My black canvas tactical kilt <Now in Multicam!>

Other provisions not covered above that may make survival easier if your life is tossed out of the norm. This section is for discussing everything from arc welders to underwear.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

OFCJAX

My black canvas tactical kilt <Now in Multicam!>

Post by OFCJAX » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:19 am

Man this thing is comfortable!

Some of these pics were taken by a buddy with a much better camera and some were done kinda half ass.

For those that didn't see the ACU one I made, the cargo pockets are reversible/removable. BDU pocket on one side and EMT pocket on the other with a panel of loop on the inside for customization.

Can you really tell that there's a handgun in there?
Using the hook and loop, I put a holster in the right side pocket
I flipped it inside out so I could show a better image. The cool thing is this is a great way of setting up your accessories just right. Just flip it back out and you're golden.
Left pockets contents: wallet in a holster and nametape and bloodtape.
Unlike Warlocks, I used Mil-Spec webbing on mine where I could. Harder on the machine but I had it on hand.
In use
MOLLE belt. Completely hidden under the Kilt belt
This picture best demonstrates the belts workings. There are 2 rows of 1" webbing sewn down every 1 1/2" onto a 2" piece. That is in turn sewn down to the kilt every other stitch column (3") allowing for larger attatchment methods other than MOLLE/PALS. Such as this 2" wide cell phone pouch I made.
Here's showing that the belt goes all around except for the aprons.
Kilt pin goes through a sacrifice piece of velcro then just presses onto the loop panel. No more holes!
Behind the loop panel is my "Custom made for" tag and you can see the logo side of the hang tag on the bottom edge of the under apron pocket.
The reverse of the hang tag
The flashes both have Crisis pockets as well. Just enough to hold a challenge coin or some extra cash
Now you see it.....
Now you don't.

So, what do you think?
Last edited by OFCJAX on Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Head=Dead"

Either way you look at it, "Blowing a Tranny" is a BAD thing.

The Makarov is the "crack ho", the SIG is the "$3000 a night hooker"

IllicitDreams
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most anything Romero, Shaun Of The Dead, 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later, you know the basics...

Re: My black canvas tactical kilt

Post by IllicitDreams » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:07 am

That sir is a really really nice kilt.
ImageImage
My Pocket Survival Kit/My EDC/My Blog

CERT Volunteer, Amateur Radio Operator, SKYWARN Certified Storm Spotter

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:18 am

Nice kilt!!!

We're having our first official meeting of our brand new New York ZS chapter next weekend, and I may celebrate the important event by wearing my camo-kilt for a group picture!

Jamie
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

SamuraiBobX26
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil, Evil Dead, Night of the Living Dead, Dead Alive

Post by SamuraiBobX26 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:33 am

Where are the pics because I can't see them.

But, a friend of mine has a utili-kilt that is pretty neat so I have an idea of what yours looks like.
A Sword may be sharp, but a keen mind is sharper.

Only after disaster can we be resurrected.

OFCJAX

Post by OFCJAX » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:19 pm

Mine has a few features UK's don't. Same style of pleats but other than that not a lot in common. I have started a side business making these. You can check out my work on http://www.kiltsrock.com/forum/index.php?showforum=90.
"Head=Dead"

JohnnyMayhem

Post by JohnnyMayhem » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:14 pm

How much, and where can we score them?
Art Vs Mayhem
www.johnnymayhem.com

FlungPup
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido

Post by FlungPup » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:19 pm

I'm officially changing from french to scottish as of right now!
Swing Your Fists While You Still Have Them!

"Successful outcomes breed bullshit solutions." - Paul Gomez

Dagger6
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, resident evil:extinction, land of the dead, shaun of the dead, and related: omega man, road warrior, red dawn

Post by Dagger6 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:28 pm

Simply fucking PAWsome!!
"BONA NA CROIN".

OFCJAX

Post by OFCJAX » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:14 pm

JohnnyMayhem wrote:How much, and where can we score them?
Look at the link above. All the details are there.
"Head=Dead"

ninja-elbow
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: DotD '04
DotD
NotLD

Post by ninja-elbow » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:49 pm

:shock: << add drool coming out

That is pretty damn cool. You even tacticooled the flashes.

