My black canvas tactical kilt <Now in Multicam!>

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: My black canvas tactical kilt <Now in Multicam!>

Post by phil_in_cs » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:52 pm

Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

OFCJAX

Post by OFCJAX » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:59 pm

Jeriah wrote: My current holster is a standard nylon holster on a drop strap with a leg strap. Sounds like using this holster with the kilt is asking for trouble.
Yup
I definitely don't want box pleats; the style of pleats that both you and UtiliKilts use are major factor in the masculine look of your kilts. I agree 100%; box pleats look too high school cheerleader. I like that the cargo pockets will hold a pistol; I don't plan on carrying that way, normally (I don't presently CCW anyhow), but if in the future I started carrying concealed, it's nice that it's an option.
That's what I was going for. End user choice in what to use the loop panel for. Holster, Organizers, Mag pouches, whatever.

I'm intrigued by your suggestion of adding a MOLLE panel behind the pockets; this actually has the interesting possibility of allowing me to mount other MOLLE compatible stuff, such as mag pouches, Kifaru/Tactical Tailor/Emdom pouches, etc., as well as the holster. That's not a bad idea at all.
I can also make a MOLLE adapter to be used ON the loop panel inside the pocket as to not scare off the natives
So, here's what I'm envisioning now; let me know if this is what you had in mind: on the outside of the kilt, underneath the pockets, there would be a MOLLE/PALS grid, maybe 4 rows, 4 columns or so? This would be invisible with the pockets attached, but with the pockets removed, would allow for the mounting of MOLLE accessories, including holsters. I'd just have to find the MOLLE holster of my choice and attach it. Then, on the inside of the kilt, there would be some simple vertical loops of webbing, like belt loops, that I would use to attach a totally separate leg strap. The loops would be about as far apart as the pocket is wide, maybe a bit less, and this would stabilize the load on the MOLLE platform.
That was the idea, right.
This sounds like the way to go about attaching a holster to this kilt. I'd probably want it on both sides, partly because I've kinda got a thing about symmetry, but also because it sounds like it'd be cool to be able to put, say, mags or something on the far side.
Same here.
"Head=Dead"

Either way you look at it, "Blowing a Tranny" is a BAD thing.

The Makarov is the "crack ho", the SIG is the "$3000 a night hooker"

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:11 am

OFCJAX wrote:I can also make a MOLLE adapter to be used ON the loop panel inside the pocket as to not scare off the natives
By the loop panel you mean what I would call the "fuzzy side" piece of velcro, where you've mounted that holster in the pocket of the black kilt, right? It would kind of surprise me if a full size "tactical" MOLLE holster would fit in there. Do you think it would, or have I misunderstood something? This is the holster I'm imagining I'd use: http://www.optactical.com/modularholster.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It seems like if I was going to be carrying in-pocket, I'd be better off using a simple velcro-in holster like the ones Maxpedition sells for use in their Versapacks, and attaching it to the loop panel inside the pocket: http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/vie ... product=48" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm open to suggestions on this; it sounds like you know what you're doing a lot more than I do. If a MOLLE adapter on the loop panel would let me carry my Sig-Sauer P226 9mm in that Tactical Tailor MOLLE holster INSIDE the pocket, and you think that would be better than just throwing a simple Maxpedition velcro-in holster directly on the loop panel, that sounds pretty cool to me. It would be nice also since I could use that MOLLE adapter to put other MOLLE stuff in there, and still use the pockets.

Is all this MOLLE webbing going to add a lot in terms of weight and cost (i.e. your time)? Or is throwing some webbing on there not a big deal?

Speaking of which, I had the ridiculous idea that we should have attachment points for the groin protector in the back, too. Not that I actually think I'd run around with IBA groin protectors on the front AND the back of my kilt...but it would be kind of neat to have the option. (I assume the attachment points are next to nothing, just a loop of PALS webbing, or maybe a bit of webbing with a snap.)

I have some other questions which pertain to ordering/timeline, which I will send via PM to avoid cluttering the thread more than I already have.

Man, I'm pumped! This thing is going to rule!

OFCJAX

Post by OFCJAX » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:47 pm

Before we get ahead of ourselves here, do you even have a groin protector yet for me to use? There are different types out there so I'd prefer having the one to be used for exact fit.

My buddy has a 226 I can test fit for you but I'm sure it will be fine since my 92F fits in a Maxpedition type universal holster inside the pocket.

