel until the luminous line lines up with the luminous pointer over North on the card, and you just keep them aligned while holding the compass pointed in the direction you are going.

See why you NEED a book???

jamesraykenney

Post by jamesraykenney » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:55 am

arrowolf wrote:
kiwilrdg wrote:
<snip>
Forestry Suppliers has about 65 different models so pick your poison.
Great company by the way.

jamesraykenney

Post by jamesraykenney » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:59 am

Biff wrote:
Towanda wrote:Bit of fascinating urban navigation lore I recently learned, and which has held true every time I've checked it: all satellite TV dishes in the Northern Hemisphere point due south.
T, you must live between 90° and 100° west longitude. Allen's a nor'easter. :wink:

The azimuth of a DirecTV dish can vary from 133° to 239°. Have a look here.

The bracket that it is mounted on should always be aligned parallel with the Earth's pole though, just like the polar axes of a equatorial mounted telescope.

jamesraykenney

Post by jamesraykenney » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:08 am

111t wrote:<snip>

In my INCH which can be found in the trunk of my car year round, lives a stocker and yale issue lensatic. The liquidless induction damping system in these compasses means that they won't spring a leak and develop the accuracy killing bubbles from the temperature extremes while in storage. Declination must be figured manually with each calculation. Also there is a Military protractor with the compass. This is an important accessory if you plan on using one of these with a map.

(all of the clear baseplate style compasses are protractors.)
Do you have a link for the military protractor???

111t

Post by 111t » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:18 am

i got mine as a gift from a serviceman. These look similar:

http://www.rangerjoes.com/protractor-ra ... p-329.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
All the best!
-Paul

"A rifle behind every blade of grass?"
"No, but any blade of grass"

Ferrocerium...You know how to spell it... This is how you pronounce it...[fer-oh-seer-ee-uhm]
Bushcraft/Dayhiking Kit
Three season 72 Hour Kit
Ledmark alcohol cookset!!!
New Production Kerosene Pressure Stoves!!!
Car Emergency Preparedness Kit

Mags

Post by Mags » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:46 am

JRK, your really in luck! If your taking the Brunton compass I'll throw in a military protractor or two! :D

jamesraykenney

Post by jamesraykenney » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:32 am

Mags wrote:JRK, your really in luck! If your taking the Brunton compass I'll throw in a military protractor or two! :D

Seeing as how no one else took it, I did.
I look forward to trying the military protractor!

I wish 'mils' were more used, as they make a LOT of calculations MUCH easier!!!

Return to “Other Gear”