I always never really liked UKilts becasue of all the nickle plated rivets they use and I hate those but yours is all just well sewn and tacked goodness.
President ZSC011
Part Viking, Part Siamese

OFCJAX

Post by OFCJAX » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:10 pm

If I can go to the Convention in St. Louis, THIS is what I'll wear with me ZS shirt.
"Head=Dead"

Squirrley

Post by Squirrley » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:53 pm

Is this the answer we've been looking for, regarding a ZS uniform? :P
Gundown wrote:Then I saw the bear and thought... holy shit this rum is fucking awesome!

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:36 pm

Squirrley wrote:Is this the answer we've been looking for, regarding a ZS uniform? :P
It would be if it was...wait for it...you know...MultiCam! 8)

I may be stupid, but following that link and nosing around a bit didn't really lead me to clear info on pricing, turnaround, etc. I definitely want a MultiCam kilt; I've been trying to decided between the Utilikilt standard model and the Survival. Unfortunately, because Utilikilts don't like doing custom work, they charge DOUBLE the normal price for the kilt, plus you provide the fabric. So, a MC standard would be about $300, and the Survival would be $600! I understand why (they very good naturedly provide a deterrent to custom requests in their FAQ; basically they'll do 'em but they don't really like to). I've been very happy with their kilts, I own two, but I would consider another maker if either the product had certain desirable features, was cheaper, or both. I like the MOLLE, for example.

OFCJAX

Post by OFCJAX » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:44 pm

You want Multicam?

OK

Say hello to my little friend!
http://www.kiltsrock.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=8988

You want it? You got it!
"Head=Dead"

AmirMortal
Favorite Zombie Movies: ALL! 28 days later...

Post by AmirMortal » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:10 pm

yeah, I tried and failed as well to find a price for a kilt. I found stickers and such, but no prices on the thing I want. Please post a link to the prices.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:15 pm

OFCJAX wrote:You want Multicam?

OK

Say hello to my little friend!
http://www.kiltsrock.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=8988

You want it? You got it!
Oh, I am all over that like scabies on a hooker. I have got to get me one of those.

It does make me a little sad that I won't be the first kid on the block with a MultiCam kilt...but I'm pretty happy being the second, or even one of the select few...

I'll check out that forum a bit more and PM you with details re: purchasing details and timeline.

OFCJAX

Post by OFCJAX » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:33 pm

AmirMortal wrote:yeah, I tried and failed as well to find a price for a kilt. I found stickers and such, but no prices on the thing I want. Please post a link to the prices.
Here you go.
http://www.kiltsrock.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=8640
"Head=Dead"

gothamalleyviper

Re: My black canvas tactical kilt <Now in Multicam!>

Post by gothamalleyviper » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:21 am

Hmm if I seen the UD camo, can I get one made?
Y.T. wrote:and it's less like a cop who feels she's above the law and more like a cop who doesn't feel the need to flash her badge everywhere or starch her panties. ;)
2 seconds to outwhit the Joker, so I pants him. He just let me go!
Y.T. wrote:I found camo print cloth menstrual pads the other day. I wouldn't be surprised if someone had made a camo dildo.

OFCJAX

Post by OFCJAX » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:08 am

gothamalleyviper wrote:Hmm if I seen the UD camo, can I get one made?

I can make them out of any suitable material. Camo, solids, prints, denim, whatever.
"Head=Dead"

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Jeriah » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:17 am

So, taking advantage of the custom nature of this product, I'm thinking of a couple of additions. The first one is that I want to get a MultiCam carrier for the Interceptor groin protector, and have the kilt fitted with attachment points (snaps? webbing? webbing with velcro? webbing with snaps?) to allow the groin protector to be fitted in the "sporran" position, solid but removable (so I can still put it on a vest). BULLETPROOF JUNK FOR THE WIN!

There was also something on the kiltsrock.com forum that someone mentioned that I liked, which was the idea of having some kind of slot on one side, or a pair of smaller "buttonhole" slits, to allow a drop-leg holster to be worn on the belt, hang down on the side of the kilt, and have the thigh straps go through the kilt and around my leg. The removable pockets would come in handy, since it would probably make sense to remove the pocket to put the holster in its place.

I imagine I could just buy the groin protector, then send it and my holster in, so you could put the attachment points in the right place, and just send them back to me with the kilt?