Weight may not be an issue but wear and comfort will be. Webbing against bare skin will only be comfortable for so long. I can make the straps out of folded over fabric for better comfort. As for time and cost, Yes, the more I work, the more you pay. Way of the world my friend.
"Head=Dead"

D-Train

Post by D-Train » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:18 pm

I don't get it. Seems everyone is pretty stoked about the kilt, but I'm honestly not sure why. I guess if you're Scottish it's cool. But I'm not Scottish.
"I wish for zombies everyday just so I don't have to go to work."
Finch

OFCJAX

Post by OFCJAX » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:41 pm

People wear clothes for several different reasons. Heritage, utility, to make a statement, etc. Kilts usually can convey all those things.
"Head=Dead"

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:52 am

D-Train wrote:I don't get it. Seems everyone is pretty stoked about the kilt, but I'm honestly not sure why. I guess if you're Scottish it's cool. But I'm not Scottish.
Are you French? They invented pants, you know.

When the Romans encountered the French (okay, the Gauls, or Gallic Celts, but basically, same thing), they made fun of them for wearing silly leg-things (pants) instead of a nice, manly tunic. At that time, most of the "civilized" world wore tunics, which were somewhere between an extra-long T-shirt, an LBD (okay, generally not black), and a pillowcase with arm holes. They could be linen, or wool, or you could wear a wool one over a linen one. The civilized world at this time largely meant the Mediterranean, discounting Asia, and defining "civilized" as meaning "having large, urban population centers," which is its literal meaning. So, tunics were for good, many Romans and other civilized peoples, and pants were for weird, backward, Northern European dirt herders like that French, Germans, British, etc. The Scots and Irish probably wore kilts that far back but I don't know of any documentation of it.

There were some examples of pant-type-things among the Romans; in cold weather they wore femenalia, from the word femens, meaning thigh. It's where we get the word "femur" for your thigh bone. These were basically Capri pants or board shorts, stopping just at the knee (or slightly above or below). I'd imagine they were mostly wool but the reconstructions I've seen are leather.

Speaking of weird fashions from history, I recall seeing a photo of the first ever pair of stirrup pants, from an Iron Age Danish peat bog...

So, yeah, my criteria for what to wear isn't based on the nation of its invention, but rather on whether or not it looks bad-ass.

Which these kilts totally do. 8)

knedgecko

Post by knedgecko » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:07 pm

/approves of this thread

ImfromtheGovt

Post by ImfromtheGovt » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:36 am

I have never seen such a thick beard on a Catholic School Girl in my life! :lol:

i keed i keed. ;)
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves"

-Ronald Regan

OFCJAX

Post by OFCJAX » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:00 pm

Wore it to the Kitbuilders weekend in ST. Louis along w/ my ZS shirt.
I was pleasantly surprised to see another young guy there Sunday wearing a Irish National Tartan kilt.
"Head=Dead"

elikc

Post by elikc » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:11 am

phil_in_cs wrote:Image
:lol: I like it and waiting for more like this..

PistolPete
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:43 am

Great looking kilt, OFCJAX! I've got a few utilikilts and I've been thinking about trying another brand for my next one. Yours looks really sharp and functional.

Jeriah, you may find that a small 1911 fits perfectly in many kilt cargo pockets. It's nice and flat, and if you stitch up a leather holster with a square profile it's hard to tell there's even anything in the pocket. I keep a Para Carry-9 in my pocket, and there's a bit more room vertically and horizontally for something bigger. A commander size 1911 was just a smidge too big for my pockets, but they may fit well in your kilts.
D-Train wrote:I don't get it. Seems everyone is pretty stoked about the kilt, but I'm honestly not sure why. I guess if you're Scottish it's cool. But I'm not Scottish.
I find kilts way more comfortable than pants. The same kilt can work as a casual garment and a dress garment, depending on what you wear it with. They also ventilate when you are moving, but hold in heat when you're standing, which is exactly what you want in cold weather. In hot weather a kilt your drawers or your junk has a chance of drying out, unlike pants or shorts where you end up with swamp crotch. It's a lot quicker to pee at a urinal. Cougars love them and will buy you drinks at the bar. Younger ladies take bets from their friends to check to see what you're wearing underneath. They have many advantages.

They aren't great at keeping out ticks and chiggars though, nor ideal for days where you'll be crawling around or climbing trees. :-)
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

Return to “Other Gear”