I'm totally wearing this thing to Knob Creek in April. 8)

OFCJAX

Post by OFCJAX » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:43 am

The drop leg holster thing is "tricky" to say the least. It depends a lot on how and where you where it.

What kind of holster is it? If it's the type that attaches to the leg platform via bolts or screws, I can do that and allow for some adjustability. If you mean a standard Nylon with a leg strap only, I'd have to know EXACTLY where you wear it. Best way to do that is to make it, have you wear it THEN fit the holster leg slots. Kinda hard to do if not in person.

My suggestion: I can add a MOLLE panel behind one of the cargo pockets (will be hidden by the pocket) or inside to replace the loop panel. Then add a set of "loops" on the inside of the kilt so you can find the right spot for the leg strap. just add a MOLLE based holster and you're good.

As it is, you can wear a good size pistol in the over sized cargo pocket(8"x8"x1) without needing a leg strap. It's just hard to allow for leg strap on these kind of pleats. Now if you used "Box pleats" I could do that and use velcro inside the inner pleats to hide the openings when not in use and allow for some adjustability. I just don't like box pleats all that much. Looks too "High school cheerleader" to me.
"Head=Dead"

Snakedriver
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (Remake), Dead Alive, Zombieland

Post by Snakedriver » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:00 am

Yeah, that is going on the list of must haves.

Nice work!
Formerly known as OHMR95B

AR/HK USP45/Pro Shotgun/Pro Cake

To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Jeriah » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:01 pm

OFCJAX wrote:The drop leg holster thing is "tricky" to say the least. It depends a lot on how and where you where it.

What kind of holster is it? If it's the type that attaches to the leg platform via bolts or screws, I can do that and allow for some adjustability. If you mean a standard Nylon with a leg strap only, I'd have to know EXACTLY where you wear it. Best way to do that is to make it, have you wear it THEN fit the holster leg slots. Kinda hard to do if not in person.

My suggestion: I can add a MOLLE panel behind one of the cargo pockets (will be hidden by the pocket) or inside to replace the loop panel. Then add a set of "loops" on the inside of the kilt so you can find the right spot for the leg strap. just add a MOLLE based holster and you're good.

As it is, you can wear a good size pistol in the over sized cargo pocket(8"x8"x1) without needing a leg strap. It's just hard to allow for leg strap on these kind of pleats. Now if you used "Box pleats" I could do that and use velcro inside the inner pleats to hide the openings when not in use and allow for some adjustability. I just don't like box pleats all that much. Looks too "High school cheerleader" to me.
My current holster is a standard nylon holster on a drop strap with a leg strap. Sounds like using this holster with the kilt is asking for trouble. I definitely don't want box pleats; the style of pleats that both you and UtiliKilts use are major factor in the masculine look of your kilts. I agree 100%; box pleats look too high school cheerleader. I like that the cargo pockets will hold a pistol; I don't plan on carrying that way, normally (I don't presently CCW anyhow), but if in the future I started carrying concealed, it's nice that it's an option.

I'm intrigued by your suggestion of adding a MOLLE panel behind the pockets; this actually has the interesting possibility of allowing me to mount other MOLLE compatible stuff, such as mag pouches, Kifaru/Tactical Tailor/Emdom pouches, etc., as well as the holster. That's not a bad idea at all.

So, here's what I'm envisioning now; let me know if this is what you had in mind: on the outside of the kilt, underneath the pockets, there would be a MOLLE/PALS grid, maybe 4 rows, 4 columns or so? This would be invisible with the pockets attached, but with the pockets removed, would allow for the mounting of MOLLE accessories, including holsters. I'd just have to find the MOLLE holster of my choice and attach it. Then, on the inside of the kilt, there would be some simple vertical loops of webbing, like belt loops, that I would use to attach a totally separate leg strap. The loops would be about as far apart as the pocket is wide, maybe a bit less, and this would stabilize the load on the MOLLE platform.

This sounds like the way to go about attaching a holster to this kilt. I'd probably want it on both sides, partly because I've kinda got a thing about symmetry, but also because it sounds like it'd be cool to be able to put, say, mags or something on the far side.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Jeriah » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:03 pm

This looks like the holster I'd buy: http://www.optactical.com/modularholster.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Affordable, good brand, and it comes in MultiCam.

Return to “Other Gear”